PDA

View Full Version : 2001 engine issues

rogue1313
03/24/2004, 09:42 PM
Greetings....I'm a new comer to the post here. I've had my 01 Proton Yellow for just over a year now. It's a great rig.....only 28k on it so far. No problems of yet...but I was curious, I've read about the engine failures on the 99 VX's.....does anyone know if the 01 VX has any of the same issues?

By the way, I just experienced using the spare tire...the TOD did not like it on the rear at all....it was freakin out! All is well now though, thanks to the great advice on this site.

Like I said before....is my 01 engine gonna blow up?

MZ-N10
03/24/2004, 10:38 PM
yes...i mean BOOM.....so u better gimme ur vx....
________
Ugor cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Ugor)

t2p
03/25/2004, 08:51 AM
rogue1313:
You will probably be fine. At least I hope so.

Plus, the Isuzu powertrain warranty is still in effect - check with Isuzu and/or your dealer to determine the exact length of your coverage (depends on the date your VX was put into service I believe).
Some people have tremendous reliability with their 3.5's ..... I know of one person that has a 99 with (approx) 100k miles and he has had no mechanial issues. He has done (basically) nothing to his VX - other than have the window problems addressed (why Isuzu did not address this issue with a permanent fix is both confusing and dissappointing). And the VX still has the original shock absorbers on it also ..... go figure.
The early engines appeared to have an issue with intake manifold gaskets - not sure if/when there was a change in that area. There may have been a change to the later engines in the piston ring design and/or material ..... ??? .... again, not sure.
???
My recommen: Change the oil on a regular basis - 3000 miles is what I believe I read in the manual - and keep all documentation.
I would also keep an eye on the oil level - 500 mile increments may be a good idea.
Also, keep an eye on the PCV valve - and or replace at suggested intervals according to Isuzu and/or dealer recommendations.
I plan to follow the above items - and hope it keeps me out of trouble.

rogue1313
03/25/2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't had any problems yet....except the CD player didn't want to accept a disk once....it did the next day though....but I'll definetly keep my fingers crossed.

My only issue is that I don't drive the VX much....too much traffic in SoCal....I ride my motorcycle most of the time....but I'm worried that by the time I hit the 60k mark, I'll be way out of warranty. I only put about 7k on it this past year. I'll just wait and see. Thanks again.

There is one more problem.....someone is always stopping me and asking what I'm driving. Those are the breaks

SPAZZ
03/25/2004, 07:56 PM
I lived in Mira Mesa, La Mesa, and City Heights...in San Diego for 8 years... had my VX since April 24, 2001 ..drove it every day since all over that whole area...up and down the 15, 5, and 805..back and forth on the 52, 125, 8, and 94...all throughj La Jolla, Down Town, Jamul, El Cajon, Santee, La Mesa, Lakeside, Quayamaca, San Diego, PB, MB, IB, and La Jolla shores, cove...you name it......and yes..I have even been to Hillcrest... worked on MIramar the whole time so everyday back and forth from work, home, lunch, errands...even to Balboa frequently...even spent time in Mission bay(had German gf once and opened passenger door, pushed her out and made her hold herself up with her hands on the ground with half of her still inside VX and..well...I think some have a comprehensive enough imagination..as she got an upside down view of the bay)......

never saw you...only saw a few driving by and they didn't seem to even see another VX....saw a proton once...busted a U caught up with em...he didn't even notice me driving next to him down Lake Murry toward the 8...honked horn...tried to get him to talk but he seemed as though he could care less......

came across an Ironman with a flat he ran over a rake...didn't have a wheel lock key, so I drove him to the body shop where mine was and to get mine and drove him back to his and showed him how to properly jack up a VX and how to put spare on the front because of TOD "Allergenic Spare in the Rear Syndrone"

and yes.......my VX has engine issues...not problems...but don't they all?

coachreed
03/26/2004, 03:30 PM
Two things to say about your engine... Maintanence... and RECORDS! I am a victim of my own lack of record keeping... and so my extended warranty company told me to take a hike! Keep records and let the dealer do as much of the work as you can afford and you shouldn't have to worry about it... oh yeah, as someone else already said, check your oil regularly.

Originally posted by SPAZZ
blah blah blah...even spent time in Mission bay(had German gf once and opened passenger door, pushed her out and made her hold herself up with her hands on the ground with half of her still inside VX and..well...I think some have a comprehensive enough imagination..as she got an upside down view of the bay)......blah blah blah...and yes.......my VX has engine issues...not problems...but don't they all?

Spazz-
:confused:I don't think your engine is the only thing with issues... you scare me sometimes! :confused:

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Heraclid
03/26/2004, 04:47 PM
I have no obvious engine problems, but I'm at that magic 60k mile mark, so wish me luck for the next few thousand folks. :-) I just changed the PCV pretty recently, and almost right away my occasional idle fluctuation ceased. Keep up with that folks - costs like $3 and takes a minute to change. Maybe even 30 seconds. I keep up with the oil changes, and it doesn't appear to be consuming any oil. Actually it seems to get peppier as time goes on. But then again, I have recently changed the PCV, fuel filter, air filter, oil/filter, had a transmission flush/filter (today - a bit dirty but not horrible and no shavings), so it oughta be feeling better with all that. The diffs and transfer case will be very soon.

I've seen it said a few times now that that this is a '99 engine problem, but that really the case? Coach's is a 2000 model, for example.

As for dealers, I had mine change the CD changer under my extended warranty and haven't been back since. Don't really trust 'em, they were real weasels about the window issue too. Plus they scratched up the area around the changer. All of the fluids and such that I can do myself get done right here at home and I keep all related documentation. I did let a place called RPM Automotive do the tranny flush today - cleanest shop you ever saw and very professional attitude. If I ever need a dealer I'll go and use the extended warranty (may try to get new headlights out of 'em), but otherwise, nah. I'm for getting better for cheaper with less hassle.