PDA

View Full Version : Alternator (OEM) total Amperage output - who knows ?

edwin
04/02/2004, 12:45 PM
zup fam - !
I looked thru our manual & couldn't find the total amperage output for the 2000vx alternator. Does any one know it's
output- ?
I'm hookin' up some amps and need to verify that first - !
holla' - !
good lookin' fam - !
ed

SPAZZ
04/02/2004, 05:57 PM
you probably need to get a more powerful one... ..the stock VX alternator can not juice up it self but barely......I only have 400W amp and everytime the base hits everything pulses...

Green Dragon
04/02/2004, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking 90 amps.

Hotsauce
04/03/2004, 03:21 AM
Get a nice cap for your amps. I have the Alumapro 20F in my system. Also, run redundant ground from the alt with heavier wire.

John C.

-x-
04/03/2004, 10:24 AM
whats a redundant thingie-ma-bob amp set up like?

kpaske
04/03/2004, 04:47 PM
I've got two nice Orion amps running off my stock alternator and haven't had any major issues. When it's REALLY BLARING, the lights might dim slightly, but nothing that causes me concern. Like hotsauce mentioned, the key is in the wiring. Run some 1/0 or 4 gauge between your alternator and battery, from the battery to the block, and from the block to the frame. Unless you're running more than two amps, that should provide sufficient power flow. I also suggest a really good battery. I personally use an Optima blue top. (I know, they call it a marine battery, but it's nearly identical to the red top and it matches my setup better).

TDAWG
04/03/2004, 07:41 PM
Green Dragon is correct the stock alternator is 90 amps. As for what hotsauce said about adding a cap that is always the best way to go when adding more amps.

Randii
04/04/2004, 08:24 PM
Yup, if it is like the one on the Trooper from the same era, you're looking at 90amps new. I remember a few threads on 4x4Wire where there was discussion about Mean Green alternators... and IIRC, there's a fella who rebuilds alternators to build them up, and he does it on a mail-in, then return basis.

Hope that helps!

Randii