PDA

View Full Version : Banging sound when turning

VX1
04/04/2004, 04:40 PM
Please allow me to run this by you VX doctors out there. I've done all the searches through the forums and manual and am quite stuck.

SYMPTOMS:
When I'm driving, and make a 90 degree turn either left or right, my VX makes a creaking/banging sound for a second. It occurs right in the middle of the turn and sounds to me like frame is twisting. It's usually about six or seven quick knocks lasting a second or so total. From the drivers seat, it's sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, but it's hard to discern where. My passenger though, says she can feel the vibration of the knocking on the floorboard under her feet (which is right around where the transmission assembly is).

At this point, there’s absolutely no negative symptoms except for the noise; everything is acting just as it should, no transmission trouble whatsoever. But of course, I fear one day, BAMM; I think it might be telling me that something’s no right. Last year I had a slight leak around the flywheel, but that stopped after I put in stop-leak in the engine & transmission and those fluid levels are fine. Front and rear axles also are good with fluid. What I haven’t done is change the TOD or transfer case oil, because the manual isn’t real clear about how to accomplish that.

I guess I’ll have to take it to a dealership (God help me), but was hoping some here had some insight.

Thanks- Scott

Triathlete
04/04/2004, 04:49 PM
If this is accuring during turns might want to check your CV's. Make sure the boots are not torn or leaking. CVs could be going bad. Hope not but something to check. Good luck!

Joe_Black
04/04/2004, 04:50 PM
Hey Scott! Is the sound occuring during real tight, slow turns? If so, may be either CV or diff binding. Not uncommon for the short-wheelbase vehicles.

Tone
04/04/2004, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a problem with the third member - is this occurring on flat ground or in driveways with a slope? Check the bolts holding the 3rd member to the frame on at least the passenger side.

SPAZZ
04/04/2004, 07:49 PM
wouldn't be in 4low and on dry ground...would it??? mine does that in 4low and on dry ground

VX1
04/05/2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys. No it’s definitely not in 4low, and I’ve checked every nut & bolt underneath it, and everything is super tight. It occurs anytime I turn and the weight of the car is applied to the passenger side axles, or turning the other way when the weight is lifted from that side. Looks like it’s the CVs, I found this article that describes the symptoms exactly:

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/axle_differential1.html

I appreciate you all leading me in that direction, because this is a serious problem. The sound is not all that bothersome, so if I had just dismissed it as just another noise I can live with, it eventually would have been disastrous.

Thx, thx, thx- Scott

Heraclid
04/05/2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, it isn't much fun when you lose a wheel. I know. My '95 Dodge Avenger had two notices go out for a recall on the ball joints because they could be defective and it could result in premature wear and eventual separation. Both times I took it in and they said it was fine. I'm sure they never even bothered to look. One day I'm cruising down the road at about 45 mph and the wheel falls off. Almost no warning at all - just a slight wiggle right before. Luckily the wheel stayed up in the wheel well and kept the front passenger side off the ground, and the car slid in a pretty straight line with no one else real close to me at the time. The only thing that was still connected was the brake line. The CV was history and the tie rod was bent like the letter "c". I'm glad I hadn't gone over the bridge to a local Best Buy like I almost had that day.... could've been doing about 70 instead of 45 in lots more traffic, and maybe with a nice tall bridge to possibly fly off of. Wouldn't be the first time it has happened out there.

PBR
04/05/2004, 04:27 PM
cv joint, the boot can look fine and you can still have a problem.

VX1
04/10/2004, 07:55 PM
I've got my VX back from the dealership. They said the CVs are fine. All they did was grease the axles and stuff and said it made it better. I don't think it's a whole lot better. I did notice a time it occurs when not turning. Leaving the gym parking lot, the street is lower than the parking lot and you enter the street at a 45 degree angle, so the steering wheel really isn't being turned but one front wheel is lower than the other, causing the noise, which again makes me think something's loose when the frame is twisted. Tone, would you be able to elaborate on where I would find the third member bolts?

On a separate note: Man, I think Isuzu is seriously about dead now. The dealership I took it to is a BMW/Porsche/VW/Audi/Subaru/Oldsmobile/Isuzu dealership. I dropped it off at their service department, but as it turns out, I dropped it off at the wrong place, because they had moved the Isuzu & Subaru across the street to a tiny little building that looks like it needs demolished, and the service department was a trailer. The new car showroom could only hold two cars; the only Isuzu was the Axiom (which they don't make anymore?) and, like I said, the place was in shambles and it didn't look like anyone worked there. The only "service" guy over there didn't look a day under 95. That was the last dealership I would deal with in the area, and they're 45 miles away.

I've had alot of great cars, but this is the first one which will deeply sadden me to have to get rid of. I'm going to hold on to her as long as I can, but I feel she's stepping into her golden years as far as I'm concerned, because I tend to stay in new vehicles for reliability sake. Trouble is, I'm going to have to lay down some serious $$$ to even come close to the thrill of the VX. Maybe we'll be together long enough for the value to actually go up, I mean, why the hell is a ten year old Acura NSX or Lotus Espirt still going for $40K, when the rare, handbuilt VehiCross sits at a third of it's original value after three years? I know you all feel my pain. I'm just going to take alot of pictures so I can tell my grandkids that I had one of these.

-Scott
2000 VehiCross Ironman
2003 Acura CL S-Type

SPAZZ
04/10/2004, 08:53 PM
take your hubs off and make really sure that thoe snap rings are actually in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VXR
10/26/2004, 09:04 PM
:confused: I have the same problem. Has anyone had a similar problem or found a definitive answer?:confused:

VXR
10/26/2004, 09:21 PM
When I'm driving, and make a 90 degree turn either left or right, my VX makes a creaking/banging sound for a second.

Sounds like that:confused:

SPAZZ
10/27/2004, 01:31 AM
could be cv's:confused: or.....you could have your vx in 4low and not high...if it is in 4low and you drive on dry solid ground it would bang around like that

VXR
10/27/2004, 08:28 PM
Not 4low & sound only in sharp slow turns?:confused:

Todd Adams
10/28/2004, 10:22 AM
OK I may have the solution for you. I found this out when I installed my front ARB. As it turns out the front cv joint on the front drive shaft is very close to the exhaust. Particularly a small heat shield. The service manual was not very clear as to the position of the front drive axle mounting washers or spacers. I had inadvertently installed them wrong causing the front drive axle to tip just slightly after installation. When I would turn especially in 4 low the front axle would shift just enough to allow the propeller shaft bolts to contact the heat shield on the right side exhaust pipe. Once I put the washers/spacers back in their original position no more problem.
If your front drive axle mounts are worn or the bolts are loose at all (I would not take much) this could cause the same problem. You have to look closely and the place where the rubbing occurs is kind of hidden but it is very obvious when you find it, It will be a shinny spot on the exhaust heat shield above the front cv joint near the output of the front drive axle yoke.
Todd