PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light

Ron Pfeiffer
03/25/2004, 03:25 PM
Hey all,

Does anybody know what the engine code “P1441 EVAP FLOW DURING NON PURGE” means? Is it the infamous gas cap code, or something worse?
My Check Engine light went on on the way to work today. Fortunately I was dropping my VX off to have my new Nittos aligned (man, they are mean lookin’ – they really complete the looks of the VX!). Hoping it was a false code or the gas cap, the mechanic read the code, reset the computer, and told me to keep an eye on it. Drove home with no problems.
I’m hoping it isn’t serious (read “expensive”), and that it doesn’t have anything to do with engine rpm changes from the new tires (I’ve had ’em for two days – about 100 miles). Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

coachreed
03/26/2004, 03:39 PM
I don't know what the code is... was just curious as to what tires you got? Nitto Terra Grapplers? What size? Just curious. I have the 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers and LOVE them... they look great and ride nice... and get around off-road good too.

Later!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Ron Pfeiffer
03/26/2004, 03:56 PM
Coach,
I've been following your engine swap with interest - hope you are healing well. Slow healing injuries are a real drag.

I got the same tires as you, same size, partly BECAUSE of your recommendations and pics. Thanks! They are indeed really nice. Ride well on and off road - I drive 75 mph highway about 30 miles each way to work, but we live on top of a small mountain and I start and end my commute with a 1800ft climb on crappy rutted dirt roads (where did my home owners dues go again?). The Nittos handle both with ease. Plus, they make the VX look mean as hell - like some kinda angry animal ready to jump on your head.

As for the code, it didn't come back on since yesterday, but her new trick was to stall on me when I stopped to check the mail. Soft stall at a stop, started right back up again no prob. No RPM hijinks, no rough idle, half tank of gas, no code or error lights. Is this related? Anybody know what gives with that or the P1441 code?

Ron

VX922
03/26/2004, 06:55 PM
Ron
code is trigerred by canister purge circuit. If u need to know more let me know.
Stan

Ron Pfeiffer
03/27/2004, 11:13 AM
Stan,
Thanks! What else can you tell me about possible causes, besides the gas cap (which I know CAN be a trigger of that code, since if it isn't on tight, will allow the system to depressurize)? Would any of the possible cause be related to my mystery stall, or is that probably a different issue?
I have about 20K on her, and replaced all the fluids with Mobile 1 synth, including a full trans flush, when I bought her at 18.6K. I am running Nitto 285/60/18s, which obviously changes engine rpms. Both when I threw the code and when it stalled, I had been driving up the mountain in 2nd gear, pulling about 2,500 - 3,000 rpms for about 3/4 mile. It was dry , in the 50s-60s temps. I had about 1/2 tank gas each time (different fill-ups, though, between the code and the stall the next day). The code lit up when I was driving, but the stall occured when I stopped at the mailbox. Those are all of the variables I can think to add. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron

VX922
03/27/2004, 11:38 AM
check your mailbox

wekilled
05/19/2005, 06:03 AM
tried to email you but your mailbox is full. Can you send me the info as well?

thanks

Doug

douglas.wekell@us.army.mil

mbeach
05/19/2005, 09:30 AM
Everytime I see an "Evap" related code I cringe. I've had to wrestle with a couple, and without a good shops' full diagnostic equipment, I never would have found them. I let the shop find the leak, then I fix it.
So far, this code has been fixed (for me, on other vehicles) by:
-Replacing the Evap canister purge control solenoid (on a Nissan, but we got 'em too.).
-Replacing the Evap canister (had a pinhole leak in it, very tough to find).

Let us know how it goes, it'd be nice to assemble a CEL database (what it is, how to fix) -I used to have one of these in my Subaru days (CELs are very common in modded WRXs, heck, I still keep a scanner under my seat).