PDA

View Full Version : 110 Octane?!!

Medman
04/06/2004, 06:00 PM
Hey VX Nation!

I was driving on a desolate highway in CT, in need to fill my gas tank, so I wasn't picky about my choice of gas stations. I see this old, run-down Sunocco station with the old style pumps, no pay-at-the-pump, etc. I start pumping my gas, when I look across from my island and see a lone gas pump that touted a very rare 110 Octane-Sunocco's special "Race fuel"-at a price of $7 a gallon!
What is so special about this higher octane? A full tank of gas would cost us $150!! What in the world could possibly justify $150 for a single tank? All you performance guru's, please educate me!!

VCAMILO
04/06/2004, 06:08 PM
;Db; My buddy always used it on his Racing motorcycle. :rolleyes: It will probably help you pass emissions with flying colors. ;Db; But I think it just burns at a different rate. tick tick tick tick boom! ;eekp; instead of tick boom! LOL! Im back to happy hour @ work.

VehiCrazy
04/07/2004, 02:02 PM
octane number is the amount of the hydrocarbon Octane the fuel contains. The higher the octane number, the more you can compress it before it spontaneously ignites. When you run a low octane fuel on a high-compression engine, the compression can ignite the fuel/air mixture before the spark gets a chance to. This is what is commonly called "knocking" (= bad!), which leads to piston and valve damage. So when you have a high-compression engine, you need to seek out these rare fuels or mix your own in order to prevent damage to your engine. Plus, they smell real good when they burn (I think so at least). It is just another facet of "if you wanna play, you gotta pay, speed is expensive, how fast do you want to go??"

WormGod
04/07/2004, 06:07 PM
Good old Cam2. Used to use that in my racing bike. Hardly public road legal but damn it smells good when it burns off. ;)

Daver
04/10/2004, 04:12 PM
Hmm. I haven't really seriously considered putting higher octane gas in my car until now. It says premium, so I give it that, but I hadn't really thought to track down one of those Sunoco stations.

My car has an 11.5:1 compression ratio. But OTOH, the ECM is really configured for 91-93 octane gas anyway, so maybe it wouldn't know much what to do with 110.

-Daver

psychos2
04/10/2004, 04:21 PM
race fuel contains lead .cannot be run in unleaded cars. shawn

Hotsauce
04/10/2004, 04:33 PM
Sunoco 110 is Cam2 GT, unleaded. The regular Cam2 is 116 octane.

John C.

Y33TREKker
04/10/2004, 06:47 PM
I'd be concerned about the effects the 110 or 112 stuff would have on the catalytic converter. I'm thinking that even though some of it is still unleaded, it's chemical make-up would still have the same effect of burning the inards to pieces.

Eckstream
04/11/2004, 10:27 AM
WOW!!!!???!!! $7/ga for 110 is an awsome deal man... Wanna buy some for me and I could pick it up half way? JK The GT 110 here runs about $12.75/ga and the GT112 runs about $17/ga.... I used to run this gas in my camaro that had 12.9:1 compression and had no trouble with my cat.... In Pa they come with 7yr warrantee so I was never concerned about it

MZ-N10
04/11/2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by psychos2
race fuel contains lead .cannot be run in unleaded cars. shawn

im pretty sure tat any car can run higher octane.....but do u really want to spend the extra 5 bucks a gallon to get it, and maybe get worst proformance? unless u guys have some fullout race cars running extremely high boost or compression theres not really a need to run anything over premium, or ur just worried about detonation....
________
EFFECTS OF WELLBUTRIN (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)