PDA

View Full Version : Mileage "non"complaint

Ron Pfeiffer
04/05/2004, 01:19 PM
Hey all,

What with the complaints about the VX’s poor mileage, I thought I’d share a GOOD mileage bit. My wife and I went to northern NJ this last weekend; it was our first real trip in the VX, some 5 hours from Northern VA, and our first real jaunt with the new Nitto 285/60/18s. I managed 21 mpg highway (at about 75 mph)! Of course, mileage should have been ok according to the physics of bigger tires, but considering my usual mileage is about 16, I was pleased.

I really do hate letting somebody else fuel my car though (for those who don’t know, its illegal to pump your own gas in the Peoples’ Republic of New Jersey)

Next step, get a spoiler to quiet that @#Q%#$^ rack down . . .

Ron

WormGod
04/05/2004, 01:30 PM
Welcome to highway miles brother. Whenever I made a trip to Ocean City I managed at least 320 on a full tank. Of course, this city driving around DC I am lucky to manage 240 on a tank.

You really can't complain though ya know, cause if you do, it's in your power to trade your VX in for a more economical car. :D

Poor gas mileage and lovin' it! I think the VX is worth it.

VX_PA
04/05/2004, 01:36 PM
Nice and quiet!!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/747vxrack.jpg

USS Enterprise
04/05/2004, 01:40 PM
Actually Ron, Having our Gas pumped by a real live Gas Pumper is one of the God given rights we here in NJ cherish. Steve Martin didn't play one for nothing! There's nothing that frosts me more than having to get out of my car, figure out if I have to pay inside or out, pump before I pay or pay before I pump and still have to pay higher gas prices than most of our neighboring states.

Ron Pfeiffer
04/05/2004, 01:55 PM
Remember the days when we had a choice? Full or Self-Serve? I don't object so much to full service, its having it forced on me that drives me nuts. I kinda like to decide things for myself - I'm funny that way. You got a point though; in areas with self-serve, finding a full serve station can be next to impossible.

As for complaints, I wouldn't even if my VX got 4mpg! And since my old tub of a Chevy pickup was getting 8mpg (!) when I finally ditched it, 16 in the VX seems like heaven.

I used the whole ride up and back to try to convince my wife I needed the supercharger, but I don't think she bought it . . .:(

Ron

azskyrider
04/05/2004, 09:51 PM
In Mexico it is the other way around. Pemex does not allow you to put gas in your car. The attendant always does it. If you think gas is bad here... Gas has always been close to $4 there and now is even more. Most people with SUVs or Trucks do the Propane route and have been doing that for Years. For Ranchers it is a necessity since you extend your distance with Running Fuel and when you run out you switch to propane. I always wondered why it took so long for the U.S. (OEM , Law makers) to market trucks with natural Gas.

Cheers

kpaske
04/06/2004, 07:05 AM
What burns me worse than not being allowed to pump my own gas is those darn baggers at the grocery store... you know, the ones who work for "tips only"? I'd rather just carry my own stuff, thank you. And it's not the 16 year olds who get mad at you when you want to bag your own groceries, its the 50 year old Asian ladies who remember you the next time you come in and greet you with that sneer of disapproval. Get a real job, lady!

;eekb;

Tone
04/06/2004, 07:16 AM
Uh, mileage numbers may appear to improve with taller tires due to lower RPMs and great distance traveled with each revolution of the tire but realize the odometer is no longer accurate (nor the speedo which shows 6.4% too slow - 60 on the gauge is really 63.8mph). Power off the line will also suffer.

But then who really buys this vehicle for the mileage- either you enjoy driving it and pay what it costs or you shouldn’t own it!

Ron Pfeiffer
04/06/2004, 07:47 AM
Power off the line did indeed suffer with the Nittos. It wasn't much, but the "butt-dyno" did register it.
Conversely, engine works less hard "at speed", as you are moving farther for every revolution of the bigger tires. I've found that the less efficient take-offs versus the more efficient cruising have cancelled each other out, as my overall around-town mileage didn't change with the new meats.
As for mileage, you actually get *better* mileage than your odo shows, as it too is about 7% too slow (I paced off 50 miles using highway markers, compared that to my odo reading, 6.9% off). I made the adjustment when I crunched those numbers to get 21 mpg.
I was wondering if the less "on the ground" torque with the bigger meats might actually make it handle better on ice/snow, since its less likely to break loose upon initial acceleration? Guess I'll have to wait for next year to put that to the test . . .

And of course, in the end, its all academic . . . mileage? We don't need no stinkin' mileage!

Ron

Dallas4u
04/06/2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Tone
...who really buys this vehicle for the mileage- either you enjoy driving it and pay what it costs or you shouldn’t own it!

I agree with this, but to a point. I didn't know per tank gas mileage would be so bad in the VX. 3.5 years ago it didn't bother much as gas prices in the Dallas area were crazy low. Now, and especially in the west/NW, I'm being effected but higher gas prices more than ever. Am I going to sell the VX because of it, well, not right now... if it goes up to $3/gallon I may think about it!!! ;eekr;

WyrreJ
04/06/2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by kpaske
What burns me worse than not being allowed to pump my own gas is those darn baggers at the grocery store... you know, the ones who work for "tips only"? I'd rather just carry my own stuff, thank you. And it's not the 16 year olds who get mad at you when you want to bag your own groceries, its the 50 year old Asian ladies who remember you the next time you come in and greet you with that sneer of disapproval. Get a real job, lady!

Weird, I never heard of that. And I kinda lived in Everett for a few years too.