PDA

View Full Version : Running Lean. Need Advice.

Cline
04/18/2004, 01:32 PM
Hey guys I could use some tuning advice from all the long-term VX'ers. I have an 01 with close to 40k on it, I was changing the plugs (had the stock champions in) looking over the old plugs they look rather white like there running real hot. I know this is generally a sign of running lean and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I could do to correct this.
On a side note last time I had it in for maintenance at the local Ripoff HQ'rs (otherwise known as Isuzu service dept) they told me that the EGR sensor had a lot of carbon buildup and wanted to charge me $150 to run some cleaner through the system. From reading on the forums I know that carbon buildup is a common issue, I ran some cleaner through the system and was hoping it would be enough to do the trick.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Hotsauce
04/18/2004, 04:17 PM
What are you calling lean looking? clean white ceramis is not abnormal on OBD2 cars. To me lean is little silver spots on the ceramic.

Long before the engine runs that lean you will throw a check engine light for low O2 reading, I've gotten that from several malfunctions, loose egr nut, blown egr gasket, and from bad intake manifold gasket. All of these allow unmetered air to enter the engine, and can result in lean condition.

John C

Cline
04/21/2004, 07:44 AM
No I didn't see any silver on the ceramic, just the tips were very white. The ceramics had a rather scorched look which to me seemed like they may have been a little hotter then normal. Thanks for the response.