PDA

View Full Version : Paint- clear coat or not??

xdfarrx
04/18/2004, 10:30 PM
Hello-
I was under the impression that all cars have a clear coat.... especially metallic painted cars. Our VX's have clear coats correct??? Thanks

Tiger66
04/19/2004, 06:42 AM
I don't know about the other colors but you obviously have an Ironman, the white is straight paint - no clear coat.

WormGod
04/19/2004, 07:54 AM
No, not all cars have a clearcoat. Clearcoated paint (2 stage) is more expensive, more time, but far more worth it for the added protection. Non clearcoated paints (1 stage) TEND to be laquers. MOSTLY used on showcars due to it's extremely shiney appearance. However, there is little to no protection in a laquer. Laquer can have a fantasitic finish and is fast and easy to work with, but not worth it unless you plan on ALWAYS keeping it out of the sun and the elements.

There are other polycarb single stage paints with better protection, used on production cars, but they are still at danger of elements and can fade much faster.

t2p
04/19/2004, 09:54 AM
I'm almost certain the majority of new cars sold during the past few years have the two stage (base coat - clear coat) paint system. In the mid to late nineties, most manufacturers went to the two stage system.
I also believe the VX (including the Ironman) fits into that category.
Most quality body shops today will use a polyurethane two stage system - using (for example) PPG Deltron (or Dupont chroma something or another).
Laquer paint is almost never used today - except for repairs to an existing laquer job.