PDA

View Full Version : Wreck in Kansas City

Lori
03/11/2004, 07:09 AM
Hey folks -

While out of town on business, I had a wreck last
Friday. Once again our VX was a real life saver.

I was hit hard on driver's side, and my VX took a quarter spin.
After it was all over, our two SUVs were nose to nose,
in the median of a busy parkway.

I whopped the left side of my head on my window.
(Thought I was ok, since the window didn't break!)

Five days later, feeling crappy, I went to the ER. I
have a "small brain bleed." Doc says to just rest,
which is what I'm doing.

The damage is minor. I've posted pics in my Gallery.
(Wreck1 and Wreck2 are the titles.)

Lori

Navigator
03/11/2004, 07:31 AM
Looking at your pic, what you have is more of a dent than a wreck. You should have no trouble getting that knocked out and the damaged cladding replaced. The VX did come out better than the Land Rover. That concussion may sting for a while, allways get a full medical exam after an accident, even doctors can't fully examine themselves to deterine if all is OK. You're a survivor. Both you and your VX will be back to 100% in no time :luck:.

VX_PA
03/11/2004, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash. Rest up and try not to think.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting pics of both the VX and the Rover. Man the VX is tough, very little damage compared to the Rover. It even had a brush guard to prevent damage and it still sustained more than your VX. Still it's no fun having a dented ride, good luck with the repairs.;)

azskyrider
03/11/2004, 08:26 AM
Lori,

I am assuming that you had a Cat Scan done.
I am glad to hear you are okay. No need to worry but FYI head injuries can happen even if you don't necessarily hit your head against something. The force of having your brain moved around can bruise it and swell.Quick blunt movements are worse than a progressive movement. You want to get checked up routinely for safe measure.

Cheers

nocturnalVX
03/11/2004, 08:35 AM
I'm glad you are O.K. and that your VX isn't too badly hurt either. Hope you both are 100% soon!

Anita
03/11/2004, 10:44 AM
Lori,

Get the right medical tests to make sure everything is okay. I had a similar accident in my Karmann Ghia and the concussion made me feel as though I was a little drunk.. lasted for awhile. :rollr: Seriously, make sure you are okay. Good to see the VX handling a Landrover so well. ;Dr;

carlymac
03/11/2004, 11:57 AM
Lori,
I got your email and am glad to hear you went for the extra testing. Take the doctors advice and rest, along with a follow up. If theres anything we can do just say the word. Hope you can visit soon.
I'll keep you in my prayers...carl

Spy Hunter
03/11/2004, 12:21 PM
You ate that Rover for BREAKFAST! Get well soon!

Chopper
03/11/2004, 05:50 PM
A little brain damage is not always a horrible thing, you only use 10% anyway, right? We don' need no stinkin' weak brain cells! Love ya...... feel better.

gruven
03/11/2004, 07:34 PM
Lori,

Glad to hear you are OK. Rest up and be thankful- nothing like a little reality burst to put a fresh perspective on things...

Take it easy & give a scratch to your canines for me.

-gruven:supercool

Lori
03/11/2004, 07:42 PM
I feel better already... thanks to all my VX friends for the
nice emails.

Doc says I have a subdural hematoma, a very slow-bleeding one
that they think can be managed at home. It's getting old
having a splitting headache and just lying around all day.
Tonight I actually feel a bit better.

BTW, the insurance company wants me to choose a body
shop and cut me the check for repairs. It is hard to think right
now, but here's my question: How do I choose a body shop?
I was just going to go with the big dealership in town (not
an Isuzu dealer) . Or should I ask for Merlin at St. Charles and
drive 1.5 hours to get my VX fixed?

I wish I could meet you guys and put faces with names, but
for now you all just exist in my jostled brain.

thanks again, lori

Heraclid
03/11/2004, 08:20 PM
Really glad you're okay. I know I'd be a bit freaked out if anyone told me my brain was bleeding. Take care, okay?

From everything I've heard about St. Charles, you're blessed to be so close to them and they're well worth the time. Maybe if someone could help you drop it off that would be best, if you feel the least bit like you shouldn't drive.

Joe_Black
03/12/2004, 05:48 AM
Just saw this Lori, glad to hear you're okay (besides the annoying headache!) and that the Foxfire isn't beat up too bad. Our thoughts'll be with ya for a quick recovery and flawless repair!

Lori
04/12/2004, 11:35 AM
The reason my dent cannot get fixed:

Apparently, under the new piece of cladding goes a
"flare seal," and this is on "national back order"
according to my body shop guy.

See Wreck1 in gallery for pic.

Any suggestions/comments on this "flare seal" problem
would be appreciated.

Lori

SGT.BATGUANO
04/12/2004, 07:27 PM
"Flare seal", huh. Only thing I can see that might not be reuseable from your VX is the piece of double-sided tape that holds and "seals" the top of the cladding.

Probably body shop "double talk" for "they don't want to do it right now". Get the part number in question.

Spike
04/14/2004, 07:25 AM
Flare seal: It hides in the back of the VX (not unlike a trunk monkey)... and when you have an accident, he hops out and holds up a flare to prevent other cars from rear ending you at night...

Lori, yes please take it easy until the doc puts you in the clear.
I assume you are seeing a neurologist?

I had a head injury in 89. Victim of someone who ran a red light.
Everything seemed okay from the X-rays that night.

I didnt even have a bump or cut after having my head break through the rear passenger side window.

But later on, I realised that I was really struggling in college. (after just getting on the deans list)

I went for about 9 hours of psychological testing, and about 3 or 4 hours of neurological tests. Whie nothing was coming up wrong with the neuro tests, we found out that I actually had a severe reduction in short term memory, shortened attention span and my IQ dropped about 20-30 points since previous test 5 yrs prior.
It was NOT fun, but it put everything into perspective about what actually had happened to me, and what I had to do to bounce back.

Please take care of yourself and do what you have to do get the best prognosis.

Lori
09/02/2004, 07:51 PM
If you go to the very first message on this thread, you will see the accident described. Two pictures in my Gallery show the damage to my VX and his Land Rover.

I went to renew my insurance last week, thinking that we had "shared" the blame (as I was led to believe) for the wreck. NOT!!

I recall that as I was turning left from the left lane of a multi-lane road, he decided to pass me on the left by using the median area. He said I was turning left from the middle lane, and he was just using the left-most lane to pass. Apparently, he (a lawyer) had better persuasive skills.

So I learned that his repairs, in the end (and after several trips to the shop,) totalled nearly $7000. YES, SEVEN thousand dollars. (My repair cost $950. ) This large claim earned my several "merit points," which really should be called "de-merit points," and my premium increased considerably.

So I changed companies. The new insurance agency did thier usual searches (as I was hoping for the best) and found nothing against me (as I was not ticketed in the accident.) My premium stayed the same.

In the meantime I'm still reeling from the shock of the cost to repair his car... almost thinking it may be a case of fraud?!

SachaK
09/03/2004, 11:04 AM
Man, look at the difference on the SUVs!

Vx just a dent and the Land Rover is busted up!!

This is a true example of what the VXs are all about!! True quality and built to with stand more than others!!

:D Sachak