PDA

View Full Version : Brake line size? Ditching ABS...

coachreed
03/30/2004, 04:04 PM
I had decided awhile back that I was gonna ditch ABS as I don't like the feeling of NOT being in control... and for those of you who swear by ABS... I've owned LOTS of cars with ABS... and this is the first vehicle that the ABS system made me feel uncomfortable... and I know of plenty of ABS problems amongst Isuzu's... so please don't tell me I'm stupid for doing it! lol

Anyway, I have been looking for some information. I want to basically plumb around the ABS unit on the passenger side fender well. I have spoken to a friend of mine who has a shop and he is going to come do the plumbing for me as he has the flare tools and stuff. He wanted to know the size of the hard lines and possibly the thread size of the stock stuff. I have looked at the CD manuals and have found no specs.

Also, after looking at the stock plumbing, there is one line from the master cylinder for the front and one for the rear brakes... they run to a proportioning and bypass valve and then continue on to the firwall, across the ABS unit, and then go out from there. I will need to split the front line and so hope that it will be as easy as some kind of Y-block or something... not sure though. Any input on that?

The ABS unit is the last of the clutter in my engine bay so when things are done, it should be nice and clean under there... the only clutter I will have are the engine and the PCM... the PCM will be mounted where the ABS unit is currently... pretty close proximaty to where the F-body (camaro/firebird) PCM is mounted... and so I should be about right on wiring harness length.

Anyway, if anyone knows the correct plumbing size and threads for the hard lines, PLEASE lemme know. I'll keep looking but I know I am running out of options. Thanks in advance.

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

coachreed
04/04/2004, 06:13 AM
OK, for the record, the brake lines are 2mm... I found you can't make a standard (3/16") double flare tool work with the slightly larger metric (2mm) tubing... I had to completely replace the lines from the proportioning & bypass valve to the small break union blocks at each front wheel where it changes to flex line and to the brake line union for the rear on the passenger isde by the front brake union. I was able to get 3/16" brake line with metric fitting so its a lot cleaner... I'll post some pictures later.

Now that this is done, I can go back to slipping the motor back into the bay. I am making final modifications to the oil pan hopefully tonight. Bolt the pan back on the motor and I am probably gonna slip it in tonight.

Being that I have removed my ABS unit... I have it available for sale. Another member here had to replace his and posted that the dealer wanted $2500 or something stupid like that for one new... he bought a used one for $250... If anyone here is interested in planning for the future, I am willing to sell mine for aobut the same price. If intersted, please email me directly at rreed17@kc.rr.com .

TTYL!

Daver
04/04/2004, 03:46 PM
Not bad for a in-experienced gimp. :D

-Daver