PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket shiftknobs

hchen
01/06/2003, 06:29 PM
i bought an carbon fiber shiftknob but the problem is it doesnt go on. i was wondering if anyone knows how to replace the knob. do i have to cut the plastic piece taht is attached to the spring? or is there another way. thanks alot

WormGod
01/07/2003, 09:50 AM
First off, is it a "universal" knob or is it made specifically for a vehicle type?

If you have a link to the knob type (with pic), I might be able to help a little more. A little tough not knowing what you have.

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Ebony/vx_boots.jpg

It can be done though. ;)

(updated pic with aftermarket Momo boots too. kinda dark, but gets the idea out)

VehiX
01/08/2003, 04:49 PM
From a previous post on VMAG:

The replacement of the transmission shifter is actually quite easy.

The transmission shifter, as you can see, has a square shaft which is actually a square metallic sleeve that covers the round shaft in which you attach the RAZO shifter onto. The trick is to remove the square shaft so that you can actually attach the RAZO shifter knob. To do this, you have to do the following:

Modifying to change the shifters is PERMANENT and you can NOT go back to original stock.

You'll need the following tools: a long skinny flathead screwdriver, a regular flathead and phillips screwdriver, a small fine file, a hammer, and black electrical tape or black paint (for cosmetic use only).

If you have decided to do the mod, the first thing you should do before doing anything to the VX is to purchase the appropriate shifters knobs.

Once that's done, all you need to do is to remove the center console, the shifter handle itself, the shifter console cover, and the shifter display (small clear window).

You should be able to trace how far the square metallic sleeve extends far down into the console. The square sleeve is actually spot-welded at two points on the round shaft.

Take a small flat-head screwdriver and insert between the square sleeve and the round shaft where the first spot-weld is located. Tap the screwdriver with a hammer and the spot weld should break loose. Repeat for the lower spotweld and the square sleeve should come off. You may want to file the spot weld breaks on the round shaft to make it smooth.

Assemble the console back together and attach the shifter knobs according to the directions from the shifters. The round shaft is bronze or copper color. To blend in with the shifters I applied black electrical tape aroud the round shaft. You can also try painting the shaft black.

:)

Raque Thomas
08/07/2003, 05:05 PM
Has anyone tried the shifter from the Axiom? It's pretty cool, but I don't know how much it costs. I share a lot of people's angst with the "dated" dash of the Vehicross - I wonder if the dash from the Axiom would fit????

johnnyapollo
08/07/2003, 09:09 PM
There was a thread about the Axiom dash over in the vMag forum. Concensus was that it would fit, but would take more modifications that it was worth to do the mod. I imagine that if you could find one in a junk yard it might be doable, but time consuming.

-- John

VXMAN
08/08/2003, 05:43 AM
I have the Razo push down shifter. Easy mod. You do have to cut some of the white plastic piece a little. As for the square sleeve on the stock shifter, just take a pair of pliers and twist it. It snaps the 2 spot welds right off, very easy. Then, remove this square sleeve and install the new shifter.

:-D
Dave...

Jonnie
08/10/2003, 10:45 AM
I found a guy with a wrecked Axiom, he said I can have the shifter cheap, and anything else I want. The only issue is $ and it's a tan interior.

Will get with him Monday.

Jonathan

Raque Thomas
08/10/2003, 03:26 PM
The color shouldn't be a problem - any body shop can shoot it with elasticized paint that will stay on. Let me know if you decide not to buy the dash or shift knob - I'm interested if you aren't. Good Luck!