PDA

View Full Version : 3" lift has been completed

VCAMILO
04/15/2004, 07:25 AM
;Db; I followed Triathlete's directions and I did not have a problem. For directions click HERE. (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1816) It took me about 5.5 hrs due to the fact that I did not have all the tools listed. I assumed my buddy had all of that in his garage. I was missing the 22mm and 19mm wrenches (20 bucks). So I waisted 10 minutes looking for tools and 30 minute driving to buy the wrenches. An hour later I was using a rubber hammer.rods, rocks, car jacks, etc... to try to get the arm loose from the ball joint. NOTHING WORKED!!! So after one hour I drove another 30 minutes to buy the 4lb hammer (12 bucks). With the hammer it only took 1 minute. :rolleyes: With all the tools and a friend I could have done it under 2 hours. Pictures? Pictures? they are coming. I'm getting my Nitto tires put on today. ;Dr;

Triathlete
04/15/2004, 08:47 AM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Let the fun begin!:smack:

SPAZZ
04/15/2004, 09:35 AM
when adjusting T bars...remember to bounce your VX up and down to let them settle...or you will crank them and think you got desired heighth and then after you get an alignment you will be driving home and then realize you need to crank T bars some more to match on both sides and another alignment.....

have fun, but you would have loved the OME 919's for 4" of lift...also stiffer shocks in the rear will improve ride quality and save your springs from sagging

azskyrider
04/15/2004, 10:28 AM
SPAZZ- Are those longer than the 912s? I read somewhere where someone I think said to go with 913 which will increase the rear more but after awhile will settle to normal heigth.:confused:

AK VX Lvr
04/15/2004, 12:07 PM
Can you pick up the 919s??? Everyplace I see has the 912s and some have the 913s, but I can't seem to find the 919s...
:wtfr2: :wtfr2: :wtfr2:
Dave

jayfotos
04/16/2004, 03:59 PM
PICS, PICS, PICS!

VCAMILO
04/18/2004, 11:44 AM
Here you go...
http://66.135.165.164:81/images/oracle/DSC00257b.jpg

http://66.135.165.164:81/images/oracle/DSC00256.jpg

WormGod
04/19/2004, 12:50 PM
Looking nice VC.

I do think that going UP is my choice now. I wanted to lose 2" in height, but recently the appeal of just gaining height has pretty much interested me more. This spring-summer, I may give it a go. :)

DaPenetrator
04/19/2004, 01:07 PM
Kindda off this subject a bit.... Here can I get the Chrome Mirror Covers?

VCAMILO
04/19/2004, 07:10 PM
Chrome mirror covers... LOL! You will have to catch someone selling theirs here. They were an option only available in Japan. They dont make them anymore. I WON mine on this website. Someone donated them and I won the Monthly Question Raffle. WOWHOO!! It was a nice X-mas gift. All you have to do is start asking. Someone might have a set laying around. :eek: But they are expensive... I think they ran like 175 or more.

johnnyapollo
04/19/2004, 08:32 PM
The original price was around $75 plus freight (it was even cheaper when the exchange rate was better - OEM price was 8000 yen). With lack of availability and high demand, the price has gotten rather inflated.

-- John

WormGod
04/21/2004, 08:01 AM
Ok, as far as this lift option goes, I have a few added questions....

What is the largest tire anyone has been able to put on with this spring/flip/torsion lift? I am sure my 285/60's will look like a pair of skinny legs sticking out of a pair of baggy shorts.

It seems that with these simple directions, if they were perhaps printed out and handed over to a TRUSTING shop, they would be able to commit to this for me. I simply don't want to mess around with it. I have put on suspension lifts MANY times before, but I just do't feel like messing with it. Call it lazy, heh.

And hopefully, if I do this (which I think is a serious, SERIOUS thought now), it will force me to slow my *** down on the roads. I dunno why, but with the VX, I have found myself in a situation where I get more tickets and accidents than I have ever had. *sigh*

Ah yes, before I forget.... I imagine a S/C would be a good addition to a higher lift with bigger meats to help turn more rubber eh? I guess that's another skeleton in the closet I should revisit.

Triathlete
04/21/2004, 08:23 AM
I will be going to 33's in the near future. They should fit easily with only some minor cladding trimming needed. Victor (VCAMILO) has 32's on his in the photo.

Radiologue
04/21/2004, 09:43 AM
For those of you that have completed the lift with the ball joint flip:

Have you noticed increased wear on the outside of your front tires due to the change in wheel camber?

Moncha
04/21/2004, 09:57 AM
If you have increased wear, you need to get an alignment. That should overcome the change.

Triathlete
04/21/2004, 01:22 PM
No wear here! As Moncha said, sounds like time to get an alignment.

Radiologue
04/22/2004, 10:04 AM
I have not lifted mine yet, but I just wanted to know if the torsion bar lift and ball joint flip resulted in a more positive camber and wearing of the outside corner of the front tires. Someone on here said that they went back to the stock configuration after noticing increased tire wear. I wanted to see what other people's experience was before I invested the time and money in the lift.

Thanks for your input.

VCAMILO
04/22/2004, 04:45 PM
Hum... Mine is only 6 days old! So I dont know. But Billy has had his for awhile now.... and he has had no issues.;Db;

WormGod
04/22/2004, 08:41 PM
Out of curiosity, is anyone here using the Calmini lift kit? Just wondering if there are any advantages over one way or the other.

SPAZZ
04/22/2004, 08:58 PM
Calmini lift kit includes

1) 2 front shocks
2) 2 rear shocks
3) rear brake line extension bracket
4) rear trac bar extension bracket (requires cutting)
5) 2 rear bump stop extensions
6) new cross member
7) 2 rear coils for 3" of lift
8) 2 front bump stop extensions
you only have to have

1) 2 rear coils
2) 2 rear bump stop extensions
3) stiffer longer shocks in rear, but you can use the stock rears

you can use stock shocks, but stiffer longer shocks would be better in rear. The front shocks are more than sufficient even with the sway bar disconnected. The trac bar extension realigns your rear axle..but only a fraction. Unless you disconnect your rear sway bar and go with a substantial longer shocks in rear...you should not need the rear brake line extension bracket, but nice to have, only you can make your own. You do not need the new crossmember or front bump stop extensions.

Kahuna
04/24/2004, 09:15 AM
Hey Spazz,

Is that what you were talking about when we spoke on the phone? Just last night I sent Calmini an email. So, if I read right, I don't need the full kit.......just the parts you listed?! BTW, when are you coming to S.D. to do all this stuff to my car? I'll certainly screw up my baby if I do it;Db;

WormGod
04/27/2004, 05:07 PM
That's cool SPAZZ. Thanks for the input. Even though we would save a few bucks on the garage install, does the Calmini kit offer anything more for the lift experience? Is all that extra gear just overkill for the buck?

biju
09/28/2006, 05:31 AM
;Db; I followed Triathlete's directions and I did not have a problem. For directions click HERE. (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1816)

Did anybody snag the pictures from the link above (from the 'how to')? They all seem to be broken. Billy, anyway you could send them to me, or have them reposted?

Thanks.

-biju.

Triathlete
09/28/2006, 05:41 AM
You don't need no stinkin pictures...just do it.
Seriously, its really easy to. If you have any problems let me know and I will try and round up some pics if you need them.

biju
09/28/2006, 05:47 AM
Billy,

Seriously, I could burn down a house simply by turning on a light switch. In other words, I'm pretty mechanically retarded (and I mean that in the most endearing of ways...) I have no idea what a 'spindle' or 'ball joint' are, and have never used a torque wrench.... LOL.....

All I know is I have these springs now and am compelled to put them on myself.

Pictures would really help. Plus I'd appreciate it x1000.

Thanks, man!

-biju.

Triathlete
09/28/2006, 05:55 AM
Pics sent to the email addy in your profile. Now get out there and bust some knuckles! :smack:

JHarris1385
09/28/2006, 08:57 AM
If its not too much of a hassle could you sent those pics to me as well

Jharris1385@aol.com
Jharris@sndirect.com

Thanks.

uncle_asa
09/28/2006, 09:58 AM
You don't need no stinkin pictures...just do it.
Seriously, its really easy to. If you have any problems let me know and I will try and round up some pics if you need them.
I wonder why someone may want to do ball joint flip? I also missed that photos, so I cannot understand what is that from the practical point of view? Does it add some clearance, reduce driveshaft angle, or what?

TEN36VX
09/28/2006, 09:43 PM
Uncle Asa, its more of a 'relocation' than a 'flip'. It relocates the upper BJ mount to the underside of the upper A-arm.
Like Ldub said, makes it easier to align.

pbkid
09/28/2006, 10:06 PM
ahh biju i cant let it happen...you cant get the lift before me....darn the poor college life =(....had to have the better sound system, now you gotta have the lift first huh? =)

tbigity
10/03/2006, 08:03 PM
billy, i know you are prolly sick of this, esp since this thread got bumped...but I am kicking around this idea and havent decided this or the calmini. Most here seem to be biased to the BJ flip as opposed to paying too much for the calminis.

In any event, pics? please? (you're sick of gettin asked bout it, arent ya?)

also, spazz...any ideas on where to get the 919s?

VXDRUMMER2
10/22/2006, 01:13 PM
I have 33's on my VX and they are great but i had to trim the cladding a little bit

tbigity
05/06/2007, 06:46 AM
<bump>
albeit an uber-delayed bump, but a bump nontheless
</bump>

Ldub
05/06/2007, 07:06 AM
...any ideas on where to get the 919s?

919's are in stock & ready to ship at Independent 4X, I just installed a set yesterday on my wheelin bud's Trooper.(see pic in Moab convoy thread) ;)
Matt got em' to me fast!

tbigity
05/06/2007, 07:31 AM
many thanks

E-ZooZoo One
05/06/2007, 07:36 AM
Matt got em' to me fast!
I'll bet that he got my 912s to me even faster... since all he had to do was pull them off the shelf at his shop and hand them to me :smilewink :razzgray: :laughgray

Upon getting our VX, I know that I said it would be at least 3 years before I would mod it -- but (A) the rear springs are shot, and (B) the VehiCROSS is now paid off... 2 years ahead of schedule!

If all goes as planned, in a couple of weeks (or so) there should be another lifted VX running around!

:thumbup:

BTW:
I'm having the same Red X problem with Triathlete's photos that others have reported...
And kpaske's Link results in: "The page cannot be displayed"

Good thing I've already got some Isuzu Lifting Experience under my belt :smilewink

Triathlete
05/06/2007, 05:05 PM
For all of the pictures that go with my lift how-to go here (http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/triathltb/)
there are other pics there but the ones you need are pretty obvious...the ones that are NOT bikes! :_confused

WormGod
05/07/2007, 07:35 AM
For all of the pictures that go with my lift how-to go here (http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/triathltb/)
there are other pics there but the ones you need are pretty obvious...the ones that are NOT bikes! :_confused

But, Billy.... I was hoping for the pics on "How to lift your bike".

:cool:

E-ZooZoo One
05/07/2007, 07:52 AM
... go here (http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/triathltb/)
Thanks!

Yep, that's pretty much what I figured they'd look like...
Mine should be 'going up' on the 23rd :smilewink

Triathlete
05/07/2007, 08:03 AM
But, Billy.... I was hoping for the pics on "How to lift your bike".

:cool:

Nope, my bike is built for speed...its the white Griffen! It sees NO "dirt" duty.

Ascinder
05/07/2007, 11:11 AM
For all of the pictures that go with my lift how-to go here
there are other pics there but the ones you need are pretty obvious...the ones that are NOT bikes!

Oh man, where was post a month ago, it sure would have been nice to see some pictures then.... :(

tbigity
05/08/2007, 06:28 PM
thanks a ton billy!