PDA

View Full Version : 3 way Component Door Speakers

Hotsauce
03/24/2004, 06:17 PM
Focal Polykevlar 165 K3's. Crossover inside the door.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/111cf_door-med.jpg

I did this side first.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/111kevlar_pod-med.jpg

I then later discovered a better textile, since my VX is Proton.

Aiming the tweeters towards your ears is an important step to get better imaging.

The real carbon and the cf/kevlar really show how bad the stock door inserts look.

John C

WormGod
03/25/2004, 07:27 AM
Pretty cool. I Like those C/F tweeter assemblies. Been interested in finding some sort of aftermarket/mod to make mine in that area look integrated instead of just screwed in. You wouldn't by any chance want to go into production with those would ya? Maybe send a mold to Carbon Werks and offer this to fellow VX'ers? You'd be da' man in my book Saucy. ;)

Dallas4u
03/25/2004, 07:58 AM
Intersting audio design... are the tweets truely pointing towards the head (ears)? It looks more like they are pointing towards the chest area, but that could just be the photos.

What are you gaining with the woofer in the bottom and the midrange in the middle? Does it sound better or just louder? Do you have any subs in the rear? Do you have any mids in the rear?

Sorry... just wondering!

PDOGG23
03/25/2004, 11:00 AM
I would definitely be interested in the tweeter mod.. I like how you matched the speakers with the Proton. It's the little things that count! (I think a woman said this to me once.... Oh well I wasn't paying attention anywayz!) :laughp:

Radiologue
03/25/2004, 03:19 PM
Nice Focal's!

Hotsauce
03/25/2004, 05:54 PM
There are front speakers only, powered by a Tubedriver Blue 2150. No rears at all, except a JL 10W6 V2 d4 in a Decware Deathbox, powered by a Tubedriver 1250.

The front to rear split is usually set to 80Hz, if I'm playing a DVD, I usually bump the split up to 120Hz.

Headunit is a Clarion VR925 touchscreen, running TOSlink digital out to seperate D/A converter. Interconnects are a mix of StraightWire, and Alpha Core silver. Speaker wire is braided CAT5.

Yes, the tweets are not aimed directly at the ears, after mounting them in modeling clay, and adjusting them for a week or so I decided they sounded better off axis a little. The stock aiming is rediculous though, the drivers side fires right into the dash. The mids are aimed up and rearwards as much as I could. All the open portions of the inner door panel are sealed off as much as I could. Next planned upgrade will be hooking up an active crossover, and tri-amping the fronts to eliminate some of the phase shifts that the passive crossover causes.

Yes, the home system is much crazier.

I thought briefly about offering the pods for sale, but its just way too time intensive, and I'm basically lazy.

John

WyrreJ
03/25/2004, 08:45 PM
Why not mount the tweats at ear level in the A-pillars instead?

WormGod
03/26/2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
I thought briefly about offering the pods for sale, but its just way too time intensive, and I'm basically lazy.

What if Carbon Werks were to get a mold from ya? No work at all for you and you would be hookin' up fellow VXer music buffs like me. :)

Dallas4u
03/26/2004, 08:22 AM
See everyone... from one audiophile to another, if you have a good setup up front, there should be no need for rear speakers (other than a sub if you need the bass fill).

Nice setup... I'm still wondering what the woofer and mid sound like in the door. I'm assuming it gets pretty loud in there!! If I had $1200 laying around, I wouldn't go any other way!

Bantan
03/26/2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Nice setup... I'm still wondering what the woofer and mid sound like in the door.

The sound is crystal clear and out of this world, when I decide to switch systems again John will be getting alot of late night phone calls from me.;Dy;

Dallas4u
03/26/2004, 10:06 AM
Lookin at getting rid of the Xtant sub and putting in a e10Kx. I need something that can follow music better than just sloppy punching. Plus, they're only $75!