PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my first transmission...

coachreed
04/26/2004, 07:33 AM
During the conversion process I have had to dive into my first ever transmission rebuild. It was meant to be as simple as pulling the tranny apart, swapping the output shaft for a 4x4 output shaft... shorter than the Camaro output shaft... and put back together with a few seals. Well, when I dropped the pan off, I found some brass shavings in the pan... that was the start of a bad sign. I pulled the torque convertor lock-up solenoid and then the front pump. I found that the first bushing into the front drum and where the front pump goes is chewed up pretty bad. Well, I figured I'd just do a simple rebuild... bought a kit which has the clutches, steels, seals and whatnot... I ended up at a transmission part supplier to get the bushing that was worn out... and went next door to a tranny shop to ask a couple questions... well, turns out I need a new front drum... $65... and he thinks its possible my front pump might be trashed... who knows how much that is... and told me to bring the other drum up as well... so now I'm looking at having an addition $200 into the tranny that supposedly has only 17K miles on it... and it probably gonna cost me more along the way... I hope to God I don't run into a problem with the motor like I did the tranny... cuz if I do, I'll be making a road-trip to Chicago to wipe someone out of existence! Geesh! OK, I feel better now that I vented... anyway, after this ordeal, I think I'll be a master at tranny rebuilds! lol

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

nater
04/26/2004, 08:10 AM
coachreed, It's amazing to watch you work. Automatic transmissions are quite complex, and you obviously have a knack for cars. Have you thought about opening your own shop? There are people that pay top dollar for such talent, and at the rate your skill seems to be developing, you could really excel.

Anyway, I hope to see the V8cross up and running soon!

Nate

coachreed
04/26/2004, 03:54 PM
OH boy! I think we have a problem... I think we have a person who passed off a motor and transmission as something it really isn't. LS1 motors come in sizes from 5.3L-6.0L... and maybe even different sizes at this point... anyway, turns out from talking to the transmission parts supply house, I DON'T have a 4L60E transmission... from what they see, I have a 4L65E transmission... which from what they are telling me wasn't used in an F-body... which I already knew! Sooo... I have to get casting numbers from my transmission and bellhousing as well as the torque convertor so I know what I have... I guess I also need to find out about casting numbers on the motor too! If you can imagine, I have had a REALLY bad day today... I'm not about $340 deeper into my project... more than what should be expected in a transmission that supposedly has only 17,XXX miles on it! Geesh! Did I get taken? Is there anyone in Chicago that wants to pay a visit to the guy I bought my motor/tranny from?! I hate this!

Anyway, I'll TTYL!

Coach!

Daver
04/27/2004, 12:26 PM
DOCUMENT and PHOTOGRAPH everything.

Done good so far, but don't forget at this stage now that you have legal/fraud concerns.

Sorry I can't be much help otherwise...hope this situation works out for ya.

-Daver

SGT.BATGUANO
04/29/2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by coachreed Is there anyone in Chicago that wants to pay a visit to the guy I bought my motor/tranny from?!

E- mail me.

Mr. I-MAN
04/29/2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah I can lean on this rat a little bit too!

coachreed
04/29/2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys... I'll email you later on... I need to track his contact info down... I know I have it at home... I need to make ONE more call to him today or tomorrow AFTER I get the exact information on EACH part of the tranny (tranny case, bell housing, torque converter)... I hope that once I call him and tell him what he gave me and express my dissatisfaction with his pulling a fast one on me that he will 'fess up and make restitution... but I don't fully expect that. Anyway, thanks again guys... I'll contact you later on, OFF the board. TTYL!

WyrreJ
04/29/2004, 05:57 PM
Imagine five or six guys in black VX's pull up to his house together. They all wear dark clothes and sunglasses. They don't knock, instead they use a megaphone and call for him by name to come out of the house. Now. That would probably be a good start at intimidating the crap out of the guy.

VX922
04/30/2004, 09:47 AM
I believe that you purchased the powertrain from Ebay. You might consider to leave propriet feedback for this guy and mention this situation to the Ebay administration as well.
Good luck

SGT.BATGUANO
05/01/2004, 09:20 AM
Not sure they'll be much help after 30 days.