PDA

View Full Version : Rust Solutions???

xdfarrx
04/21/2004, 12:55 AM
I am seeing quite a bit of rust, being the front of my a arms and linkages... I am looking into options but does any one have suggestions??
thanks in advance

Joe_Black
04/21/2004, 05:40 AM
Rust on many of your underbody components is normal, but if you want to try and maintain a "supersan" look then there are several products available. I've used the OxiSolv line of corrosion converters in restoration work, but you still need to finish the components to fully protect. Eastwoods has a good selection of items, here's a link to their rust protection products: Rust Prevention (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=372&iMainCat=372&iSubCat=372)

There's my $.02!;Do;

t2p
04/21/2004, 06:32 AM
Rust ? You think you have rust ? You live in SoCal - you don't know rust.
Come to Western PA and you will see RUST. In this area, people get rid of rust by flying to SoCal, or Nevada, etc and then drive the rust free car (or items) across the country back to Western PA.
Just a bit of humor - I know areas near the ocean can have issues with rust .......Seriously ....
There are products that neutralize rust (Naval Jelly), neutralize and convert rust (and form a coating) (POR 15 or whatever number, Permatex, Rust Oleum). and primers for rust coated surfaces (zinc rich primer and Rust Oleum has a primer (Rusty Metal Primer) that (supposedly) uses 'fish oil' or something similar (first the 'snake oil' salesmen - now 'fish oil' stories) ........
There may even be a lubricant with 'staying power' - a motorcycle chain lube for example - that you could spray on the areas for minor protection. ???
and there is my .02 cents ............
t2p

Bantan
04/21/2004, 07:12 AM
t2p, I tried responding to your PM on various occasions but your inbox is full also your e-mail address does not appear in your Profile.

xdfarrx
04/21/2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks- Funny I have looked at the Eastwood product already but they have no vendors west of the mid west. When I was living in Tahoe never had a spot of rust. I'm living a few blocks in from the beach and it is starting to show.

t2p
04/21/2004, 10:29 AM
Bantan:
Sorry .... ??? I only had a few PM's ... I did delete a few.
My email address should be on my profile ..... t2p@peoplepc.com .....
I get on my home pc once per week or so ....
t2p

Dallas4u
04/21/2004, 10:43 AM
t2p... when in your PM box, you may want to check your reply and saved PMs as well. Those will build up, too, and will hog your PM limit.

Joe_Black
04/21/2004, 11:31 AM
I have looked at the Eastwood product already but they have no vendors west of the mid west.
Wow, I didn't know they even had vendors! I've always ordered through the catalog or online (no tax). Most of the stuff there can be found elsewhere though, like the OxiSolv. For frame and suspension components you can't beat the OxiSolv gel. Very important you follow the directions with that stuff, otherwise it wont work.;Do;

xdfarrx
04/21/2004, 07:22 PM
Yep, I emailed them and that is what they told me