PDA

View Full Version : TOD Disconnect - Ignition Reset

VR4-Quest
03/25/2004, 05:36 AM
OK, so I've read that yo can avoid the turning of the ignition to switch TOD back on if you install a disconnect switch, plus it gets ride of the check light (less concern). I've seen an LED and or resistor mentioned. WHat exactly do I need, and where do I install it? In line with the switch, before or after it (TOD computer side or other side), what type of resitor or LED? Will the Isuzu Trooper TOD switch take care of this or do I still need a LED or resistor.
Thanks!

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 12:19 AM
so...anyone care to explain fully how to hook up a TOD off/on switch???

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 09:34 AM
but no picture of which wire to cut???

Cyrk
04/07/2004, 10:10 AM
There was one that Tone took I cannot find it... but it is the only light blue wire from the TOD unit under the passenger side seat.
-Dave

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 11:28 AM
does the TOD check light just come on and stay constant....or does it flash??????

Cyrk
04/07/2004, 11:31 AM
I have mine on a switch with out a led resitor... so when I switch mine the tod check flashes on and off... need to get around to hooking up the led to stop that, kinda of annoying.

-D

AlaskaVX
04/07/2004, 11:40 AM
So what is the easiest way to make the VX 2-wheel drive. I finally found a place that does Dyno testing and need to convert to 2 wheel. Is dropping the front drive shaft essential or just a TOD on/off switch? I want to make sure I get the correct #'s when I bring it in.
Thanks in advance,
Alan

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 11:40 AM
so it does flash...... so how to stop that??? what kind of switch???

Cyrk
04/07/2004, 11:42 AM
Put an led or some sort of load on the blue wire you are interrupting - so that when the computer is switched out, it thinks it is still working - it is running the LED instead of the TOD system.

From Tone... I still need to do this.

See the BIG gay azz red switch on my dash next to the alarm led (I just got a replacement factory fog light switch that I am going to us instead and paint TOD on it), that is what I have the TOD disconnect hooked up to, the led inside is not working at the moment, hence the flashing check...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/39gauges1.jpg

-Dave

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 11:53 AM
I have a LED lighted switch...it has 3 prongs...Ground-Constant-Signal...when switch is to OFF everything is normal...when to on the LED light lights up and Check TOD lght flashes

Cyrk
04/07/2004, 11:58 AM
hummm not sure? I have not gotten that far... but she is fun with only rear wheels spinning and with a blinking check light LOL...

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 04:13 PM
ok...now my check tranny light flshing and check engine light constant came on......and tranny is driving in safe mode....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

why is it doing that...took it to Auto Zone and Shucks(Kragen) and codes thrown are P1860 P1860...double code....TCC solenoid...but, before it was throwing that code and no lights flashing..

Took battery terminal off for about a half hour..lights went off....but, still driving in safe tranny mode...Battery terminal is off to reset computer...I'll go check it out after a couple hours...

AlaskaVX
04/07/2004, 05:12 PM
A response from Tone from an email I sent....

This has been detailed on .info - to be able to switch it back enabled after off, when switched off it needs to take the circuit to a load such as an LED or big resistor. this is NOT sufficient to allow a run on a dyno though - you will shear the front driveshaft - it mustbe removed to dyno
Just a FYI

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 07:18 PM
put battery terminals back on...no check engine or tranny lights...tranny not driving in safe mode..

took it around the block...check engine & tranny lights back on and tranny back in safe mode:confused: :confused: :confused:

but, TOD off/on switch works...only what kind of switch can bypass the TOD light...I strarted on a 18 pack og bud...soooooo......just about any reasonabl idea I will try just about now....

warr`s auto
04/07/2004, 07:51 PM
i have my tod turned off with out a flashing light if you put your switch on the switched power feed to the tod unit it will not flash the light !!! it will turn on the abs light and the abs will not work even if you turn the tod back on unless you turn off the key to me that is a good thing as i thank the abs sucks in bad weahter , so now i can start the engine turn the tod off and back on and no more abs that wont stop. btw you can turn the tod on & off at highway speed with no problems , i have had my tod off for the biggest part of the last 3 months only turn it on if i need it work fine. the next time i have the seat out ( 2 weeks ) i will post witch wire i have the switch on :yesb:

VX crazy
04/07/2004, 07:51 PM
Drink Jaeger Spazz, the VX will be the LAST of your problems......

SPAZZ
04/07/2004, 08:41 PM
I'm about to resort to your method with the saw zaw!!!!!!

Bring that Jeager up here and we can both go to town on it......;eekp; ;eekp; ;eekp; ;eekp; ;eekp; ;eekp; ;eekp;

pieces in no time...;Dp;

warr`s auto, how do you exactly have your switch hooked up???

here this may shed some light...this just in from Swordy...
when TOD is off...light should be on...and by doing so it puts load and makes TOD check flashing light go off? but, it should be a big enough bulbed switch to put a load big enough to make TOD check light from flashing. An Led is probably not big enough load...maybe one of those regular big bulbed switches..non Led

ok comtemplated life...heres what I came up with...

1) Remove Interceptor
2) Check both hubs(again)
3) Check Fluid level in Tranny/Transfer case (again)
4) all Wiring underneath and inside for Tranny/Tod etc...
5) Check Alternator and battery
6) Clean EGR
7) Leave hubs locked and TOD on for now..

and.....I'm sure more will come up if these others don't solve

SPAZZ
04/08/2004, 11:05 AM
had to remove Skid plates to get the Interceptor, but now it is removed...battery terminals back on...hubs locked in ... took it for a test drive to see how it is acting, now check engine and tranny lights do not come on again.

but, no TOD

also, if someone can post how they hooked up their TOD off/on switch exactly what wire to where and what kind of switch to use to make TOD light not flash.....

Leeroy
04/09/2004, 09:34 AM
Earlier in the thread, Deermagnet posted a link to the thread discussing my 4wd switch hookup.
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/000600.html

In my last post I tried to explain in detail how I hooked up the switch. I have no flashing CHECK light when my TOD is off. Sorry, no pics, but I don't mind helping out if you're interested in this type hookup.

Btw, I big thanks to EclipseGSX for showing off his Thule fairing installation. I recently installed the same fairing and it looks great and the howling noise has stopped.

Lee

SPAZZ
04/09/2004, 09:56 AM
that tells what you did...not HOW you did it and what you used and what wires hooked to what and what kind of switch....

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

If I ask the auto parts store for a Double load switch with led resiter they look at me like I just asked for blinker fluidconfused::confused:

if someone asked how to change her battery and you answered simple just take old one out and put new one in..that probably wouldn't help them...

I have no light blue/white wire...I have a Light Blue/Silver wire

I hooked up my Led switch...Ground...TOD wire...to TOD computer....

If I hook it up with just a TOD in wire...... and the TOD to computer wire the TOD will disengage and the Check TOD light comes on and flashes...
but, if I ground the switch to make the LED light up...TOD WILL NOT DISENGAGE and I get a clicking/humming noise some where on the passenger side in the dash..... and go figure no check TOD light flashing:confused::confused:

TOD is still not engaging though...I haven't been able to pin point why not??????

Leeroy
04/09/2004, 11:46 AM
It wasn't meant to be a "HOW TO" post. Just a passing along of what I did to get it to work. However, my goal was to set up 1 circuit for the CHECK display wire (red/blue) and 1 circuit for the clutch solenoid control wire (light blue) with a single switch. The clutch solenoid is what actually engages the TOD. So all you're doing is turning on/off the TOD and the CHECK display light at the same time by using one switch. I used the Trooper 4wd button/switch which has got one funky circuit that must be severed for it work only as a 2 circuit switch. Looking at the switch you will see that each connector/prong is numbered. And If you open up the switch you will see that there is a connection that runs between the #1 prong and the #3 prong when the button is in the OFF position. I can't remember what I used to cut the connection. Most likely it was a file. After that you can access your TOD/ABS computer under your center console. From the exposed wires coming from the computer you should see 1 red/blue striped wire and 1 light blue wire. Cut the red/blue wire and sodder one end to the #1 prong and then sodder the other end to the #2 prong. Next, cut the light blue wire and connect one end to the #3 prong and the other to the #4 prong. So now when you put the switch in the ON position it will close the circuit or create a connection for both wires and when it is OFF it will disconnect both wires. Sorry if this is confusing, but this is about as good as I can explain it without pictures. Although, if you have a Trooper 4wd button in hand, you would see what I'm describing without much issue. If you decide to get a 4wd button, don't be an idiot like me and pay $85 at the dealer, go to a salvage yard or something.
Btw, you although you can turn off the TOD on the fly, you will only be able to turn it back on by pushing in the button and restarting your car.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Lee

SPAZZ
04/09/2004, 02:13 PM
If I hook it up with just a TOD(light blue/silver) in wire...... and the TOD(computer side of Light Blue/silver) to computer wire the TOD will disengage and the Check TOD light comes on and flashes...

but, if I ground the switch to make the LED light up...TOD WILL NOT DISENGAGE and I get a clicking/humming noise some where on the passenger side in the dash..... and go figure no check TOD light flashing
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

why is that?????

Daver
04/10/2004, 04:32 PM
If you really wish to dyno, you'll need to pull the front propshaft, or get manual locking hubs along with the TOD switch mod.

-Daver

warr`s auto
04/20/2004, 07:03 PM
ok my pic. is to big to load , but the wire you need to have the switch on is blue , white strip , & sliver tracer (in the plug to the drives side of the tod box ) this will turn off tod as well as the abs when switched off , if switched back on with the ing. on the tod comes on & the abs stays off intell you turn the ing. off and back on this will reset the abs . with the switch on the tod and abs work fine turn it off the tod lights go out and the abs light comes on , you can turn the switch on at highway speed with no problems !