PDA

View Full Version : cat converter question?

nyc #1 ironman
04/17/2004, 09:26 PM
I have been told by someone that mine is weak. I am going to bring it to the dealer but am afraid they are going to tryyyyyyyyyyyy to blame my PV2 muffler, and then I can't have it fixed under warranty. Is there anyway they can try to say this could be the cause? We all know how they can be !!! Thanks,,, George

Anita
04/17/2004, 10:15 PM
George,

Shoot an email to John Finnell (Featherfoot) to add to anything said here.

Hotsauce
04/18/2004, 02:56 AM
George:

What problem initially caused you to think cat was bad? Have you eliminated the O2 sensors as possable fault?

John C.

nyc #1 ironman
04/18/2004, 11:13 AM
yes, i did the 02 sensors are new bout 3 months old. my mechanic says the cat was weak, and my other friend smelled it as he drove it. I really can't see the dealer would claim the pv2 is at fault because the cat comes first then the pv like i said i just wanted to know if they could find their own lilttle isuzu way of blaming me and making me have to pay?

jayfotos
04/18/2004, 02:34 PM
I'm qurious, how can you tell your cat is weak or bad?

Same with the 02 sensors, is there something to watch out for?

zadam123
04/18/2004, 04:49 PM
George

I forgot to tell you if you need an OEM muffler i still have mine, if you want to change back its yours. Just in case you feel isuzu will come up with there way of saying "its your fault not mine"

adam

Hotsauce
04/18/2004, 07:41 PM
When o2 sensors go bad they cycle slower. Once they fail totally, its usually low output.

John C.

jayfotos
04/18/2004, 08:07 PM
OKaaaaay, but how do you know?

Is there something that is noticeable, like poor preformace, sputtering etc?

Is a 02 sensor something that needs matinence, say on a 30k overhaul?

nyc #1 ironman
04/19/2004, 08:01 PM
Well, it was my check engine light that came on and my mechanic put it up to the scanner and like Hotsauce mentioned they showed a type of slowdown which I guess a mechanic would know what the cause was. Adam, thanks 4 the offer about the stock muffler, but geez, I would have to pay to take it off and put the other one back on and then vice verse when the dealer is done looking at it no?

Hotsauce
04/19/2004, 08:08 PM
Do you know what codes it set? Low o2 is one of the codes that intake gasket failure triggers.

John C.