PDA

View Full Version : Tow Hitch - Need Help ASAP!

DaPenetrator
04/19/2004, 06:19 AM
Sup VXers?

I need to know where I can puchase a Class III tow hitch. Orginally a local mod shop (Trick Trucks) told me that they could get and install one. I made an apt and went to have it installed and was told that none of their manufacturer made a hitch for the VX anymore. But they told me that if I could find one, they could install it. I know I've seen them on a few VX's in the area and online.

I need this accessory purchased and installed before Memorial Day weekend.

PLEASE HELP!

t2p
04/19/2004, 06:37 AM
Easy. Tone Monday.
A hitch and the wiring kit are both available on his site. Directions with pictures also.
The installed hitch looks great - does not hang down underneatch the VX.
I believe installation of this hitch requires the the rear bumper cover to be removed, but it does not appear to be difficult and the installed hitch looks like a factory installed hitch (or better).

Tiger66
04/19/2004, 06:37 AM
I don't know if anyone ever made a Class III. I have a Dalan Class II that I believe is rated at 3500 #. I've pulled my car tailer and Vette (5000+ #) and it works but the short wheelbase VX and the long trailer didn't feel real comfortable. I don't think I would recommend it. Be real carefull! I have a small utility trailer, just used it yesterday, maybe 750+/- # and that tows just beautiful.

DaPenetrator
04/19/2004, 07:10 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. Although I’m not crazy about installing a hitch that would require the cladding to be cut or modded, I may end up going with Tone's kit after all.

I'm not really concerned with the towing capacity. I'm only towing a 384 lb Sports bike. But the rack that I have for the bike is a Class III and is only 74 lbs. Total towing capacity will be less than 500.

psychos2
04/19/2004, 10:01 AM
here is a previous post on hitches. as i stated in the other post if you do get the dalan hitch have it painted or sprayed with bed liner ,or undercoating to prevent rust. shawn http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1541&highlight=trailer+hitch

DaPenetrator
04/19/2004, 10:42 AM
Psychos2, thanks for the link. It provided some good info. But also raised another very important question...

Anyone know the tongue weight capacity of Tone's hitch kit? Since my motorcycle carrier is a rack and not a trailer, all of the weight (bike & rack) is right at the tongue.

coachreed
04/19/2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by DaPenetrator
Psychos2, thanks for the link. It provided some good info. But also raised another very important question...

Anyone know the tongue weight capacity of Tone's hitch kit? Since my motorcycle carrier is a rack and not a trailer, all of the weight (bike & rack) is right at the tongue.

I have Tone's hitch and can say it is both nice looking and relatively easy to install. I however don't know about putting a rack and sport bike on it like that. I'm not sure of the actual rated tongue capacity of it, but think about the amount of corce thta would be put on it while driving down the road... you might be at 500 lbs static weight, but thing aobut the weight of it when you hit a bump... not to mention that the actual load would be out quite a ways... I can't imagine ANY hitch taking that. Of course, I am NOT an engineer and could be wrong about the whole thing. Good luck. If you do it, let us know how it works out.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

VCAMILO
04/19/2004, 04:18 PM
I have lifted the entire rear end of the VX including the wheels from the hitch. The hitch only moved about 1/32 of an inch. So I would 110% put a rack on it with 4 HEAVY HUFFY's in it. ;Db;

I also have a trailer that I can town 2 spotbikes with no problems. I have traveled atleast 4k miles with the TL1000R and the R1 strapped to the back. TONEs hitch still good! ;Db; ;Dr;

psychos2
04/19/2004, 04:24 PM
i don't know if i would . the hitch and the rack end up being a huge lever pulling on the frame. towing a heavy trailer is different from using a rack. what do you think tone? shawn

Tone
04/19/2004, 06:43 PM
Trailer is more of a lever than a rack depending on the load but a rack is closer to the truck so less leverage.

coachreed
04/19/2004, 07:52 PM
We are talking about a 384 pound sport bike NOT four heavy huffy bicycles! Keep in mind that a rack that will hold a sport bike is going to have the big part of the weight pushed outa decent amount so that the fairing and clips will clear the back door... if you ask me, thats gonna be a decent distance... I have jacked my VX by the hitch too... works fine for short time with a fairly static load... but if you put the dynamic load of a 384 pound bike, probably centered at least 12-15" from the mounting surface of the frame, you have a HUGE force... are there any engineers here? I'm sure there are plenty of formulas to calculate this... and again... there is a HUGE difference between some bicycles and a dang sport bike... aka MOTORCYCLE... just my 2 cents.

TTYL!

coachreed
04/19/2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Trailer is more of a lever than a rack depending on the load but a rack is closer to the truck so less leverage.

Another point... I don't agree with that statement... I don't know the last time I put a trailer on that I COULDN'T lift by hand... MAYBE 200 lbs heaviest... but I doubt it... heck, our ski boat had a tongue weight low enough that I could lift it (only an inch or two) when I was 10 years old... tell me that the rack with a sport bike on it is gonna be less than that... I don't think so.

Later!

Coach

coachreed
04/19/2004, 07:58 PM
Or maybe I'm missing something... do they make racks like what I am thinking?! lol After re-reading it a few times... I am starting to wonder if I'm the one missing the point. What is this rack like? Your talking about hauling a 384 pound sport bike on a rack that has NO wheels? Or are you talking about a trailer or what? I assume a rack with no wheels since you said it only weighs 74 pounds... do you have a picture of the "rack" in question? Sorry if I'm smoking crack...

TTYL!

Randy

psychos2
04/19/2004, 08:15 PM
tone, a trailer is different the way it supports the load. yes you are putting the weight on the hitch ,but you are not hanging it 2 feet out from the frame and twisting it . a trailer pivots and does not twist the hitch. shawn

DaPenetrator
04/20/2004, 04:29 AM
Hey guys, thanks again for all the replies and input. Let me give you some more info to help clarify some things....

I previously had a Lincoln Navigator (b4 the VX) with a towing capacity of 6,500 lbs and a maxium tongue load of 500 lbs. I was able to carry my bike on that hitch with no problems. In fact, we made several trips to NC, NJ, NY, and FL. Never had any unfortunate accidents. But then I don't know how that hitch was attached to the vehicle since it was factory installed.

I do know for a fact that tongue capacity is always extremely less than tow capacity. Because all of the weight of the item in tow is placed on the tongue itself rather than on the wheels of a trailer. Hince the 6,500 lbs the Navi was able to pull with a trailer verses the 500 lbs that it was able to carry with a rack.

The rack in question is the MotoTote Sportsbike Carrier...

http://www.mototote.com
http://www.mototote.com

And you guys were correct in the fact that the rack extends about 3 feet from the back of the truck to allow for mounting and the bike fairings. So there's an extreme amount of leverage and twisting on the hitch.

Anymore sugguestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tone
04/20/2004, 04:58 AM
As I said, depends on the load. My hitch was designed to handle more overall weight and more tongue weight than the Dalan but I wouldn’t hang a 300+LB motorcycle from it as that is too much for the vehicle’s (Trooper) rating.

coachreed
04/20/2004, 05:34 AM
OK... the pictures helps a lot...

http://www.mototote.com/(t5gk00554a13do55o1pmxf55)/images/menu1.gif

Tone's hitch is the best option for hitch in the VX in my opinion but I don't think that putting that kind of load on it is a good idea. I'm not sure what hadness rating the bolts are that hold the hitch onto the VX but there are only four bolts and don't think I'd put that load on them. The other hitch options for the VX hang down quite a ways and I'm not sure what they are rated for. Without some kind of additional engineering I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

t2p
04/20/2004, 06:44 AM
Four Huffy bicycles probably weigh as much as the VX ........

Seriously, the Mototote carrier looks neat - but I don't think I would use one - not on a VX or any other vehicle. The carrier does have it's merits - and eliminates a few of the hassles that are associated with a trailer, but ......

I'm also surprised the Navigator had a 500 lb tongue weight (max). Whoa ! The hitch must attach to the frame in about twelve locations !
I would purchase a trailer - or have one made.

I have an aluminum (custom built) bike trailer that I use to haul motorcyles and (occasionally) bicycles. I also have a snowmobile trailer. I plan to pull both with the VX.

Tone
04/20/2004, 11:00 AM
Four 1/2" Grade 8 bolts with 1/4" steel backing plates and prevailing torque locking Grade 8 nuts. Most of the force is down which is also offset by the bottom edge of hitch wrapping underneath the frame rail

Teckhardt
04/20/2004, 02:31 PM
If someone really wants a Dalan/Uhaul hitch I could probably be persuaded into unbolting mine and selling it - just email me.

I want to get Tone's for the additional ground clearance. Cutting the cladding is not an issue for me.

Maverick
04/20/2004, 08:26 PM
ive got tones hitch as well.. though i havent towed with it yet, so far im very happy with it, the higher mount and tight in fitting keep the vx looking factory with it. the wiring kit is nicely done as well.. BTW- I picked up a 2" drop hitch bar today at wallymart that came with a 2" ball, and hitch pin (500/6000 cap) for $19.99 ..a deal and a half...

DaPenetrator
04/20/2004, 11:13 PM
The MotoTote works extremely well with a vehicle that will support it's weight and the weight of the bike. As I stated before, I used it on a 2000 Navi for 2 years and made several local and out of states trips. I'm currently using it on a 1998 F-150 with no problems. The rack is the perfect option for me b/c I like the fact that it moves with the truck. Never have worry about counter steering when backing as with a trailer or getting a trailer registered and licensed. Not to mention somewhere to store one. The MotoTote leans nicely against the wall in my garage and only takes up a 3 foot corner ;o)

What I'm actually considering doing is attaching Tone's hitch (with the 4 bolts) and then having it spot welded for reinforcement. That's actually the way that the factory hitch is attached to the F-150 (and I assume it was that way on the Navi as well).

Tone, I'll probably be contacting you the first of next week to get the hitch and light kits ordered. Once I get it installed, I'll make an appointment with a machine shop to have it spot welded. Once it's on there, I never intent removing it.

Tiger66
04/21/2004, 07:05 AM
There is not much difference on dead weight put on the hitch or trailer tongue weight. The hitch feels it the same. 500# three feet out will be 1500# hanging off the back end. Not so much worry breaking the hitch mounting but it will unload the front wheels and could make driving dynamics poor. Even dangerous at high speeds. A big Nav with a long wheelbase and a lot of weight up front is very different than a VX.

I don't know if I would agree that the tone hitch is a better choice than the dalan. One bolts vertical the other horizontal. I would worry more about shearing the bolts more than pulling them apart. Putting a downward force on horizontal bolts is more prone to failure. You would have to look at what's beyond the tone hitch too, as I understand it is bolted to a crossmember. How that is attached, its properties and abilities to withshand the torsion. Additionally, the dalan bolts under the frame with arms that extend forward. That will distribute the load out. And that frame ain't going anywahere.

I am a mechanical engineer. Please note, this is just my opinion and not professional advise.

For a motorcycle I would suggest a trailer. It will be easier and I think you will not only be safer but happier.

LOL

DaPenetrator
04/27/2004, 05:42 AM
Tone got my tow hitch and door popper kit on it's way to me yesterday. Should receive it on Friday. Plan to install it this weekend and have the body shop weld it to frame on Saturday.

Welding will only take place if we deteremine that it won't interfere with removing or replacing the gas tank if that needs to be done for the job or in the future. If welding doesn't prove to be practical, then I'll be off to the Hitchman to buy a new trailer.

I remember what you guys said about disconnecting the computer before welding on the frame. I'll make sure that happens. Definitively don't want any electricial problems or fried system components.

I'll take some pictures before and after the hitch installation and with the MotoTote and bike attached.

t2p
04/27/2004, 06:16 AM
sounds good ....

I believe you will also need to disconnect the battery also - but you probably already know that .......
plus, I believe the vehicle needs to be 'grounded' .......... the welder should know this ......

DaPenetrator
04/27/2004, 08:01 AM
Yo T2P, thanks for the additional tips. I'll make sure those steps are covered has well.

xdfarrx
04/27/2004, 10:52 AM
I haven't read through all the threads, so if I am off the mark my bad.... I have had a moto tote for three years. I bought a hitch from Uhaul. Had it double powder coated wrinkle black. I use it to transport my 400lb streatbike with no worries. Tone's hitch is much more subtle and truthfully I like its look nicer but I don't feel it is appropriate for the weight of carrying bike...My moto tote rules. I love it.....P.s. get the through bar spot welded and the integrity gets better. Les twisting. Don't forget that the rack and hitch are prone to loading when at speed. The hitch I have is class 4. Most hitchs are designed for pulling loads not hanging loads.

DaPenetrator
04/27/2004, 12:02 PM
xdfarrx, what is it about the u-haul hitch that you feel is more suitable for the MotoTote use than Tone's hitch?

Also, have you had any problems with the weight unloading the front wheels on take-offs or acceleration?

Tone
04/27/2004, 12:02 PM
Show us some pics of your class 4 hitch for a VX - Dalan sold through UHaul is an under performing class 3 rated @ only 3500 lbs.

crager34
04/27/2004, 01:26 PM
Isuzu says that it is not recommended that the VX be used for towing anything. Surely the say that to avoid liability.

DaPenetrator
05/01/2004, 08:24 PM
Well Guys/Gals, I received my Tow Hitch and Door Popper in the mail yesterday from Tone. I went to NC today to got the hitch installed. BIGGEST PAIN IN THE AZZ YOU COULD IMAGINE! Yet worth every minute. Fits and looks just like factory. Gonna slide the MotoTote in it tomorrow, load the bike on and drive around town for a bit to see how the VX responds to the extra 500 lbs on the back. Will let you know.

Biggest problems encountered during installation...

1. Didn't wanna remove the gas tank shield (which is bolted to the cross member), so we had to cut out a section with a blow torch for the hitch to fix directly to the cross member, but not over the tank shield. That was risky business, welding that close to the tank, but was the only way to avoid having to remove the hitch if for any reason the tank ever needed to be removed or replaced. And since I was planning on welding the hitch to the frame in addition to the bolts, this was the only way.

2. None of the 4 hole in the hitch lined up with the holes already in the cross member, so all 4 new holes had to be drilled.

3. Removing the rear side quarters was a pain also. They don't snap off so easily with a quick pull as suggested. Broke 2 of the 4 tryin' to do this.

4. Started out with the 2.5x4" cut in the bottom of the rear bumper after everything was installed and being reassembled. Bottom screw holds didn't line up! Removed bumper and made 4" cut 4.5". Reassembled and no go. Removed and made 4.5" cut 5". Reassembled and no go. Removed again and made it 5.5". Snug fit, but cause a little buckle in the bottom of the bumper just above the hitch. Remove one last time and made the cut 6"... Perfect Fix! but a far cry from the 4" orginal estimated. But like Tone's directions suggest... Better to cut 3 or 4 times and have it perfect, than the cut to much the first time and be pissed off ;)

All and all the entire job took about 3.5-4 hrs, but guess what?

I'm the happiest hitch on a VX having person in the world right now. THANKS TONE!