PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle leak

driver3
04/18/2004, 02:02 PM
I remebered this from the old site

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002412.html

I put on new brakes this weekend, among other things, and when I took off the right rear disc, there was grease everywhere. My question is, because the rear axles aren't servicable (that I know of) how can I take care of this problem? Is this considered part of the powertrain? Can I get it done under warranty? Last, if anyone has had shop fix this, how much was it?

t2p
04/20/2004, 10:24 AM
If the leak appears to be significant, I would not drive from FL to OH with it until it was fixed.
If they already have not been ruined, the leak could ruin the brake pads - and the parking brake shoes (or whatever) could be ruined. Not sure if the VX uses the small shoe/drum setup for the parking brake - if so, these setups are (typically) a pain to work on and the parts are relatively expensive.
It has been years since I replaced a rear axle seal - on some cars, you can merely unbolt the rear axle and slide the axle out so the seal can be replaced. On some other cars, the rear 'pumpkin' cover must be removed and a clip/retainer is then removed to facilitate the removal of the rear axle.
Will - should - it be covered under warranty ? Good question.
It may be. But I would not be surprised if it was not covered.

VXtreme
04/20/2004, 01:31 PM
Yes, repairing a rear axle leak is covered under your warranty. I just had the right rear axle seal replaced on my '99 VX at the dealer. I had 48,500 on my VX at the time. In addition, they replaced the rear disc pads and the parking brake shoes. Check with your dealer, it should be covered al long as your VX is still within the warranty window.

Heraclid
04/20/2004, 03:19 PM
I don't miss the days we drove from Jacksonville, FL to Canton, OH on a weekend about every other month. Leaving Friday after work, driving 14-15 hrs non-stop, get there in the early morning, spend Saturday there, and then it's time to turn right back around and spend all Sunday going back. People used to think we were crazy. :-)

driver3
04/21/2004, 05:31 AM
Mine is an '01, so I have the 120k powertrain, but is the rear axle powertrain? The other thing is there are no isuzu dealers in cleveland anymore, so I'd have to get some other shop to do it and bill isuzu? I don't have the time before the trip so it looks like I'm going to go for the drive... it didn't leak that much grease, there was none on the tire or dust guard or anything, just all over inside the rotor. We'll see, I'll have to call a dealer and clarify the warranty. I'm at 66k, so the all inclusive warranty is over.

CSTYLES
04/28/2005, 11:51 AM
I just got my rear brakes done and they warned me that the axle seal was leaking.
The mechanic said that this is not an urgent safety concern but that I shouldn't let it go for too long or it would ruin the new pads and the hand brake.

Anyone else get the rear axle leak repaired under warranty?

If not how much would something like this cost?
I just got hit with the 45K service, brakes, worn belt, and this... what next?

VX crazy
04/28/2005, 12:12 PM
Wow, you needed brakes already? And rear ones at that? Did you notice a difference after they replaced them? I am a hard braker and at 60k still have tons of brake left....I did not know brakes were covered under warranty???

CSTYLES
04/28/2005, 12:18 PM
No, the brakes aren't covered under warranty. The dealer wanted $600 for rear brakes ($350 for parts, rear rotors and pads). The rear rotors were rusted out and crumbling to pieces.

I didn't notice any difference in braking. I did have to have them adjusted because for the first week there was drag. Don't know if I'm a "hard braker" but the inside pads on the driver side were worn down to the metal.

SGT.BATGUANO
04/29/2005, 10:38 PM
Centrifugal or centripetal force will spread the gear oil down one face of the rotor eventually and could cause the vx to pull during braking

CSTYLES
04/29/2005, 11:23 PM
Ok, so this is something I want to have done.
How soon? I was told that it wasn't an urgent safety concern, to check on it within the next 3 months (but that was prefaced with "it's not like I could get the parts today anyway).

If I can this done under warranty, I'll pressure the dealer. If not, how much does this cost? (so I can set money aside for it)
Thanks to all for any advice.

driver3
04/30/2005, 07:03 AM
The powertrain warranty includes all the seals and bearings.. I did the brakes myself, noticing there was wear on the bearing and the rear axle seal on the passenger side was bad. So I put the bad bearings back in with the new rotors and took it in and the gave me a hard time with the warranty. I got out the book, pointed out that all that stuff was under warranty and then they fixed everything for free.... I was at ~75k miles...