PDA

View Full Version : 20" wheels....pics

Bagheera
04/23/2004, 01:51 PM
Here's some pics...it just rained so excuse the filthy VX...will update these on my profile on a nicer day & with a better digi cam. It's hard to make out the detail of the wheels here.

20 x 8.5 Panther 241 Goodyear GT2 285/50/R20

~Kierstenhttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/766vx_side_wheels-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/766vx_back_wheels-med.jpg

Medman
04/23/2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks for posting the pics. Those wheels look hot!! Just a few questions if you don't mind, did you lift your VX, if so, which springs did you use? (OME or Calmini?) Also, how far do the wheels stick out on the sides? If you could answer these that would be great!

-Medman

Bagheera
04/23/2004, 03:32 PM
Hi Medman!

There is no lift on the VX, but we did do some trimming....the roads are BRUTAL around here as far as pot holes and cracks on the highways so I wanted to be sure that there would be no rubbing at all.....so far so good ;) and you can't even tell how much we took off the cladding....So no lift and still the stock springs etc.

I'll get a better pic soon from the front....you can see how far they stick out then, but it's about 1.5" and the wheels had a 10 offset to get it like that.

~Kiersten

DaPenetrator
04/23/2004, 04:01 PM
Nice looking setup! I'm actually considering that wheel myself. Been shopping around and pricing comparing the past couple of days. But isn't that wheel a 20x9.5 instead of 20x8.5?

Any particular reason why you choose the 285/50/R20, over the 275/45/R20, which would have given you an overall wheel height closer to stock? According to the tire calculator your 285/50/R20 is almost 2" taller than stock and 3.3 miles per hour faster. Basically when your speedometer indicated 60, you're actually going 63.3 (unless you had it recalibrated). That's could be the difference between a speeding ticket and not. FYI, the 275/45/R20 would have only put you at .1" taller than stock and only .3 miles per hour faster.

Still, I love your setup. Really looks sharp! I'm not being critical. Just something to think about when you have to replace those tires.

Bagheera
04/23/2004, 04:42 PM
Hey DaPenetrator,

Yeah....you are right! It's a 20 x 9.5 :D

I did consider the 275/45/20, but thought I could squeeze the bigger ones on, but I had no idea that the ones I have are 2" taller...I wasn't really concerned about the speedo :rolleyes:
I'll know the cops hiding spots on my regular route..heehee

Hey, does that mean that the miles accumulate on my odometer slower?

Thanks for the info!

~Kiersten

Kahuna
04/23/2004, 04:54 PM
That's what I'm looking for!!!;Dr;

Just a few days ago I posted a thread asking exactely what you are showing.

I really like the setup, and with no mods!!!!!!!!!

I know some people are hesitant about giving out the price...and only if you feel like it------HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY! I might have to break open my piggy bank.

Anyhow, looks great-be proud!!

Bagheera
04/23/2004, 06:06 PM
Hey Kahuna!

Thanks so much ;Dy;

I got them off a company that sells them on Ebay, but bought direct instead of bidding. Here's a current listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474967581&category=38662

I paid the same price, but I had to get them to Canada so it cost me a bit more on shipping/taxes at the border......if I were to get them from a company here with the same tires it would have cost me almost $5000.00 so I saved big $$$$$$....I will always buy stuff like wheels/cars/VX's from the U.S. ;)

I did have to trim a bunch of cladding to get them to fit.....keep that in mind when (if) you get them....if you do, you'll LOVE them!

~Kiersten

DaPenetrator
04/23/2004, 08:52 PM
Kiersten, since your wheels are spinning faster than your speedometer is calibrated, you're actually be going further and clocking fewer speedo miles. Basically, if your traveling 60 miles per hour based on your speedo speed, and your wheels size gets you there 3.3 miles quicker, then you will have only clocked 56.7 miles on your speedo, but travelled the full 60 miles. So yeah, over time going the extra 3.3 miles per hour should save you some miles on the speedo.

Just be carefull and keep an eye out of the coppers.

Your pictures are really making me lean more towards the Panther 241's instead of some of the others that I've been considering. But I think I'll stick with the 275/45/R20's to avoid having to trim the cladding and/or having run-ins with the police. I seem to be a PM (Police Magnet) :rolleyes:

Y33TREKker
04/24/2004, 01:08 PM
Now that you actually have that size rim/tire combo installed, can you tell if a higher offset could be used to get the combo farther into the wheelwell without rubbing?

Bagheera
04/26/2004, 01:50 PM
Hi Y33TREKker,

When I ordered the rims, they told me they had a +10 wheel and a + 20 offset there as well......I was having a huge dilema over what to do, but I told them that I wanted the tire/wheel to stick out about 1.5" so they said go with +10 for the offset....I am not too if the +20 would sit too much farther in.....I'll let someone else with 20" rims chime in on that one.....

Anyone else with 20's know what the ideal tire pressure for a 285/50/20 goodyear GT2 tire would be on our VX?

Thanks guys/girls
:D

lenny
04/26/2004, 01:58 PM
hi

after alot of searching and contacting tyre (tire) companys
all told me to run the same pressure as factory

i know alot say put this and that amount in them

im not saying its wrong but ive done about 15k on mine now and they wear evenly

hope this helps

theericharris
04/26/2004, 03:31 PM
I love the wheels/tires! Looks sharp... now you just need to tint your windows :D

Tinting the windows is probably the cheapest mod you can do that makes your car look completely different and cool... rims are the next cheapest. Nothing like a black car with black windows to match.

Thanks for the pics.

-Eric

Bagheera
04/26/2004, 03:34 PM
Hey Eric,

Oh I know....that's next on my list...in fact I have a gift certificate from Christmas for that...I should get on that soon ;)

Thanks for the compliments too!

~Kiersten

Chopper
04/26/2004, 04:57 PM
those great big wheel& tire combos look good for sure.......just realize heavier wheels & tires change the entire braking an' handling. Greater unsprung mass= not good. Forget bigger, think lighter. Just a thought.

WyrreJ
04/26/2004, 07:56 PM
Speaking of lighter wheels, does anyone make titanium or magnesium, or some other lighter material, wheel for SUVs? You can find all kinds of ultra-light wheels for sports cars, but I spent a couple of hours search on the net a few months ago and found nothing for SUVs.

DaPenetrator
04/27/2004, 05:31 AM
I could never imagine putting anything other than some type of steel or steel alloy wheel on an SUV since they have such hard suspensions. I have magnesium alloy rims on my Benzo and they are soft of F*&K. I busted 2 tires and bent 2 rims hitting potholes this past Winter. I swear, if I have to replace one more $800 rim or another $200 tire on that car, I'm putting some raggy old steel rims with no finish on it.

Don't think there's a way to go bigger and lighter at the same time with a SUV. U want lighter, put a set of those dinky little Scion wheels on your VX :D That should make for an interesting (if not funny) looking mod.

doubleadesign
04/27/2004, 06:37 AM
I'm getting a similar setup today. I different wheel look but I'm pretty sure it's the same size. $2400. They were even special ordered. But he tire/wheel shop owner has a VX so I think he has a soft spot for others. I can't wait to get the Baja Claws off!

sam
04/27/2004, 10:39 AM
Look in the photo gallery under Sam to see what my Vx looks like with 20" on!!!!!!

doubleadesign
04/27/2004, 11:37 AM
of where a bunch of us split off. I am looking forward to my new 20's but I had to be assured there would be enough meat (rubber) so the tires didn't look anemic. Nothing against sam's ride but, like lowering a VX, it's not my taste. I believe there was a thread arguing this very point. I just happen to be on the side that see the VX needing more meat.

t2p
04/27/2004, 02:36 PM
..... one of the unique aspects of the VX - this is a vehicle that lends itself to just about anything ........
low profile 20's .............. 32" off road tires ..............
lifted .......... lowered ............
I like it (just about) stock .......
some spend the weekend going over their VX with wax - while others are in three foot deep bogs .......
a very versatile vehicle

WyrreJ
04/27/2004, 07:52 PM
Makes you want to buy two.

Y33TREKker
04/28/2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Bagheera
Hi Y33TREKker,

When I ordered the rims, they told me they had a +10 wheel and a + 20 offset there as well......I was having a huge dilema over what to do, but I told them that I wanted the tire/wheel to stick out about 1.5" so they said go with +10 for the offset....I am not too if the +20 would sit too much farther in.....I'll let someone else with 20" rims chime in on that one.....

I guess I was just curious how close that particular offset, wheel size, and tire size brought the tire to such things as the struts, and the inner fender wells and frame when turning lock-to-lock. Before I bought the wheels and tires for my car (after lowering it), I checked to see how close the stock wheel/tire combo came to the strut spring perches so I'd know about how much room I had to work with. I then started experimenting with rim/tire size calculators like the one on www.1010tires.com to find out what rim and tire widths (with the appropriate offsets) I could use to keep everything as far into the wheel wells as I could without rubbing against anything during normal use.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

The calculator will give you overall dimensions (in three-dimensional form) for making comparisons, which is especially useful when you're also considering changing rim and tire 'widths'. After Plus-Two sizing, this is what I came up with on the car:

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/20044281658037153366014.jpg

I'm about as close as I cared to get to the spring perches with my tires, and about as close to even with the fender lines without sticking out as I could get. That's for a car though, and obviously SUV's are somewhat different depending on whether you prefer a street, or an offroad look.

I think your set-up looks great, don't get me wrong, I'd just prefer to keep things inside the fender lines if at all possible. And If I could do that with 20's by just going with a higher offset, that would work for me. Specifically, I'm curious how close the top/inside of the tire on the new setup is to everything. Since 1.5" = 38.1mm though, merely going from a +10 to a +20 wouldn't achieve my goal. Keeping a set of 20's inside the fender wells may just mean having to go with a narrower setup.

Sorry for the novel. Using the tire size calculators is one thing, but real world measurements are even better.

doubleadesign
04/28/2004, 04:34 PM
But, i just put on 20's/9.5. And the offset had to be 0. So from the above post it looks like it really depends on the rims your getting. mine stick out about an inch and the cladding needed trimming.

Cyrk
04/28/2004, 06:59 PM
doubleadesign... let's see some pics!

doubleadesign
04/28/2004, 07:57 PM
tomorrow. I promise. I wish I had done this mod sooner.

Y33TREKker
04/29/2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by doubleadesign
But, i just put on 20's/9.5. And the offset had to be 0. So from the above post it looks like it really depends on the rims your getting. mine stick out about an inch and the cladding needed trimming.

That might partly answer my question of whether Bagheera still had some room to work with between the tire and the strut, etc then. It brings up a couple of other questions though. When you measured the width of your 20x9.5's, did you measure the rims from actual inside edge to outside edge, or bead-to-bead? Bead-to-bead is what determines the rim width spec.

And did you use the exact same tire size on your 20x9.5's that Bagheera did on his 20x8.5's, or something slightly wider? If you had to go wider because of the wider rims, I'd be curious about how much room you still have between the upper/inner side of your tire, and the strut and inner fender well/frame too.

Going by my calculations, both of your setups should stick out about the same distance from the face of the rotor, give or take a couple of millimeters. But if you measured your 20x9.5's from edge to edge rather than bead-to-bead, that would account for the 1/2" (12.7mm) difference you mentioned.

Then again.....I could be wrong. :mbrasd:

:D

t2p
04/29/2004, 08:40 AM
(semi off topic - but related) ......
as for the cladding clearance ....... 265-60-18's on stock wheels made contact with the cladding on my VX ...... maybe this particular brand of tire is larger than some other 265-60's .........
or maybe my VX sits a tad lower than many other VX's .....
???
(off topic and not related) .....
Y33 - you might have liked the frame/bike one of my buds had - a limited ed Y50 (Y5O ?) ........ not the light blue carbon frame that I have seen in a few Trek brochures, but a black carbon frame with red and green (rasta type) accents ..........

doubleadesign
04/29/2004, 05:07 PM
I just went to the best shop in town. Showed him a few pics on the board and piced my rim style. He did the rest. I only know about the 0 offset because he first tried to put on aset that were 15mm offset andthey didn't fit. other than than i leave it to the experts. it helped that the owner of the shop has a VX.

doubleadesign
04/29/2004, 05:26 PM
They are not great pics. I really am a good photographer but I just have been lazy with some of these pics. They are "insurance guy" pics. Anyway, here's the link: http://homepage.mac.com/doubleadesign/PhotoAlbum52.html

Cyrk
04/30/2004, 06:03 AM
They Look GREAT! nice job...
-Dave

http://homepage.mac.com/doubleadesign/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-04-29%2017.25.30%20-0700/Image-8E3887D39A3C11D8.jpg

Y33TREKker
04/30/2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by t2p
Y33 - you might have liked the frame/bike one of my buds had - a limited ed Y50 (Y5O ?) ........ not the light blue carbon frame that I have seen in a few Trek brochures, but a black carbon frame with red and green (rasta type) accents ..........

Yeah, I've seen a few of those listed on eBay in the past. Definitely a unique color scheme. Mine's silver w/black rear triangle. It was actually one of my top color choices, and when it turned out to be almost showroom new, I couldn't pass it up.

Mr. I-MAN
04/30/2004, 02:03 PM
;eekg; aah Aaron what the hell did you do ! Now you are going to need a helluva alot more momentum to get up those hills in Attica.;) BTW those pics of the Black VX with the front license plate are of my VX not Gill's. Give me some credit man.

azskyrider
04/30/2004, 02:55 PM
Are the rims lugged for the VX or did you get one of those rims that have many Lug holes on them so the rim can be more generic?

I fought hard with Big-o to return my money after not being able to provide custom rims for my vette with ONLY the holes for the vette lugs.

I see a lot of custom rims on cars and either

1) the extra Lug holes show or
2) They show but they cover them up with a cap.

I am just picky but I think extra lug holes just kills it. Even if they are covered. Doesn't matter if anyone knows its the owner that counts.,

doubleadesign
05/02/2004, 07:56 PM
Mr. Iman! hey I still have the Claws for off roading. I just need to change shoes for the event. And about the pics, you might be refering to a pic Craiger34 (Darrin) named. Mine are all lazily named with numbers.

I think my rims have as many holes as lugs. The owner of the shop has a VX and loves it. he wouldn't let me ride around and embarrass him with anything less than cool. Though I think they should use some Tires Wet when you leave them. Even if they just fix a flat. I makes the biz look better. But that's just me.