PDA

View Full Version : Engine failure poll?

azskyrider
04/10/2004, 10:42 AM
What year VX did the engine failure occur?

Dallas4u
04/10/2004, 04:11 PM
Bump... keepin it at the top!

Daver
04/10/2004, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a trivia question. What do I win if I get it right? :D

-Daver

VX_PA
04/10/2004, 07:01 PM
As everyone here knows my year and my mileage, I just thought that I would tie it to this thread too.

Triple X
04/10/2004, 07:04 PM
'99/73.000

Andrey
04/10/2004, 08:33 PM
I do not think year has anything to do with it. Nobody can say for sure that only '99 engines had failed or only '01..... I have '99 with about 30K on it and I am worried about the engine also.. I use quaker 4X4 semisynthetic and change it every 2.5K.. besides before I drive I ALWAYS warm engine up... not sure if it will help in the future but I have no other means to prevent possible fatal mulfunction in the future

azskyrider
04/10/2004, 10:07 PM
I agree with you Andrey that the problem does not purtain to a specific year but this poll will rather hopefully keep some data for others to see.

Andrey
04/11/2004, 09:55 AM
Would it be feasible to do preventative replacement of parts on motor that did not fail ? I 've noticed at some thread that it might be design flaw.... but if it is a design flaw how come not each and every engine fail (read troopers et al. ) strange...

MZ-N10
04/11/2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Andrey
...but if it is a design flaw how come not each and every engine fail (read troopers et al. ) strange...

just a thought...maybe isuzu has a few plants creating the same 3.5l engine....

assuming tat isuzu has more then 1 plant producing the engines, i dont think the year is the problem....i think it was which plant produced the engine.....
________
Ocean View Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

SPAZZ
04/11/2004, 02:19 PM
I'm seriously considering this:

1994 Corvette LT1 engine with LT4 upgrade. The motor has 36000 miles. Motor is clean, but the power steering reservoir has been repaired. Complete with wiring harness and computer.Starter, Alternator, and AC compressor included.
&
4L60E Transmission
&
Chevy Truck C3500 REBUILT 456 one ton IFS front complete axle

if I do do this it will be real soon and I will not make it to Moab...maybe next year though. Also, I will be selling my stock complete front axle assembly with 456 gear ratio, engine and the 4L30E transmission, but will be keeping TOD case.

Dallas4u
04/11/2004, 05:26 PM
It would be a sweet replacement for sure... keep the Corvette covers on!

mrtew
04/12/2004, 04:17 AM
So have there only been 6 engine failures of VX's that we know of? I'm sure it was a huge crisis for the people that it happened to but maybe if you look at the numbers engine failure is not really an 'problem' for VX's. That would sure be good news for me and I'm sure many others who've been paniced over threads we've read here. Are there other people here who have lost their engine? Or people who have left the board after it happened and ditching trucks in disgust? I'm just trying not to let the talk here keep me from romping on mine when I'm out having fun!

Spike
04/12/2004, 09:52 AM
As mentioned in another thread:

My '00 Ironman died at 29k miles, about 2500 miles after I bought her last year ... rod tap (it was a heck of a lot louder than a tap!!!)

Dallas4u
04/12/2004, 10:26 AM
I know this thread is for VX's, but I'm pretty sure there have been just as many Troopers (and possibly Rodeos) with the same engine problem.

Besides, 6 out of around 4500 in the US... 6 that we know of (from people on this thread). There are many other VX owners out there, so who knows how many other engine failures... plus the other Trooper and Rodeo owners, or course.

Not to put more of a negative spin on this. I have a '99 and have had no engine problems (yet).

coachreed
04/13/2004, 07:30 PM
Another thing to throw into the question of motors... Isn't the Honda Passport really a Rodeo? Does it use the Isuzu engine? And if they do, do they have any problems with their motor? I would be curious to know how many different plants make the 3.5L motor... and if there is ANY corolation of problems to motors made at a particular plant.

Spazz... your gonna have problems squeezing that motor into the VX... it is narrower than the LS1 but it is also longer to accomodate the distributor... unlike the LS1 which is distributorless... the LS1 is gonna be a tight fit as it is and might end up getting the radiator relocated to the front side of the core support... not sure about that yet, but maybe.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

SPAZZ
04/14/2004, 10:18 AM
I'll cut firewall if necessary and move dash back 4 inches;eekp; ...

but, I think I will wait on engine for now and throw a Dana 60 in the rear, go with a Dana 44 solid axle in front, OX lockers fron/rear, 5.1 ratio, Warn winch, extra auxillary Yellow Top, on board air, and just about anything I pull out of ...um..my____ and decide to go with.

Maybe in 6 months I might light my hair on fire and do the engine/tranny swap. But, for now I will use this engine.

rx7tt95
07/07/2004, 08:34 AM
I"ve been away for quite some time from this board. I have a 99 VX at 68K and change and she's going strong. Out of the six failures we know on this board, what was the cause of failure? TIA.
Michel

billh23
07/08/2004, 12:30 PM
My 2000 died at 53,000. It was a rod bearing failure, replaced under powertrain warranty by Isuzu.

technocoy
07/16/2004, 11:49 AM
hey guys,
i know this gets brought up from time to time, but i'm really starting to wonder about all this. my 99' has about 43,000 on it and a new pcv valve, and the thing uses about a quart every 500-700 miles. i am running full synthetic in the engine. What is bothering me is that i am hearing this a whole lot over at the rodeo and trooper forums to. now people are like "it's not alot when you consider the number made". thats bull, it's typically happening around the same mileage, usually the same diagnosis, etc. this should not be happening frequently on an auto built in the late 90's, especially under 100k on the odometer. the fact that honda recalled thousands of cars because of 6 problems with oil leaks, and that ford just recalled almost a million because of a "POSSIBLE spring break" in cold weather climates, just makes me feel like we're getting bent even more. i had an amigo that i drove the hell out of and it didn't even whimper until 175,000 miles. come one isuzu, what happened? SOOO. what are the chances of starting a class action lawsuit? i love my vehicross and appreciate isuzu for bringing it to fruition, but this happens with more that just the engine with VX owners, people have had problems with getting things replaced UNDER WARRANTY much less out of. I am seriously thinking that this is something that needs to be done, alot of people here are coming out for the worse. It has me this riled and i don't even have the problem (knock on wood). i feel really bad for the others that this has happened to. and YES isuzu should be at fault here, they are comfy because this is something that bounces around a mileage that they are comfortable with because ittend to fall just outside their responsibility. but they are being deceptive in not announcing the problem and allowing people to purchase an auto that very likely may have engine failure just outside the warranty and under 100k.

anyway, just wondering... i think we should all come together and do this for the sake of friends and ourselves. it may happen to you next.

technocoy

VX_PA
07/16/2004, 12:27 PM
This was the biggest reason for getting rid of my VX. Isuzu as a company totally sucks. I thought that I'd miss my VX alot more than I do, but most of the time I don't even think about it. I just decided that I needed a vehicle I could just get into and drive without worrying that something is going to go wrong. Plus the $5000 dollar motor cost really hits the pocket hard. It never really had the power that I wanted so I didn't give up much. Sorry just have a really big grudge against Isuzu for the whole engine ordeal. Since it will never go away, I got rid of the thing that kept reminding me of them.

t2p
07/16/2004, 12:36 PM
43,000 on it and a new pcv valve, and the thing uses about a quart every 500-700 miles
actually, I would say that is a problem .......
potential of 5-10 qts of oil consumed per 5000 miles .....
OUCH .........
imagine how many vehicles would be sold if potential owners were informed you could/would use a quart of oil every 1000 miles ........

technocoy
07/16/2004, 12:38 PM
I can see your point. I just can't imagine getting rid of it, i can't explain how much i love this vehicle and i haven't even gotten crazy with my mods yet. I REALLY enjoy the rarity of it. But i know that i love it so much that i would replace the engine when it DID go. SO i don't think it's fair to owners who are loyal to have to deal with a company who isn't. i think they should be made to own up to a problem with their engines. i imagine that eventually i'll get a daily driver and cover the VX up to only be driven on weekends, but in the meantime i would like to not wonder when it may blow, as it's my only car right now (my dream car, but still my only car).

thanks for the input PA,
good luck with your new auto, now and hopefully past 50,000 miles!

david

VX_PA
07/16/2004, 12:44 PM
David,

Thanks for the kind words. I unfortunitely had to deal with Corp. Isuzu and their Regional Service Rep when I lost my engine. All I have to say is good luck getting Isuzu to take blame for anything on their products. Hopefully your VX lasts a long time without any major headaches.

Mike

technocoy
07/16/2004, 12:45 PM
i agree, i could drive that mileage in a trip to the mountains and back (or the coast) i don't care what anyone says, a quart every 1000 miles in any post 1990 vehicle is unacceptable. And i have had several aluminum engines that never did this (the 89' amigo) so the aluminum engine/head excuse is BS. My 85 nissan pickup didn't use this much oil in 96', and i drove the dog-piss out of that thing with oversized tires on it. I think we have all been patient enough, it's eat or be eaten, i just am not sure how to go about this, so i was looking to a response from all my VX friends as to whether this is something that it is time to get serious about.

vx69
07/16/2004, 10:59 PM
It is sad to hear the problems that people have had problems with their VX. I am lucky that I have not had a problem yet, I have a 00' with 35,000 on it and I have had a supercharger since 11,000 miles, and with the 6psi pulley since they first had them. I agree that these problems should not be happening on any vehicle as new as these. I personaly think GM is to blaim, especially after seeing that they plan on only allowing ISUZU to sell a rebadged Trailblazer for the next few years. I personaly love my vehicle, and if for any reason the motor does go out. I will just buy a used Axiom with the new direct injection 3.5L and do a lovely transplant!!!! I am sorry to those of you that have had these problems.

Randy
07/17/2004, 06:39 AM
164,000 miles and going strong on my '99!!!

I think Isuzu is great... Just hope they build something else as sporty for me soon before Toyota puts their FJ Cruiser on the market and in the showrooms.

Maugan_VX
08/14/2004, 08:50 PM
why don't you guys that are worried about engine failure put your minds at ease and simply pop your EGR valve off, spray it down with carb cleaner and put it back on. Take the PCV out, shake it next to your ear. If you hear it rattle you can keep it in, if you don't feel comfortable in that decision, replace the $4 part.
If it still consumes oil afterwards, call James Scot Farrin.

Cyrk
08/18/2004, 12:55 PM
vx69, are you sure about the 6psi pulley? I have the upgraded 5psi one. I am not aware of a 6lb one... yet.

chucklee
08/18/2004, 02:17 PM
What is a PCV?

lowzone
08/18/2004, 02:33 PM
Hi all,
my friend is an Isuzu rep in NJ and he just showed up in a 05 Ascender. Rebadged Trailblazer, nope. Its like ssaying the Hombre was a rebadged s10. Every panel on the truck is different on the Assender (yes i know i spelled it incorrectly). The rear hatch, 1/4 panels, glass, i THINK the front doors are the same. Hood, fenders, front and rear bumper, all different. The cage (inner structure) might be the same as well as the inline 6 (droool). Anyway, he told me that alot of motors have been replaced under warranty, but alo have to do with owners not bringing the problem to Isuzu's attention soon. One guy refused a timing belt replacement repair (under warranty) because he needed the truck ASAP, guess what, timing belt broke. 6k for a new motor installed, not warrantied. AND YOU KNOW HE TRIED TO BLAME ISUZU. well thats my 2 cents
Ron

AlaskaVX
08/18/2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by chucklee
What is a PCV?
If you are looking at the engine there is a red plug with tube connected towards the front right (in front of the front right coil/plug). To change you just pull it out and put a new one in and recconnect the hose, easier then an oil change! Takes less then a minute!

austin8502
10/30/2004, 02:41 PM
Just ran across this thread and thought I would post my info... my engine failed at 78k. It had to be rebuilt twice.

Tone
10/30/2004, 03:38 PM
lowzone, when the timing belt fails on an Isuzu it does NOT trash the engine since it is a non-inteference type.

http://cherolet.com/trailblazer.htm

http://isuzu.com/ascender5.jsp;jsessionid=60C6A3EA3E107D547A0B99A14 C47EBEE.tomcat3

They are the same vehicles with a few panel and trim choices. A Chevy motor. Isuzu did not make this vehicle. An Isuzu exec brought one to Moab year before last when they announced the end of the Trooper and no one took him up on his offer to look at or drive it.

And BTW, you did spell it right! :winkp:

Doc
01/17/2005, 10:03 PM
50,000 miles up no problems so far. Actually, with the exception of the CD changer which has now just swallowed all the CD's that were in it, and refuses to work anymore, nothing has gone wrong anywhere on the whole vehicle yet.

james1vx
02/02/2005, 05:43 PM
:( mine 99 siver came up with an engine knock last week. was backing up and hit a snow bank in truck stalled right out. started it up and the knock started. the truck runs like nothing is wrong with it smooth idle and noise goes away when you give it a little gas not sure what to do nearest dealer is a 100 mile away.has 78,000 on it. any ideas?

AREA 51
02/04/2005, 07:31 AM
Did you check to see if the snowbank kinked your exh. pipe?

JAFO
02/04/2005, 05:32 PM
All I have to say is as far as 4X4 SUV companies go, if you disclude Isuzu who do you have left? Jeep and LandRover. And if you want to talk problems...

Else I would take a Hummer H1 or military HUMVEE but who can aford one.

wareagle
03/27/2005, 07:11 AM
HAve there really been 24 seperate engine failures that VX owners have posted on this board? Given the relatively small member base, this is an incredibly high %.

Also, were the engines that failed consuming oil at time of failure? Was low oil to blame?

I'm looking at buying either an '01 VX and an '01 Trooper for a 32 mile daily commute. I used to own the '01 trooper that I'm looking at, and it consumed no oil. The VX is reported to consume some oil at highway speeds.

Eckstream
04/01/2005, 11:13 AM
I have a '00 Ironman and just suffered a blown motor..... The original owner I just found out replaced the motor at 25,000mi and now Im replacing it at 51,000mi.... Both myself and the original owner kept the truck in tip top shape as we both did synthetic changes every 2,500mi..... I never had problems keeping the oil in the motor. I was told the reason my motor is blown is because the 3.5L V6 had a top end oil problem.... Oil is not getting to the top of the #3 cylinder and it seizes.... of course the motor is still running so it snaps the connecting rod( this would be the tapping noise everyone hears). Isuzu is replacing my motor under warranty and setting me up with a stronger oil pump(to get the oil up to that #3 cylinder) and making some mods to my head to allow the oil to flow better. Ive had the pcv valve problem and dont think it has anythin to do with your motor blowing( just stalling and check engine light coming on). What worries me is the fact my warranty ends at 75,000 mi..... If my motor blows on schedule again Ill be buying one. I talked to the dealership about maybe getting something new because of these problems but was only offered 9k for a trade in! I bought it new a yr 1/2 ago for $19,000..... What a rip off. I think my next vehicle will rely on a japanese manufacturer since Ive had no luck with american motors. Anyway I take extremely good care of my VX and drive it gently so this proves there is a design flaw in the motor and no one is immune to this problem.

Eckstream
04/01/2005, 11:21 AM
O yeah..... When it blew I was on my way to work... It was fine in the morning but halfway to work after pulling out from a stop light it started to tap and by the time I got to work my connecting rod had punched through the cylinder wall.

Thejerseyfish
05/06/2005, 02:19 PM
You can make that 6 engines to seven. I have a 99 currently with 108k, at about 40k the engine went kerplunk. They told me that I threw a rod and that the oil res was empty. Found this odd considering since temp never went up, just had oil changed a week prior and had checked the oil 1 day before knock began. Luckily this occured just after 9/11, like the next day. They tried to say it was my fault, and since I mostly changed the oil myself since I got it I could provide no oil change reciepts except for the ones that I had done in the winter months. However "Due to the recent circumstances of 9/11 we will replce the engine for you." It sounds crazy but their reasoning was that since the market plummeted after 9/11 they wanted to keep up good relations and so fixed. Personaly I think that it was due to the fact that I told them that I would sue if they didn't. Since then haven't had a problem with the engine except for a list thats about a mile long, Mass airflow sensor, check engine light off and on, intake manifold gasket, just to name a few. I love the car but hate the ridiculous problems that come with it.

Owner of the car you love to hate but just can't
Randon

GoIsuzu
05/06/2005, 06:45 PM
I'm currently dealing with three customers who are having problems with internal oil consumption on the 3.5L. Of those three, one is a VX still under warranty when the oil consumption monitoring was started. Just a couple days ago we got the go-ahead to start the actual process of dropping a new long block under the hood.

If you have an older 3.5L the rule of thumb is to check your oil every time you fill up. If you find you're often low on oil and your vehicle is still under warranty* I'd suggest calling your local Isuzu dealership and get the ball rolling. The process could take weeks or months, depending on the rate of oil consumption and how often you drive the vehicle.

* Remember that if you're the second owner of the vehicle and not immediate family of the original owner your warranty coverage is cut in half. For example, as a second owner of my Isuzu my 120,000 mile/10 year powertrain warranty is reduced to 60,000/5 years. Which means my Isuzu is no longer covered under warranty, though it would be if I were the original owner.

GoIsuzu
05/06/2005, 06:49 PM
Another thing to throw into the question of motors... Isn't the Honda Passport really a Rodeo? Does it use the Isuzu engine? And if they do, do they have any problems with their motor? I would be curious to know how many different plants make the 3.5L motor... and if there is ANY corolation of problems to motors made at a particular plant.

1) It's not the plant, it's the motor design.

2) The Passport is the same thing. I've yet to run into a Passport in our shop that gives us any problems when using Isuzu special tools or diagnostic equipment. I can reprogram a Passport with Isuzu's diagnostic software and Isuzu's (err, GM's) diagnostic scanner recognizes the Passport as a Rodeo with full diagnostic capability.

mrtew
05/07/2005, 04:20 AM
...If you have an older 3.5L the rule of thumb is to check your oil every time you fill up. ...

Always good advice, of course, but from the stories I've heard the loss of oil is sudden and catastrophic, not something you'd catch like that... people say one day it's fine and the next day blammo. Right?

I'm hoping, like everyone else, that these are just normal random explosions that happen to a certain tiny percentage of all cars and we only know about them because we are so tighly knit and such prolific writers, but you can never have too much info when you're trying to protect a vehicle as beloved as most of ours are.

majork
06/27/2005, 08:13 PM
I have a ninety-nine with 142,000...its used a modest amount of oil since it was at 8000 miles....about a 1/8 quart every 1000-1200 miles...

I made sure over that time to keep it topped off......but I have not noted any knocking or tapping

assuming a non-defective engine, with synthetic use since day one...how long would these engines normally maintain peak performance before needing a rebuild

What about upgrading the oil pump and the head to improve oil flow...are these parts available?

brianboru
07/16/2005, 09:55 AM
Hi,
Rod knock just started last night - 1999 with 61k mi. So, where do I get an engine and how bad is it going to hurt (my wallet)? I would be REALLY upset except ths is one of the best and most fun of all the vehicles I have owned.
Also is it possible to drop the oil pan to actually check out the damaged rod?
Thanks,
Brian

VX_PA
01/06/2006, 12:19 PM
Brian, that's sad to hear. I'm not sure how much a new engine will run you. It seems that the prices have gone up since I replaced mine a few years ago. You should be able to pull the oil pan and notice the damage to the rod if it is bad. You may have to turn the cam to check all the rods thouroughly though. Good luck to you and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

rx7tt95
01/06/2006, 12:55 PM
I'm currently a bit over 100K on the original engine. It's used oil since about 40K miles perhaps....recently I switched to 15w-50 Mobil1 synth instead of the 10W30 synthetic. I've used synth since day one, either Royal Purple when I'm feeling frisky to off the shelf Mobil 1 synth(which if you didn't know, is no longer a true synthetic but a highly refined dino-based oil like Syntec). Oil consumption problems stopped with the switch to the heavier weight. Being in subtropical Florida, the heavier weight isn't an issue. I JUST replaced the sparkplugs for the first time...they were almost gone, worn down to the electrode "nub". Replaced them with stock plugs. I use Royal Purple in in the tranny, transfer and diffs. It's never been in for regular maintenance (other than oil, tranny and bearing repack for the hubs) and is still going strong. If we don't trade her in for a "vert", I'll probably spend the money to change the belt and have the valves clearanced.

WyldWeasel
04/07/2006, 10:17 PM
I'm curious about Majork's question, as well. Would replacing the oil pump with a beefier one fix (or at least mitigate) this engine failure issue? Are there any other mods that could be considered preventative maintenence?

Mark B
04/23/2006, 07:35 AM
2000 Dragon Green, 39,999 miles and still going.
No major problems at this time.
All the issues on engine failure concern me.
Anything I can do to hopefully extend the life of my engine?
I do regular scheduled maintenance on my VX.

colmhd
10/09/2006, 10:40 AM
My Green Dragon 2000 had it's tooth pulled last summer,
An expensive little operation which has left me with an engine warning light that blinks on as soon as the diagnostics had cleared it..
It had 84k on the clock that's miles not km, when the #1 cylnder started that little tapping noise.
Caught it just in time.

orionblues
10/10/2006, 06:19 AM
I've got a 99 VX that just broke 100000 miles. I drive it everyday, and for the most part, it's been a great car. The big exception is coolant issues.

I had to get my Head Gasket replaced last winter, and no one gave me a definite answer as to why it failed. I just recently had to get a water pump replaced, which is understandable, as it was an original part.

Biggest Problem? got to be part confusion. I have a VX made in 5/99. As such, it's on the cusp of the next manufacturing run. Mewchanics are always ordering the wrong part for my car (timin belt, water pumo, head gasket) doubling the wait time. I'm sure that problem isn't unique to VX or Izusu, but it sure is damn annoying.

I've never had any engine probs, but just have become paranoid about coolant. I heard from a mechnaic when I bought it that coolant was the main issue/problem with the VX. With all the VX's in CA and thier hot areas, I'm curious if coolant is an issue there as well. I rarely even use the Power Drive, as I worry about overheating the engine.

LeglizHemp
10/12/2006, 01:27 PM
2001 39,500 miles

had some overheating probs this summer. nothing bad. noticed in late may while sitting in parking lot at work smoking a cigarette at break time with car running and A/C on that car would almost overheat in 15 mins. this is 1st year no workplace smoking laws in effect here. it sucks. it never got that hot while driving. i attributed it to the 90 degree weather. noticed again while in traffic after the F1 race in june. hot day air conditioning on and stopped and stopped more traffic. it concerned me some but but didn't happen again. i went from indy to DC and virginia coast and back in early july. no problems. took car in for oil change tonight and told dealer about overheating and to look into it. guy said they took off radiator cap and it was bubbling, which he said was a sign of a blown head gasket or a cracked head. he said i'd be fine thru the winter but next year could be real bad.

what do you think? fix it now or fix it later? and does this sound correct?

MoonRaker
01/07/2007, 05:32 PM
Im rebuilding my motor cause someone sludged the oil before I bought it, I told isuzu about it when I got it at 36,000 miles but they said it was OK, iwalked away calling them cocksuckers. Its at 65,000 miles now 5000 over warenty and im lucky I made it a 1000 miles from DC to Florida, had to change the oil every 500 miles because it was fuming me out and the oil was burning that fast. It also blew the rear main. Gona do a teardown this week and look at the damage. Does anyone now what the cylinder walls are made of. Im thinking of getting them nickosiled to stock specks and getting total seal to make up some gapless rings for it. Do alittle head porting and angle cut the valves and seats, and bearings. Kinda build it bullet proof, atleast try.

jgalt
01/09/2007, 09:18 AM
2000 - 65,000 miles :(

Rod knock started at dealer while in for 60K service. Bought a re-built long block from Rhino Engines for $3,900 (3-year, 100,000 mile warranty) vs near 6,000 from the local Isuzu dealer (1-year warranty). Seems pretty tight now.

chriswtx
01/19/2007, 04:14 PM
:( I was looking at a 2001 with 52K miles on it to buy. Now after reading this I'm not sure. I drive 60miles round trip every day to work..I need it trouble free for the next 50K miles... :(

WiSDoM
01/19/2007, 05:25 PM
MY 2000 has 120,000 +/- and I drive it over 60 miles everyday and no problems. I don't worry about it. Just keep track of your oil changes and fluid levels in between changes.

MoonRaker
01/25/2007, 06:01 PM
Ive been dreading the rebuild and putting it off. Ive been reading alot on the history of problems with this peticuler engine. Im a very reputable engine builder so ive got alot of experiance from my 15 years of building. I work at Email address pettitracing,com and have been there since 04, the yellow RX-8 belongs to me. From the info ive seen it lookes like the main problem stems from sticking oil seals on the pistons. It causes excessive blow-by and from what ive seen breakes down the oil very fast causing lots of problems before you figure out whats wrong. Ive herd of crank bearings going out causing crank failure and also rod bearings. Im lucky to the fact of catching the problem early. It seems to happen from 50,000 to 80,000 miles. Im not shure if its from going to long between oil changes or carbon biuldup but im thinking that its the main cause. I mention earlyer in the thread that someone sludged the oil and can also say thats what started the problem. Maintnence or lack of tends to hurt the VX. As good as it still runs im willing to bet that oil rings are the only thing thats wrong with my engine so far. Bearings and seals are getting replaced for shure though.

CoastieCosta567
02/17/2007, 06:30 PM
i have a 99' ironman with 117.000 miles on it and it has never had engine trouble in the past and its clean now too.

mrtew
02/18/2007, 04:42 AM
The failures are horrible and everytime someone posts here I get that "there but for the grace of God, go I" feeling, but so far this thread documents 38/6000 of VX engines going bye-bye. Obviously there must be some that didn't get posted here, but a 1% failure rate would be over 600 engines. It looks like we have somewhere between a one-in-a-hundred and one-in-a-thousand chance of problems with a VX which is not enough to justify either that feeling of dread that I get when my oil is a touch low or brown, or the feeling that others get that maybe they shouldn't buy a used one. Right? What are the figures for other cars?

Voxicross
04/04/2007, 09:45 AM
My '99 just blew out at 66000 miles. In searching for an engine I found 2 Troopers for sale on ebay with the same engine which needed engine replacement. They want $3500 for a USED 3.5, which is about $2000 more than for similar engines. This leads me to believe a lot of them fail and there are not many good ones available to replace them with.

Rene M
01/17/2008, 10:11 PM
99 vx Rod knock
failed at 98k

mrtew
01/18/2008, 03:25 AM
Condolences dude. Living in Canada at first I thought you meant 98km and I was like whaaaaaaaat???? What are you going to do? Sure am sorry to hear that you didn't even make 100k but maybe the silver lining for the rest of us is that it's been over 9 months since someone posted in this thread. *prays* Post back if you have any info about what might have happened to it or what you did about it. Bummer.

etlsport
01/18/2008, 04:29 AM
no... there have been at least 2 other engines to kaboom in the past month :( sorry to hear about yours.. i think 98k is the highest ive heard of one going:cryb:

Rene M
01/18/2008, 05:49 AM
no... there have been at least 2 other engines to kaboom in the past month :( sorry to hear about yours.. i think 98k is the highest ive heard of one going:cryb:

lol, the highest? oh hell. I guess i am used to the Honda's i track where a 130k motor uses a bit of oil but still runs strong. No knocking! :o
I will see what they are going to do with it.

etlsport
01/18/2008, 10:23 AM
well no when these engines go it tends to happen from 30-60k miles after that most people are in the clear.. im pretty sure there are multiple VXs at 150 and 200k miles

i know what you mean about hondas though, we sold my dads old honda accord at 275k (original engine and trans) and its still running at 300k+

Rene M
01/18/2008, 06:20 PM
Mine are both Type R's one is a track car " road race" the other is a street .
I also have a CRX that i auto x with.

WERIX
02/06/2008, 06:43 AM
Hallo Colleagues :)

I am from Overseas and I have an '99 Ironman.
It has 105K MIles and I have got now an Engine Knock....
I even nedd an new Crankshaft for my VX but I can not find it on the net.
could somebody help to get a new Crank fro my VX?
many thanks in advance for your friendly replay and Help.

Rene M
02/06/2008, 04:41 PM
well # 1 rod earing spun but now she has a new "reman" long block in her.98k and going for another 98k

woody
02/07/2008, 08:46 AM
Great!! I've owned mine for 2 months...put 2000 miles on it and I hit 80,000.
Everything is strong, no leaks no heat issues...I've heard a few guys have changed over to synthetic oils...anybody had issues doing that??

Ldub
02/08/2008, 07:28 PM
Great!! I've owned mine for 2 months...put 2000 miles on it and I hit 80,000.
Everything is strong, no leaks no heat issues...I've heard a few guys have changed over to synthetic oils...anybody had issues doing that??

No issues, but I did get some oil on my favorite T-shirt.:sighwgray . :rolleyesg

To be on the safe side, you could change it to syn., run it with the new syn., then short change it again, (500-1000 miles) as soon as it starts to get a little dark on the dipstick...just to flush out the gunk.:_wrench:

woody
02/21/2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks LW...sorry bout the delayed response...been gone for the past few weeks!!
Will do and thanks for the info!!!
Woody

Tambourine Man
05/14/2008, 09:05 PM
Another one bites the dust. (99, Ebony)

From what I've gathered here and my gear head buddy heard, I threw a rod. Since I'm not a mechanically inclined person (no, not at all), I'll just describe it for ya. In early April, I noticed a pinging noise emanating from the engine. Well, that ping soon became a pronounced knock and evolved into a full-on jackhammer, especially when shifting gears at lower speeds. It tended to quiet down/even out between 50-60 MPH on the highway. Yes, the oil situation was pretty outrageous leading up to it.

Since I've known for a long time that I wasn't willing to throw anymore money at the vehicle, I just waited for the inevitable to happen. I'd read these forums and just knew it was coming.

And what a glorious departure she made. I was on the Poplar Street Bridge crossing into Illinois from St. Louis last Wednesday night when it went down. There was an awful racket and then the only sound I heard was that of other vehicles honking and blowing by me. Managed to coast off the bridge onto the Rte 3 South exit ramp where momentum died, and I was able to walk to a gas station to borrow a phone book. Luckily, the tow guy and I beat IDOT back to the scene just as they were about to hookup one of their "cherry pickers" to drag it away. Technically, I was in a lane of traffic, so they had every right to clear the way as quickly as possible.

Anyway, long time lurker and first time poster. I've read these forums since '03, when I was originally researching the VX and recognize a lot of names from way back then. I'm undecided as to what is to become of the corpse, but I'll keep ya'll informed.

Y33TREKker
05/15/2008, 08:14 AM
:eek: From what I've heard of that area of STL (and at night to boot), it sounds like you're lucky it was only your engine that died. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the recent expiration date. I know a couple of guys in the STL area who might be able to help you locate a used replacement motor in the areas' salvage yards if that's what you decide to do. I'd be glad to make a couple of phone calls to ask for their suggestions. They generally specialize in Ford and Mazda products, but they might be willing to make an exception in this case.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to get their input.

bohunk
06/24/2008, 02:12 PM
i ran across this on ebay $3000 for a 3.5. hope it helps
http://stores.ebay.com/ENGINES-DIRECT

Mechanic08
06/24/2008, 07:25 PM
well i gota 99 wit over 140 on it and as far as i know its never had engine problems

woody
06/25/2008, 07:24 AM
I absolutely love my '99. I have almost 90K on it with no issues except it seems to lose oil somewhere...no spots or drips have been detected. I drove to memphis a few weeks ago and while there checked my oil. 4 quarts low!!! I had an oil change 3000 miles prior...I didn't have any over heating issues or knocking...
I'm not burning it...no exhaust smoke...anyone else having that issue??

mrtew
06/25/2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah everybody's VX burns oil! I set my cellphone alarm to remind me to check it every week. I usually add a half a quart every three or four weeks. I can't believe that you got away with running 4 quarts low!!!! Supposedly it only holds 4.3 quarts (4 litres) total!!! I'm sure glad you didn't end up posting here with THE bad news, although it seems that the blown engine problem is pretty rare and is caused by extremely sudden loss of oil, not the normal slow burn.

Thmstec
06/25/2008, 04:51 PM
Woody, the next day after I got mine the check engine light came on, so I went out and checked the oil- I must've been running on NOTHING, added 4.5 quarts and its been fine ever since except for an O2 sensor (knock on wood).

Thmstec
06/26/2008, 08:58 AM
its been fine ever since except for an O2 sensor (knock on wood)
:_brickwal just my luck, it would be breaking down hours after that statement...

Scott Harness
06/26/2008, 09:17 AM
I've got 113,000 miles. It did burn a quart every 1000 miles, for the last 4 years. Now it seems to be a quart every 500 miles. I need to start looking for a new motor:( I did see the motor thread the other day.

Anita
06/26/2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah everybody's VX burns oil!

Au contraire! I have 98K on my truck and it has never needed oil between changes. At least - not yet! :rolleyes:

I've been pushing on the dealership where my mechanic is to have another VX meet there and have some kind of workshop on the care and feeding of the VX. I dont replace the PCV valve every oil change as many do, Im not a mechanic in any stretch of the imagination, the truck only gets her regularly scheduled oil changes and manufacturers suggested services. If my mechanic is waving a magic wand and making all better, I dont know about it.

When I hear of all the owners who have the oil problem, I wonder if something happened or didnt happen in the early years of those VX's that would set it to be an oil burner down the line - and can it be reversed.

Are there any other owners out there who dont have to add oil between oil changes? Has anyone had the problem but found a way to cure it?

Cobrajet
06/26/2008, 04:44 PM
Are there any other owners out there who dont have to add oil between oil changes? Has anyone had the problem but found a way to cure it?
I've got 112,000 miles on my one-owner VX and NEVER have to add oil. Like Anita, I have performed all regular oil/filter changes, and have had each major service done by the dealer on schedule. Mobil1 since the first oil change, and Mobil1 filters. I've never changed the PCV valve, but assume the dealer has. I don't exactly "baby" my VX, but I don't flog it ALL the time either. I think it has something to do with the fact that my VX has been garaged both at work and at home since new, and was not subjected to weather extremes - sitting outside during hot summers and rough winters. Keep it clean, inside and out.

woody
06/27/2008, 09:35 AM
I have a number of vehicles, 72 BMW 3.0 , Hummer H1, 59 bug, F250 deisel...And have had a host of others, yet never run into this problem. I cna't smell or visually see any smoke, even when I stand on it.
VW's all mark their territory, my BMW motor with 110 miles on it is just getting broken in and doesn't leak or burn a drop.
I'm glad to see others are having this strange issue.
I'll just set my cell phone to remind me and or check it every thousand miles...
Cheers All!!

mrtew
06/27/2008, 11:31 AM
:_brickwal just my luck, it would be breaking down hours after that statement...

I sure hope that's some kind of horribly unfunny joke!

Zorak
06/27/2008, 01:36 PM
I sure hope that's some kind of horribly unfunny joke!

uhm, no.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13756

Collin
01/02/2009, 06:38 PM
My brother has 2ea. 1999 and 2000. The 2000 with 89,000 miles he bought off e-bay in 2006 for $13,000 shipped and drove it for 6 months before the rod knock. Went to check oil and there was none. Did have Mobil 1 in it before. Took it to the shop and the mechanic found the crank done with #3 main bearing gone. He said for about $6,000 he could get it back on the road. So went back to e-bay and found a 1999 with 90,000 miles for $6,200. Flew there and drove it back (400 miles). Next day put tires and had the oil changed with Mobil 1. Drove 2 weeks and yesterday got the knock with the check engine light on. Stopped and check the oil and nothing on the stick. Filled with oil and still have the knock and is getting louder. Now he has 2 blown motors Vehicross's. I (his brother,He does not have Internet) am a mechanic have never seen such crappy motors. If you have to add oil when you fill up with gas,you need to go buy something else. I see other people that have no problems? Did my brother just happened to get 2 turds? The 2000 would smoke a very little when would take off. But the 1999 would not smoke even if you would nail it on take off. There is a motor builder on e-bay that sells a longblock for $3,200 shipped to your door. I plan on calling them to see what upgrades they have done to help with the oiling problems. I will post to inform everyone when he does the repair. These SUV look cool and there was not that many made. Ilike them and he loves them, but to me there not worth the trouble.

Brian Drinks
01/05/2009, 10:49 AM
I have a 99 with a 131,213 miles on it with no problems,i change the oil every 3k miles with castrol high milege oil and the pcv,and purlator oil filter.

tom4bren
01/05/2009, 12:44 PM
I'm with Anita & CobraJet. Mine uses no oil between changes.

LittleBeast
01/05/2009, 01:07 PM
I'm with Anita & CobraJet. Mine uses no oil between changes.

Right there with you, everyone here has scared me enough to always check, but my VX does not really burn oil.

tom4bren
01/05/2009, 01:13 PM
"Right there with you, everyone here has scared me enough to always check, but my VX does not really burn oil."

Me too. At every fill up, I get on my knees in front of the VX. Everyone thinks I'm praying that it'll never break down. I'm really checking CV boots & looking for oil leaks.

primvx
03/18/2009, 08:02 AM
99,ebony, 114,000..spun rod bearing on no.1 piston..motor loved oil and also coolant seemed to go down at a slow rate...no leaks or over heating. bought at 86,000 miles and has done it all the time i have owned it..motor had lots of buildup in the sump..and i was dilligent about changing oil...time for new crank and rings:(

mrtew
03/18/2009, 07:41 PM
Major bummer dude. Let us know how much $ it costs.

gumby
05/21/2009, 08:08 AM
My 2001 Vehicross (I am the original owner so I know I never beat on the vehicle) engine went out at 75k miles. It was explained to me that this was a very common problem due to the cylinders becoming elliptical from wear due to bad metallurgy.

I was pretty pissed, but what can I do? A modern engine should not be having problems like these. The kicker is that when I went in for it, they recommended that I change the intake gaskets even though they have never failed. Which seemed weird, but I agreed because he was so adamant about it. Now since then the gasket has failed 3 times. So my advice on that one is never do something that hasn't failed just because it is a recall or under warranty. (unless it's a safety problem)

So now I am wondering how long until the new piston and rings do the same thing... grrrrrrr

TheGanzman
05/22/2009, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=mrtew;130349]Yeah everybody's VX burns oil! I set my cellphone alarm to remind me to check it every week. I usually add a half a quart every three or four weeks.[QUOTE]

Not so! I've driven mine 2 months/2,500 miles so far - hasn't used ONE DROP of oil! Bought from the original owner, who confirmed that it never used any oil for him either at 58K miles. I've also spoken to other VX owners whose VX's show no oil consumption - there ARE some "lucky souls" out there!:)

Bantan
06/01/2009, 08:24 AM
Prefer to keep her, but I don't have the funds to buy a new engine for $6k so:

Do I buy a rebuilt engine for $4k?

Get a used 01 Axiom engine for $3k with 50k miles on it and risk having the same problem?

Or, doing an engine swap?

If so, which engine would be most compatible with the least amount of modification, and has anyone been successful in doing this?

Petos
06/01/2009, 10:29 AM
The engine on my '99 Ironman died at 75k... although i am the 4th owner and cannot trust the odometer :)
Anyway, my budget here in Russia was $6k, and included crankshaft replacement and cylinder heads repair... no oil burn since... though i only put 1k on her so far... :)

Gussie2000
06/01/2009, 11:13 AM
I changed my oil at 48569 about 6 weeks ago & right now my odo reads 49890

Since then I added almost one quart;I change my oil every 3500 miles using 0W-30
According to isuzu one quart of oil every 1000 miles is ok for this engine.
That statement is completly insane & they give this ridiculous stat due the huge amount of complains about their 3.5L instead of recalling all vehicules presenting this issue.
I always wonder why isuzu spent so much into designing such vehicule just to dump in a junkie engine like this instead of also designing a unique engine with more horse power & less issues

Joe_Black
06/01/2009, 12:18 PM
Gussie, from whom in Isuzu did you get that info?

Y33TREKker
06/01/2009, 03:37 PM
According to isuzu one quart of oil every 1000 miles is ok for this engine.

Are you kidding? I've read quite a few statements on this very website from VX owners who were told something similar by their local Isuzu service managers when said owners were inquiring about what seemed to be excessive oil consumption in their relatively low-mileage VX's.

Gussie2000
06/01/2009, 04:38 PM

Right over the net Joe.

I know it sounds crazy,that's why i believe it's insane :mad:

Joe_Black
06/01/2009, 05:31 PM
Over the net? Linky please.

Gussie2000
06/01/2009, 07:34 PM
Over the net? Linky please.

Hi joe.

You can check planetisuzu.com for details,even a guy went to court about the oil issue & wont the case agains isuzu who had to replace the trooper.

I can't recall the website at this time,sorry :o

deermagnet
06/01/2009, 08:43 PM
This is how an Isuzu shop would check for excessive oil consumption-

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx3/isuzuoil.gif
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx3/isuzuoil2.gif

Mark Griffin

mrtew
06/02/2009, 03:41 AM
That's pretty clear.

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 04:53 AM
That's pretty clear.

Thank you mark !

Joe_Black
06/02/2009, 05:45 AM
Ah, "depending on driving conditions". Thanks DM! :bwgy:

Y33TREKker
06/02/2009, 07:35 AM
So I guess all those people who weren't entering their VX's in rally crosses every weekend, towing 40 ft. cabin cruisers, or traveling the autobahn, but still experiencing said excessive oil usage don't count? :_shrug:

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 07:40 AM

You may feel ease with this report,but for city driving conditions that amount of lossed oil still is a huge concern to think about.
Let's admitted guys !
Isuzu F..... us all

Bantan
06/02/2009, 02:50 PM
Yes we got screwed. I was told by an Isuzu mechanic that the front cylinders on this particular engine don't get enough lubrication. I know of 2 other VX owners in my area who are not on this site who had the engine failure. Imagine the countless numbers of VX owners with this problem who have not answered this poll.

I've decided that it does not make sense to waste money on the same engine.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that can install a better more reliable engine in my VX?
Also, what other engines would fit in the VX?

I really don't want to part with my VX.

Joe_Black
06/02/2009, 02:50 PM
You may feel ease with this report,but for city driving conditions that amount of lossed oil still is a huge concern to think about.
Let's admitted guys !
Isuzu F..... us all
I give! :rolleyes: Just means more cheap crap VX's for folk like me who don't know any better. :bgwo:

Joe_Black
06/02/2009, 02:54 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that can put a different engine in my VX?

Get on over to the Planet Isuzu forums and start asking about the Vortec V6 as that used to be a popular replacement for that crap Firebird V6 that was in the early Troopers. It's likely still a viable replacement especially with the 4L30E meaning off-the-shelf bellhousings. Good luck!

hyperkid
06/02/2009, 03:02 PM
My engine just died. Rod bearings. 2000 Proton w/135k

:mad:

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 03:50 PM
Yes we got screwed. I was told by an Isuzu mechanic that the front cylinders on this particular engine don't get enough lubrication. I know of 2 other VX owners in my area who are not on this site who had the engine failure. Imagine the countless numbers of VX owners with this problem who have not answered this poll.

I've decided that it does not make sense to waste money on the same engine.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that can install a better more reliable engine in my VX?
Also, what other engines would fit in the VX?

The 2002 axiom's engine is a good way to go,you'll need ECM software upgrade & new wiring beside few other stuff

Y33TREKker
06/02/2009, 04:57 PM
Did Isuzu ever offer anything along the lines of a high-flow/performance oil pump that could be used as a preventative measure, or would the apparently ill-thought-out design of the oil passages in this engine render the increased capacities useless anyway?

Joe_Black
06/02/2009, 05:50 PM
The 2002 axiom's engine is a good way to go,you'll need ECM software upgrade & new wiring beside few other stuff
Okay, wait a minute, first you condemn the 6VE1 then you recommend the 6VE1?

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 06:13 PM
Okay, wait a minute, first you condemn the 6VE1 then you recommend the 6VE1?

You got to remember that the 2002 engine was redesigned,it's a better engine though,at least has more power & no oil burning issues.

So by comparison i'll recommend the new 6VEI

Joe_Black
06/02/2009, 07:31 PM
You got to remember that the 2002 engine was redesigned,it's a better engine though,at least has more power & no oil burning issues.

So by comparison i'll recommend the new 6VEI
That would be the 2004 Direct Injection engine, the only difference with the '02 mill is throttle-by-wire. As a matter of fact the Direct Injection engine is still the much-maligned 6VE1 with a different intake and heads. Also of interest is that the 6VE1 is still in production and one of Isuzu's best selling gasoline engines. Of course just the one's used in the VehiCROSS are crap, since they must have all been built on the 13th of each new-moon calendar month after the factory's fertility festival binge-drinking contest. :rolleyes:

Okay, okay... I, Joe Black, promise the never look at this thread again. I also promise to restrain myself, to the best of my individual ability, from commenting on threads or posts purporting the supposed infirmity of the 6VE1. Really. Cross my wrenches and all that rot.

Gussie2000
06/02/2009, 07:37 PM
That would be the 2004 Direct Injection engine, the only difference with the '02 mill is throttle-by-wire. As a matter of fact the Direct Injection engine is still the much-maligned 6VE1 with a different intake and heads. Also of interest is that the 6VE1 is still in production and one of Isuzu's best selling gasoline engines. Of course just the one's used in the VehiCROSS are crap, since they must have all been built on the 13th of each new-moon calendar month after the factory's fertility festival binge-drinking contest. :rolleyes:

Okay, okay... I, Joe Black, promise the never look at this thread again. I also promise to restrain myself, to the best of my individual ability, from commenting on threads or posts purporting the supposed infirmity of the 6VE1. Really. Cross my wrenches and all that rot.

Amen ! :p

johnny010
06/02/2009, 07:42 PM
I'm not happy to read about all of these engine problems. I've owned rare vehicles before, and you expect window issues, quirks here and there, but I agree, a modern motor shouldn't be having an oil flow design flaw.

I'm in for figuring out which motor is best to replace ours with. Does anyone have a list of all that is needed to swap in the 2004 Axiom engine (which are becoming more rare as we discuss this issue).

Ldub
06/02/2009, 08:46 PM
I'm not happy to read about all of these engine problems. I've owned rare vehicles before, and you expect window issues, quirks here and there, but I agree, a modern motor shouldn't be having an oil flow design flaw.

I'm in for figuring out which motor is best to replace ours with. Does anyone have a list of all that is needed to swap in the 2004 Axiom engine (which are becoming more rare as we discuss this issue).

Using about one minute of my time, & the search function, I found this...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=axiom

boondocksaint
01/04/2010, 12:07 PM
Can someone describe the rod knock sound for me? I have a sound that reminds me of an exhaust leak, but I can only hear it INSIDE the cabin. The motor makes no such noise with the hood up. Also, the motor noise is very loud (like the sound of air blasting out of it) when at throttle. This is another thing that makes me believe there is an exhaust leak.

I just drove it 850 miles. I'll be checking the oil before I leave my office in a few hours. Wish me luck.

Y33TREKker
01/04/2010, 03:44 PM
Can someone describe the rod knock sound for me? I have a sound that reminds me of an exhaust leak, but I can only hear it INSIDE the cabin. The motor makes no such noise with the hood up. Also, the motor noise is very loud (like the sound of air blasting out of it) when at throttle. This is another thing that makes me believe there is an exhaust leak.
Might be that your EGR nut has come loose. The EGR valve is between the intake manifold and the firewall, and the nut threads UP into the bottom of the valve. There have even been cases where it's come all the way out of it's threads and has been found just spinning at the bottom of the EGR tube.

(Similarities from another thread) http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=201&highlight=egr+nut

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago, resulting in a "dieseling" sound during acceleration. If that's the case, a simple re-tightening of the nut with a 22mm wrench should do the trick. At the time, I also applied some anti-sieze to the threads before tightening, and while I can't say for sure that the anti-sieze helped it stay tight, I do know that it hasn't happened again.

ibmx2
01/04/2010, 07:29 PM
are these failures do to starvation from gunk build up ?
if so has anyone tried the A.T.F. trick

boondocksaint
01/05/2010, 05:36 AM
Might be that your EGR nut has come loose. The EGR valve is between the intake manifold and the firewall, and the nut threads UP into the bottom of the valve. There have even been cases where it's come all the way out of it's threads and has been found just spinning at the bottom of the EGR tube.

(Similarities from another thread) http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=201&highlight=egr+nut

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago, resulting in a "dieseling" sound during acceleration. If that's the case, a simple re-tightening of the nut with a 22mm wrench should do the trick. At the time, I also applied some anti-sieze to the threads before tightening, and while I can't say for sure that the anti-sieze helped it stay tight, I do know that it hasn't happened again.

Much obliged. I'll check it as soon as I can. It was about a quart low after about 1000 miles of driving. I know that's within spec to Isuzu, but not for me. I'll be replacing the PCV and EGR soon. Which part of the EGR tube should be replaced? I know there are two parts. I just don't know which one clogs. I've got my fingers crossed that this will eliminate the oil burning for a while.

Y33TREKker
01/05/2010, 09:28 AM
...I'll be replacing the PCV and EGR soon. Which part of the EGR tube should be replaced? I know there are two parts. I just don't know which one clogs. I've got my fingers crossed that this will eliminate the oil burning for a while.
The tube itself is generally what can become clogged, but it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced. It can be taken off and cleaned too.

While I didn't read through the entire thing, this thread has a link that probably includes about everything you would ever need to know about the EGR valve: removal and re-installation, cleaning, etc.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4549&highlight=egr+tube

boondocksaint
01/05/2010, 11:58 AM
The tube itself is generally what can become clogged, but it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced. It can be taken off and cleaned too.

While I didn't read through the entire thing, this thread has a link that probably includes about everything you would ever need to know about the EGR valve: removal and re-installation, cleaning, etc.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4549&highlight=egr+tube

Again, much obliged. I know little about these cars, but am not new to wrenching on cars overall. Had a Subaru Impreza WRX/STi for a few years and recently totaled my 99 E36 M3. Turning a wrench isn't new, but the first time doing things is still just as intimidating now as ever.

Y33TREKker
01/05/2010, 07:46 PM
The good news is that at least there's some room to work on these things if necessary, where compared to some cars today...uhm yeah...not so much. :_brickwal

Doesn't sound like you'll have any problems with this one, but even if you do, there's usually someone hanging out around here to provide a quick answer if you need it.

boondocksaint
01/06/2010, 03:01 PM
UPDATE: I do smell gas in my oil, but the oil is not thin and I can read it just fine (1000 miles of driving on this change, most of it a long highway trip at interstate speeds). Just a quart low. I added a quart this evening and will re-measure in the morning before work.

The EGR should be here Friday and the plan is to swap it and the PCV this weekend (Sunday). I'll clean out the tubes as well.

boondocksaint
01/11/2010, 10:22 AM
UPDATE: EGR was fine, so I did not swap it. PCV was slightly clogged. Replaced it. Cleaned the MAF. Cleaned the throttle body, changed the rear diff fluid. Also discovered that the fan clutch is toast. No one local had one. I can source one from car-stuff.com for ~$60, but I need to wait. Believe it or not, I might be selling it today. Already informed prospective owner of fan clutch, etc. :lol:

Oh, and why the Hell did my driver's side window regulator suddenly stop working? It was working down South a week and a half ago. Does the cold do this, or did it just crap out?

circmand
01/22/2010, 09:42 PM
I looked all over and could not find the link to start a new thread. So I saw this link that may be of interewst to those who had engine failure
http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=681&gclid=CI2tvN7kuZ8CFRwUawodbjSE0g

Looks like a lawyer looking to build a class action law suit for defective 3.2 and 3.5 engines

Med!c
03/10/2010, 10:30 AM
Too bad Isuzu had a recall. A lot of people simply didnt take advantage and didnt get their engines replaced. As soon as the warranty on current Isuzus run out Isuzu is gone for good. Which means no more new parts. Not that anyone buys them, and much exist to begin with. lol. Especially for these VX.

deermagnet
03/10/2010, 01:20 PM
Too bad Isuzu had a recall. A lot of people simply didnt take advantage and didnt get their engines replaced.

What a minute. There's been no recall or lawsuit. A law firm is investigating the possibility of a class action lawsuit. It may or may not happen. Nothing has changed for now. A failed engine will hopefully get replaced under warranty. Out of warranty, out of luck, just like any engine and any auto maker.

Mark

Farfri
10/12/2010, 07:38 PM
Well folks, I know I haven't posted here much...(at all) But I've read the forum and your tips were helpful on many ocasions.
Driving home from work on the PA turnpike Friday the oil light came on and stayed on (I know I should have pulled off and dumped oil in, but I didn't) I had plans to change the oil on sunday, honest.
Well, Engine started knocking and, not being familiar with that particular noise I didn't imediatly shut her down.
She stopped running and I made it to an emergency pull off and as soon as I identified that I was out of my depth I sumoned a service truck.
An hour later they showed up.
thirty minutes after that a flatbed showed up.
An hour and $90 later we pulled into a former isuzu dealer. I made the decision to leave her there as that would be the most likely place to get parts.
I spoke with the folks there and asked them to do a diognostic.
They did and report that she needs a new engine for $8900 + labor.

I'm not sure where we are going from here...but I think my time as a VehiCross owner is very limited.

99 Astral 105k miles (I think)

mrtew
10/12/2010, 08:43 PM
wow bummer that totally sucks! Let us know if you figure out a better option in case it happens to another one.

Spike
10/13/2010, 08:49 AM

I'm not sure where we are going from here...but I think my time as a VehiCross owner is very limited.

Wow, thats gotta hurt. I have only about 50k on my 83k VX

I think turning it off when you first heard the knock, would have still probably been too late.

Is the 8900 for a short block or long block?

Gussie2000
10/13/2010, 01:08 PM
Sorry but $ 10 k (I'm including the labor) is just not worth to do at a dealer.

You can purchase an remanufactured engine for half the amount the stealership is charging.

These engines aren't worth to be purchase new,they jusy not reliable because even brand-new you must still keep tabs on the oil compsumtion.

Triathlete
10/13/2010, 02:19 PM
Hell, for $8900 you could bid on that supercharged VX, swap the motor and have a ton of extra goodies and spare parts!:bwgy:

Farfri
10/13/2010, 03:24 PM
Wow, thats gotta hurt. I have only about 50k on my 83k VX

I think turning it off when you first heard the knock, would have still probably been too late.

Is the 8900 for a short block or long block?

I honestly don't know. he said the price and I moved on.
Out of curiosity what is the difference between the short and long block?
I found this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Trooper-Rodeo-Vehicross-3-2L-REMAN-Engine-6VD1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c159d91cfQQitemZ12062 1732303QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_2699wt_939) on ebay wonder if it would work...still not sure what I'm doing.

circmand
10/13/2010, 03:37 PM
I honestly don't know. he said the price and I moved on.
Out of curiosity what is the difference between the short and long block?
I found this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Trooper-Rodeo-Vehicross-3-2L-REMAN-Engine-6VD1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c159d91cfQQitemZ12062 1732303QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_2699wt_939) on ebay wonder if it would work...still not sure what I'm doing.

I would contact them though and see if tehy have a 3.5

Farfri
10/21/2010, 01:19 AM
Alright, well, it looks like the stealership is gonna give me a grand for her. I hate to see my baby go, but given the givens it is probably for the best.
My only advice, is advice I've read elsewhere.
CHECK THE OIL every time you fill the gas tank.
I only wish I'd read that earlier.

Anyhow, Take care VXers.

mrtew
10/21/2010, 03:50 AM
Yep I set my phone's alarm to check my oil every week and add oil probably every other. I would like to have my VX forever. Sure am sorry to hear about your loss :-[

vt_maverick
10/21/2010, 07:33 AM
Well folks, I know I haven't posted here much...(at all) But I've read the forum and your tips were helpful on many ocasions.
Driving home from work on the PA turnpike Friday the oil light came on and stayed on (I know I should have pulled off and dumped oil in, but I didn't) I had plans to change the oil on sunday, honest.
Well, Engine started knocking and, not being familiar with that particular noise I didn't imediatly shut her down.
She stopped running and I made it to an emergency pull off and as soon as I identified that I was out of my depth I sumoned a service truck.
An hour later they showed up.
thirty minutes after that a flatbed showed up.
An hour and $90 later we pulled into a former isuzu dealer. I made the decision to leave her there as that would be the most likely place to get parts.
I spoke with the folks there and asked them to do a diognostic.

$8900 PLUS LABOR? You'd still be getting raped for $8900 including labor. Find another shop ASAP!

phines
10/21/2010, 08:54 AM
I just got quoted $7150 for the repair on mine. That included parts and labor. The engine comes with a 3-year, unlimited miles warranty too, which is pretty sweet.

phines
10/21/2010, 08:56 AM
For $8900 plus labor, they are obviously quoting all new parts from Isuzu. That's definitely not the way to go...

vt_maverick
10/21/2010, 09:12 AM
I'll have to ask my Dad what his shop charges to do this. I thought he said a replacement engine from Jasper was only like $4K, so it's hard to believe you'd have another $3K in labor on top of that. Of course his shop is in rural North Carolina where labor rates are not nearly as high...

Buffy
10/21/2010, 09:13 AM
Alright, well, it looks like the stealership is gonna give me a grand for her. I hate to see my baby go, but given the givens it is probably for the best.
My only advice, is advice I've read elsewhere.
CHECK THE OIL every time you fill the gas tank.
I only wish I'd read that earlier.

Anyhow, Take care VXers.

Somebody around here would give you a grand for it. If I wasn't up to my eyes in a rebuild I would come get it from ya.

vt_maverick
10/21/2010, 09:15 AM
Somebody around here would give you a grand for it. If I wasn't up to my eyes in a rebuild I would come get it from ya.

No kidding. You could probably part it out for that much. Don't suppose you have any mods on it do you? :naughty:

phines
10/21/2010, 09:33 AM
I'll have to ask my Dad what his shop charges to do this. I thought he said a replacement engine from Jasper was only like $4K, so it's hard to believe you'd have another $3K in labor on top of that. Of course his shop is in rural North Carolina where labor rates are not nearly as high...

Yeah, the labor is only $1730 (high, but not horrible). The engine and all related parts came in around $4800. The rest of the cost was tax and towing. I can definitely do all of this much cheaper back in VA, but if insurance is covering it, I'll let them handle it.

Junster
02/12/2011, 05:39 PM
Just an extra 2cents. Besides the fact that reading this thread has seriously bummed me out about buying a VX. A failure of 600 in 6000 is 10% not 1%.

vt_maverick
02/12/2011, 05:44 PM
Make yourself feel better by comparing the replacement costs against buying a brand new car for $30K+. :)

Don't get discouraged!

mrtew
02/12/2011, 07:16 PM
Just an extra 2cents. Besides the fact that reading this thread has seriously bummed me out about buying a VX. A failure of 600 in 6000 is 10% not 1%.

Where did you get the 600 number?

vt_maverick
02/12/2011, 07:22 PM
He's quoting you:

The failures are horrible and everytime someone posts here I get that "there but for the grace of God, go I" feeling, but so far this thread documents 38/6000 of VX engines going bye-bye. Obviously there must be some that didn't get posted here, but a 1% failure rate would be over 600 engines. It looks like we have somewhere between a one-in-a-hundred and one-in-a-thousand chance of problems with a VX which is not enough to justify either that feeling of dread that I get when my oil is a touch low or brown, or the feeling that others get that maybe they shouldn't buy a used one. Right? What are the figures for other cars?

mrtew
02/13/2011, 09:40 AM
He's quoting you:

Whew! I thought he was quoting an actual engine failure statistic, not my own reverse bad math from 4 years ago.

Scott Larson
02/13/2011, 04:27 PM
It's a good thing that I'm a "Doubting Thomas", ( Well, make that a "Suspicious Scott." )
'cuz if I would have believed everything I heard about the VX, I wouldn't be the happy owner of one now! Hell, I've got a '98 Explorer with 150,000 miles on it (The same as my VX, by the way.) and it was supposed to blow up a loooooong time ago!!

Junster
02/13/2011, 05:32 PM
Obviously there must be some that didn't get posted here, but a 1% failure rate would be over 600 engines.

From you, Sry just a little anal about math.

I'm still sold on buying a VX btw. All cars have some failures, one thing I noticed if it's true, hard to tell from just pics. Does the PCV valve lay on it's side? They need to be straight up to really work right. Also are there really no rocker arms? I'm curious how the cams actuate the valves. And how you adjust the valves. Has anyone just put the 02 oil rings on the 99-01 pistons? This oil usage thing has me curious. Isuzu is know for good quality engines generally.

VX KAT
02/13/2011, 09:30 PM
Does the PCV valve lay on it's side? They need to be straight up to really work right.

No, it's upright.

jhigareda
02/14/2011, 11:26 AM
Not complete failure though, but white smoke at initial start up. I took for engine done....

deermagnet
02/14/2011, 05:56 PM
Also are there really no rocker arms?
That's correct. We don't need no stinkin' rocker arms!

I'm curious how the cams actuate the valves.
Our camshafts are driven by internal idler gears instead of a chain. We also have a spring loaded sub-gear assembly that takes up the back lash in the gears to provide high-precision valve timing and reduced noise. Valve action is controlled through an inverted bucket type tappet that rides against the camshaft lobe.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx4/valves.gif

And how you adjust the valves.
Valve adjustment is made by increasing or decreasing the thickness of the shim until the correct amount of valve clearance is obtained.

This is a very rare Isuzu Tech video I have for adjusting the valves, if ya really wanna see how it's done.

7:11, 14.1 mb, 320x240, wmv file-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/valvadj.wmv (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/valvadj.wmv)

I'm an original owner with 238,000 miles on my engine. The valves have never been adjusted. It purrs like a kitten and runs like a dream, so I never saw a reason to have that done.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

Junster
02/15/2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for a clear and detailed reply. It helped a lot. It's killing me trying to be patient cause I can't fund buying one for myself till March. I bookmarked and DL your link also.

hxdiaz
02/12/2012, 07:22 AM
I got a new engine under warranty at 111,000 miles.

My 2001 Vehicross, original owner, began overheating in summer of 2009. A new radiator and other work for about $500 didn't solve the overheating. A second opinion quoted me $1500 for engine work, cant remember exactly what.

I had it towed an hour away to an authorized dealership for a third opinion. A couple days later they told me Isuzu authorized a new engine under warranty. I can't remember exactly what caused the engine to fail, but what great news. The drive train warranty of 10 years or 120,000 miles was one of the reasons I bought the Vehicross.

Now I see my Isuzu as an old man with a new heart. I now have about 25,000 miles on the new engine.

fildigger
02/25/2012, 11:24 AM
Hi, Was this relatively unacceptable engine failure issue just reserved for the 3.5 unit or did the JDM 3.2 V6 suffer the exact same problems??

And sorry if this sounds ignorant (New here!)...What was the exact cause of the main reason for engine failure and why is the engine prone to consuming excessive amounts of oil?

Picking my 1st VX up this coming Sat' (3rd march 2012) So would like to do as much preventative maintainance as possible while running the truck :yesy:

Thanks guys :thumbup:

VX KAT
02/25/2012, 12:19 PM
Hi, Was this relatively unacceptable engine failure issue just reserved for the 3.5 unit or did the JDM 3.2 V6 suffer the exact same problems??

And sorry if this sounds ignorant (New here!)...What was the exact cause of the main reason for engine failure and why is the engine prone to consuming excessive amounts of oil?

Picking my 1st VX up this coming Sat' (3rd march 2012) So would like to do as much preventative maintainance as possible while running the truck :yesy:

I can't recall if the 3.2s had this same issue???

But, here's some reading in this thread that'll give you lots more info on the topic, and discusses several possible "causes"...not sure any one theory has been solidly proven or not.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22034

fildigger
02/25/2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for that VX Kat...i did spot that thread while doing my intensive research on the Isuzu over the past few weeks...and it does seem uncertain to the reason for the engine 'Issues'.....

...i know from my JDM Subaru Sti and P1 (Prodrive) Subarus that the Japanese high performance engines were designed to run on 100 RON fuel (widely available in japan) and a lot of the Subaru STi fraternity over here in the UK got there cars re-mapped to run on the lower octane fuels over here (although it must be said that in recent years Shell V Power with a 99 RON rating is very popular with many high performance JDM owners using it religiously!!....I use it in my Forester STi)....

...Some of those that chose not to make allowances for the lower 95/97 ron that is the Regular fuel in the UK, did pay the price in the long term with catastrophic Engine failure! Usually in the form of big-end failure, with the shell bearings letting go!

Now, it appears to me that the JDM 3.2 V6 is designed to run on 99 Ron rated fuel...as above we have had the Shell V Power over here for some years (amongst a few other forecourts that now sell higher octane fuel)..

..So i shall certainly be running my VX on the best 99 Ron fuel i can get!

I would imagine the 3.5 was an engine specific for the US market, where lower grades of fuel are used....i wonder if Isuzu didn't quite get it right with the 3.5 and the result of 'Knock' eventually took it's toll on some of the engines????

Just a suggestion based on fuel related problems over here in the UK.

Paul_A
02/28/2012, 10:50 AM

Hey Phil,
I wouldn't worry too much mate. It's the exact same engine as the Frontera 3.2 (I haven't heard of too many of them failing) ...It's as reliable as any engine out there if it's looked after... Oil seems to be the main issue... just keep an eye on the level... and change it preferably before its due. ;) I also asked over on the Frontera owners group if anyone had an issue like this... I can't see anyone who has ...maybe it's just related to the 3.5?.... Were the U.S. models assembled in the U.S. or Japan?

fildigger
02/28/2012, 04:10 PM
Hey Phil,
I wouldn't worry too much mate. It's the exact same engine as the Frontera 3.2 (I haven't heard of too many of them failing) ...It's as reliable as any engine out there if it's looked after... Oil seems to be the main issue... just keep an eye on the level... and change it preferably before its due. ;) I also asked over on the Frontera owners group if anyone had an issue like this... I can't see anyone who has ...maybe it's just related to the 3.5?.... Were the U.S. models assembled in the U.S. or Japan?

Thanks for the reply Paul.. always had a lot of faith in JDM stuff (particularly the important bits!)...this is why i have had a fair bit of Japanese imported cars and was also a factor in choosing the VX!

Thanks again.

ps. do you run yours on the 99 ron fuel ? (V power, Tesco momentum)

Paul_A
02/29/2012, 01:01 AM
Hi Phil,
Yes, I do ... when I can afford it... Lol! Was lucky enough to get a whole load of bottles of stp fuel additive for free... which I use (and it does seem to work!) with the 97 ron fuel.
What I do when I do an oil change though (and I know it sounds "Old fashioned") is run "flushing oil" in there for 20 mins. Surprising how much more crud comes out!
A "magnetic" sump plug is a good investment.... cheap too!
Speaking to the guys on the Frontera forum no one seems to have suffered with rod bearing failure running the same 3.2 engine.In fact it seems to have something of a reputation as "Bullet proof." They do get similar problems with stuff like the intake gaskets etc though.
It seems the problem is far more prevalent with the 3.5 engines.
As they are basically the same engine just bored and stroked, I'm wondering if that extra stress is just a "little too much"........
Something I am looking into is whether the oil cooler may be a little bigger on the Frontera than the Vx... If it is... it might be a good preventative measure. :smilegray

89Vette
04/27/2012, 08:06 PM
same engine just bored and stroked, I'm wondering if that extra stress is just a "little too much"........

Seriously doubt that. The best theory I heard was the oil ring (aka ring land) on the stroked version set too close to smallish drain-back holes. This could cause gunk to build up over time, interfering with proper oil flow. I also think it was supposed to have been corrected in either 2001 or 2002. (not sure) If you look around here, you'll find a thread with a better explanation.

Either way, cleaning it like you mention could be one of the keys for longevity. Regular (frequent) oil changes might be a huge plus for this issue too.

Lots of people have blamed PVC valves here but I don't know that the 3.2's would have had a different one.

givegodachance
05/14/2012, 05:30 PM
my 99 has a knocking rod. 2nd motor and 86,000 miles. putting in 3.2

Gussie2000
05/14/2012, 06:32 PM
my 99 has a knocking rod. 2nd motor and 86,000 miles. putting in 3.2

Same thing with my VX,needs engine overhaul after 99.000

Cris
05/29/2012, 08:15 AM
200,000 and still running. No ticks knocks, no nothin, keeping regular service and treating my VX the rite way, never been off-road never been beat, 5 sets of tires 1transmition and that was my falt and a transfer case and come to find out that was not the problem. I still have people wondering who made the new crossover. I feel bad for you guys that beat the hell out of your VX and wonder why its broke. I new from the getgo this would be a collector. Oh by the way ,its as clean under the hood as it is inside.Take care of your VX's, they won't last long if you don't.

evillecutter
05/29/2012, 09:31 AM
ive thought quite a few times that some people's "engine failures" are almost always "operator failures" - almost every time you read on this site about someone's engine blowing their next sentance is "then i checked the oil - bone dry!?" that doesnt sound like engine failure to me that sounds like neglectful ownership

VX KAT
05/29/2012, 10:31 AM
ive thought quite a few times that some people's "engine failures" are almost always "operator failures" - almost every time you read on this site about someone's engine blowing their next sentance is "then i checked the oil - bone dry!?" that doesnt sound like engine failure to me that sounds like neglectful ownership

yeah, I've read that too, but I recall reading some (pbkid for example), where a very knowledgable/diligent owner checked their oil in the morning and by afternoon, engine blows, and oil is basically gone or really low....(Jack jump in here if I've stated this incorrectly)
That scenario scares the bejeezers out of me.....

VX KAT
05/29/2012, 11:24 AM
Ain't possible, oil doesn't just disappear...If it ain't smokin', it ain't leakin' and it ain't goin' into the cooling system, then it ain't gonna all-of-a-sudden-like just vanish!! (Unless of course you're using that "David Copperfield" oil...):laugho:

:_thinking isn't it possible when it vaporizes (my word) out the PCV valve? It isn't exactly leakin' or smokin'.....granted that's a ton of vaporizing to completely empty the crankcase.
Where's the oil I lost on my 1,000+ mile Moab trip?

Maybe some others will jump in here with their specific scenario on oil and engine failure. Jack???
Maybe I'm wrong on this....can somebody clarify or confirm? :thumbup:

pbkid
05/29/2012, 11:34 AM
:_thinking isn't it possible when it vaporizes (my word) out the PCV valve? It isn't exactly leakin' or smokin'.....granted that's a ton of vaporizing to completely empty the crankcase.
Where's the oil I lost on my 1,000+ mile Moab trip?

Maybe some others will jump in here with their specific scenario on oil and engine failure. Jack???
Maybe I'm wrong on this....can somebody clarify or confirm? :thumbup:
I really have no idea where my motor oil went when my engine dropped. But I was very diligent in checking my oil level every time I got gas.

The day my motor dropped, I was set to drive about 250 miles, so I topped her off before the trip, and half way home I got a tick, checked the fluid and it was about 1.5 quarts low. When I had filled it this morning??

I put another quart and a half in, and it started ticking 15 miles later, 2 more quarts down. Now something is definately wrong, call AAA and have it towed to my Isuzu guy. Get it there and it had a cracked rod bearing that couldnt be repaired or rebuilt. Took out a loan half the cost of the car and get it fixed, and sold when fixed, cant afford to do that again.

Now, it could have been blowing it all out the exhaust, but let me know how easy it is to see a little smoke in your rear view mirror of your VX. I cant even see a SEMI in my rear view mirror, much less a little smoke. Then factor in that it was dusk, and you dont stand a chance.

I've had people tell me that its not possible that I had no warning signs, but I consider myself a very observant person, and also car minded. So, take it as it is, but thats what happened to me.

vt_maverick
05/29/2012, 01:43 PM
If only they made something like this to add oil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJu2UCG0Pw

SlowPro48
06/01/2012, 07:48 AM
Probably the same place your posts are going. :bgwb:

Scott Larson
06/01/2012, 08:42 AM
Must be gettin' past the rings...:rotate:

SlowPro48
06/01/2012, 11:53 AM
...and burning up in the catalytic converter so the emissions can't be seen.... :razb2:

89Vette
06/26/2012, 08:00 PM
...and burning up in the catalytic converter so the emissions can't be seen.... :razb2:

Ummmmmm......... Not 2qts in 15m. You'd see that.

LeglizHemp
07/13/2012, 12:21 PM
my 01 just died 3 weeks ago, confirmed dead today when i drove it home. i almost didn't make it. 78k miles. original owner. yes i check the oil......it was dry out of the blue. oil light never came on until after the loud ticking started. not sure what i'm gonna do. that 5.3L V8 sounds good, wonder what it costs.

89Vette
07/25/2012, 08:14 PM
It would be nice if the failures provided add'l info. There are so many possibilities that may/may not aggravate a borderline engineering issue.

How often between changes?
What oil used?
Ever use Slick50 or other additives?
What climate?
Average length of trip?
Ever use engine cleaners between oil changes?
Ever use ZDDP enriched oils? (if so, how consisently)?
How hard driven?
How well serviced? (air filter changed the "right" amout -- more often if dusty)
Was oil ever underfilled by oil change service company? (I found one that showed 4.2 qts as the correct fill!)
Ever use top-end cleaner (like SeaFoam)?

There are so many variables!

mrtew
07/25/2012, 08:21 PM
my 01 just died 3 weeks ago, confirmed dead today when i drove it home. i almost didn't make it. 78k miles. original owner. yes i check the oil......it was dry out of the blue. oil light never came on until after the loud ticking started. not sure what i'm gonna do. that 5.3L V8 sounds good, wonder what it costs.

Such a bummer. What are you going to do? 78K really sucks. Hope you fix it soon. I got a super expensive tranny rebuild last fall and it was totally worth it to drive my VX again. Let us know!

Cdub
08/16/2012, 04:34 PM
Well my engine is blown in my '99 :(. Time to fix it up :D

VX KAT
08/16/2012, 05:42 PM
Well my engine is blown in my '99 :(. Time to fix it up :D

Dang, hate to hear this....
Can you give us DETAILS DETAILS ...?

Cdub
08/16/2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a rod is bent and pounding hard in the heart, I'm debating on what to do selling isn't a option for me. It really sounds like I was hot rodding it, I do keep up on the oil so its kinda strange that it went out like this. I do have a audio clip of it, I was gonna make a new thread getting ideas on what path I should go down.

vxpac
10/07/2013, 02:43 PM
hey gang-

another VX down w/ engine failure, but hopefully only temporarily. i had done a refill on the oil the previous week! can't go new replacement right now even if i found something i like as much (which i haven't).

so looking at getting a reman engine from promar in NJ. looking at about3k delivered + core return included. the dealer wants just over 7k for an isuzu reman! also need a new cat con. is ther' a list of parts that i should definitely replace while the engine's being done. i planning on replacing the h2o pump. any input greatly appreciated.

VX KAT
10/07/2013, 03:31 PM
hey gang-

another VX down w/ engine failure, but hopefully only temporarily. i had done a refill on the oil the previous week! can't go new replacement right now even if i found something i like as much (which i haven't).

so looking at getting a reman engine from promar in NJ. looking at about3k delivered + core return included. the dealer wants just over 7k for an isuzu reman! also need a new cat con. is ther' a list of parts that i should definitely replace while the engine's being done. i planning on replacing the h2o pump. any input greatly appreciated.

Details? Did the oil suddenly disappear? More details! :yeso:

vxpac
10/07/2013, 07:05 PM
oh you betcha' like a thirsty camel in the desert in the prior month. minimal loss in the driveway. i had a problem with a leak in the cat which was "repaired" + started to here the same sound which gradually became louder. the shop i had taken it to listened + told me that it would be okay right after i began to hear it again. he said no worries at that point, it gradually became louder + when driving it back to the shop, the sound became louder + more rattly. he told me after looking at it that indeed the cat need to be replaced but the loud rattle was actually a thrown rod. some how i'm feeling less than pleased with this former isuzu tech. but that's the story!

falknvx
02/02/2014, 01:10 PM
It's for sale.
Cam failure. It still ran. Showed miss fire #6 ran like s@@t. Had to drive home 100 miles. It made it. Where did all that metal go?
Not sure of the future. Would love a diesel in that rig.

Thelgord
01/20/2018, 03:31 PM
Well damn ...

mrtew
02/05/2018, 04:19 AM
Well damn ...

What happened!?!?!?!

Jordan
12/31/2019, 07:37 PM
01 with 170k started to knock and the engine shutdown after a few seconds from the start of the knock. Just started to tear it down. Hopefully I can save it.

jimmyray
03/31/2022, 07:16 AM
Hi All, i have read this entire thread looking for more posts innorder to figure out what is happening with these engines. I own two Vehicross both 99’s . The engine in my daily driver i rebuilt personally about three years ago out of a 6VD1 Rodeo block which i turned into a 3.5L by installing a. ew crank and shorter pistons as thats the difference between 3.2 and 3.5 L aside from knock sensor tapped hole location in the top of the block. i have noticed that it does use about a litre of oil every 1000 miles. Running 5w30 full synthetic and high performance oil filter. I had installed a catch can and filter on the pcv line for about a half a year and then removed it because it made no difference. Change oil at 3000 miles but its always fairly clean as i am always adding new. The engine in this vehicross was blown when i got it. Rod failure … number 1 i think.. have to check my pics.