PDA

View Full Version : New Chrome Wheels Warranty!!

drdavidr4u
03/16/2004, 03:44 PM
:)
I love my new shinny chrome rims!!
Yes, they replaced the peeling ones w/out even a question. Brought in my 2001 VX in with 15,000 mi and the warranty good till 11/04. The Izuzu rep looked at them and that was that.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW....mine were only peeling on the inside of the rim and it had NOT peeled on the outside yet.

Check your rims!!!!

SO...ANY OF YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM AND SOME WARRANTY TIME LEFT GET THAT VX IN THERE NOW!!!!

They also tried to glue new headlight gaskets on the lamps but I assume that will not last long. Actually they did one and somehow overlooked the other light!!! It has no gasket at all!!! Thats not saying much for the service dept. The service manager was supposed to have inspected the work for me!!!!

They also fixed my failed passenger window with a new window motor and regulator.

Cheers,
Dave:)

PS...if your wondering it was Cerami/Izuzu on Rt 17 in Paramus NJ

VR4-Quest
03/19/2004, 08:25 AM
Yeah, you have to be the original owner, and have less that 15k miles, otherwise like me (20,000 + miles and second owner, your screwed).

powered by isuzu
03/19/2004, 09:50 AM
Had my wheels replaced at 28,000 miles for the same porblem no questions asked...also had the headlights replaced because of the gasket peeling off.

WyrreJ
03/19/2004, 10:10 PM
From all the reports over the years it sounds like dealers are just making up reasons to dishonor the warrantee. Without actually double-checking, I'm pretty sure that the warrantee doesn't call out the chrome wheels as having less coverage than the rest of the car.

drdavidr4u
03/20/2004, 06:52 AM
HEY MIKE...AKA VR4-Quest

I'm the second owner, have only till 11/04 on my 3 yr warranty and there is 15,000 miles on the truck!!
They replaced the chrome wheels w/out any fight or question...

you should deffinately go back to them and make sure they honor this for you!!!

cheers,

Dave

VR4-Quest
03/22/2004, 12:40 PM
Then I need to try another dealer, the Isuzu dealer in Maryland where I bought it and the one I service it here in Ohio both said only warrantied to the original owner with less than 15,000 miles (both looked into it), or maybe I need to call Isuzu.

PDOGG23
03/22/2004, 01:05 PM
I also had my rims replaced at 20,000 miles. It's covered under the original 36,000 mile Body/etc. warranty. Sounds to me like the dealer is definitely pulling your chain. After 8,000 more miles, the rims are already starting to pit! I mean, seriously.... I wipe those things down twice a week. The salt in the winter is what kills them. Next time they Pit, I'm switching to an Aluminum rim. No more Chrome.

AlaskaVX
03/22/2004, 01:10 PM
2nd owner here got mine replaced around 50,000 miles, I know I was lucky but just telling you with enough bitching to corporate Isuzu you can get it done!

BaM*BaM
03/22/2004, 01:52 PM
Man, throw those stupid looking things down the sewer, and get some wheels that actually help the VX look better.
(of course, it's just my opinion)...... Uh oh!!!!........................ http://www.red-sector.com/forums/html/emoticons/tomato.gif

t2p
03/22/2004, 02:07 PM
Has anyone reported pitting/peeling on the 'outside' (outer-most ?) part of the wheel ?
My OEM wheels are pitted and peeling on the inside .... and I am wondering if this pitting will proceed to the outside of the wheel.

AlaskaVX
03/22/2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by t2p
Has anyone reported pitting/peeling on the 'outside' (outer-most ?) part of the wheel ?
My OEM wheels are pitted and peeling on the inside .... and I am wondering if this pitting will proceed to the outside of the wheel.
As far as I now no one has had the outside peel but I know if I still had my wheels they would be getting close. I had a 2"x10" "gash" of peeling chrome on the inside. I'm sure over time it will reach the outside, but it takes a while.

powered by isuzu
03/22/2004, 04:10 PM
I put my VX in the garage in January and took all 4 wheels off washed them and then put 3 coats of wax on them. They seem to wash off better thru the winter. I kinda like the looks of the stock 18's especially when they are nice and clean and shiny;pb;

SGT.BATGUANO
03/22/2004, 07:15 PM
If you want factory wheels and can't get warranty replacements, see my "neat wheels" thread, items 2 and 3. They appear to be our wheels in chrome and also in a non pitting/ peeling brushed or painted silver finish.

Not cheap with shipping, but if you gotta have this type of wheel, it's still cheaper than buying new from a dealer.

jayfotos
03/23/2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by PDOGG23
I also had my rims replaced at 20,000 miles. It's covered under the original 36,000 mile Body/etc. warranty. Sounds to me like the dealer is definitely pulling your chain. After 8,000 more miles, the rims are already starting to pit! I mean, seriously.... I wipe those things down twice a week. The salt in the winter is what kills them. Next time they Pit, I'm switching to an Aluminum rim. No more Chrome.

Is this true?....I brought mine in, told me they called Isuzu and I was'nt covered.

I got 32k, they said I was covered up til 15k.....I also have exstended warranty. I'm getting my headlights replaced, that's covered.....weird.:confused:

SGT.BATGUANO
03/23/2004, 10:20 PM
I think the warranty mentions cosmetic items being covered for 1 yr. / 12K mi. Most dealers will try to use this as a basis for excluding the wheels.

The first option is to try a different dealer.

Different dealers seem to handle this situation differently. The fact is, the wheels are defective. The copper base plating has separated from the aluminum, why? Poor prep. and/or defective/ incompatible materials? This is not normal "cosmetic" wear for a chrome wheel and indicates an underlying problem.

You might also try directly approaching the service manager from the angle that you believe that the delamination of the chrome is related to a "structural or manufacturing defect" and that the exposed aluminum will be subjected to continued and accellerated corrosion and structural degradation, all of which calls the "safety" of the wheel(s) into question. If he says the wheels are fine, just have him put in writing, on a dated company document .

Then try a different dealer.

Maybe one of our "jailhouse lawyers" can get the actual total number of U.S. 2000 and 2001 wheels that have been warrantied via a "freedom of info" filing?

jayfotos
03/23/2004, 10:40 PM
Yea, but they said they called Isuzu.....my headlights were covered, not the wheels.
If I approach my dealer saying "Hey, these guys got theirs done." and give them names of dealers and times, maybe they will take the stick out of their butt.

Ok......anyone here that got there wheels changed out with more than 30k please step up.

Maybe I'll call Isuzu myself and raise a little hell.......

(I'm good at that)
http://www.ericdarrah.com/sigs/Wolfman1.gif

SGT.BATGUANO
03/23/2004, 10:46 PM
Definitely call Isuzu yourself.

While you have 'em on the phone see if they'll give you the name/ number of the regional service manager and an appointment for him to examine your wheels personally.

VR4-Quest
03/24/2004, 10:23 AM
I called the 1-800 number yesterday for warranty claims. My dealer had told me the same thing, they are only covered up to 15,000 miles. I asked why other were geeting wheels replaced and not some like me. He is checking into it and will let me know what he finds. He agreed that it should be covered if you read the wording of the warranty statement, but said he doesnt now of a case where they have neen covered. I'm gonna keep screaming. There is also another 1-800 number for a second party claim rectification campany that is provided in our user manuals. It says to use this as a last resort.....I think I might have to!

jayfotos
03/24/2004, 11:19 AM
I called as well, he said I'm covered up 50k!

Told him about my window stuff as well, he's looking into all of it and is going to get back to me.

He was a VX owner as well.....nice! ;Db;

mrtew
03/24/2004, 06:41 PM
Cool! I love the stock wheels but mine are peeling BAD! It's all on the inside and I never see it, and I'm not really worried about the safety of them, but it would be nice to get new ones that won't peel.... that's for sure. I'm at 38,500 miles. Anyone know of a dealer in Detroit that might replace them? Or is going over their head and calling Isuzu the way to go?

jayfotos
03/24/2004, 06:55 PM
We'll see, I find out when the dude calls me back. But, I would'nt be surprised if I got the brush off.

andy454
03/25/2004, 06:38 AM
Got a new set a little over a year ago and they are pitting worse than the first set. Time for something different for me.

t2p
03/25/2004, 07:06 AM
I know it may be *very* expensive ..........
but I was wondering if anyone looked into having the OEM wheels 're-chromed' by a chrome plating shop ......
one local shop wanted to charge me an arm-and-a-leg to re-chrome an air filter lid ....... so my guess is the cost would be too high .......
???

VR4-Quest
04/01/2004, 09:12 AM
Called the 1-800 number, a few days later, my local dealer called to set up an inspection of my wheels, and now new ones are on order. All this from the same dealer about 15,000 miles ago that said Isuzu would not cover them.
I have a 2001, second owner, with 48,000 miles. All 4 of mine where peeling and bubbling on the inside. All 4 are to be replaced.

Solution: call the 1-800 number!

edwin
04/02/2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by drdavidr4u
:)
I love my new shinny chrome rims!!
Yes, they replaced the peeling ones w/out even a question. Brought in my 2001 VX in with 15,000 mi and the warranty good till 11/04. The Izuzu rep looked at them and that was that.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW....mine were only peeling on the inside of the rim and it had NOT peeled on the outside yet.

Check your rims!!!!

SO...ANY OF YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM AND SOME WARRANTY TIME LEFT GET THAT VX IN THERE NOW!!!!

They also tried to glue new headlight gaskets on the lamps but I assume that will not last long. Actually they did one and somehow overlooked the other light!!! It has no gasket at all!!! Thats not saying much for the service dept. The service manager was supposed to have inspected the work for me!!!!

They also fixed my failed passenger window with a new window motor and regulator.

Cheers,
Dave:)

PS...if your wondering it was Cerami/Izuzu on Rt 17 in Paramus NJ

dude -
that's sweet - !
this is ed, we prob met in the last Jersey meet (by the pizza shop)
listen, mines are starting to peel inside as well!
it's a 2000 with 27k miles -
think I'm covered - ?

DaPenetrator
04/28/2004, 12:08 PM
Just got my wheels/rims (all 4) replaced today. Also got the passenger window fixed, for the time being (new regulator).

I'm the second owner and I have 33,423 miles. Both items were covered under warranty. Isuzu rep did have to authorize the rim replacement, but he did so w/o any questions.

jayfotos
04/28/2004, 01:01 PM
Now this is strange, I just got back from the dealer had my headlights replaced(rubber came off). A Isuzu rep was there, he inspected them(the rims) and said I was not covered. He said it's the 12m/15kmile would cover it, I have 32k. with a extened warrentee.

Had them look at the windows(again) and said pretty much that I was stuck with it and that's how they work.

Strange things are going on here.....it's a conspiracy I tell you!

AlaskaVX
04/28/2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jayfotos
Now this is strange, I just got back from the dealer had my headlights replaced(rubber came off). A Isuzu rep was there, he inspected them(the rims) and said I was not covered. He said it's the 12m/15kmile would cover it, I have 32k. with a extened warrentee.

Had them look at the windows(again) and said pretty much that I was stuck with it and that's how they work.

Strange things are going on here.....it's a conspiracy I tell you!
3 words- call corporate Isuzu!

jayfotos
04/28/2004, 01:34 PM
Did, twice.

AlaskaVX
04/28/2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by jayfotos
Did, twice.
Damn! Well it took me 3 calls and a lot of "Well thats just not right, I paid a lot of money for this, and this is crappy craftmanship" and eventually I must have gotten the right person on the phone because the dealer CALLED ME and told me to come in and they would honor the wheels and headlights. I was well over 40,000 miles.

jayfotos
04/28/2004, 01:44 PM
Here we go again, spoke to some one corprate Isuzu. They said if the Isuzu rep did not approve replacement, it's a done deal.

Meanwhile when I spoken to corprate before that said I was covered....

I'm baffled!

I called the dealership to speak to the rep and get some answers, not in and will call me back.....we'll see.

Deathbyarchitect
04/28/2004, 01:54 PM
Hey, DaPenetrator...

which dealer did you go to fix your window?
mine has some problems-not serious enough- but it tilts and slow.
Crystal isuzu told me they have to charge me since it's not broken so they consider it as adjustment. I'd like to try different dealer if they are not that far from me....;Dy;
they did replace my rims 3 times though. (2 & 2 & finally all 4)
and also they replaced both headlight assembly because of loose rubber gaskets. however I had to take my VX 3 times to convince them to replace rear left shock. :mad: :mad: :mad:

DaPenetrator
04/28/2004, 02:07 PM
DeathByArchitect, I went to...

Pohanka Olds/Isuzu
4601 St. Barnabas Road
Marlow Heights, MD 20748
301-423-1100

jayfotos
04/28/2004, 02:14 PM
OK, got a call from the Isuzu rep.....after polightly bickering back and forth, I'm getting one rim replaced.....though, two seem to have this problem(one worse than the other).

WyrreJ
04/28/2004, 09:44 PM
That's baloney - either they are covered or they aren't. What, does the cost to replace it come out of the rep's year-end bonus or something?

mrtew
06/23/2004, 07:42 PM
A few weeks ago when I had my oil changed I mentioned casually to my dealer's service dept guy that my rims are peeling really bad on the inside and a lot of people on the internet are getting them replaced under warrantee because it could be a safety issue as the wheels could leak or possibly even break if the corrosion goes deep enough and could he please check on it. When I picked up the truck he told me that he'd ordered 4 new rims for me and he'd call me when they came in. I got them put on today and feel like I have a new truck, especially since I debadged the other day. I am the first owner of a 2001 with 40,100 miles on it, although I had just under 40,000 when he ordered them earlier this month. Here's a picture with the shiny chrome wheels and the smooth debadged body. Click on it for the HUGE version.

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~mrtew/sDebadgedWheels.jpg (http://home.wideopenwest.com/~mrtew/DebadgedWheels.JPG)

SGT.BATGUANO
06/23/2004, 07:54 PM
Looks good, now go get 'em professionally clear coated to hopefully slow or keep the peeling from recurring.

WyrreJ
06/27/2004, 11:56 AM
If you like the debaged look, go to wal-mart and pick up 4 of their 3" (or thereabouts) diameter round convex mirrors. They are meant to go on the edge of a really big rear-view mirror, but they are just the right diameter to cover the ISUZU on the wheel hub. I stuck mine on amost 16 months ago, just using the stock double-sided tape they came with, and they still look good today. You gotta get real close up, like close enough to touch, before you realize that they are just stuck on and not part of the chrome.