PDA

View Full Version : supercharger and maintenance?

autox-racer
04/16/2004, 07:24 AM
Quick question, is there any other maintenance that should be preformed during a supercharger install? ie, timing belt, hoses, belts, thermostat from a time and labor standpoint?

I have a intake gasket leak and the most economical solution would be to install a supercharger :) and was wondering what else should be replaced at the same time.

Thanks

Tone
04/16/2004, 05:56 PM
Themostat and any hoses under the manifold would be a good idea to change and of course the intake gaskets. It is also a good time to change the main serpentine belt if you have not done so in the previous 12-18 months as it will be off during the install and is behind the SC belt - I recommend the Gatorback belt - p/n has been posted several times previously.

Some installers have experienced cutting of the injector o-rings so having spares on hand might be wise. I have installed over a half dozen kits and never cut one.

Depending on your mileage, other items might should be done at the same time - see your owners manual for factory recommendations. I would also recommend changing to synthetics if you have not already done so.

Zu4two
04/16/2004, 10:33 PM
When I put in my blower at about 60K, I went ahead and changed the timing belt, the water pump and the belt tensioner. Of course I also replaced the serpentine belt and the intake gaskets. You don't need to touch the thermostat, unless you're having issues with it. It's not your everyday T-stat. It comes as an assembly for like $70!

I don't think I've ever heard the excuse - My intake gaskets are leaking, so I have to install a supercharger to fix it!

So Tone. What is involved with replacing the serpentine belt, once the supercharger kit is installed? My belt is showing signs of wear and I'm thinking about changing it. Does the whole idler bracket have to come off?

Just wondering, before I take on the task.

Tone
04/17/2004, 06:37 AM
loosen the nose cone bracket and you can slide the old belt off.