PDA

View Full Version : How Much?

VCAMILO
03/23/2004, 10:19 PM
Well my mom loves her VX but the dealers in Chicago are being asswholes about service. They dont want to replace a front shock and they dented her VX and do not want to take responsability for it. So, she is very disapointed in Isuzu service and wants to sell her VX. I told her about the 800 number for the headquarters and she might be calliing them this week. But what is she supposed to tell them?

So, she wants to know how much for a 2001 VX in silver w/20k miles. all stock... :mad:

SGT.BATGUANO
03/23/2004, 10:39 PM
She should tell them what you just said.

They don't wan't to replace the shock, why?
They damaged her vehicle and refuse to accept responsibility.

Have her ask for information on how to file a complaint.

I'd guess about 17,5.

t2p
03/24/2004, 07:10 AM
My 'take' on the OEM shock absorbers:
(forgive me for being blunt)
The OEM Vehicross shock absorbers are junk. They were 'over-hyped' - and are overpriced and unreliable. It is not a question of 'if', but 'when'. The reliability appears to be an issue especially in the colder climates. Unfortunate - and actually surprising - considering the manufacturer (KYB).

The best place for the OEM's is in a box in the garage ....... and years from now, somone may be able to use them .... maybe a person that is restoring a VX.
My recommen:
Purchase/Install a set of KYB Gas-Adjust or MonoMax shock absorbers. Under $200 shipped. A competent mechanic can install these in an hour or so.
Life will be much better.

Tone
03/24/2004, 07:13 AM
t2p - have you replaced yours? Which did you go with or are you just making recommendations that you have not tested? Funny, I have driven my '99 VX to Moab 3 times, jumped in a tough truck competion, mudded it no end, raced in on and off road and never had a shock go bad and I'm at 90K

t2p
03/24/2004, 07:57 AM
Tone:
I hear you - and I believe you. And the pictures of you in action - especially the stadium picture - just blow my mind. I do not understand it.
???
I have the replacements sitting in the garage. I plan to this weekend - or early next week.
I just purchased my VX - 35K miles - and the shocks are so bad that I refrain from driving it.
I also looked at another VX for sale in my area - with 37K - and the shock absorbers were also shot.

In both cases, the dealers said 'that is the way that they ride'. Since when did the 'bounce test' go out of style ? knew better - and purchased it and promptly placed an order for four Monomax
shock absorbers.
I have used KYB Gas-Adjusts, my friends have used Monomax's, so my recommendation is not without base.
As for my knowledge about the VX - you forgot more than I will ever know. But my first hand experience with the two low mileage vehicles I looked at - and the many posts I have read on this board have convinced me that the OEM shocks are unreliable.

AlaskaVX
03/24/2004, 12:08 PM
t2p- I have beat the hell out of my shocks, now at 56,500 and they are still ticking. After all the "catch air in your VX" hype came around I found a grass field with some descent jumps around and went airborn! They never bottomed out no matter how much air I got! I'm not sure if you know how it rides normally. It rides rough, but when you hit a jump it just sucks it up soooo nicely :thumbup: I even drove the Alaska Highway for 36 hours then hit "real" streets and drove another 10 hours without a hiccup from the shocks, they weren't kidding when they said nearly impossible to overheat!

Vcamilo- I would definateley call the 1-800 # and give them hell! I would be outrageously pissed off if they put a dent in my car and refused to fix it! I think I would be close to punching someone over that! :eek:

jayfotos
03/24/2004, 01:36 PM
Vcamilo- I would definateley call the 1-800 # and give them hell! I would be outrageously pissed off if they put a dent in my car and refused to fix it! I think I would be close to punching someone over that! :eek:

Word!

Dallas4u
03/24/2004, 02:05 PM
A letter from a lawyer can work wonders ;)

Green Dragon
03/24/2004, 04:10 PM
Well I can honestly say that my OEM shocks have more than met the definition of Battle tested having run some of the toughest trails known. Never had a problem, maybe it is a cold weather problem but I have run many times in the snow. I think just like some of the other things on the VX it may be a quality control problem, you get a good one you got it made , get a bad one & problems-problems.

Cptnmorgan
03/24/2004, 05:00 PM
I had my VX for about 6 months when a friend drove mine and told me my front left shock was kinda weird..... I took it to the dealership and they said "no problems with the shocks". I took it to another dealer and they blamed it on my tires being different sizes......took it back after replacing the tires, and they blamed it on the tires having different air pressures, causing the TOD to act funny. Finally got so bad I was literally BOUNCING down the road. Bought the Rancho adjustables and when installing them I jacked up the right front side to replace the left front, and fluid leaked out all over the place......BAD shock. I liked the stock shocks!!! Just wish the service would have been better. There will always be problems when something is a "new" design. The trucks were not in production long enough to perfect the design. Service just needs to back this up.......

on that same note.....I MISS MY VX!!!!!:cryb:

kpaske
03/24/2004, 06:09 PM
I always thought those shocks were supposed to be taken directly from SODA racing cars? Anyhow, my VX rode great for the first 30k or so, but sometime after, and it was a gradual process, at least two of them went bad, making the ride really horrible. I replaced them with Rancho 9000x adjustables, and everything rides a lot better, but still not as good as the stock shocks, when they worked.

Captain Maynard
03/26/2004, 09:03 PM
My stock shocks ride so rough that my factory CD changer no longer functions.

If anyone has a stock CD changer they no longer need, please contact me...

CM

WyrreJ
03/26/2004, 11:40 PM
I doubt your shocks are the cause of the cd player failing, they seem to be able do that pretty well all by themselves.

Garhead
03/30/2004, 08:47 AM
Can someone help with a part # for the front shocks?? I also have 2 blown fronts & the dealer is saying $400 per to replace. NFW!!! I have a competent shops that can do the work but can not find any part # to match a Vehicross.!!

Green Dragon
03/30/2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Garhead
Can someone help with a part # for the front shocks?? I also have 2 blown fronts & the dealer is saying $400 per to replace. NFW!!! I have a competent shops that can do the work but can not find any part # to match a Vehicross.!!

Isuzu VX OEM KYB rally type shocks for reference
Extended Compressed P/N
Frnt 15.35 x 10.24 89721 25330
Rear 19.25 x 12.56 89721 25340

Reg Hinnant
03/30/2004, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jayfotos
[B]Vcamilo- I would definateley call the 1-800 # and give them hell! I would be outrageously pissed off if they put a dent in my car and refused to fix it! I think I would be close to punching someone over that! :eek:

Listen! Dont let your Mom get treated like that!

We have OEM shocks being disassembled and will have some information on them shortly. I have 75,000 miles on mine & have 1 bad. It seems that there are more 2000 & 2001's with shock problems than 99's

psychos2
03/30/2004, 02:18 PM
i would get a lawyer . i have called isuzu to complain and they told me it sounds like a dealer problem.
and as far as the shocks. i have said it before and will say it again the stock shocks are junk. they cannot handle the cold or the salt or maybe its both. i have just over 50,000 miles and have had the front shocks replaced twice under warranty. the rears replaced once .i just installed rancho 9000's and found one of the fronts bad again. shawn

Navigator
03/30/2004, 04:59 PM
... If I were you, I'd beg her to let you take over the payments (if any) then replace the shocks with a set of four Rancho 9000's for $220 from http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/index.html shipped to your door or just replace the one bad OEM shock for $400.

SUV's get dents and scratches. I have a few from kids playing ball, and random higway flying objects, etc. Dent's give your SUV character, like a tattoo. I doubt you'll buy that BS but that is what I tell myself while I save up to have random damage removed from my VX :rotate: Sh*t like that, although not fair, happens. The dealer should never see a dime from you, cut your losses. Legal costs will exceed repair cost and there is no guarantee of a win. Don't let that dealer steal your joy of VX ownership.

I understand your Mom's frustration, I've been there. It can happen with any possesion, but don't let the emotions consume. Sure the dealer screwed up, but don't let that bastar* make you part with your VX. Just my 2 cent rant.

I figure she'll get at least $15k or more if she fixes the damage. I'd start begging for tittle now if it were my mom :luck:

Navigator
03/30/2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by psychos2
i would get a lawyer . i have called isuzu to complain and they told me it sounds like a dealer problem.
and as far as the shocks. i have said it before and will say it again the stock shocks are junk. they cannot handle the cold or the salt or maybe its both. i have just over 50,000 miles and have had the front shocks replaced twice under warranty. the rears replaced once .i just installed rancho 9000's and found one of the fronts bad again. shawn

No doubt hitting a series of potholes and other obstacles on a continuous basis at temps 20 below zero was NOT in KYB design spec along with microfine particles of salt to corrode ALL!!!. The metal saddles on the poly sway bar bushings I added last spring is rusted to He77. East coast winter does a number on your under body. My OEM's shocks did make it thru 4 winters and 38,000 miles of washboard roads with potholes AND raised manhole covers (which btw tend to point you square in the path of a pothole when you steer to avoid them), died on day 3 of winter number 5 which is dayum good for any shock IMO. I've been as far north as Toronto, and must say the farther north you go the worse it gets. No doubt I'd have more trouble If I stayed in Toronto. Glad to be in MD where the winters are totally unpredictable :rotate: Spring like one minute and freezing cold and snowing the next. Nothing lasts long thru weather extremes, I have no doubts the OEM shocks are good, just that our weather and perhaps roads demand more, and will require more frequent replacements.