PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed- roof rack

Kahuna
03/12/2004, 05:41 PM
Several of you have Yakima roof racks on your VX's. When I try to talk to them they just send me to the website. Only problem is I don't know what I'm looking for. HERE IS MY QUESTION-----What model number/name. Do I need any accesories? If so, which one.
help...HelP...HELP!

NC_VX
03/12/2004, 08:03 PM
dang, I know the feeling. I went with the Yakima Load Warrior. Nothing bigger because the roof space is so small anyway. To accessorize I bought two BOA bike mounts, two Wheel Forks and the Powder Hound for my snowboards. I can have everything but mounted at once too, and I keep it all attached and then pull the whole basket off when I am not using it. Its a pretty sweet set-up if you can see yourself needing the basket, like that is what I will be getting to hold my spare... If you don't see yourself needing the basket, check out the Pirhana Fork Mount: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3180&highlight=bike+mount

SPAZZ
03/12/2004, 08:21 PM
just ask for a LOAD WARRIOR, LOAD WARRIOR EXTENSION, AND LOCKS FOR THE LOAD WARRIOR...the locks come in a bag with 2 locks...so you would need 2 bags for a quantity of 4 locks

tell them ignore what vehicle it is for because they don't have yours in their books......just tell them to give you a LOAD WARRIOR, LOAD WARRIOR EXTENSION, AND LOCKS FOR THE LOAD WARRIOR.

coachreed
03/13/2004, 07:40 AM
I'm just curious... those of you with the baskets... do you really use them? What all do you use them for? How much have you loaded on/in them? I can see a need/want for them since the VX has such limited luggage space... it just drives me NUTZ to see all of these OVERSIZED SUC (Sports Utility Cars) like suburbans with TONS of space inside... yet they have a rook mounted basket that will NEVER get used... and why do they put it on there?! Because it looks kewl? I don' tknow... ok... I digressed... I've had a hard time focusing lately... I would like a rook rack basket myself... I'm just curious how much it can actually hold though. The stock rack has a weight limit listed on it... not very much from what I recall.. but don't remember just how much. I need a place to put a full size spare of 35" when its all said and done... thats probably gonna soak up MOST of the space in a basket... and probably most of the weight too. So how much do you load on it?

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Coversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

kpaske
03/13/2004, 08:04 AM
I've got the Yakima Load Warrior (with extension) and I usually only use it to hold my 33" spare tire. It does take up quite a bit of space, but there is still enough to throw a few duffel bags up there (and even more if you throw some stuff on top of the tire and hold it all down with the Stretch Net). In actuality though, I've only loaded it down a couple of times when I was moving around the country, when I had the entire back of the VX stuffed with my possessions, plus another 200 or 250 lbs worth of stuff packed in the Load Warrior on the roof. Most of the time though, it's just there for good looks. ;Db;

johnnyapollo
03/13/2004, 08:22 AM
From the way Kahuna worded the question, it almost sounds like the racks are missing? The Ironman came with the racks, but since it was bought second-hand, someone may have taken them off. If so, you get the racks from an Isuzu Dealer or better yet, from Merlin at St Charles Isuzu (free shipping plus a web discount).

I just recently bought BigMike's load warrior and extension, but I haven't mounted it yet.

-- Best, John

SPAZZ
03/13/2004, 08:57 AM
sounds like he is getting the treatment I got when I started looking for a basket. Yakima sold the rights of the VX to Isuzu, so nothing they have should fit...you should have to go directly through Isuzu to get all accessories for the VX. So Yakima doesn't advertise anything for the VX.

When I went to my local Bike Shop and tried to get a Yakima Load Warrior....the people kept asking..."What year make and model"...and "Oh it's not in any of Yakima's catalogs, it won't fit"...."We don't want to order it if it won't fit" etc.......

all you need to do is say "I want a Load Warrior, Extension, and 2 bags of locks for it" ...........THERE DONE.......

I use mine for my 32" spare.....can carry another one if done right....haualed furniture(Desks, shelves, entertainement centers, beds, mattresses, etc), spare rims, boxes when moving, my Big Powderhound holds 4 snowboards or 8 pairs of skiis, and just about anything else you could stick up there..... and with something cushiony and the right girl........... ;Dp; it can be very useful..............

NC_VX
03/13/2004, 01:07 PM
Coach,

You're crazy! I like that! I don't have the picture to post yet, but you wanna hear somethign funny? I put a couch on my Load Warrior this weekend. thats right, a couch! I bought a crap load of home stuff at Ikea in DC and had to get it to Chapel Hill, and it made it!!!

Other things I carry when the couch isn't there: Yakima Weather Proof bag holds all my camping gear when I go cross country (once a year to Utah) as my dog gets the back to himself (seats folded down with storage box offers flat surface) and then I also load all my wet snowboarding gear with the tie downs after snowboarding and then sometimes i put my climbing backpack up there when I have cleaned the car and I don't want chalk and dirt all over it. HOWEVER, 90% of the time the rack isn't even on. I keep the crossbars (standard roof bars) attached to the basket and pull the whole thing off when I am not using it for these purposes. I may change that, as I am considering the Pirhana bike mount as an alternative to my Boa ones I use on the basket.

Thats all!