PDA

View Full Version : New Rims? Your thoughts please...

JohnK
03/13/2004, 06:48 PM
Guys - can anyone tell me how to insert a jpeg file? I want to show you some 20" wheels for sale.

-x-
03/25/2004, 07:45 PM
Thinkin bout pickin them up wha chu guys think? Also my first "official" photoshop ; )

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/204rims2.jpg

Oh yea...im lookin at 22's and i am in no way implying my pic is accurate its a guessamate...thanx for takin tha time to critique...x

volume311
03/25/2004, 07:48 PM
Personal opinion, an inch or two too big? just a thought. Looks a lil awkward

azskyrider
03/25/2004, 08:04 PM
Looks nice but I would get rid of those white walls. :confused:

kobie
03/25/2004, 08:34 PM
I agree that they are maybe an inch too big. American racing has a similar wheel with a gray/gunmetal painted inside and chrome on the outer part of the wheel with a similar effect to what you hace pictured. It has a six spoke design. I don't see it on the company's website but I have seen it in tire shops as of late.

WyrreJ
03/25/2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah, white-walls or chrome lip -- hard to tell, either way, makes it look like you are driving on hula-hoops.

MZ-N10
03/25/2004, 08:55 PM
damn...looks like one of them civics on 20s...i ahve to agree with everyone else...2" smaller
________
WELLBUTRIN SETTLEMENTS (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Daver
03/26/2004, 01:15 AM
If those are stock tires you p'shopped over, then the diameter is 30". Your wheels look to be about 24-25" in relation.

I think 22s in reality won't look as big as your picture shows. Maybe those that think 2" smaller would be better would actually like the 22s.

Personally, having seen 20s on a VX, I think those are a good size.

What kind of offset and width are you looking at? One guy had to lift his VX just to get 20s on.

-Daver

Hotsauce
03/26/2004, 02:28 AM
What does that wheel/tire combination weigh? Most 20+ are HEAVY.

Be prepared for an extremely rough ride from the change in sprung/unsprung weight ratio, and the extremely low profile you will need to fit them.

John C.

WormGod
03/26/2004, 07:58 AM
Since you asked for opinions....

Never liked that oversized wheel look. On cars or trucks. I think it makes automobiles look like horse drawn wagons. I like a little rubber between my wheel and the street.

But, it's yout ride. Go with what your taste and wallet will allow ya.

Bantan
03/26/2004, 08:09 AM
I like em!
Photos never do our Vxes justice, much less photoshop.
If I could cut enough wheel well and fenders I would go with 24" wheels that way I won't have to drop my VX.;Dy;

Dallas4u
03/26/2004, 08:15 AM
My opinion...

I wouldn't go any larger than 18". I HATE oversized wheels on almost everything.

I like the wheel ok... just the size (for me) is too large.

VX_PA
03/26/2004, 08:28 AM
I say go for it!!!:D

It's your ride and even the photoshop you did looks cool!:cool:

erslincoln
03/31/2004, 02:28 PM
The deal on wheels as it pertains to Isuzu vehicles.

When I bought my Trooper, it had a set of 18" American Racing chrome wheels on it with 285/60-18 Yokohama AVS/ST tires on them.

It looked super cool, but I didn't want to give the dealership the $2500 they wanted for the combo. I could have replaced that combo through just about any place online for around $1600.

Anyway, the 18s looked sweet, especially since the backspacing stuck them out a little bit, increasing the track, which increased the stability, but it also increased the torque steer and kickback.

The further you put the tires from the center of the vehicle, the more it will wear on your bearings in a way that they weren't designed for. It will also drastically affect your steering. It will require more effort, you'll feel more potholes, and imperfections and things like that, and if there is a rut in the road, it will really want to follow it.

I've had my eye on a set of 20" Enkei RT6s for some time. Streetdreams.org has them for $190 each, which is way cheap. Nobody would be able to sell me on going with a bigger wheel than a 20", at least on an Isuzu, unless they were free or REEEEAALLY cheap.

With a 20" wheel, they still look sweet, but they still have some sidewall, which brings me to my final point.

If your VX rides anything at all like my Trooper, it's not the smoothest thing in the world.

To break it down on a scale of one to ten, if riding in a Lincoln is like a 1, and riding on a lawn tractor over a really crappy trail is a ten (also, a ten would be a roller coaster), if you put 22s or bigger on your VX, it's going to ride somewhere around a 7-8.

It'll ride like crap, is my point. Plus, you have less sidewall to protect the wheel from flubs on the road that cause curb rash, pothole damage, and things like that.

Go with 22s if you want, but be forewarned.

18-20" is a good size to look cool but stay practical.

As a final note: For God's sake, please keep your factory wheels and tires for winter and/or trail riding! I see people all over town running around on their dubs in the snow. Real smart.

erslincoln
03/31/2004, 02:37 PM
Also, you're going to eat more gas. That's all there is to it. You'll eat even more if you increase diameter much from about 30".

Plus, your speedo and odo will be off.

For example, a 285/60-18 is 31.5" in diameter, which makes roughly 98.91 inches per rotation.

A 245/60-18 (stock size) is 29.7" in diameter, making it 93.258 per rotation.

So, when the speedo reads 55mph, you'll actually be doing 58.3mph.
And, when the speedo reads 75mph, you'll actually doing 79.5mph.

I don't care, and I compensate for my 31x11.50-15 LTBs, but it's easy to forget and get pulled over.

erslincoln
03/31/2004, 02:47 PM
Oh, and one last item:

Don't look for your ABS to act correctly. The difference in traction, rolling mass, and diameter will throw that baby right off.

mrtew
03/31/2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Daver
If those are stock tires you p'shopped over, then the diameter is 30". Your wheels look to be about 24-25" in relation.

Those can't be stock tires behind them as they are almost touching the plastic and stockers leave LOTS of air around them... Those have got to be at least 34 inch tires which would make the wheels about 28 at least.... that's the reason everyone thinks they look too big. To be honest every VX I've seen with 20 inch or larger wheels looks ridiculous because the tires are too small. They don't make tires with enough meat on them in those sizes to fill our wheelwells and you end up with a smaller overall diameter than stock, which is NOT what you want! The best looking VX's have 8" wide 17-18 inch wheels with big fat rubber on them. Trucks just don't look right with low profile tires. IMHO