PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Monster Truck

SpaceTruck'n
04/12/2004, 07:52 PM
Isuzu Monster Truck

Why isn’t there an Isuzu monster truck?
The only vehicles Isuzu makes are trucks and SUVs so, hey, how about a factory sponsored monster truck?

To target thier demographic they could use an Ascender and call it like... RABID SOCCER MOM or something!
Awesome advertising and a breakthrough for imports in the field.
Just a thought, after reading everyone thoughts on the cultural differences between Europe and US regarding the Ford Spork-a Commercial.
Also, I think that the Sportka is a pretty cool looking car. If they were available in the US I think they would be popular, hell, I’d buy one! As long as there wasn't a dead cats head in the front seat.
Also, I was watching The World Rally Championship on “Speed Channel” once and I noticed they have a lot of pretty cool cars ( Some are Limey or Aussy Fords ) that simply arent available here. What’s the deal? I mean whom at Ford decides what design goes where?

PS. Can you put a Spoon engine in a Spork?
:)

BOARZHEAD
04/12/2004, 08:18 PM
hoping soon to be the Monster VX...

Hotsauce
04/13/2004, 03:26 AM
Ford has its head up its tailpipe.

Since early 80's Ford has had Cosworth 4WD cars. Not here. Subaru and Mitsubishi are finally seeing the light, and bring in watered down versions of their European rally cars.

Mustangs? Ever since the 5.0 Mustang came out, customers have wanted to order it with the 351. It fits, 100% bolt on, but not available, even in the upscale cars, mark7, or continental.

John C.

lastmandrummer
04/13/2004, 03:49 AM
yeah!
you would think that a company that only really makes trucks would have something to prove in the monster truck world......and since the damn trucks are almost all the same design...(body look exceptional) they really don't need much of a design team...
hell even make a killer run at the rally racing field......

would be neat even if it did not take off.....

Dallas4u
04/13/2004, 08:31 AM
Maybe Isuzu should go off on their own again, regroup, lay low, make a name in rally... go in the footsteps of Subaru (keeping the commercial truck market that they do well in), then bring in some sweet-***** high-hp trucks and SUVs that Americans long for.

Hell, after moving to Portland I have never SEEN so many Subarus on the road. They LOVE them up here.

Joe_Black
04/13/2004, 02:10 PM
Since early 80's Ford has had Cosworth 4WD cars. Not here.

Yeah, they did, and they were called Merkur and no one cared.;pg; Well, the Sierra was 2WD but if they would've sold then Ford would have brought more of the "sport" range to the US.

As for Isuzu monster trucks, you should see the guy running around here with a 1st Gen Trooper on Deuce-and-a-half running gear. That's a monster Isuzu!

Daver
04/13/2004, 06:09 PM
Merkur was a marketing disaster more than anything. Ugly cars with a weird name don't sell.

Those that had Merkurs, and those that have Merkurs, often love them. Definitely enthusiast cars these days.

Personally I'd never drive something so hideous looking.

-Daver

Joe_Black
04/13/2004, 08:25 PM
Those that had Merkurs, and those that have Merkurs, often love them.

That would be me!;Do; The '89 I recently sold on eBay took first place in stock-class at Carlisle a year ago. I also have a shell that's slated to be either a Group A or N works-replica rally car. Been accumulating European parts for years. It may look funky, but it's one of the most awesome cars in autosport history!

SpaceTruck'n
04/14/2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
It may look funky, but it's one of the most awesome cars in autosport history!

They had an awesome engine. A Cosworth turbo with an adjustable waste-gate as I recall... Back in '86?
A friend of mine (who totaled two of them) was getting over 300hp TO THE WHEELS on the dyno at his school. Or so he said.
I belive him too, it was a rocket after 25 mph. The power would just keep comming on, and on and on and on...

Joe_Black
04/14/2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how much they got out of that mill. The US models got the same engine as the Mustang SVO, the 2.3L as opposed to the 2.0L Cosworth, but didn't use the T5 tranny as the European models got. Nope, they used the T9 "Hummer", which could barely handle the power. You could easily get 300HP at the wheels with minor, and mostly "bolt-on", modifications. I'm planning on approximately 380-400HP at the wheels with my build, which will be intercooled and water-injected with a Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid. MORE POWER!;eekg;

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/15/2004, 06:09 PM
ISUZU seems unwilling to spend the moola to market themselves effectively. Other than a few commercials on TBS and the Weather Channel...that has been it! I was really disappointed when (for 2-years running) I went to the Pittsburgh Auto Show and saw every brand imaginable on display EXCEPT for you know who!

If I were ISUZU...I would have at least brought the Axiom for people to sample...so many don't even know it exists!

Swordy
04/16/2004, 04:01 AM
Last I heard from an isuzu rep that was sent to our banquet in Moab, was that they were going to get away from catering to the offroad crowd and start focusing on other markets that was about the time the Axiom, Ascender and Rodeo Sport came out. I think that its terrible mistake. I see Isuzu dealers around here just disappearing. Also, the way their service reps treat me, I'm not sure I'd ever buy another Isuzu anyway. I'm filing claims with the BBB and the BAR just to try to get them to honor their 120k/10 year warranty. (excuse me for venting)
Andy

MrCrowley
04/16/2004, 04:34 AM
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/100

http://www.4x4mountainsport.com/modifications/isuzu/isuzu_800x600.htm

http://www.4x4mountainsport.com/pictures/pictures_800x600.htm