PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu is closing the doors....

azskyrider
04/18/2004, 10:11 PM
"Continually plagued by reports that the company is not long for this world, Isuzu further aggravated such rumors by stating it would not expand its product lineup — no pickups, sport wagons or additional SUVs — until 2007. With production of the Axiom and the Rodeo scheduled to stop in July of this year, dealers will be left to peddle just the Ascender for the next three years......."

You can read the rest at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/isuzu/ascender/100344099/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=101556&tid=edmunds.e.landing.featurereviews..2.*)

MrCrowley
04/19/2004, 04:14 AM
The reason for all of this- Isuzu has announced they are cutting all ties with GM and will be completely severed by 2007. I think they are tired of being a red headed stepchild to GM, and the take take take (Duramax, Canyon, etc, etc) and getting nothing but limited release from them. The all new Trooper will be out then, since the A$$ender bellyflopped. They finally learned their lesson. I think this is the first good news from Isuzu since the VX!!!

Joe_Black
04/19/2004, 05:25 AM
MrCrowley, if what you say is true, and man I hope it is, that is just the most absolutely wonderful thing! Now I'm gonna be all giddy today thinking about how GM is going to deal with losing the only quality thing they had. Woohoo!

GMAC = Grossly Mis-engineered American Cars

MrCrowley
04/19/2004, 09:35 AM
I was just as excited as you when I read the article. I cant remember where- it was a news topic thingy on some Isuzu related Automotive webiste. Ill try to find it again. 4 Isuzus and I thought I was done. Maybe Ill look into a 2007 Trooper to replace my '98 Trooper. We all know nothing will replace the 99 VX. .

Daver
04/19/2004, 12:30 PM
Yeah, wonderful. Too bad there won't be any Isuzu dealers left to help out existing owners by 2007.

-Daver

t2p
04/19/2004, 01:14 PM
....... the Ascender ....... savior ??? (Edmunds article)
The TrailBlazer ........ er, um Ascender ....... ???
I think my family had a 72 Firebird that had more ground clearance and off-road capability .........

Ron Pfeiffer
04/19/2004, 03:07 PM
I got curious and did some searching - found some very interesting info on this page, apparently dedicated to Isuzu cars:

http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/

Scroll down and check out the timeline - some developments at the end (last is Feb of this year) that do point to hopeful signs for Isuzu. Also hopeful stuff about Isuzu in America specifically; seems as though their relationship with GM has hamstrung them over here.

A lot can happen between now and then, but it looks like they have a plan . . .

Ron

MZ-N10
04/19/2004, 05:49 PM
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/

;eeky; ;eeky; ;eeky; isuzu is making a sports car now???
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Joe_Black
04/19/2004, 08:56 PM
seems as though their relationship with GM has hamstrung them over here.
That's an understatement! LOL!

isuzu is making a sports car now???
More like "again". My '84 Impulse is what got me hooked on Isuzu to begin with, and it was an incredible handling coupe with a style that set the bar in design for virtually everything the competition could produce afterward. Example of 1st Gen Impulse:
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/gifs/carpix/vdum3.jpg
When the news of the 4200R came out in the late eighties as a potential replacement for the Impulse I started saving money for a deposit right then and there. If they had produced that car I'd probably still be driving it!;Do; The 4200R:
http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/mystormart/4200rlarge.jpg

xdfarrx
04/20/2004, 12:38 AM
great news- I was under the impression that Isuzu was done. I've had two and my vx is like probably to many of you important. I told a friend that (I thought) Isuzu was done and he told me to get rid of my vx.... that noise you heard was me making a sigh of relief-

BaM*BaM
04/21/2004, 08:43 AM
Today, in USA Today

As a result of such skepticism, Isuzu expects to lose a significant minority of its 415 dealers, winding up with perhaps no more than 250 to sell the '07 model.

Isuzu insists it is not leaving the U.S. market.

"On the face, with the reduced sales, the picture looks bleak," acknowledges Chip Letzgus, a spokesman for Isuzu. "But honestly, it doesn't look bleak to us when we are poised to make money. The company has no intention of leaving the market."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-04-20-isuzu_x.htm

t2p
04/21/2004, 10:58 AM
.... and the 'door' may be closed for good - except for the commerical vehicles ...........
2007 ? - for the next new model - with only one re-badged GM vehicle to sell for the next few years .......
???
I will be surprised if there are 50 dealers around by that time .......
I'm not a GM fan - early-to-late-60's GM muscle cars the exception - but I find it difficult to lay the majority of the blame on GM.

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/21/2004, 02:24 PM
I sent the following letter to the editor of USA Today as an editorial:

"In regards to the story in USA TODAY on ISUZU's apparent stifling in the US market; it should be pointed out that ISUZU has had major contributions and success pertaining to the automotive world only to have GM steal the thunder due to its part-ownership of ISUZU. For example, ISUZU has developed the successful GM Duramax Diesel; yet gets no recognition. ISUZU developed the chassis for the new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, which is a knockoff of the ISUZU pickup sold overseas in Thailand. ISUZU is responsible for bringing Direct Injection to the marketplace in the form of its 2004 AXIOM SUV, which is a technology found only in two gasoline automobiles sold in the US — the BMW 760Li and the Rolls Royce Phantom.
I for one am a proud owner of a 2000 ISUZU VehiCROSS SUV which to this day cannot be matched in the automotive world for its unique crossover tendencies between off-road capability and sports car like on-road capabilities. The only SUV today that comes close is the Infinity FX 35/45, which has excellent on-road manners but no real off-road abilities."

I doubt any of this will actually make the paper....but I felt compelled!

xdfarrx
04/21/2004, 02:40 PM
Nice one Jolly. Solid lyrics. I already sent an email to corporate to throw in my 2 cents.

Dallas4u
04/21/2004, 02:43 PM
Please keep us updated as to any future response!

xdfarrx
04/21/2004, 02:58 PM
A friend of mine who works at Apple now said the best company he ever worked for was Isuzu. He said that they provided their sales guys with Mastercards and evertime they sold a car, outside of their commish, they were hit with 150$ on the card automatically wired onto his card. Tax free. He left the sales deal to go to CarsDirect.com but with near 10 grand on his card.
I wish my employers would do this

yal^
04/21/2004, 05:15 PM
Here is some reading (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=465345&Forum=,f68,&Words=double%20spie&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=465345&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post465345) in this matter from 4x4wire.com that might be interestig to some of you

visconte
04/21/2004, 09:50 PM
It is funny how we develop attachments to our cars. Personally my first admiration for Isuzu came from a friend who had an Isuzu van on lease in England, and he put over 150K miles on it in there [not an easy feat in the UK] and then he bought the truck when it came off lease. Later on I had a '90 trooper here in the US with many many miles and many many happy memories and that truck too was so strong and reliable nothing could kill it and was still running great when I went for the VX.

Anyway William Crapo Durant [GM founder] certainly deserved his middle name which neatly sums up my personal opinion of GM after owning many of their products, details of which will go unmentioned. GM simply wants Isuzu like Chrysler wants Mitsubishi - by purchasing and castrating their real competition the big automakers destroy the competition, this is a common theme in the anals of corporate history. [Pun intended]

So the fact that Isuzu is pulling away from their 'evil master' can only be a good thing, although it will take time for Isuzu to re-invent themselves and once again ascend. [No pun intended]
Vis
PS you can't sue me I am broke