PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhaust and New Shoes

DaPenetrator
04/21/2004, 07:51 AM
Hey you guys (gals) were so helpful in your responses regarding that "hitches and towing". Really appreciate all the input.

I need ideas, sugguestions, thoughts on the following items...

1. Dual Exhaust (Only seen this done on one other VX so far)
2. PowerVault, FlowMaster, Reactive, etc.
3. Best size 20" tires w/o clad trimming (tryin' to get a wider more aggressive look)

Okay guys (and gals), give me your best/worst opinions? Which muffler is better/worst and why? What's the best wheel/tire combination for 20"?

WormGod
04/21/2004, 06:09 PM
Need pics for opinions. I say, get it done and then I will put it on the chopping block. ;)

I personally am still thinking about dual exhaust. You'll get nothing out of it, but it looks pretty sweet at least.

DaPenetrator
04/22/2004, 07:24 AM
That wasn't a list of things that I've done. Just some things that I'm considering and need feedback on from owners who've already done them.

azskyrider
04/22/2004, 07:34 AM
how about something like the original vipers? Can't remember the company anymore but there was one offered for the late 80'to 90's vette.

I think some side pipes would look killer.

Cheers,

t2p
04/22/2004, 07:47 AM
life was simple back in the 60's and early 70's ...... before the intro of the cat converter ........
when many would simply weld four inch (or whatever) pipe/tubing on to 'glasspacks' - and run them out the sides in front of the rear wheels ..........

t2p
04/22/2004, 07:50 AM
Check out Bantan's pics and posts -
I believe he has 20's on his VX ............ nice wide low profile look
and the diameter is the same (or similar) to the OEM size so little (or no) trim is required and there are no speedo issues ...........

WormGod
04/22/2004, 08:02 AM
Not so sure about sidepipes with the cladding. They can get some pretty heavy heat raiding sometimes, and it might melt or warp the cladding. Burned my leg on my than one occasion on them when I had my old Vette. :(

Well DP, someone here has dual exhaust already, but I dont recall who it is. Do a search on it and some pics should pop up. Makes the VX look pretty raw.

As for the 20's, I am not a fan of anything over the 18's, but it's your VX. As long as I am not paying for your VX, it's 100% YOUR call. ;)

I have had the PV for near 2 years now. Still very happy and it gets better with age. Some say it's noisy, I say it's growling.

What kind of riding do you do? Can;t tell ya too much regarding tires without knowing your driving plan. ;) I drive street near 100% of the time, and i LOVE my Yokohama AVS shoes.

XCross69
04/22/2004, 08:28 AM
Here is a pic of the dual set up I had put on. Oval stainless steel mufflers from 3ARacing, installed on the diagonal. The pic doesn't do them justice, I get so many compliments on em:D

My Duals (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/357duals-med.jpg)

Dallas4u
04/22/2004, 08:31 AM
I know Rick (Baxman) has duals, and I believe one or two (at least) others have gone that way as well.

I have thought about side exhaust, and I have seen other vehicles do the conversion with no problems (that I know of). Heat close to the cladding could/would be a problem. I have also seen heat shields or wrapping to keep sills from burning legs, so that may be on option. I have been trying to find the right pics to Photoshop on to a VX to show side exhaust, but I never could find the right ones. STILL something I am thinking about.

DaPenetrator
04/22/2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I'm definitively not considering the side exhaust. Think it looks hot on certain vehicles (Vettes, Vipers, etc.), but not on the VX. Besides the Chrome Step Bars on the sides of Ebony, already look sweet enough for me. For the exhaust, I want to go for that str8 out the back look with oval stainless steel tips.

Xcross69, yours in the look I’m going for. From your picture it looks like you used 2 mufflers though. My reason for asking for muffler ideas is that I only want to use one muffler with dual out. I read on one of the treads that PV’s needed customizing for dual output. Don’t know if that’s a fact. I do know that FlowMaster has single or dual exhaust outputs has standard configuration.

WormGod, I’m strictly a street driver. No intentions of doing any off-roading. Unless of course, I’ve had one to many beers and can’t keep it between the white lines. ;) I’ll be keeping the original 18” wheels and putting some knobby Winter/Snow tires on them for later use. I’m trying to find out what size (245/45, 285/50, whatever) is the best fit to stay about the same diameter has the stock 18” while giving me a slightly wider more aggressive stance.

Bantan
04/22/2004, 10:09 AM
DaPenetrator,
I did not respond before because I thought you wanted "True Duals". I've got what you described in your last post PV2 with Y pipe and 2 oval shaped led lighted tips. Also a baffle to divert some of the CO2 to the passenger side tip.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/225rear_end-med.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/225olympus_download_385-med.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/225rear_view_night-med.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/225my_vx_019-med.jpg

DaPenetrator
04/22/2004, 10:18 AM
Yo Bantan, your shyt is on point man. That's exactly that type of setup that I'm looking for.

Couple of questions....

Is the PV2 a standard muffler that I can buy online or from a any PV dealer?

Was the "Y" adapter the only modification needed to the muffler?

What size tire and wheel combo are you using?

Que.

Bantan
04/22/2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by DaPenetrator
Yo Bantan, your shyt is on point man. That's exactly that type of setup that I'm looking for.

Couple of questions....

Is the PV2 a standard muffler that I can buy online or from a any PV dealer?

Was the "Y" adapter the only modification needed to the muffler?

What size tire and wheel combo are you using?

Que.

Thanks for the compliments!
Your muffler shop should know how to run the pipe behind the gas tank to the passenger side.
you can purchase the PV2 from Tone (http://www.tonemonday.com/)
wheels are 20x9 KMC Thunders and tires are 275/45/20 goodyears

DaPenetrator
04/22/2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks again Bantan. I just ordered a rack of accessories from Tone earlier today (Hitch, Light Kit, Door Popper, etc.). I even went back and looked at his site again after reading your message. I don't see any advertisement or link(s) for mufflers on his site. Let me know if I'm overlooking something or if there's another vendor somewhere.

BTW, did you have to do any cutting/trimming for the 9" wide wheels to work? Read in a few treads that 8.5" was the widest recommended. I've seen some awesome 20x10's, but definitely think that's to wide.

Que.

DaPenetrator
05/04/2004, 05:00 PM
Aight guys, got the dual exhaust put on today and boy does it sound SWEET! :p Decided to go with the FlowMaster 50 Series (524562). No rumble sitting it idle, but OH BABY! when you press the accelerator :D

Thanks to everyone here for their advice and input.

I'm definitely SMILING this evening!

morgan-tec
05/04/2004, 06:06 PM
I know im a little late on the exhaust but i can build you guys custom mufflers for pretty much any application. I can pretty much build anything you can dream up, any configuration you want, dual or single in and or out, extra internal baffels, steel or stainless, high temp powercoating, any size tubing, etc. So if you have any ?s or are intrested please let me know or check out my site for prices, and sound/video clips: www.morgan-tec.com

I kinda like the led tips, never really seen them lit up before.;Dr;

WormGod
05/04/2004, 07:28 PM
You know, if you fabbed a dual exhaust kit for the VX, I imagine you coule get some business here. I know I would be in for it. I would go get it done here but with my weekly schedule, I can never make it in to a shop, and none are open on weekends. :(

morgan-tec
05/04/2004, 07:35 PM
For now i am just building the mufflers, you would need to take it to a local exhaust shop to have it welded in and or new tail pipe(s) installed. I would love to get complete systems goin but the tubing bender is a very large investment for me right now. Maybe in the future i hope.

DaPenetrator
05/04/2004, 09:07 PM
Worm, most Meineke Discount Muffler Shops (which is were I got mine done) are open on Saturdays. I was going to get mine done a couple of Saturdays ago, but since I nor the muffler shop knew how the tow hitch might interfer, they suggested that I wait until I got that installed first (which was this past Saturday).

I went to the shop on Monday, but they didn't have the muffler (FlowMaster 524562) in stock. They got it overnight from their warehouse and so today was my fortunate day.

WormGod
05/04/2004, 10:16 PM
Meineke eh? No luck with those guys. Here, they wouldnt even put the PV on. I ended up going to a local speed shop to have it done.

I will look around. If worse comes to worse, I will go back to the speed shop. I was supposed to have my brother in law do it, but I procrastinated for so long that he ended up moving to Florida. I snooze, I lose, heh.

Morgan-Tec (Mike I believe it is), thanks for the consideration. I will keep my eyes open for your future projects. ;)

DaPenetrator
05/05/2004, 05:46 AM
LOL Worm, I had that same luck with Midas. Pulled up in front of 2 different shops in the area. Went in with pictures of a dual exhaust install that I printed from the net and showed them what I want. The counter person at both locations looked out the window and said "it can't be done on that 'car'." I showed them the pictures and say, "but it has been done and on several VX 'trucks'". (Hate when they call VX's cars). Anyone both shops said, "we can't do it because it can't legally be done." What the #(&% does "legally" mean?

shoota77
05/05/2004, 07:22 AM
I'm a little bit foggy on this...so, if I have this right, you only need one muffler, a y-pipe, and tips to have a dual exhaust (or dual look)? What exactly does the baffle do (anything besides diverting CO2)? Also, what would a reasonable cost for an installation like Bantan's or DaPenatrator be like? Thanks a lot?

-Shoota

PDOGG23
05/05/2004, 01:16 PM
I would like the same info. Bantan and DaPenetrator, how much did your setup cost you guys? I REALLY want to get this done. My current factory exhaust is rusting to hell. Did you guys get the high-temp Stainless that doesn't rust easily? I like the flowmaster idea. What do I take to Meineke with me?

t2p
05/05/2004, 02:51 PM
PDOGG:
I don't believe the Meineke, Midas, etc shops use stainless pipes .......
You may want to search for a quality 'muffler shop' - one that builds custom systems using stainless tubing .......
if you can not locate one using the phone book, internet, etc -......... vintage muscle car and/or street rod owners may be able to help you
t2p

morgan-tec
05/05/2004, 04:11 PM
IF.... you find a shop that will do stainless i can promise you you will faint at the cost of it. Most good shops use an aluminized steel tubing that is very rust resistant, almost as good as stainless an half the cost.

DaPenetrator
05/05/2004, 06:53 PM
I purchased my setup at 3 different shops. The FlowMaster came from Speed Unlimited ($114.00). The muffler, FlowMaster 50 Series (524562, it's on their website) has one inlet and two outlets. The inlet on the 524562 is offset to keep the installation of the muffler in the stock position. I didn't have to use a "Y" connector or baffler. Because the exhaust is separted inside the muffler chambers, you get the same amount of exhaust out of each outlet and therefore each pipe. The tips (which are Stainless 304 Steel) came from Trick Trucks ($65 ea) and Meineke did the pipes and installation ($80 parts and $175 labor). The pipe from one outlet is straight out the rear of the driver's side and the pipe from the second outlet is routed up and over the rear axle, over and behind the gas tank, between the gas tank and rear wheel, and out the back on the passenger's side. Both pipes fall about 2-3" below the bumper and almost directly under the rear reflectors. I also didn't have to lose my rear tie downs. The noise from the 50 series FlowMaster inside the truck is barely above that of stock at idle or while cruising at highway speed. Only time there's obvious noise is during acceleration. But the sound is so sweet!

$115.00 Muffler
$130.00 Tips
$255.00 Parts & Labor
----------------------------
$500.00 Total

shoota77
05/05/2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, DP!! You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? Thanks again!

DaPenetrator
05/06/2004, 03:28 AM
I'll try to get some picture at our DC/MD/VA Meet this weekend. Althought I'm not sure if I'll be able to post them. It says in the Rule Box at the bottom of my screen that I "may not add attachments". I've wondered if something was wrong or I just hadn't earned that priviledge yet.

PDOGG23
05/06/2004, 12:59 PM
WoW. $500 total huh? I guess that isn't too bad. I have a friend that works at Midas, he may do it a tad cheaper for me. There is so much I want to do to my VX, but so little money to do it! Lol. :D

t2p: Ya, The Stainless WOULD be expensive wouldn't it? It's a shame though when you have a nice vehicle, and put all the money into it, only to find it rusted to :evil: Ya know? I have a really nice flowmaster system on my 69' camaro, and they haven't rusted, but it NEVER sees rain! lol.

Thanks for the info DaP.

WormGod
05/06/2004, 01:23 PM
Ya, that is pretty damned pricey. I don;t plan on going with a new muffler with dual output since I want to keep the PV, so I am gonna have to Y junction the pipes. Damn shame I don't still have access to the shop I used to work at or I would do it myself.

I still plan on doing it though, so I guess I should just stop procrastinating and buy the damned tips so I can get the ball rolling. *sigh*

Can't wait to see your setup DP. Sounds like you put a lot of work into your VX. :) I think our meet Saturday will be a visual treat for all since we all seem to have modified VXes in this area.

DaPenetrator
05/06/2004, 04:11 PM
Worm, I'll definitely be there. Looks like the rain is gonna hold off too. That'll be great.

U guys will problaby see my dual exhaust without the tips. After I purchased to ones that I have I saw some that I like better, but they had to be ordered. If they come in tomorrow, I'll have the shop weld them on before the meet. If not, I'll just show up with bare pipes sticking out the rear.

shoota77
05/09/2004, 07:53 PM
you get a chance to get some pics? i'd love to see how it turned out!!! Thanks!