PDA

View Full Version : Transformers anyone?

WormGod
04/05/2004, 07:31 AM
My boss forwarded this to me today. Completely an enjoyable read and has some fun movs.

R50RD Robotic Car (http://www.r50rd.co.uk/research/internal/v2i/engin/)

johnnyapollo
04/05/2004, 11:23 AM
Fun stuff, but...

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/09/222227.shtml?tid=159&tid=186

-- John

jayfotos
04/05/2004, 04:44 PM
Still having a hard time believing this thing is real, I've seen stuff like this before done with CG and it looked great.

Not sure, could be bullcrap

azskyrider
04/05/2004, 08:49 PM
CGI to me... light shadow and sound does not match 100%. check out the foot steps.Good way to get funding! I think he is serious about it but a walking prototype I don't think so.

WormGod
04/06/2004, 12:17 PM
No, it is very unlikely that it is real at all, but man, those vids look just too cool. I love the one where it's stopping the Range Rover. ;)

nater
04/06/2004, 03:10 PM
It is both the coolest thing I have ever seen and a hoax.

Dead giveaway is the "car stopping" video; shadow for robot is COMPLETE opposite direction of car's shadow, even when the two are touching!

Also, in "Light Tracking in a dark environment" the guy's shadow goes the wrong way AND doesn't project onto the robot as he walks past it! If the area were flood-lit the shadow would disappear completely. If it weren't, the shadow would have projected onto the lower right leg of the robot. It is projected onto the floor under the robot as if the robot isn't there! This is evidence the robot is NOT there, it was definately drawn in with CGI.

Nate

BigJoe
04/06/2004, 09:30 PM
In the May issue of Motor Trend, there is a supposed excerpt from a book called 'Men of Metal' by Rowland Samuel where he is investigating strange occurences that have help motorists in peril (and saved by a huge robot - his final conclusion). He then shows some pictures. He references that robot site, but in the ecerpt, some of the words are exactly the same as the web site.

He also brings up a lot of isssues about how the Mini was over engineered. (supposedly this guy was part of the Mini's developement team)

I bet Motor Trend will say something about it in the next issue.

Looks cool though......

azskyrider
04/17/2004, 08:18 AM
People who never knew what a Mini was now do.

Hoax?

I say Advertizing.