PDA

View Full Version : Just to add to the CF drama...

Joe_Black
04/15/2004, 07:34 PM
As some may remember I threw my hat into the ring to find some answers to the induction/extraction debate and get a quality CF hood and insert produced. Well, I'm still doing that, but in a different way. Those that contacted me regarding interest in the test data for airflow and development of a fuctional hood don't worry, I'll still be staying relatively on schedule with the testing and such with updates as expected. But, I've made another decision for the actual production.

I'm starting construction on a new 1500 sq. foot shop in the next month or two, depending on how permitting and harvesting some of my timber go. This will provide me with the space to undertake production of my own CF and FRP components. Yep, that's right, I'm going to do it myself. With two VX's and possibly a third in my stable I can pull molds and prototype at will, without the need for fitting or not having a ride to work. Also, this will be pre-preg, vacuum-bagged oven-cured CF instead of the wet-layup garbage. If I can lay my hands on or fab a good sized autoclave then I'll be really happy. See, my real interest is producing parts for my aviation and sailing interests, hence the aerospace quality I seek. The VX mods will be a bonus spinoff.

Now here's the best part: When I develop something I do it out of my pocket on my own time. Then I'll offer it to the VX family without drawing anyone into some game with money, promises and disappointment. Nothing's for sale until it's in inventory waiting to be shipped somewhere. That's just good business.

Of course there's a downside, as with all seemingly good things. Time. Don't expect anything from me until end-of-year/first-of-year. Got a lot on my plate and plus I'm a freakin' perfectionist.

Anyway, just really want some good, real CF mods for myself and don't see any coming soon. Plus, as mentioned, they're needed for other non-VX projects as well. So for those patient enough to wait for quality rather than something you gotta keep out of the sun this is your heads-up.

Heraclid
04/15/2004, 07:45 PM
I'm definitely in... that is music to my ears! You are da man! :-) If you need any help for anything along the way, just holler!

Dallas4u
04/15/2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Don't expect anything from me until end-of-year/first-of-year.

You're a tease!!! :D SOunds great Joe! Looking forward to seeing your work!

VehiCrazy
04/16/2004, 06:07 AM
I am in. Way in... The idea of a 1500 square foot shop makes me drool... I'm jealous.

Radiologue
04/16/2004, 06:28 AM
Go Joe!

Cyrk
04/16/2004, 07:52 AM
Very COOL!!! Good luck and keep us posted!
-Dave

Bantan
04/16/2004, 01:20 PM
CF cladding - The more I think about it, the more I want it.

t2p
04/16/2004, 01:46 PM
Bantan:
Check out the cladding in some of the pics found on these links:
http://park16.wakwak.com/~kero/vehicross/menu2.htm
http://www63.tok2.com/home2/vehi/toyota1/toyota1.htm
t2p

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/16/2004, 01:53 PM
Good luck with your endeavor....and no matter how things turn out, you really seem to have your heart into it! I think any wait will be worth it!

t2p
04/16/2004, 02:05 PM
..... when I see think 'Carbon Fiber drama' .......
I unfortunately remember the Space Shuttle (Columbia) disaster ....

Joe_Black
04/16/2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks much all! As for cladding, it's not on my personal list but my autoclave and equipment will be large enough to handle that kind of job. Tell you what, those that are interested in CF cladding let me know after the first of the year and I'll seriously consider producing the panels. Contrary to what some have been told you can make a mold of just about anything without destroying the original, and the cladding will be very easy to make accurate molds from. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, if I choose to do the job I won't expect anything from anyone until the parts fit perfectly and are ready to ship.

Heraclid
04/16/2004, 03:01 PM
t2p, that first link was very cool - really liked all the pics of the Baja 1000 and Paris-Dakar VX's! I sure do wish I had some way to lay hands on one of 'em!

Joe, that would be really awesome! You've been the impetus behind getting some nice meets put together, you're a major contributor to this board, you set up a SCCA rallycross course on your property and went through God knows what red tape in the process, and now you're talking about fabbing parts for us too?!

Three cheers for Joe Black folks!!!