PDA

View Full Version : poor gas mileage

geoffbear2003
03/22/2004, 07:46 PM
Hey there, I'm currently getting less than 13 mpg with my VX in city driving, is this normal? I have a close friend that says I should be getting more than 15 mpg/city. I drive sanely, rarely use the POWER button, what gives?

Andrey
03/22/2004, 08:07 PM
Start using "power" button ! I am not kidding. I saw increase in milage after I've read on the board about "power" button. Check tire preassure, air filter, gas filter, PVC valve...... What grade gas do you use ? I use mid-grade Mobile only from day one and it seems to give me fair milage in the city.
People report better milage with better fluids also (transfer case, diffs, gearbox etc...) I plan to swap fluids to either Royal Purple or Mobile 1.

Good luck !

MZ-N10
03/22/2004, 09:05 PM
the car is kinda weird....i duno why but when i try to save gas i get 260~ miles per tank...but when i push it i get 300~maybe its my car tryin to tell me soemthing
________
Dorotysexs (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/dorotysexs)

SPAZZ
03/22/2004, 09:43 PM
with stock gears I was getting 10 mpg...changed to 456's and am getting like 14 mpg... Calmini air filter instead of stock choking air depriving box improved mileage too...Fuel Miser...Tornado...

guess someday I'll drop an 8 cylinder in there and actually get the performance for the same price as this crappy 6 cylinder

t2p
03/23/2004, 06:26 AM
SPAZZ .....
if anything, lower gearing (change to 4:56 from 4.30) would/should increase your fuel consumption ........
???

Maverick
03/23/2004, 06:39 AM
i average about 16mpg combined driving give or take about 10% depending on traffic patterns. the only change ive made from stock is a k&n and mobil 1 oil. i use "plus" grade gas (89 ) more to ensure i get cleaner gas than for the octane rating (for the extra $2 a tank its well worth it to me.) im tuned to factory specs....check my tire pressure regularly ( this can make a big difference) , etc... and i generally drive fairly hard , i think i could do better if i babied it , but the vx seems to like to be pushed a bit.. ;Db;

VX_PA
03/23/2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by t2p
SPAZZ .....
if anything, lower gearing (change to 4:56 from 4.30) would/should increase your fuel consumption ........
???

As MZ-N10 said: "the car is kinda weird". The harder you run it the better mileage it gets. Same concept with the gearing, not much about the VX is rational. Just something you get used to.:D

Triathlete
03/23/2004, 08:12 AM
Ummm, Spazz also has much larger than stock tires, so the gearing would help!:thumbup: