PDA

View Full Version : Noobe fluid change questions

Ron Pfeiffer
03/13/2004, 05:05 AM
Hey all,
Noob needs some guidance here . . .
Getting the money together to swap out all the fluids on my VX to synthetics. I just bought her a couple of weeks ago and I want to do it as soon as I can, since I have no idea what, if anything, the previous owner had done. Its currently at 19K.
I have searched these forums till I am blue in the face, not wanting to waste anybody’s time with repetitive questions. Though I found a lot of good info, as a first timer at this am still kinda uncomfortable with actual process. With the cost of the new tires in the works too, finances say I am gonna have to do this work myself (truth be told, I want to anyway). The only thing I am farming out is the full tranny flush/synth replacement. I AM mechanically inclined, but this is a whole new ballpark for me . . .
So, would anybody with experience or a service manual be kind enough to post a BRIEF blow-by-blow of what I need to do to change fluids in the diffs, TOD, and tranny filter? Anything else I should do (oil is already done)? Or direct me to a place where such info can be had? I’d much appreciate any help anyone would care to give!

Thanks
Ron

Ron Pfeiffer
03/14/2004, 06:17 AM
Hey all,
Never mind - I found everything I need. Wanted to spare anybody wasting their time answering such a long question (I knew it wasn't an easy answer, and kinda hesitated in asking!)
Many, MANY thanks to Tone for making available a downloadable copy of the Service Manual!
I'm off the change the fluids. Now if only I had a nice smooth garage floor to lie down on instead of a gravel driveway . . . :)

Ron

MZ-N10
03/14/2004, 03:53 PM
the tranny fluids r a b*tch to change...but its a little late for tat....gl
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

SPAZZ
03/14/2004, 09:37 PM
not too hard....just put a jack under there to hold it up, drop crossmember, then drop tranny pan & clean, then drop filter, then drop that other rectangular pan(watch out that ones all over the place) & clean, put a quart in rectangular pan then hold it in place(without spilling all out)& bolt in place, then put tranny pan back on(careful not to strip out those tender 10mm bolts), then cross member back on(don't forget to put nuts back on to tranny mount bolts), and then comes the happy happy joy joy experiance of putting about 4 quarts into fill hole for tranny pan......

all in all....not too hard...just whoever came up with the idea of fillling the tranny through a hole facing up and marketing it commercially...should be shot

SPAZZ
03/15/2004, 10:58 PM
ok...was attemptimg to pump tranny fluid to fill my tranny back up with Castrol fluid from the 6 quarts I got out. my pump fell aprt and the bearing was lost...have no clue where it went...so I called my mother and she said she could go by auto parts store and get me another one...I was really needing to get my VX back in commision to go see my gf in hospital...visiting hours were from 6-8 and it was 5...my mom bought this white Valvoline pump...and the tube on it FITS PERFECTLY in tranny fill hole....all the other pumps were bigger than the hole... but this one fit inside just barely and no fluid came running back down tube and all over everything...it is great to have the right pump...now next time this job will be a breeze...

I'll ask my mother where she got it and will let all know.... it was nice to do this on my own and not need help...the tube stayed in the tranny fill hole while I pumped....the pump arrived at 6:30 and I was done by 6:50 and hauled off to the hospital...made it by 7:05(20 miles away even ;eekp; )..just intime to see gf for about a full hour

anyways...some of you can find this post pretty dirty with all this pump, hole, etc.. talk... but try to see it right... it is only talk about the Transmission...but if you really wanna think dirty...what is transmission fluid to a VX??????;Dp;

MZ-N10
03/16/2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by SPAZZ

anyways...some of you can find this post pretty dirty with all this pump, hole, etc.. talk... but try to see it right... it is only talk about the Transmission

lol...

i had my tranny fluid changed at a shop...looked like the guy had a hard time pumpin it in...it just came back out everytime he pumped
________
DEPAKOTE DEATH (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Dallas4u
03/16/2004, 08:27 AM
Funny SPAZZ... I bought one of those damn garden hose pumps that you connect to the end of your drill. I was using it to pump ATF fluid in, and within 20 minutes the thing fell apart. A clip came off that holds the main rubber sealing ring on the pump, and more fluid started coming out of the device than was going in.

I went to AutoZone and bought a large metal syringe, I guess used for pumping grease or something... whatever it is SUPPOSE to be used for, it works GREAT for filling fluids. It was in a plain, clear plasitc wrapping... nothing fancy. No brand name, just a black metal syringe.

SPAZZ
03/16/2004, 07:26 PM
ok found package for that pump...

VALVOLINE pn# VV816

GREAT FOR Tranny fluid...fits perfectly in transmission fill hole...will stay in while you pump....and fluid does not come running out...only bad thing about that would be you have to pump a couple times...pull out...see if it overflows out...then put it back in...then pump a couple times....then...etc...... ;eekp;

now...what exactly is transmission fluid to a VX

;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp; ;Dp;