View Full Version : Introduce yourself here!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Plannin
06/10/2013, 01:54 PM
Hi all; Andrew here. Just joined yesterday as I'm looking to buy a VX of my own. I know there are so many threads , and have already read through of a few of what to look for when buying one, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything (within reason, of course).

I'm no stranger to annoying car problems (as a current owner of a Mercury Mountaineer [aka Explorer]) nor am I too shy about what I drive (my first car was a Dodge Dakota sport convertible [still own it]), so I feel somewhat comfortable in what I may be getting myself into. That said, I know that I don't know very much; so if there are some important points, links to threads, or anything that might get me pointed in the right direction, it would be well appreciated. I don't want to make anyone repeat themselves any more than they might have already!

Maddawg
06/10/2013, 05:41 PM
Hi all; Andrew here. Just joined yesterday as I'm looking to buy a VX of my own. I know there are so many threads , and have already read through of a few of what to look for when buying one, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything (within reason, of course).

I'm no stranger to annoying car problems (as a current owner of a Mercury Mountaineer [aka Explorer]) nor am I too shy about what I drive (my first car was a Dodge Dakota sport convertible [still own it]), so I feel somewhat comfortable in what I may be getting myself into. That said, I know that I don't know very much; so if there are some important points, links to threads, or anything that might get me pointed in the right direction, it would be well appreciated. I don't want to make anyone repeat themselves any more than they might have already!
Hi Andrew!
Give us a hint as to how you will be using your VX when and if you buy one. 100% pavement, 100% off-road or a percentage of both? Briefly this car handles best on pavement, not to say that it is a horror story off-road. It is a truck and is a stiff riding baby as delivered from the factory. Most of us have done suspension mods to suit our individual tastes. Be prepared to spend a bit more for gas and oil because of it being a full time 4 wheel drive. Personally that doesn't bother me because I love the uniqueness of the car. Being that it has a gazillion sensors you will be kept busy to a degree when they act erratically, but you can find plenty of help in here. So, go for it! Happy hunting!

VX KAT
06/11/2013, 12:31 AM
Welcome to the forum plannin! Got just what you need!

Since this is a group of enthusiasts we put together a pretty detailed checklist/questionnaire very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.
We thought a prospective buyer would be interested in this so you know what to ask about/look for.
Pick and choose what you want from it.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=252124&postcount=24

Good luck in your search.
Always a bunch of helpful people to answer questions too! :wave:

Maddawg
06/11/2013, 08:10 AM
Welcome to the forum plannin! Got just what you need!

Since this is a group of enthusiasts we put together a pretty detailed checklist/questionnaire very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.
We thought a prospective buyer would be interested in this so you know what to ask about/look for.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Good one Kat

Mark C
06/12/2013, 08:39 PM
Hello! I'm Mark from south Atlanta, GA. I have always admired the VX, but just recently started thinking about owning one myself. As a DeLorean owner/enthusiast, I am drawn to quirky, unique vehicles. My daily driver is a '10 FJ Cruiser, which I am trying to sell. I have started the search for my first VX, and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and advice on this forum.

tom4bren
06/13/2013, 05:13 AM
Welcome Mark & good luck with your search.

Cobrajet
06/13/2013, 01:11 PM
Hello! I'm Mark from south Atlanta, GA. I have always admired the VX, but just recently started thinking about owning one myself. As a DeLorean owner/enthusiast, I am drawn to quirky, unique vehicles. My daily driver is a '10 FJ Cruiser, which I am trying to sell. I have started the search for my first VX, and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and advice on this forum.

Sharpsburg, huh? My daughter just moved out of Sharpsburg. I used to visit about once a year, but you probably never saw my Proton VX because I didn't drive it much while there. My ex-wife still owns the house on Braves Crossing Ct in Sharpsburg. I own a house (rental) in Newnan. Small world!

Mark C
06/13/2013, 01:49 PM
Sharpsburg, huh? My daughter just moved out of Sharpsburg. I used to visit about once a year, but you probably never saw my Proton VX because I didn't drive it much while there. My ex-wife still owns the house on Braves Crossing Ct in Sharpsburg. I own a house (rental) in Newnan. Small world!

Small world indeed - I live just a mile north of Braves Crossing Ct. on the same road (Fischer)! Nope, I don't recall seeing a Proton around here yet. I was wondering if there is any sort of Atlanta or Southeast owner's group with tech sessions or meetups that I could attend to learn more before taking the plunge - or even a generous local owner who would like to introduce me to theirs.

VX KAT
06/13/2013, 02:27 PM
Small world indeed - I live just a mile north of Braves Crossing Ct. on the same road (Fischer)! Nope, I don't recall seeing a Proton around here yet. I was wondering if there is any sort of Atlanta or Southeast owner's group with tech sessions or meetups that I could attend to learn more before taking the plunge - or even a generous local owner who would like to introduce me to theirs.

Here's a list of all members in GA, of course many are not active. But you can glance at the "last visit" and see if they might be active.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/memberlist.php?do=getall

I can think of one member that's really knowledgeable in Atlanta!
~johnnyapollo - johnny is an original owner and knows tons and tons AND TONS of info and has an amazingly detailed website: http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/

and blog:
http://vehicross.blogspot.com

Mark C
06/13/2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks VX KAT!

VX KAT
06/13/2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks VX KAT!

:thumbup:

Might also want to check out the questionnaire:

MoxRox99
06/14/2013, 09:03 PM
Hello All,
I just purchased a 99 Astral. I purchased it in Boston and flew my oldest (18) and his best friend up to pick it up and drive it back to its new home in St Pete Beach,FL. Only 76k and looks great...one owner who took good care of her.

Boys made it home safe and sound after nights in Boston, NYC, DC and Savannah. Not bad for a graduation road trip in a VX.

Only burned 1/4 qt in 950 mi so I am happy. Still going to try some of the suggestions here to see if I can cut that to zero. Looking forward to reading and posting on here. Glad this site is done so well. Bill

Mark C
06/26/2013, 09:32 PM
Just to update on my previous posts, today I purchased a 2000 Dragon Green VX #432. It has some issues (ABS light, check engine light, cracked windshield, etc), but I'll get it sorted out. And so, our adventure begins...

tom4bren
06/27/2013, 04:24 AM
Grats

Maddawg
06/27/2013, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Mark C;283077]Just to update on my previous posts, today I purchased a 2000 Dragon Green VX #432. It has some issues (ABS light, check engine light, cracked windshield, etc), but I'll get it sorted out. And so, our adventure begins...[/QUO

Had the same three problems. ABS light (don't care), Check engine light (replaced gas cap), Cracked windshield (don't care). You might try the same, lol.

chet1185
06/29/2013, 03:08 AM
hello everyone, I currently do not own a vx but I am going to hopefully be buying on within a week. Saw one one day coming home from work for sale. Thought it was awesome. I own a 95 trans am and a 95 Z28 and when I test drove the VX I loved it.

Hope to meet and chat with everyone.

northpaw
06/30/2013, 08:51 PM
Guess its time to say hi. Been lurking here taking notes for almost a week after finding out the first vx I had ever seen was for sale. Long story short I am now the owner of a 99 Ironman. Already going through some growing pains with windows and a previous lift that didnt agree so well with the front axle but I am having fun learning. Had it at shop the other day getting new tires. Parked next to an Audi R8, a pretty exotic ride I'll admit. I hear the mechanic laughing and I look out to see three people standing in the parking lot with their butts to the Audi, all looking over the vx. This is going to be a fun lil adventure.

tom4bren
07/01/2013, 03:49 AM
Welcome fellers. Hope you both enjoy VX ownership ... & bein part of the fambly!

Espritmike
07/03/2013, 10:46 PM
Hello all,
Being a "gear head" since 15 and have owned my own auto shop since 1995, I am slowly buying all the cars I always wanted. I had an '87 Suzuki Samurai that in 13 years went from stock to 5" lift, ARB air lockers, 5:1 ratio transfer case, P/S, Sidekick 16V EFI motor with an intercooled T-25 turbo etc, etc. I spent over $20k trying to make the Sami as good as a VX, and it never would be as nice a ride (although probably a better rock crawler).

bartmanS4
07/04/2013, 01:18 PM
Welcome Mike! Congrats on the proton.
Scott

dbrack14
07/06/2013, 01:17 PM
I have always wanted a vehicross, and i finally have the opportunity to buy one
In dragon green with only 31000 miles. With all of the problems the car seems to have, i wonder if i should follow through. Currently has stuck cd, new rims b/c old would not hold air, and windows do not work, not a motor issue.
So, big question, be ause i think its one of the coolest vehicles of its time, should i do it? Thanks for your insight and experience.

JoFotoz
07/06/2013, 01:36 PM
31,000 is great..depending on where its from and how its been maintained.
(Rust? .. service history? ... general upkeep?)

CD player issues are normal...they often fail/eat discs !

Window issues are normal.... retro fit window tabs are available to fix the issue.

OEM rim issues not unusual..flaking chrome and pinhole air leaks are known.

If these are the only issues...depending on price and overall condition...
...it could be a good one.

The cost of fixes you mention ...
CD depends on your audiophile level !
Window tabs , about $75 ( parts & glue) if you do it yourself...
....maybe $200 if a garage does it with parts you supply from this contact :-
www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.html

Any pics..other info you have would help.

Jo

VX KAT
07/06/2013, 01:57 PM
Ditto everything Jo said above. If it's not rusty, and no other big problems, sounds fantastic. Those issues you mentioned are a piece of cake, really, when you love a car as much as we all love this thing!

Have you seen the "new buyer questionnaire" thing we put together? It'll give you some more areas to check out on it.
Don't freak out when you open it, just pick and choose from the questionnaire! :thumbup:

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Mile High VX
07/06/2013, 04:54 PM
If you don't pull the trigger tell me where it is and then I'll have two...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

lbrady
07/11/2013, 10:38 PM
Hey guys, I live on an island named Guam out in the middle of the Pacific and my dad gave me his 2001 Ironman a few days ago for my birthday. Its one good looking machine. Im loving it so far other than a few window problems. And theres a proton yellow one out here too. Its been sitting in the same apartment complex for quite some time though.

yellowgizmo99
07/12/2013, 05:06 AM
My son-in-law and daughter are there also, he is in Air Force, they are getting ready to go to his next station soon. They will be in the Azores(sp), before Guam it was Oklahoma, don't get to see them much.

hk9151
07/12/2013, 09:32 PM
Hi y'all. I have had my red vx for 6 years. Just decided to join. I have been thinking of selling. Thought this would be a good place to start....maybe...

yellowgizmo99
07/13/2013, 04:59 AM
it's a good place to be talked out of it.haha

dbrack14
07/14/2013, 11:42 PM
After about 4 years of searching, I finally purchased my first VX. How ironic that it was only less than 2 hours away. Its perfect, well as perfect as the engineers made the VX. Windows not working, 6 disc cd changer not working, but hey, I knew going into the sale. But I was so excited to find what I feel is a perfect vx with 31000 miles on it. Yes 31000. I think I am heaven!!! Well because I am giving up my 1991 honda civic hatchback, I think I can drive over that little car now. I could never imagine sitting in a VX and just loving everything about it. But I feel like one of the luckiest guys. I am just happy my wife understands my midlife crisis, but hey, Why Not.:)

tom4bren
07/15/2013, 04:38 AM
Grats ... & welcome to the fambly.

UltrAsoniC89
07/16/2013, 01:50 PM
looking for a front grill?

driggersyanira
07/17/2013, 02:30 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Yani and i am brand spanking new here. i came across this page and thought it was awesome specially because i am looking for parts and had no luck finding them unless i pay cucu bucks too. I love my vehicross. nobody in my town has one so i think is the coolest thing that i am the only with such an awesome vehicle. and i love when people stare at it or ask me what the hell is that?... Right now i been on a mission to find a hood insert. if anybody has one for sale or can point me in the right direction where i can find one please and thank you. it will be greatly appreciated...seats will be next.

tom4bren
07/17/2013, 05:13 AM
looking for a front grill?

sonic,

You're better off starting a thread for what you are looking for rather than having it buried in the Intro Thread.

Try going to your local boneyard & letting them try their magical nationwide search for one for you. Unfortunately my original one was busted in the accident so the new (to me) one that came with the bumper cover is in use. IIRC VX KAT had one (with a small crack) for sale a while back. Send her a PM to see if she still has it.

Tom

Hello Everyone,

My name is Yani and i am brand spanking new here. i came across this page and thought it was awesome specially because i am looking for parts and had no luck finding them unless i pay cucu bucks too. I love my vehicross. nobody in my town has one so i think is the coolest thing that i am the only with such an awesome vehicle. and i love when people stare at it or ask me what the hell is that?... Right now i been on a mission to find a hood insert. if anybody has one for sale or can point me in the right direction where i can find one please and thank you. it will be greatly appreciated...seats will be next.

drigger,

Welcome to the family.

Again, start a thread for what you are looking for rather than burying it in the intros.

I have an extra insert but it's got the ubiquitous crack in it. I hung onto it to try to repair & then LineX as a spare but I really don't need it. Lemme know by Private Message if you're interested.

Tom

GPA
07/25/2013, 04:50 PM
First of all, big "thank you" to everyone for sharing on this forum. I have been lurking for a few weeks now and have learned so much.
I just received my 2001 Ironman VX today (94k miles), which I purchased "sight-unseen" from Virginia Beach, VA. Luckily, she is pretty close to what the seller advertised. I am very happy with the vehicle overall.
Prior to the purchase, I did some research on this VX and also spoke with a mechanic shop in VA that had done some work on her a short time ago. The mechanic shop had a favorable review of the VX.
About me:
Name: Greg
Profession: Independent Used Vehicle Dealer
Why I bought a VX: (Familiar story, I'm sure) Wanted one when they came out....couldn't afford at the time....kinda forgot about the VX over the years cause I never see them! Decided to fulfill my dream of ownership now that I have the means.
That's about it.
Will post pics soon.
Looking forward to contributing to this forum (already have financially, but hope to offer some helpful input regarding the VX soon! :winkgray:)

tom4bren
07/26/2013, 05:01 AM
Welcome to the family GPA.

Yah, that story is quite similar to many members here.:)

Hope you enjoy driving your VX as much as you dreamed you would.

IsuzuJay
08/04/2013, 11:15 PM
Hi. My name is Jay and I just bought a 2000 Proton Vehicross last week. This one, in fact: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24633

It has some problems, and I've been working my way through them, with help from some of the posts here.

AZOutlaw
08/06/2013, 09:00 PM
Hi, My name is Matt, got my VX out in Lancaster, CA back in 2008. Recently came to point where I debated selling it or putting time and $ in to fix things that are starting to go bad/need work. I am not very experienced at working on my VX but trying to learn so that I can keep it and maintain it myself. Anyone in the Phx or Chandler, AZ area that would like to lend a hand/advice, I could definitely use it. Would love to get it back to trail-ready to go to a meet out in AZ sometime.

VehiCrow
08/08/2013, 01:30 AM
Hi all,
First off by letting me thank you all! You all helped me find the right VX.
I grew up on a Reservation in Montana. (might be first full blooded Native to own one?)
Moved here to Gilroy,CA (stinkin garlic capital of the world) in 99.

New owner of an 01 Ironman. (loving every second of it)
Picked it up in Sacramento,CA. 126k and counting. No history on it and no luck searching. It's stock except for aftermarket stereo/speakers.

Look forward to the journey with you all.

UltrAsoniC89
08/11/2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks Tom it would be a rare find in a bone yard and if i did find one i think i take it home with me or at the very least try and buy it.

UltrAsoniC89
08/11/2013, 07:46 AM
Also i like to say Hello to all the Maryland people and everyone visits this site like to meet everyone for a VX party at one of the local parks.

VX KAT
08/11/2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks Tom it would be a rare find in a bone yard and if i did find one i think i take it home with me or at the very least try and buy it.

Contact these guys, they all have many parts they're selling:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24301

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23895

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24505

mlittle59
08/12/2013, 06:20 AM
I have a chance to buy a 1999 VX w/ 110,000 mi on it. It's an original owner vehicle for $5000. It runs great now but am I looking at expensive repairs down the road? - thanks

mlittle59
08/12/2013, 06:23 AM
You can also email me at mlittle.mail@insightbb.com with any helpful suggestions...

- thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a chance to buy a 1999 VX w/ 110,000 mi on it. It's an original owner vehicle for $5000. It runs great now but am I looking at expensive repairs down the road? - thanks

tom4bren
08/12/2013, 06:32 AM
Anyone in the Phx or Chandler, AZ area that would like to lend a hand/advice, I could definitely use it. Would love to get it back to trail-ready to go to a meet out in AZ sometime.

Welcome. Use the search function on the home page to try to find members near you (members from the drop down, click on advanced & then on the next page you can put in city and/or state.)

Look forward to the journey with you all.

Grats on finding the right VX for you & welcome to the family.

Also i like to say Hello to all the Maryland people and everyone visits this site like to meet everyone for a VX party at one of the local parks.

I was thinking about a 'fix it' party at my place in November. I'll keep you posted.

Welcome to the family. As with any used vehicle purchase, it's completely 'luck of the draw'. We'll be hoping that you found a good one & that there are no expensive repairs waiting for you. The best advice is to spend time reading through the forums to find any kind of preventative maintenance that is unique to the VX (such as checking your oil at every fueling, cleaning/replacing your PCV at every oil change, regular CV boot inspection ....). Just let us know if you have any issues & we'll help you to find the most reasonable solution.

PontiacPureBred
08/21/2013, 12:23 PM
I have been requested to introduce myself here. So HI Everybody! (a little Dr Nick humor sorry)

I have not as yet gotten a VX though I am looking, there's a few here in the KC area for sale at the moment (never even seen one for sale local prior to this). I have lurked here for several years looking at the mods and and updates (and the pictures). I have loved the VX for a while, it speaks to my performance background but also gives me a great option for offroading and of course something to drive in the KC winters instead of my 2005 GTO. :)

Looking for tips and what to look for and what to watch out for when buying and test driving one of these beasts.

Thanks all!
S

VX KAT
08/21/2013, 12:47 PM
Looking for tips and what to look for and what to watch out for when buying and test driving one of these beasts.

Thanks all!
S
The oil consumption is probably one of the most important issues to ask about. Officially, to cover their butts, Isuzu issued a TSB advising that 1 qt/1000 miles was considered "normal".

Overheating seems to have become a VERY common problem in the past year or two. Most report it only occurs when A/C is on, air temp is very hot, and stop/go traffic. Frequently, it's been the fan clutch that was the culprit, and resolved the problem when replaced (for me included). So I'd ask about that.

You mentioned you found the questionnaire, that's a great start.
Did you come across the "expanded" questionnaire? It goes a bit further into detail and is better organzied/grouped.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=256908&postcount=2

PontiacPureBred
08/21/2013, 12:55 PM
The oil consumption is probably one of the most important issues to ask about. Officially, to cover their butts, Isuzu issued a TSB advising that 1 qt/1000 miles was considered "normal".

Overheating seems to have become a VERY common problem in the past year or two. Most report it only occurs when A/C is on, air temp is very hot, and stop/go traffic. Frequently, it's been the fan clutch that was the culprit, and resolved the problem when replaced (for me included). So I'd ask about that.

You mentioned you found the questionnaire, that's a great start.
Did you come across the "expanded" questionnaire? It goes a bit further into detail and is better organzied/grouped.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=256908&postcount=2

Yep that's the one I have sent to two sellers, they both hate me now. :) (One said he was familiar with the boards and actually bought his through someone here - that gave me some reason for optimism)
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3986653081.html

I will watch out for the issues mentioned here and in the other thread I started, of course with regard to overheating ... I have owned a lot of big engine Pontiacs, and I have dealt with those issues ALOT. I will probably go bigger aluminum radiator and electric fans (unless there's no room for that stuff.)

With the new GTOs Pontiac was bad about CYA TSBs too, so I am familiar with that insanity as well, does not take away from a good, fun ride.

VX KAT
08/21/2013, 01:05 PM
I will watch out for the issues mentioned here and in the other thread I started, of course with regard to overheating ... I have owned a lot of big engine Pontiacs, and I have dealt with those issues ALOT. I will probably go bigger aluminum radiator and electric fans (unless there's no room for that stuff.)

I happen to know a bit about big aluminum radiators in a VX ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20866&highlight=aluminum+radiator

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20543&highlight=aluminum+radiator

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22745&highlight=aluminum+radiator

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22533&highlight=aluminum+radiator

Newthings sold his VX, but LittleBeast just installed his last month (as well as an electric fan set up).
That's the only three I know of in a VX.

krdgc70
08/23/2013, 03:42 PM
Hey all!
finally after 20 years since I first saw a picture of the VX in an article in the USA today rag, i finally own one. long story short, my Dad and I both loved the look of the VX, he bought this one in 2002 with 105 miles on it for 25k, i helped him find it, but could'nt afford to own it myself. drove 300 miles to get it and he gave me the first test drive! loved it then and still do. Pops decided it was time to pass the vx baton.
Now that its mine i intend to do lots of upgrades. been following the forum for months and have read lots of great info and stories, glad to be part of the owners club!

tom4bren
08/23/2013, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the family krdgc. Interesting story ... there's a couple of other owners who inherited their VX ... but not many.

krdgc70
08/23/2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the intro! yeah been watching the poor thing degrade over the last decade... the old man was never one for maintenance unfortunately.
I just finished reading the forum on the upgraded hitch mount. any word on the future of that project? seems the welder has suffered a tough year.
new to the whole forum thing, trying to figure out the nuances...

ncvxfixup
08/28/2013, 08:13 PM
Use this thread to introduce yourself to the rest of the club.
Even if you are just lurking, this is an important thread. Tell us a litle about yourself and your experience in finding your VX.
While you are at it, select what you are driving here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28)

Note:You will be able to reply to this thread but, you will not be able to respond to anyone else's. No photo's are allowed
Hi everyone! I found my vehicross through craigslist not more than 20 miles from my house. He was a bit battered some missing bits, scratched and has a funny sound about him. I saw the TOD and thought I should call the little truck todd. I was recovering from a bad car accident(55+45 head on) almost died but recovering great now. I am living in the app mountains of NW North Carolina. Todd handles the mountains great, always plenty of power. My new hobby is fixing him up bit by bit. Todd and I drive daily always getting coments or stares.

tom4bren
08/29/2013, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the intro! yeah been watching the poor thing degrade over the last decade... the old man was never one for maintenance unfortunately.
I just finished reading the forum on the upgraded hitch mount. any word on the future of that project? seems the welder has suffered a tough year.
new to the whole forum thing, trying to figure out the nuances...

Welder Guy is building them up as we speak (albeit slooooooowly). Want me to add your name to the list?

Hi everyone! I found my vehicross through craigslist not more than 20 miles from my house. He was a bit battered some missing bits, scratched and has a funny sound about him. I saw the TOD and thought I should call the little truck todd. I was recovering from a bad car accident(55+45 head on) almost died but recovering great now. I am living in the app mountains of NW North Carolina. Todd handles the mountains great, always plenty of power. My new hobby is fixing him up bit by bit. Todd and I drive daily always getting coments or stares.

Grats on the VX .... & the recovery. Welcome to the family. A few of us are headed down to Uwharrie (sp?) in October if you'd like to join in.

krdgc70
08/30/2013, 04:58 AM
Yes, Tom4bren, i would like to be on the list!

roxsanne1
09/02/2013, 07:29 PM
hi everyone, I'm roxsanne
I have a `99 silver ironman edition, his nickname is speedy
i am the originial owner of the vehicle. I still have the dealership brochure when I went to take a look at him. I also have the limited edition hot wheels they made of him. I hate to admit i don't drive him much. I had a baby and its not the most convenient getting the kiddo in and out of the back. but i won't part with him. a friend of mine told him they may put this vehicle on a collectors list because they are so limited-so few were made and there are small numbers of them out in the market(due to accidents and such). I don't come to the website very often but i will try harder. lots of info out here. hope to talk to everyone soon.

sopo
09/05/2013, 08:46 PM
Hi Everyone. I'm Stephanie, was from the Arkansas Ozarks, recently moved to OK.
My hubby and I bought our first VX in 04. Drove to Memphis to pick it up. I wasn't as gung ho as he was from the pics on the Internet but when he let me drive it part way home, I fell in love. lol Unfortunately, he liked variety and traded it off a while later not long before he passed away.

I have been driving a VW Beetle but it was totaled last friday. I'm banged up but could have been much worse so no complaints, God was definitely watching over me. I haven't heard back from the adjuster yet but the tow guy was sure it would be totaled (bent frame, leaking gas). So, been 'window' car shopping and came across a VX not too far away with 155000 on it. My aunt passed away the day after my wreck so between arrangements for her and barely able to walk, I haven't been able to go check it out but I'm hoping to this weekend or first of next week. Keeping my fingers crossed I can get it or if not, maybe find another.

My only other ride is a Honda Shadow bike and I'm not sure I could lift it off it's kickstand right now I hurt so bad but can't wait to get back on it. Look forward to getting to know you all and find my own VX.

MSHardeman
09/05/2013, 08:56 PM
Stephanie, welcome (back) to the obsession. So sorry to hear about everything that you are going through right now, but it can only get better from here right?

Like any car, the VX can be very reliable depending on how it was taken care of by the previous owner(s). Be sure to take a good look at the VX that you are thinking about, but if it doesn't feel right then walk away. The right VX is out there for you and it may take a little bit to find it. I looked for a year, or more, before finding mine but when I did find her I knew she was the one. There are a few for sale by members here on the site so keep your eyes open. Many of us have gotten our VX's from out of state and either had them shipped home, or flown out and driven them back. There are many members here who would be happy to look at a VX for you if/when you find one far away from you.

Look forward to seeing you around.

devinlea
09/09/2013, 07:10 PM
I was lucky to have a family friend with a VX, though when my dad got his hands on it the engine had been completely blown. Within the last year we've replaced the engine and the shocks and completely transformed it! Just last week he drove it from Arkansas to Kansas to surprise me with it. I'm beyond in love with it already! :) :) :)

(I haven't figured out how to upload pictures on here yet though)

VX KAT
09/09/2013, 07:14 PM
I was lucky to have a family friend with a VX, though when my dad got his hands on it the engine had been completely blown. Within the last year we've replaced the engine and the shocks and completely transformed it! Just last week he drove it from Arkansas to Kansas to surprise me with it. I'm beyond in love with it already! :) :) :)

(I haven't figured out how to upload pictures on here yet though)

Welcome, what a great surprise!

HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO YOUR GALLERY:

Click on "Gallery" from the top banner along the top
Then click "Gallery Links", also along top banner
Find "Upload Photos" from drop down box
Next screen will show where you can attach up to 5 pics from your gallery
Look for "Choose file", click and then find the pic on your computer
After you've selected up to 5, scroll down and click button "Upload/Submit". It may take a minute or so.
After it uploads, a screen showing the pics you've just uploaded will appear.
Here you can add text or a title to each pic.
Click SUBMIT button

HOW TO ATTACH THEM TO A POST:

Start a post
On right side you'll see a small gray box titled "My pics"
Click "Open"
Find the pics in your Gallery and click "Upload"
Can add up to 20 pics in a single post
Once attached in the body of the post, hit the RETURN/ENTER key after each one so there's a space between each pic.

devinlea
09/09/2013, 07:55 PM
Okay thank you so much! :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/BTxA-BdCMAA3gSf.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/303481_3640776732792_1349317120_n.jpg

TenPercenter
09/10/2013, 10:46 AM
Hello to all. My name is Greg, I am an admirer of the VehiCROSS from it's introduction. My girlfriend wants to trade off her Nissan pickup and she was intrigued when I suggested we go in halves on eh VX. She likes the way it looks.

Problem is all the vehicles for sale are 100+ miles away. Do any of you live in DFW? Maybe I can buy you lunch and you can show your VX off to Danielle.

Maddawg
09/10/2013, 12:41 PM
Ooooooooooh, halves? Scary!

tom4bren
09/10/2013, 12:45 PM
Welcome. I hope you find the right VX for you.

You can click on the member map (left column on the home page) & see what members live near you & contact them by PM to see if they are interested in meeting up. The map is voluntary though so it doesn't list all members in your area.

or

You can use the search function in the left column on the home page. Select 'Members' from the drop down, click on 'Advanced Search' & Begin Search. On the next page, enter city and/or state & search again. That'll bring up members in your area & you can find one close by & contact them by PM or email about meeting up. As you scroll through the members in your area though, pay attention to when their last visit to the site was. If it's been a long time since they've visited, then they may have sold their VX.

VX KAT
09/10/2013, 01:05 PM
or you could just get names of some of the active members in that area . . . . . ;) :bgwb:

(;) OK Tom,:p I'm a little biased, cuz I miss living in Dallas so much. Guess you taught him how to fish though!)

Scott Harness lives in Dallas (I think he's down by the M streets)
Tomdietrying (Tom) is in Dallas
Dumke (Rob) lives on the FT.Worth side
Gonzo7231 (Joel) lives in Plano
FlyingV77 - Dallas

The first 3 are long time owners, and have many mods too. You'll find this group is a pretty darn friendly bunch and happy to help prospective and current owners all the time!

Good luck with your search!

p.s.- MANY of us had to buy long distance because of how few there are. I bought from VA, shipped to AZ. Some fly to the place and drive home, some ship.

tom4bren
09/11/2013, 06:02 AM
or you could just get names of some of the active members in that area . . . . . ;) :bgwb:

(;) OK Tom,:p I'm a little biased, cuz I miss living in Dallas so much. Guess you taught him how to fish though!)

Well ... I rolled with his handle & gave him 10% of an answer:)

CSieber
10/02/2013, 04:10 PM
Just bought a 2000 Vehicross at auction in California. Paid $2,700 so I'm dying to see what mechanical condition it's in. Exterior/insides look great. The car shipper gets here in two days to deliver it to Austin, TX. Either I'm going to be very happy or searching for a mechanic.

JoFotoz
10/02/2013, 04:23 PM
Nice!!

Just bought a 2000 Vehicross at auction in California. Paid $2,700 so I'm dying to see what mechanical condition it's in. Exterior/insides look great. The car shipper gets here in two days to deliver it to Austin, TX. Either I'm going to be very happy or searching for a mechanic.

Fingers x'd its not a heep !

Do you know miles, does it run?

What auction was it?

:_beer:

Jo

CSieber
10/02/2013, 04:42 PM
It was at blok auto. Apparently a charity auction of some sort in LA. It has 144k, and was test driven and passed a California exhaust test. That's about all I know. I figured I'd roll the dice for $2,700... I'll know this Friday when the car is dropped off. I'll make sure to take some pictures and give a report on its mech condition. I'd appreciate all the crossed fingers I can get!

ColoradoVX
10/08/2013, 03:45 PM
Found this site years ago. Had an original 99 silver Vx that some kid smashed into on my way up skiing a few years ago. Totaled that. Found a 99 Ironman on eBay and spent a while mixing and matching parts before letting the silver hulk go to the insurance company. Been driving the Ironman since but it needs some work. But still more fun to drive than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

tom4bren
10/09/2013, 06:07 AM
Welcome back.

BigBoyRed
10/12/2013, 06:13 PM
Thought I would introduce myself here and give my story on my VX experience.
Three years ago I had a 99 VX, I traded in my modified Geo tracker in for it cause I wanted something safer to drive around during the winter months in Pullman Wa. Was listed at the dealership for $10.5K with 71K on the ODO. I traded in my tracker and talked them down to $7.1K out the door because it needed new tires and the battery was corroded up. Had the stock 18" chromes and was light grey with the red/black interior. I instantly fell in love with it!
Well about a year later I was driving from Seattle WA back to Pullman WA(across the state) at about 3AM...I fell asleep at the wheel and ended up rolling my VX. According to the driver who witnessed the incident on the other side of the freeway(heading the opposite direction), he said I rolled a total of seven times!:eekgray: I landed on my wheels and funny thing was the engine was still running/idling like a champ!
I came out unharmed besides whiplash, some cuts on my left shoulder and a seatbelt burn. I had to crawl out of the window as the door was crushed shut.
Not a day goes by that I don't miss the hell out of my VX! I am now on the hunt for another one, and as most of you know it is not easy to find one in decent shape that is for sale. I may have found one decently close to where I live and I am currently going back and forth with him. Hopefully he decides to trade me!

Maddawg
10/12/2013, 06:21 PM
Good luck with that Red and welcome back.

VX KAT
10/12/2013, 06:57 PM
yeah red, welcome back. and many VXers on this forum are willing to go check out a VX for you if it's close to them.:thumbup:

Don't forget the checklist to help ask for info on the truck!

ANDERS
10/15/2013, 03:50 PM
hi there. i'm from europe, Latvia. my story of VX start in 2007, when me and my frend 'have a too much mony in bank accaunt' and we bougth vehi for offroad compation. we modificiated VX with winch, lift, 33" tires and ride offrod for 2 years. from 2009-20012 i'm forget about this car. it was in garage for 2-3 years, because there was a problem with engine electonics, but last year we fix it. last month i bought another demage vx, and at this time i want to make from 2 vx one nice and original vehi for non offroad driving :) I will try to put same pictures how job is going.

ANDERS
10/15/2013, 04:00 PM
P.S.
where i can buy white flashers ??? i have original yellow.
P.S.S.
Sorry for my bad english, i have been in US 10 years ago for 6 months, i forget a little bit.

Thanks

tom4bren
10/16/2013, 05:11 AM
Welcome ANDERS ... nice story.

No worries about your english. You probably speak it better than I do.

Here's one thread on the lenses you're looking for:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23746&highlight=clear+lens

Wayne1ed
10/16/2013, 09:54 PM
Only taken 4 months of scanning the internet but wow was it worth it!!!

My vx is a 99 3.2 and I can only describe it as.........

Y E A H ! ! ! !

It's totally awesome!!!
Ok this motor is 14 yrs old but other than the registration you wouldn't know. It's mint!!!
Paint work, interior, wheels, underneath, engine bay...... It's like it's 4 months old not 14 years! Did I mention it's got under 40,000 miles on the clock, with a folder full of documents confirming the miles!

Dream come true.

And the sound of that exhaust! (Can't be standard, it sounds like a 4.2 v8 not a 3.2 v6)

I'm so so happy!
"Can't you tell"

I actually own a piece of ultra rare automotive history!
How many Audi, Vauxhall, BMW etc etc owners can say that!

(Now I just don't want it to break down... Lol)

Cobrajet
10/17/2013, 04:56 AM
And the sound of that exhaust! (Can't be standard, it sounds like a 4.2 v8 not a 3.2 v6)
The previous owner may have installed a Powervault PV1 or 2 catback exhaust. I've got the PV1 and love the sound.

Yeah, you sound like a happy owner, and sounds like you picked up a real winner!

Cuda66
10/17/2013, 08:50 PM
Hey, I'm Tracy. I've had my silver VX a little less than a year now. I've always wanted one and found it way too close to me and way too cheap to pass up, so I got it. I'm in Joplin, MO where there are at least 4 others that I see around. I also have a 1966 Barracuda, 1986 928, and a 1992 850.

Flatlander
10/20/2013, 08:28 AM
hello, everyone. I sure am glad for this site. I am a 55 yr. old male from Penn and love gathering 4x4 Japanese ......oddities lets say. I have so far a 1985 Suzuki samurai Tin Top $500. purchase price. A 1996 Suzuki X90 $1000. and now a 1999 Isuzu Vehicross for $ 900. all three are in decent shap and run and drive. So I am looking forward to everyones input as a bring the VX back to full glory. thanks again

JoFotoz
10/20/2013, 11:27 AM
WOW....

and now a 1999 Isuzu Vehicross for $ 900. a

.... insanely cheap price for a 'decent shape' runner!

Do tell the story on that one!

Jo

sleveritt
10/21/2013, 07:22 PM
Exactly! We need the story! I got mine for $1000 but "running" included an incredible engine knock (spun bearing) and a fair amount of rust and abuse.

WOW....

.... insanely cheap price for a 'decent shape' runner!

Do tell the story on that one!

Jo

ZAVior
10/25/2013, 07:07 PM
Hi there. I am a new vcross owner. Just bought my 2001 yesterday. 97K miles. I am sad to say that today I had my first mechanical issue. After it warms up it doesn't want to shift through gears on its own. I can manually shift through gears but if I start from a stop in D it revs to 2000 rpms and basically puts forward. As if its trying to take off in a high gear. Any other issues like this? Also, having the intermittent high rpms. I am totally in-love with this little Zombie Assault Vehicle. Want him to feel better.

CatFish
10/25/2013, 10:01 PM
First congratulations on your new ride.

Second: I had a similar thing happen recently to my VX, this can be caused by low transmission fluid, and/or the neutral safety switch/Transaxle Range switch Circuit

Code:P0705 Transaxle Range Switch Circuit

Go to this page to see the codes: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2013&highlight=P0705

If you do not have a diagnostic tool most auto parts store will read the codes for you, if you cannot get them to do it PM me or send me an email I am in Denver and I have a code reader and I can read the codes for you if you can get it to me.

Isuzu does call it a neutral safety switch. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7506&page=2
8-96017-511-0 "Neutral Safety Switch"

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDI0/180982.oap?year=2001&make=Isuzu&model=VehiCROSS&vi=1373554

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2001-Isuzu-Vehicross-4WD/Neutral-Safety-Switch/_/N-jfq1pZ9cid6?filterByKeyWord=8-96017-511-0+Neutral+Safety+Switch&fromString=search

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=8-96017-511-0+neutral+safety+switch&vehicleIdSearch=49666&searchedFrom=header

I am pretty new here so I suggest that you post about this here http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I am sure you get lots of help.

bartmanS4
10/25/2013, 10:02 PM
Welcome fellow Colorado VXer!
You may want to search these forums and do a fair amount of reading up on the tranny issues. I think the trans is definitely one of the VX weak points. Another being oil consumption so keep a close eye on your oil level until you know how much it uses. The high RPMs are probably a fuel pressure regulator, if it's a problem replace it.
Cheers,
Scott

CatFish
10/25/2013, 10:24 PM
The thing with the high RPM is that the NSS (neutral safety switch/Transaxle range switch) did cause mine to have high RMPs and act like it wanted to take off on its own when stopped at a light. Basically when the glitch starts the VX will get a high RMP and then when you let off the brake it kind of takes off like you are giving it gas, it did kind of freak me out I had never had this happen in any other car before so it was new to me.

A few times it would start acting up while driving if I was coasting at say 30MPH it would accelerate on it own and quickly go from 30 to 40 it kind of felt like a runaway VX. I was not a huge deal as you can easily slow it down just by braking but it was strange to say the least.

The other thing was when it was acting up when I put it in park the RMPs would get even higher. If I turned off the ignition and waited a few minutes sometimes I could restart it and it would then act normal again, and stay that way for 10 minutes or a couple of days, so it was hard to find the problem.

I do not know how many miles his VX has but mine only had 60K on it when it did this.

After replacing the switch it was fine for a few days and then it started acting strange again so I rechecked the trans fluid (total pain in the *****) it was only a little low so I filled it and cleared the codes. So far it has been about 2 weeks and has been normal.

I still do not trust it though I am hopeful it is fixed.

This problem caused me to get compulsive reading disorder and I looked up and read anything I could find on this issue, so like I said PM me or email me if you want the whole story I spent at least 3 weeks reading up on this strange anomaly/problem. This post is already too long and I have a lot more I can tell you about this problem from the beginning to today.

VX KAT
10/25/2013, 11:51 PM
Compulsive Reading Disorder - Good one! :laugho: :thumbup:

Is the NSS also called the "mode switch"? - - seems like I recall reading some posts about the irregular/high RPMs and the mode switch was involved.
(but I could be wrong - -just thought I'd toss it out there - - so he would have more reading to do :goof: )

CatFish
10/26/2013, 12:52 AM
Compulsive Reading Disorder is the only way to describe it, when I do not know something I feel compelled to learn about it even if I am up all night reading everything I can find until I know I have learned all about the said thing.

Yes it is sometimes called the mode switch, so if you are having a similar problem you will have to look for topics on all the different names this switch is called.

I also forgot to mention that I had a remote start/alarm installed before this problem started and I had a problem with a Trooper I had after installing a remote start. Coincidence? Maybe, but I wonder I hade to replace the stitch under the console in the Trooper that also controlled the shifter and allowed the key to be removed, when the Trooper had a malfunction the RMPs were not affected but when the switch went the key would no longer come out of the column.

I am not sure it was because of the remote start but it was confirmed it was the install that caused the problem.

PK
10/26/2013, 04:47 PM
Hi there. I am a new vcross owner. Just bought my 2001 yesterday. 97K miles. I am sad to say that today I had my first mechanical issue. After it warms up it doesn't want to shift through gears on its own. I can manually shift through gears but if I start from a stop in D it revs to 2000 rpms and basically puts forward. As if its trying to take off in a high gear. Any other issues like this? Also, having the intermittent high rpms. I am totally in-love with this little Zombie Assault Vehicle. Want him to feel better.

ZAVior, for the transmission problem, try pressing the "Winter" mode switch.
If that has accidentally been pressed down, the vehicle tries to start off in 3rd gear to prevent wheelspin on icy roads.

Cheap and easy fix if it works, and "someone" might have accidentally pressed the switch when cleaning around it.

PK

ZAVior
10/26/2013, 04:53 PM
The winter button doesn't stay on when pressed. Seems to not like 2nd gear. Had transmission fluid checked while getting oil changed today. They said it was pretty low. Still having same problem though. Guess extended warranty might come in handy.

MSHardeman
10/28/2013, 09:07 AM
ZAVior, the "winter" button won't stay depressed when you push it. It should, however, light up a "winter mode" light on the dash but that light could be out. Like PK said, the winter mode starts the VX off in third gear to avoid wheel slippage on slick roads. After about 10-15 mph the winter mode turns itself off and the VX should act normally until you come to a stop at which point it turns itself on again to start you out in third gear. Maybe try pressing the button again (just once) at your next stop and see if it helps any.

I'm hoping that that is the easy fix, but if you had your fluid checked, and topped off correctly (there is quite an involved process for filling a VX transmission) and the issue still persists, then it may be something else. As others have said, the mode selector switch may be going out, but when that has happened to others here, the gear selector lights usually go a little hay wire, flashing back and forth. The mode switch is fairly easy to get to, take apart, clean and put back in so that might be the next "easy fix" to try.

Good luck and welcome. Always good to see another CO VXer in the mix.

Frankenstein
11/06/2013, 04:46 AM
I bought my vehicross yesterday. I named it Frankenstein. It has been hacked up and put back together using a dodge 4x4 for all the doner parts. Part of me said don't by it. The other part didn't listen. I need some help, a few parts, & some love. I need to post some pics of Frankenstein its on roids.

tom4bren
11/06/2013, 05:48 AM
Looking forward to seeing those pix. We need to have you park Frankenstein next to Marlin-stein for some pix:)

Frankenstein
11/06/2013, 03:28 PM
Help! How do I post pics of Frankenstein? My computer died, all I have is a smart phone with pics.

tom4bren
11/07/2013, 05:50 AM
From Home Page:

Gallery => Gallery Links => Upload Photos

Frankenstein
11/07/2013, 05:53 AM
Thanks Tom, I figured it out this morning. I have 2 pics in my gallery .

MSHardeman
11/07/2013, 08:27 AM
WOW. I need to see more pictures of that thing. I see a solid axle up front and a different axle out back (leaf springs?). How much of the original running gear is left on the VX or is it all Dodge now?

Frankenstein
11/07/2013, 09:03 AM
WOW. I need to see more pictures of that thing. I see a solid axle up front and a different axle out back (leaf springs?). How much of the original running gear is left on the VX or is it all Dodge now?

Every thing was cut off the VX frame. Yes its all dodge running gear now, including the 360 V8. I need to get more pics loaded on here. The leaf springs and shock towers look like like Isuzu put them on. :yeso: Most of the welds are very nice.:group:

JoFotoz
11/07/2013, 06:21 PM
WOW...... :eek:

Thats an interesting ride, and Frankenstein is so apt!

Pics of underneath would be awesome..and engine...
..... and ......well....EVERYTHING!!

If I read you right..its basically a body swap onto the 4X4 dodge frame.

I'm super interested in this as my eventual goal is to put a VX body...

...on an early ( 70-74 ish ) Bronco / 302 V8 rolling chassis.

May I ask what you paid for it...

...and suggest you open a whole new thread on it!!

Jo

Frankenstein
11/07/2013, 07:39 PM
:dan_ban:A thread on Frankenstein is a great idea. It still has the VX frame. I need to take more pics. I found some trxus mt 33" tires in my basement. I will put them on tomorrow. Jo I am a early bronco addic, but Frankenstein has a hook in me. :dan_ban:

jarruda
11/14/2013, 05:02 AM
Greetings VXers!

Yesterday I finally picked up a VX to call my own, a 2000 Kaiser Silver on Gray interior.

I've owned a '98 Rodeo 5-speed that I've lifted and had many years of fun with in the snow and very mild off-roading with. Unfortunately, 15 years of New England winters have taken their toll on her frame, and I've just about run out of interest (and skill) to properly repair her.

Once I joined the planetisuzoo forums and started lurking around and reading about various members' Troopers, Rodeos, and eventually the rare Vehicross, I knew I had to pick one up should one come up for sale in these parts. I had a near miss a year or so ago - one in great shape on craigslist, but alas the price wasn't within reach (of neither my wallet nor my conscience).

This season I've been more fortunate and I was able to scoop one up practically down the street from my house. She's a little rough around the edges - transfer case might be a time bomb, a couple interior pieces missing or broken, the driver's seatback doesn't work right, etc. But she's mine!

After being inspired by VT_Maverick and BigMeatVX's 5-speed swaps, I'm even more excited for the future of this girl. Surely I'll be wandering through the salvage thread to repair her many blemishes, but I can't wait.

PS. I would appreciate any attention my thread on the transfer case (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24991) you guys would be willing to give! :bwgy:

VXN8N
11/15/2013, 10:18 PM
My name is Angela and I have admired and adored these cars since they were introduced. Finally at a place (Montana) and point in my life to buy one! :yesy: Found mine on ebay....it was in Madison WI so me and a buddy flew out from Bozeman this past Saturday and got home on Tuesday night. My VX is a 2001 Proton Yellow, #1095, and in perfect condition! Has all manuals and a dealer brochure too! 85K on the odo......I'm madly in love...drives awesome and getting new tires tomorrow! Found this forum from Facebook page. Glad to be an owner finally! Its gonna be a great rig for MT....snow tomorrow...oh yeah:winky:

falknvx
11/17/2013, 08:58 AM
My son and I are afflicted with the "car" disease. VX's were always interesting. I would look around, CL, eBay, etc. And finally found one near by in Spokane Washington. My afflicted son is an engineering student at gonzaga and we put together a scheme to get a look before the seller showed the rig to the masses. He took some cash and was suppose to call me when he was getting introduced to the rig. He texted me on the way back to school and said "done deal dad". Two weeks later I was there, drove our prize back to Olympia, a little shop time getting some sorely needed service and its off to the races. Still needs some nagging repairs. The windows suck, no sound system. That really about it except for the exhaust.

tom4bren
11/18/2013, 11:45 AM
Welcome jarruda, VXN8N, falknvx. I liked reading your different stories on how Y'all became VX'rs. You should fit in our little family quite nicely. Best of luck on your approaches to making your rigs unique to you.

Booklady1
11/18/2013, 01:04 PM
I am currently living in the Lowcountry of SC and planning to spend the winter in the NC Blue Ridge. So I'll need a vehicle that can handle snow, ice, and mountains. Once the VX appeared on my horizon, I haven't been able to see anything else.
Any purchasing advice will be greatly appreciated!

tom4bren
11/18/2013, 01:10 PM
It's alla way out in AZ but VX KAT is selling hers. Probably one of the best maintained VXs out there so you'd be getting a reliable rig. IIRC, hers was originally from VA so if you get it, it'll be coming back home.

There's also an Ebony for sale in Philly that looked pretty good.

Maddawg
11/18/2013, 01:28 PM
I am currently living in the Lowcountry of SC and planning to spend the winter in the NC Blue Ridge. So I'll need a vehicle that can handle snow, ice, and mountains. Once the VX appeared on my horizon, I haven't been able to see anything else.
Any purchasing advice will be greatly appreciated!

VX Kat's thread re her car for sale

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24956

cshuey72
11/19/2013, 03:25 PM
Hi, all! I joined way back when and then lost this site. My 99 VX is still running well. Other than some minor normal maintenance issues and some cosmetic stuff, she's holding up. I'm thinking about doing a little restoration work to get it back to it's original state. Perhaps I'll look in the parts threads to see who has what and post what I need.

Syko
11/23/2013, 12:30 PM
Hey everyone. My name is Don. Currently looking to buy a VX. I'm kind of an attention whore when it comes to vehicles so the VX is right up my alley. I've owned a 2002 Axiom (ex wife got it) & currently own a 1990 Amigo that I use for playing in the dirt. I have wanted a VX as an upgrade for the Amigo for some time. I was really interested in Kat's but I contacted her the day it sold. (I would have even kept the purple accents) :yesy: Hope you don't mind if I lurk about.

epex
12/02/2013, 08:07 PM
Hello all,

Hmmm...where to begin. The name's Jeffrey, but family calls me Eppy. Friend call me Epex or just "E".

I had an accident in Pasadena, CA on October 6th, 2013. The other driver ran a red light and T-boned my just bought used car (Toyota Corolla S)of 2 weeks, 150 miles driven and still a full tank of gas (sigh... on that last one).

The accident left me a bit weary of smaller cars. I've been looking for something a bit beefier. Choices are Saab 9-3 2.0T and a Volvo XC90/S60.

I was look at reviews and say an article saying something about "ugly cars that never should have been made" or something like it. Lo and behold, I fell in love with the VX. I just found this site the other night and only today did I registed and quickly looked at the sales thread.

I was looking at member skcorssorcihev's sale thread. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=25019
Hopefully my claims check arrives and I can make a deal. It's in my price range and I have to account for an additional $1000 for transporting to SoCal.

I would be appreciative for any info/advice I am given regarding matters such as the VX, transport to SoCal, life in general, and etc. :D

Lfen
12/02/2013, 11:43 PM
Just FYI, there are about 4 or 5 listed in California on Craigslist right now.

honeyblond
12/03/2013, 10:18 PM
Hi, I'm just new to this forum too. It is also a great place to discuss new things here, share experiences and voice out our opinions about a certain topic. Good day everyone and hoping you'll enjoy your stay here also:)

knfmkr
12/05/2013, 12:08 PM
Hello, A few months ago I bought a 2000 VX and have loved it. We had to take it in to the shop to have the CV axles replaced. The shop could not find the drivers side inner CV axle and after ordering 9 different ones finally got the correct axle from Autozone. Now the shop will not work on my VX again. I hope parts aren't this hard to find in the future. My wife already wants me to sell it.

mindaugas
12/05/2013, 12:11 PM
Order the parts online and find a shop that will just put them in for you. Or of course try your own hand at it :) I was able to do my own work which was minor, but some larger stuff on an old Subaru I asked a shop if I could order the parts and just pay them for labor and they were perfectly fine with that. Even helped me and made sure I got the right one.

bartmanS4
12/05/2013, 12:18 PM
Hello, A few months ago I bought a 2000 VX and have loved it. We had to take it in to the shop to have the CV axles replaced. The shop could not find the drivers side inner CV axle and after ordering 9 different ones finally got the correct axle from Autozone. Now the shop will not work on my VX again. I hope parts aren't this hard to find in the future. My wife already wants me to sell it.

Welcome knfmkr
Is that Knife Maker?
My advice would be to get rid of the wife not the VX. It will be much cheaper in the long run.:bgwb:
Scott

SimSamurai
12/05/2013, 02:18 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums here. I am looking at buying a 2001 VX with ~ 115k miles or less. I've seen a few which appear to be in great shape but am primarily concerned about the engine due to a lot of various reviews I've been reading on the web.

I currently own a 92 Toyota SR-5 Extra Cab pickup which has 162k on it and I am thinking of selling it and buying a VX. I don't use the truck bed much anymore and have a small half ton trailer (made from an old Mazda truck bed) which I can use if needed to pick up wood, plywood, etc for house projects. Anyway, I feel its a good time to sell my truck after having just done a lot of big maintenance to it and I have always wanted a VX. I also have a 2 year old son now and this is a huge factor as I really need the extra room but I did not want a mini-van or 4 door SUV either. We only have one kid and already have a 4 door car. With the VX at least all three of us could fit in it on those few occasions where we all need to. Other than that, it would primarily be my "cruck". I would actually love to get something like a 2008-2013 Toyota Pre-Runner 4 door truck but I just don't want to invest that much ($20k +) right now in the way of cash and payments. I can however get a VX for ~8k or less which I can easily swing right now. I totally love the VX.. BUT...BUT...save for all bad things I've been reading about major engine problems with the oil burning / cylinder ring issues. In other words, I don't want to buy a looker that is really a lemon under the hood. Something on my shoulder still says DO NOT stray from Toyota.

I realize all cars have some issues and hang-ups. There are a few on my truck too..but nothing so major as burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. At 162k mine eats maybe 1/2 quart every 4,000 miles which is totally within acceptable limits for her mileage. The horror stories I've been reading about the VX engine ring issues has me extremely concerned. I'm almost thinking if it DOES have over 100k on it, that its probably a good thing???

My main questions are this: Is there anything in particular about the VX issues that can assuage my fears? What are the main issues? What should I check and look for? Is it very, very difficult to get parts? Are they really expensive because of the limited run on these cars? Lastly, is there a top 10 list of immediate changes or modifications which should be done to make the VX better or last longer? In other words..I need to be sold on the large and small details. I'm already sold on looks but it's what I don't see that scares me.

JoFotoz
12/05/2013, 03:24 PM
Hi..sorry you had parts issues :(

If you use the search function here...or if you cant find an answer..ASK..

...you'll find that most parts/fix-it scenarios have been discussed and solved !

For example :- http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24109

Hope this helps

Jo

JoFotoz
12/05/2013, 03:29 PM
A fellow San Diegan....:thumbup:

Hi, I'm new to the forums here. I am looking at buying a 2001 VX with ~ 115k miles or less. I've seen a few which appear to be in great shape but am primarily concerned about the engine due to a lot of various reviews I've been reading on the web.

I currently own a 92 Toyota SR-5 Extra Cab pickup which has 162k on it and I am thinking of selling it and buying a VX. I don't use the truck bed much anymore and have a small half ton trailer (made from an old Mazda truck bed) which I can use if needed to pick up wood, plywood, etc for house projects. Anyway, I feel its a good time to sell my truck after having just done a lot of big maintenance to it and I have always wanted a VX. I also have a 2 year old son now and this is a huge factor as I really need the extra room but I did not want a mini-van or 4 door SUV either. We only have one kid and already have a 4 door car. With the VX at least all three of us could fit in it on those few occasions where we all need to. Other than that, it would primarily be my "cruck". I would actually love to get something like a 2008-2013 Toyota Pre-Runner 4 door truck but I just don't want to invest that much ($20k +) right now in the way of cash and payments. I can however get a VX for ~8k or less which I can easily swing right now. I totally love the VX.. BUT...BUT...save for all bad things I've been reading about major engine problems with the oil burning / cylinder ring issues. In other words, I don't want to buy a looker that is really a lemon under the hood. Something on my shoulder still says DO NOT stray from Toyota.

I realize all cars have some issues and hang-ups. There are a few on my truck too..but nothing so major as burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. At 162k mine eats maybe 1/2 quart every 4,000 miles which is totally within acceptable limits for her mileage. The horror stories I've been reading about the VX engine ring issues has me extremely concerned. I'm almost thinking if it DOES have over 100k on it, that its probably a good thing???

My main questions are this: Is there anything in particular about the VX issues that can assuage my fears? What are the main issues? What should I check and look for? Is it very, very difficult to get parts? Are they really expensive because of the limited run on these cars? Lastly, is there a top 10 list of immediate changes or modifications which should be done to make the VX better or last longer? In other words..I need to be sold on the large and small details. I'm already sold on looks but it's what I don't see that scares me.

I sent you a Private message with my Tel #.

Give me a call,and swing by.
I'l go over all the quirks with you...
...and have 3 VX's you can look at.

Cheers

Jo

Pacific Beach ... :dance:

Maddawg
12/05/2013, 06:36 PM
More than 3 VX's and your a rancher.

35inchOffroadBeast
12/09/2013, 10:40 AM
Hello fellow VX lovers. I recently moved from San Diego to Charlotte, with a stop in Philadelphia for Thanksgiving. I sold my 97 Jeep Wrangler in San Diego and was searching for a VX around the Philadelphia area. The first one I drove had a TOD problem so I walked. The second one I looked at was a 1 owner, 115,000 mile beauty. The guy pre-ordered it back in 98. 99 White Ironman in amazing condition. And I stole it at $5000. Any way, I got it to Charlotte, at 16.5 mpg, ouch. And my buddy and I are about to transform her into a beast. I want to lift it 6.5-7 inches, run 35's, find a brush guard that'll mount up without any crazy modification. If anyone has any tips, tricks, words of advice for me as we get started, please don't hesitate to send me a message. Pictures will follow as I get started.

JoFotoz
12/09/2013, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the addiction!!

I sent you a Private message.

Cheers

jo

LittleBeast
12/09/2013, 11:12 AM
Hello fellow VX lovers. I recently moved from San Diego to Charlotte, with a stop in Philadelphia for Thanksgiving. I sold my 97 Jeep Wrangler in San Diego and was searching for a VX around the Philadelphia area. The first one I drove had a TOD problem so I walked. The second one I looked at was a 1 owner, 115,000 mile beauty. The guy pre-ordered it back in 98. 99 White Ironman in amazing condition. And I stole it at $5000. Any way, I got it to Charlotte, at 16.5 mpg, ouch. And my buddy and I are about to transform her into a beast. I want to lift it 6.5-7 inches, run 35's, find a brush guard that'll mount up without any crazy modification. If anyone has any tips, tricks, words of advice for me as we get started, please don't hesitate to send me a message. Pictures will follow as I get started.

Sounds great but you don't really need 7" of lift for 35's. I (and others) are running 35x12.5's with about 4" of lift. VXorado did a body lift in addition and it turned out great as well. I am sure you will find lots of info and help here on the brush guard as well. Good luck and keep us posted! :-)

JoFotoz
12/09/2013, 11:24 AM
X2 what Ryan said.

4.5 inches here with 35's
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_2962.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23702)
Sent you a PM with links to brush guard stuff etc.

Fire away with any questions :thumbup:

jo

Maddawg
12/09/2013, 01:43 PM
X2 what Ryan said.

4.5 inches here with 35's
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_2962.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23702)
Sent you a PM with links to brush guard stuff etc.

Fire away with any questions :thumbup:

jo

In addition to the 3 inch suspension lift, you did a 1 1/2 inch body lift???

JoFotoz
12/09/2013, 02:23 PM
Nope...

In addition to the 3 inch suspension lift, you did a 1 1/2 inch body lift???

OME springs/coils and coil spacers from Indy 4x4.

Jo

Maddawg
12/09/2013, 02:44 PM
What about the front??

JoFotoz
12/09/2013, 02:46 PM
Aggresive Torsion bar crank...

What about the front??

....and diff drop brackets :thumbup:

Jo

Maddawg
12/09/2013, 02:58 PM
Me too, but I get only 3 inches if that. Any higher and I'm against my urethane replacement stop. Didnt think the diff drop gained much at all??

tcahall
12/14/2013, 09:44 AM
Hey guys, my name is Tobias from Ohio. I dont have a Vehicross but I have a 2002 Axiom. It has been super reliable up until Sept of this year when my TOD light started flashing. I only have about 80k miles on it. Always taken good care of it. No pulling trailers or abuse, just easy street driving and drove to Florida couple times from Ohio. I started digging around and found this site. You guys have the best info out there anywhere that is accurate and helpful. So I decided to join the forum, and glad I did.
Question I have is, where can I get the transfer case front and rear speed sensors? I have manually pulled the codes per the info provided in the forums and found the codes indicating front and rear speed sensors. Just for the sake of elimination, I replaced the TOD selector switch in the left side dash and replaced the vehicle speed sensor in the trasfer case. No luck. I decided to investigate the front and rear speed sensors to see I could remove and clean them off and reinstall to check but managed to damage the plastic piece that holds them in the housing, now I need to replace them. They appear to be part of a wire harness on the transfer case and not replaceable individually.
Any help would be great. I am kinda stuck.

bartmanS4
12/14/2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome Tobias!
I don't have an answer for you besides hitting the local junkyards. Any TOD equipped Isuzu should be good for a parts source.

I would also request that the board mods move this to the troubleshooting forum as you may get better visibility and help there.

Cheers,
Scott

VX Dad
01/19/2014, 12:51 PM
Hello all, I just bought my son his first car, a 99 VX, he won't see it til Labor Day, I am keeping hidden and a surprise until our family reunion, so it's a big deal as he is the first of his gen in our extended family to get to the driving age. He won't get to drive unaccompanied until Sept tho. I will get him involved with the forum then. I drive a 13 black fj cruiser, and follow the fj forum quite a lot, so I'm sure I'll pass the use of the forum along to him now that we both have 4x4 cars that have been discontinued! We live in Al, are there any local chapters or meet and greets here in the Montgomery area?

2strokespirit
01/19/2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Guys....

I am a new member.... all the way from South Africa!

I am sure I am going to like it here....

Frankenstein
01/19/2014, 02:50 PM
Welcome new members BX Dad & 2 stroke spirit!

Volksnick
01/20/2014, 01:13 PM
Hello all, I just bought my son his first car, a 99 VX, he won't see it til Labor Day, I am keeping hidden and a surprise until our family reunion, so it's a big deal as he is the first of his gen in our extended family to get to the driving age. He won't get to drive unaccompanied until Sept tho. I will get him involved with the forum then. I drive a 13 black fj cruiser, and follow the fj forum quite a lot, so I'm sure I'll pass the use of the forum along to him now that we both have 4x4 cars that have been discontinued! We live in Al, are there any local chapters or meet and greets here in the Montgomery area?

Welcome! It makes for a fine first car! I recall getting my first car (99 VX) back in 2000. I should serve him well if he takes care of it. Seems like it will be a lot to hide it for 9 months, but more power to you. I'm not in Montgomery, but I've driven through a ton of times on the way to Gulf Shores. The VX knows the way! Good luck with it and keep it on the road.

ohiovx
01/22/2014, 05:56 PM
New guy here. Just bought a 2001 VX. I'm a technician by trade & bought this not running from the original owner. Think I'm going to rebuild the engine to get it on the road. Plan on lifting it enough for 35's. Eventually thinking about putting a cummins 4bt in it.:bwgy:
Glenn

Maddawg
01/22/2014, 07:50 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that there seems to be a lot of VX's changing hands lately. Considering that there were only 4000+ sold in the US and the last year of manufacture was 2001, how many can still be left out there??

tom4bren
01/23/2014, 05:30 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that there seems to be a lot of VX's changing hands lately.

I assume it's a combo of 2 things:

Economy - lotsa peeps changing jobs & moving & such ... or commuting farther.

Parenthood - we seem to have a lot of younger owners now & with starting families, they don't want to mess with putting car seats in the back.

Petos
01/24/2014, 05:07 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that there seems to be a lot of VX's changing hands lately. Considering that there were only 4000+ sold in the US and the last year of manufacture was 2001, how many can still be left out there??
Some time ago, I read a study on the dependence between vitage of production and a number of vehicles still on the road. If I remember correctly, it said that after 10 years, about 50% cars are still burning rubber.. Given that the average vehicross is now 14 years old and c.4200 were produced, this would give us at best 2,000 still running.. and given that many were exported (about 100 to Russia alone on my count), I would guess the real number for the US is closer to 1,500...

Front_rangeVX
01/29/2014, 10:22 AM
Hello everyone! I'm a long time vx fan and first time vx owner. I bought a 2001 proton from another member on this fourm just 3 days ago. He took amazing care of it. The interior is darn near perfect. I was giving a great deal of the price because of some exterior damage to the passenger side.

I'm in the process of repairing the damage and "decking it out"
I want to get a hitch on there first
Some American racing rims and new shoes are next
After that I want to look into a good aftermarket sound system.

I'm sure ill be posting often with questions over the next few months. I really want to find who is making those adapters so I can put a westin bar of the front.

The forum has already saved me time and money just using the search engine and I really appreciate all the knowledge on here. It makes me feel less alone even though I might have the only VX in 100miles!

Mile High VX
01/29/2014, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the maddness...I'm just right the road and my son lives in the Springs.

Did you buy your VX from the guy that worked at the BMW dealership? He was the only Proton owner I know in the Springs.

JoFotoz
01/29/2014, 10:56 AM
WELCOME!!

Hello everyone! I'm a long time vx fan and first time vx owner. I bought a 2001 proton from another member on this fourm just 3 days ago. He took amazing care of it. The interior is darn near perfect. I was giving a great deal of the price because of some exterior damage to the passenger side.

I'm in the process of repairing the damage and "decking it out"
I want to get a hitch on there first
Some American racing rims and new shoes are next
After that I want to look into a good aftermarket sound system.

I'm sure ill be posting often with questions over the next few months. I really want to find who is making those adapters so I can put a westin bar of the front.

The forum has already saved me time and money just using the search engine and I really appreciate all the knowledge on here. It makes me feel less alone even though I might have the only VX in 100miles!

I'm guessing this was the one Brandon aka 'Rampage' was selling.

Congrats, I was interested too!

Let the addiction begin!!

Jo

Front_rangeVX
01/29/2014, 10:59 AM
WELCOME!!

I'm guessing this was the one Brandon aka 'Rampage' was selling.

Congrats, I was interested too!

Let the addiction begin!!

Jo

Wow I'm impressed. Yep this is the one that Brandon was selling. Hes a very cool guy too. Bad taste in football teams though. :)

JoFotoz
01/29/2014, 11:07 AM
LOL...

Wow Bad taste in football teams though. :)

.... no doubt a Seattle fan given his location!!

Broncos will win! Round about 21-17... IMO!

You should come join the VX group in Moab in May.....

..... then fix the damage after!!

(PS..just sent you an e-mail :) )

Jo

Front_rangeVX
01/29/2014, 02:13 PM
LOL...

.... no doubt a Seattle fan given his location!!

Broncos will win! Round about 21-17... IMO!

You should come join the VX group in Moab in May.....

..... then fix the damage after!!

(PS..just sent you an e-mail :) )

Jo

Oh yeah, I should have held off and made a bet with Brandon. If Seattle wins I pay extra $500 for the vx. If Denver wins I get a $-500 discount lol!

Moab in May sounds good, I usually get out that way to mountain bike "the whole Enchilada trail" that time of year anyway.

I'll PM you back!

surf-life
02/08/2014, 01:30 PM
Double post.

surf-life
02/08/2014, 01:32 PM
I was hunting another vehicross ( my last VX was the first to my knowledge iron man with a full black and grey interior swap ) Kat helped me locate my old VX so I could offer to buy it back, but the new owner wouldn't respond after a few attempts of contact. So I decided to get a trooper rs (2 door) because they are uber rare and cool. I finally located a white 1993 trooper rs one owner with only 117,xxx miles, and spent its life in Texas and southern Georgia, so zero rust what so ever. It needs a little tlc as the older gentle man hadn't engaged 4x4 in 12 years ^_^ Right now she is 100 pieces every seal is being replace and fluids are being swapped out. I will get pictures soon!

Btw this is by far the best car forum online and hope I can chime in with you guys even though I don't have a VX.

CatFish
02/08/2014, 08:52 PM
I would like to see pictures of this 2 door Trooper I cannot say I have seen one before so it must be rare, or was just not paying attention all these years.
I worked at an Isuzu dealer for 8 years and I have owned 7 Isuzu's, 79 2x4 luv truck, 80 4x4 luv truck, 82 4x4 luv truck, 88 4x4 Space cab truck, 89 4x4 Space cab truck, 96 Trooper and my 2001 VX I have now, my husband currently has a 96 Trooper.

Post some pictures of this 2 door Trooper when you get some.

JoFotoz
02/08/2014, 09:21 PM
Hiya Catfish...

I would like to see pictures of this 2 door Trooper I cannot say I have seen one before so it must be rare, or was just not paying attention all these years.

If you google Trooper RS images......you'll see lots of them.

Its essentially the same chassis as the VX is built on .

jo

CatFish
02/08/2014, 09:27 PM
OK I guess I do remember seeing the older model ones from the 80s but the later model one is the one I have not seen in person and I kind of like the way old ones better in a 2 door.

VX KAT
02/08/2014, 10:49 PM
Check out gallery pics for "Marlin" and "BigSwede", both have/had RSs.

Hiya Catfish...

If you google Trooper RS images......you'll see lots of them.

Its essentially the same chassis as the VX is built on .

jo

JoFotoz
02/08/2014, 10:58 PM
Swede doesnt have a gallery Kat, and Marlin only has
a few shots if you search hard.

Seemed easier to google it!

jo

VX KAT
02/08/2014, 11:01 PM
I was going to suggest the Moab meets threads she could stroll through, and see Swede's red then khaki RS.
There's still not too many pics of either.

VehiBRO
02/14/2014, 11:44 AM
Hey yall. New to the site and a first time VX owner. Actually found out about them through someone who had one in my town. It was the only one I had ever seen! Well, since then I did extensive searching to find one and low and behold I am now the proud owner of a 2000 Gunmetal. I must say there is nothing out there old or new that looks quite like the VX. I am very much in love with the stance and the aggressive nature of the car just fits my personality. However, I am already experiencing the headaches of the constant money I have been putting into it. New CVs right off the bat, now issues with the TOD that didn't show up until (you guessed it) it was purchased and driven away. I just ordered a 430 dollar speed sensor in hopes that this fixes my problem and was told that if this doesn't correct the problem, then my computer is bad! Doesn't sound cheap in any sense! I would have come here, but due to a delay in my account being activated and problems with my email account being compromised, I now type before you a now near broke man. My appreciation for the car still exists and I am looking forward to getting to know some of you and where everyone Crosses it! Much love to the fam!

killerbotics
02/14/2014, 07:49 PM
Hello, I have a 1999 I call "silver" and a 1999 I call "black" (one is white and one is black)

I abused "silver" for many years, off road, mud, deep snow, etc... Then I hit an ice fishing shack with "silver" about 5 years ago and cracked the front plastic and found the metal bumper was rusted off and laying lose inside, I understand this is a common problem. A few weeks ago a deer decided to commit suicide on my front end, busting it up really bad, pushing everything back into the engine and busted both headlights. I was able to repair the metalwork, AC, Radiator, radiator fan and clutch but I have a "headlight problem"! I was devastated, sitting on the side of the road hearing the radiator hiss and actually cried a little while expelling a long string of profanity.

6 days later I tracked down another 1999 "black" VehiCross and went and bought it, paying $6,000 for a 14 year old car... I feel a little stupid but I love this car so much I couldn't help myself. (The "new" one also doesn't have a bumper par under the front plastic)

tom4bren
02/18/2014, 06:07 AM
Welcome VehiBRO & killerbotics. Hope both of you get your rigs back to 100% quickly.

killer - there was a thread about a year ago where someone had a machine shop offer replacement front bumpers. The search function should find it for you pretty easily.

BRO - maybe just unplug the TOD computer for 30 minutes & plug back in. That should force a reset that may help (worth a shot since it doesn't cost anything).

VehiTONY
03/19/2014, 12:06 PM
Hello,
My name is Tony and I just got my 2001 VehiCROSS. I have found something wrong the day after and need some help.
The check light for the TOD system is blinking. I found that the 4L works but 4H does not. It only blinks in 4H also I can hear a light clicking in the transfer case while rolling at a idle in 4L.

Any ideas?

I also need to know where I can find a mechanic for it since Isuzu is out of business.

tom4bren
03/19/2014, 12:13 PM
Welcome Tony

My TOD light flashes too after about 10-15 minutes of driving. It just hasn't been critical for me to fix it yet so it's been doing that for over a year.

There are a couple of speed sensors that can fail but it's also common for some of the connectors to get moisture in them. The best bet for starters is to climb under your VX & start unplugging every connector you can find, apply some di-electric lube & plug it back in. If that doesn't fix the problem then there is a way to read the trouble codes. That's a bit much to go into in the introduction thread though so if you're still having issues, start a thread so that we can give you more help.

JoFotoz
03/19/2014, 12:21 PM
Yup...what Tom said.

Plus...make sure all tires are even tread..and even pressure.

TOD is sensitive to that :)

jo

VehiTONY
03/19/2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks I will check that out asap.... The guy I got it from said he noticed the boots on the CV joints looked worn out. So I'll be checking those out also.

Jo, tires are brand new. Thnks for the info.

tom4bren
03/19/2014, 02:31 PM
Still check the pressure. I've had brandam new tires that leak. Also remember that if you still have OEM rims that the peeling chrome can also cause leaks.

Color me confused about the CV boots. They don't wear out. They are either whole or they are split. There isn't any signs of wear.

PK
03/19/2014, 04:34 PM
If your CV boots are worn (read split) then the CV's could be the source of the clicking, Do some turns on full lock in 4H, forwards and backwards. That should separate the noise and you can tell which wheel it is coming from.

PK

Norrin Radd
03/22/2014, 10:03 AM
Helloooo! New to the site and a first time VX owner, its a ebony/gray in color 99875 mi. got it about a week ago. So far its great it may use a little oil. and I had to fix both window tracks last night. No biggie. So far so good! looking to do a lift and get some better sound. Comming from colorado and n. new mexico, 4x4ing is pertty bleak around here :-( (Arlington Tx). Is there any meets in the DFW area? trying to get ready for MOAB baby!!!

PPinzino
03/28/2014, 07:21 PM
Hello, I just bought my first VX this week. I have really been wanting one for quite some time so when I saw it pop up on craigslist in my town I jumped all over it. Ended spending $5000 on it with 134k on the dash then an immediate $800 on it just doing basic maintenance at the shop I work at. Seems pretty solid so far, biggest issue is the driver side window regulator is destroyed beyond repair.

Frankenstein
03/29/2014, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the addiction Norrin Radd & PPinzino.

tracybz
04/06/2014, 10:51 AM
Hey.
I first spotted a VX on a car lot. It was an Ironman and it reminded me of a high top tennis shoe. I just had to have it. In 2001 I went to dealership and bought one. I have had it ever since!
I love it. Best car I have ever owned or driven. I, very unfortunately, am having to sell it. It's all original. No modifications. I'm the only owner. And have a bunch of recent pictures. It's currently parked and not being driven.
If you, or anyone you know is interested, please let me know.
Thanks. Tracy

Mile High VX
04/06/2014, 11:11 AM
You should start a post over in the Vehicles for Sale.

Also there is a questionnaire that it would be helpful for a potential buyer to understand more about your VX. Only takes a few minutes to complete and will save you numerous questions.

UWanna
04/25/2014, 06:46 PM
Just bought my VX about a month ago. It had some cosmetic problems that , at the time, I wasn't concerned about.
Now I like it so much I want to fix it up a bit.
Soooooo I'm looking for the front cladding, the grill, the right front headlight and the rear gate.
I've priced things out new and it looks like I could buy a whole other VX for about the same price.
I've searched this sight and most of the used stuff seems to be from waaayyy back when.
Any help on the best and, of course, cheapest way to get things would be appreciated

Maddawg
04/25/2014, 09:22 PM
Hey.
I first spotted a VX on a car lot. It was an Ironman and it reminded me of a high top tennis shoe. I just had to have it. In 2001 I went to dealership and bought one. I have had it ever since!
I love it. Best car I have ever owned or driven. I, very unfortunately, am having to sell it. It's all original. No modifications. I'm the only owner. And have a bunch of recent pictures. It's currently parked and not being driven.
If you, or anyone you know is interested, please let me know.
Thanks. Tracy

How much?

Mile High VX
04/26/2014, 06:34 AM
How much?

http://westmd.craigslist.org/cto/4409763918.html

$7,500 with 168K miles.

ANDYTHANH
05/06/2014, 11:22 AM
Hello friends. My name is Andy from Montgomery, Tx. Just bought an 2001 VX in green with 130k miles on new engine. I got it for my mom for Mothers Day. She needed an automatic so I got on craigslist for weeks to find her THE perfect vehicle.
I saw this vehicle back in 1997 and was so in love with it but wouldn't dare to dream as it was out of my reach back then. Love ,love, loved it so much! It was my Dream SUV. I love the styling , so futuristic yet so different in every way. There's so much that is in this SUV that words cannot describe. Here are the list that amazes me every time I'm in the drivers seat.
It's styling makes me feel like I'm driving something that is out of this world.
The seat height , driving view and comfortable suspension gives me a race car like feel.
The T.O.D display always makes me feel I'm always in control of the vehicle.
The suspension has a stiff top of the line feel. The driving characteristics seem to heightened all my senses as if I'm one with the machine.
My favorite features on this vehicross has to be the T.O.D , all wheel drive plus 4lo 4wheel drive system. I took it offroad while towing my atv through the sand and it drove through the sand like nothing. The T.O.D kicks in perfectly. This vehicross is the Ultimate Offroad vehicle. I can't say enough about it.

ANDYTHANH
05/06/2014, 11:29 AM
On a side note... I am an avid Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts. I also have an 2001 Jeep TJ Sport that I use as my weekend car. That jeep is my world. It's got 4" lift, winch, Trek Armor seat skins , 4.0 straight 6 engine . I can tell you that these two vehicles will always and forever be with me till the end. I will never part with either of the two. Of course my mom kept telling me to sell the jeep. Not happening. When I'm in the jeep. I feel in invincible. The only thing that's not invincible while driving the jeep is ... My wallet. Lol
But hey, you gotta pay to play.

tom4bren
05/06/2014, 11:30 AM
Just bought my VX about a month ago. It had some cosmetic problems that , at the time, I wasn't concerned about.
Now I like it so much I want to fix it up a bit.
Soooooo I'm looking for the front cladding, the grill, the right front headlight and the rear gate.
I've priced things out new and it looks like I could buy a whole other VX for about the same price.
I've searched this sight and most of the used stuff seems to be from waaayyy back when.
Any help on the best and, of course, cheapest way to get things would be appreciated

PM Buffy. He had quite a few pieces of cladding available recently.

Other than that, start a thread for what you are looking for so that members can post things that they have or can find. It'll all just get lost in this intro thread.

Hello friends. My name is Andy from Montgomery, Tx. Just bought an 2001 VX in green with 130k miles on new engine. I got it for my mom for Mothers Day. She needed an automatic so I got on craigslist for weeks to find her THE perfect vehicle.
I saw this vehicle back in 1997 and was so in love with it but wouldn't dare to dream as it was out of my reach back then. Love ,love, loved it so much! It was my Dream SUV. I love the styling , so futuristic yet so different in every way. There's so much that is in this SUV that words cannot describe. Here are the list that amazes me every time I'm in the drivers seat.
It's styling makes me feel like I'm driving something that is out of this world.
The seat height , driving view and comfortable suspension gives me a race car like feel.
The T.O.D display always makes me feel I'm always in control of the vehicle.
The suspension has a stiff top of the line feel. The driving characteristics seem to heightened all my senses as if I'm one with the machine.
My favorite features on this vehicross has to be the T.O.D , all wheel drive plus 4lo 4wheel drive system. I took it offroad while towing my atv through the sand and it drove through the sand like nothing. The T.O.D kicks in perfectly. This vehicross is the Ultimate Offroad vehicle. I can't say enough about it.

Yah, it sounds like you bought it for Mom.:)

I tried to tell my wife I bought the Proton for her ... she knew I was lying:)

Welcome to the VX family. It sounds like you're gonna fit right in.

VXCanada
05/06/2014, 03:02 PM
Hi, I'm Tom and a recently acquainted Vehicrosser. bought an '01 Kaiser with Black/Gray and about 100k miles. Am in love with the uniqueness and stand-out qualities of this marvelous car further multiplied by the fact that there are even fewer up here in Canada.

I would like to send a warm greeting out to the members of this forum which I've been following for a quite a while now and has been an integral part of my decision and filtering process.

My truck is currently in original stock form and in very clean shape from California. First order of business will be timing belt and fluid changes as it appears not to have been done yet and coming due.

T.

bartmanS4
05/06/2014, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the obsession Tom!!!

Jayd-S
05/06/2014, 08:24 PM
Hi, Jayd-S here. New to the family and new to VX. Have only been driving my 1999 Astral Silver - vin 1334 for two days now, but already feels like an old friend! My VX is a right hooker. (English slang for RHD). It was imported from Japan late last year, is in excellent condition and currently has 66,000 Kilometers on the clock (about 41,300 miles). Judging by its condition and general wear, I would say it is genuine. I came across it 3 weeks ago after my 300 series Mitsubishi Delica suffered a timing belt tensioner failure and I had it towed to an import service and repair garage on Vancouver Island. I wanted to have it repaired and also buy a new 400 series II Delica.

As I drove in to the lot, the Astral VX immediately caught my eye and I just knew I had to own it! Amazingly, I had never even seen one before! Turned out it was for sale but still had to be fitted with new tires and headlights to be approved to Department of Transport specs for North America.

Having come from Japan, it does have the reversing camera which is now hooked up to my JVC 7" touch screen sound system. Priceless! The engine however is the 3.2 litre version as opposed to the 3.5 litre produced for USA. I cannot say whether it makes much difference in performance but I will post back again with some gas consumption stats. Also the Recaro seats are fabric covered and not leather. Wheels are factory alloy 16" by 8" and I chose to have 245/70 R16 General Tires Grabber AT2. I was surprised to find that the slightly narrower spare tire is fitted to a full size alloy wheel. Everything else is standard.

Living on Vancouver Island (in square miles the same size as the states of Maryland and Delaware combined), there are over 35,000 miles of logging roads that can get you to amazing wilderness, emerald green lakes and your own personal beaches. Depending on your zest for life, the logging roads are graded from almost civilized to downright frickin hair raising! Take your winch and a parachute!

For the past 3 1/2 years I have been head down, balls to the wall working with my two partners building our Internet software company which is finally moving into exponential growth and now in 79 countries. I have not had much time to be adventurous but am seriously looking forward to doing some exploring with my new Astral VX.

A budy of mine has just gone back to Australia for a month to get married. I asked him if he would bring me back the Conqueror Australia UEV 440 trailer. It is an amazing off road trailer that is a perfect fit for the VX. Check it out on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvfDTaUVAo . Outstanding!

This is a great forum, I am glad to be among such a helpfull and supportive group!

Jayd-S

rtormet
05/07/2014, 10:05 AM
Hello, all!

I am a new vehicross owner for the second time. My first VX was a 1999 black with red interior that i loved! Purchased it back a few years ago while still in school - when i was about to graduate i decided to sell it.

I didnt know where i would be getting a job so i wanted to find something that got better has mileage and that would be easy to fix if anything happened. Well that was a bad choice because i missed it every day that it was gone. Nothing I got made me as happy as driving the VX. The Jeep CJ7 was close but it was bare-bones and utilitarian. The VX was somehting i could drive anywhere.

Well last week i picked up my 2001 Ironman VX. It may have a bad engine but i got a good deal. Planning on rebuilding or buying a long block from an axiom.

After searching the site again for things to do I believe i found my car's previous owner. mbeach

Looks like it was up in alaska and made its way to ohio by various means.

Well im very happy to have it and very happy to be back.

Thanks,
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/photo110.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24739)

Frankenstein
05/07/2014, 12:06 PM
welcome rtormet, im glad to see another in Ohio.

ANDYTHANH
05/07/2014, 01:57 PM
I'm glad to know there's just so many VX enthusiasts here. We are not alone. All VX owners are one. No one will understand us. It's a love it or hate it kind of vehicle. Oh well, just like jeeps, they wouldn't understand. Lol

UWanna
05/07/2014, 04:16 PM
PM Buffy. He had quite a few pieces of cladding available recently.

Other than that, start a thread for what you are looking for so that members can post things that they have or can find. It'll all just get lost in this intro thread.

I'll do that. I appreciate the response.

Runnin_On_E
05/08/2014, 11:57 AM
Hey everybody. I'm new to the site and to the Vehicross world but not new to Isuzu products. I've had a pickups, a rodeo, 2 troopers, and now a 99 black VX. It has some miles and needed cleaned up but it runs perfect and for 1200.00 I couldn't turn it down. Ordered a Calmini Kit last night and a set of 265/75/r16 Duratrac's will be following next week.

Looking forward to being apart of the site.

Thanks

JoFotoz
05/08/2014, 12:10 PM
Welcome!!

Hey everybody. I'm new to the site and to the Vehicross world but not new to Isuzu products. I've had a pickups, a rodeo, 2 troopers, and now a 99 black VX. It has some miles and needed cleaned up but it runs perfect and for 1200.00 I couldn't turn it down. Ordered a Calmini Kit last night and a set of 265/75/r16 Duratrac's will be following next week.

Looking forward to being apart of the site.

Thanks

Just FYI... if you can cancel the Calmini kit...
..... you can lift easily with just Old man Emu springs and torsion bar crank.
And save LOADS of $$'s.

See thread here.."913 experiment" for full details:-

www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15476&highlight=913+experiment

Cheers

Jo

PNW VXer
06/03/2014, 07:40 PM
Hey everybody, ive been lurking around this site for a couple months looking for a VX, and i finally found one!!:) it already has a few mods and was just what i was looking for. I searched the forum and it appears that it is dtruax's old one. This summer is going to be a blast!!:)

tom4bren
06/04/2014, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the family.

Post some pix when you get a chance.

Hades
06/08/2014, 06:57 PM
Hi!

I've wanted one of these since they came out when I was in high school. Well thanks to a posting on Jalopnik, I got a new to me Vehicross Ebony and it only took 12 hours of driving to get and bring back. I was worried about the dreaded oil burn, but either the engine never had it or was rebuilt at some point as 70 mph for 150 miles straight and then 140 miles of Trinity mountains hasn't shown any oil burn at all so far. It does have 143k miles on it but the engine, transmission, and suspension all seem great on it. Cladding is greyed (which the fiance actually prefers oddly enough), paint is swirled, rust free, windows bind, horn doesn't work, washer spray doesn't work, and driver side door seal has a couple tears; but besides that its great!

There is no known maintenance on it so I'll probably start with any greasing thats needed, oil change, tranny fluid change, and a timing belt/water pump/pulley change. May take it to a shop to put it up on a lift and see what the suspension and brakes look like afterwards.

Time to start searching threads and absorbing knowledge!

tom4bren
06/09/2014, 05:30 AM
I've wanted one of these since they came out when I was in high school. Well thanks to a posting on Jalopnik, I got a new to me Vehicross Ebony

... Time to start searching threads and absorbing knowledge!

CONGRATULATIONS

This summer is going to be a blast!!:)

If either of you want a "Maintenance Stuff" DVD that includes an e-copy of the Shop Manual, just make a site donation on the home page & PM me your address & I'll drop one in the mail to you.

DaGambit69
06/10/2014, 01:06 PM
Hello all,
I am Kent Cooper currently from Hampton, VA and after a very long wait, I finally have a Vehicross. I have always been an Isuzu fan and I also own a 2004 Rodeo (sad that I didn't get the 4x4 model). I plan to start upgrading my VX within the next couple of months to get it up to par with rest of the mix in here (hopefully) and i am definitely going to have to get me one of those "Maintenance Stuff" DVD.

tom4bren
06/12/2014, 06:41 AM
i am definitely going to have to get me one of those "Maintenance Stuff" DVD.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25415

Mozes
06/12/2014, 07:14 AM
Howdy! I am a new to VXer but have had just about every other Isuzu made. I am actually looking to go buy one today. Will keep you posted...

tom4bren
06/12/2014, 08:51 AM
Welcome Mozes. Best of luck in finding the right VX for you.

Vaso
06/22/2014, 01:41 PM
Hi all,

I finally got one:) 1997 Isuzu VX Japan model. I am now back to my homeland (Batumi, Georgia, EU) and would like reintroduce myself to this very helpful forum now with my own experience to share!

Vaso Trofimoff

VXobsession
06/23/2014, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the obsession! You will most likely not want to stop at just one!

jarvis
07/05/2014, 06:42 PM
Hi folks...wondering if I should use my real name or change it up a little....its
Jarvis....a name equally as odd and uncommon as this forums subject matter...so..........maybe in time I could do like..?..? ..jarvx..?.....ya....I think that'll work
Hope im not breaking any rules there ...well....at any rate my saga will start as follows....I saw it directly across the street from me....at a dodge dealership litterally across from my driveway.....the curiousity got me initially....for one , they hold very little used car inventory ...but number 2 there was something vaguely familiar about it....so...there it was, a 99 Kaiser silver...visually immaculate...like from a time capsule...but ...with a hundred thou on it....slightly over 196 mi or so.....well from all my research in the past two weeks I know that some shy away from the 99 model but........also read that I probably won't see another one for quite some time so.....not really sure either, of what the fixation was but...( do I need to even elaborate on that one ?lol )... ....long story short ...I pulled the trigger on it today...and I am nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs .......plus turned over a Chevy Blazer EXTREME to them...still owing $2,200 on it I figured that was money that would be better spent toward the VX....so with no further ado...I hope to gain A lot of insight into this intriguing little truck....should take possession tomorrow or Monday after I put the cash down their hand....b t w ...paying $6, 800 ....not that it would have really mattered....lol....but does that seem like somewhat of a reasonable price even if it is a 99....
Ps ...life is short andmI'm old so hoping to have an opurtunity to make it to moab one day....after I get to know folks and my new truck ..
.thx sincerly
Jarvis xxxxxx aka jarvx

jarvis
07/05/2014, 06:56 PM
Jarvx again....forgot something.....a question....when test driving for the second time ...last time was a week ago I guess....btw ...to be more clear on mileage it has around 100,196 on it....not bad for 15 yrs old....just hope it is a good sign and not a bad one. Anyway ...T O D seemed like it wanted to activate today on dry pavement when at a stop and the initial take off...but hesitated ...only slightly but felt almost like trans fluid was taking its time to exit torque converter if im saying that right....kinda like a sluggish stall converter.is this normal on the streets ? ...also how did i get my name on here ? i forgot...want to post a pic and edit name plus add vx number....thx

tom4bren
07/07/2014, 06:04 AM
Welcome Jarvx.

Yah, the TOD is active alla time. You should see some of the bars lighting up whenever you start up from a dead stop or punch it. It's a pretty trick set up with sensors monitoring wheel slip & applied torque to determine how much electrical pulsing to send to the transfer case.

It's hard to tell from your description if the tranny is in good health. I feel that our torque converter has a fairly high stall speed (compared to a sports car anyway ... but nothing like on a Caddy). Isuzu probably chose that to try to keep the VX from beating itself to death on the trails with wheel slippage. You may see higher rev's when starting up from a dead stop than you may have in your old Chebbie.

Get the dealer to check the tranny fluid level before you sign the papers. If that's OK & the shifting is smooth, then you'll probably be OK.

I'll hafta look on the home page to see where the menu is to edit your profile to update your user name.

EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to change your username. Mebbe send a PM to Moncha to have him change it for you. The rest of the stuff you want to do you can get to through 'edit user profile' from the quick links tab on home page.

DashboardRed
07/10/2014, 09:17 PM
I guess its about time I introduce myself...seeing as I joined the forum mid-December last year.

I primarily joined because I was obsessed with the VehiCross and was looking to buy one. OK...I am obsessed enough that I actually own 3 now! My first priority was to buy one for my 16 year old son to drive - figuring that these things are HFS (heck for stout - keeping it clean since there are ladies present) and any repairs necessary would give him a chance to learn a bit about maintaining a vehicle.

Talking the ex into the VX was actually easier than I had thought...she thought it was "cute". The first one I found (a Silver 2001) had the tranny removed and disassembled. The ex was far from interested in a vehicle that wouldn't even run. I decided I was up for the challenge and figured I'd just have to keep it for myself - especially since the price was right.

So the search for one for my son continued. I found an 1999 Ebony...the ex agreed to the price (read, agreed to pay half), so my son and I went and got it.

The story relative to #3 is actually pretty sad. In February, a propane leak in my basement led to my house blowing up. Yep, blew up! This subsequently caught my detached garage on fire, which ended up melting the front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, etc. off of his car because I didn't have keys and couldn't move it away from the garage. :( Also destroyed were a spare 3.5 engine, the 2001 tranny (which I had just finished re-building), and a lot of parts. I should also mention that my 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser that I was in the process of doing a frame-off restoration of was also lost. MAJOR bummer!

So the search for a "donor" VX began as soon as I found out how hard/impossible/expensive replacement parts are to find - buying a donor seemed quite reasonable by comparison. I found a listing for a White 1999 with a blown engine. Figuring this was a perfect match since I needed the cladding and more for my son's and the tranny for mine, I trekked half-way across the country and snagged it. What I didn't know until I got there was that this one was an Ironman and, to be honest, the best shape of the 3! My Silver 2001 became the donor. I pulled the necessary parts off and got my son's back on the road in fairly short order - luckily no mechanical damage like melted wiring harness, just the wires to the melted lights.

I swapped the engine from the 2001 into my Ironman (not knowing that it was actually good) and let out a HUGE wooop when it fired right up on first try on Father's Day. Been happily driving it since.

The 2001 will eventually get re-built (parts availability the main concern) - I am somewhat a diesel fanatic, so it will get a diesel engine in its new life. Long story short (if you overlook my tome...) this one-time drooler/ogler of this awesome vehicle has joined your proud ranks!

Thatguy
07/11/2014, 06:21 PM
Hey all, I just bought my first vx! Its a black 99, ome 913 springs are in the mail, planning on a set of goodyear duratrac's 285/75/16. New rims will be 16x8.5 with a +18offset. I'm shooting for the tire to be just even with the fender or sticking slightly out(please tell me if I am wrong!) I've done a little research on here to find just what I needed. Thank you

I saw my first vx 2 years ago and thought it was a pretty cool little SUV. I figured I'd never see another one again until about a week ago. I was actually trying to buy a jeep at an auction and seen this little thing sitting there absolutely filthy inside and out, but I knew its potential! Lucky for me, I was the high bidder!

I'm happy to find a vx community that I can learn so much from.

Cheers!
Donn

ThisGuyIndy
07/12/2014, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the obsession, Donn!!!

Jayd-S
07/12/2014, 12:29 PM
Hey all, I just bought my first vx! Its a black 99, ome 913 springs are in the mail, planning on a set of goodyear duratrac's 285/75/16. New rims will be 16x8.5 with a +18offset. I'm shooting for the tire to be just even with the fender or sticking slightly out(please tell me if I am wrong!) I've done a little research on here to find just what I needed. Thank you

Cheers!
Donn

Hi Donn, I'm pretty new here, but recently went with 16" X 8" Ultra rims, black with machined spokes on my 99 Astral. The offset was +10, the standard being +38. I did not use OEM 913s with spacers nor did I crank the torsion bars to get that extra front end lift. (Moncha did a great write up here: http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=8 )

For tires I used the General Grabber AT2 245/70 R 16. The Grabber has great traction, rain or dry and is great in snow and ice. The Grabber is the quietest on the highway and is really aggressive looking and also the best bang for the buck.

With the +10 offset and no lift, the tires were a 1/4" proud of the cladding at their widest point giving an aggressive look without appearing modified in any way. I also had to trim a tiny piece off the cladding bottom front of front wheel arch to allow clearance when turning.

With +18 offset (wheel sitting closer to the centreline of the vehicle than +10) and a 285/75 R 16 (wider tire) you should be sitting about the same, only with a slight lift, you won't be trimming any cladding!

Hope this helps. Jayd

jarvis
07/13/2014, 09:48 AM
I like the story ...how lucky an iron man edition....I feel a little better reading your post......I'm going to try to stay in the solution and not concentrate on the problem with my newly purchased VX.....maybe a turbo diesel down the road would be awesome with a 5 speed manual.....just kinda makes me feel in a way like just the body style is what a lot folks are in love with.......on the other hand I've read about mods concerning or oil circulation in the cylinders like drilling extra holes in the oil ring groove...adding extra trans coolers...etc.
I really like the idea of the 3.5 plus its alloy , so ....... (lightweight)....really would just like to take what's there and make as many improvements on it as I can and keep it as stock as possible with mild upgrades...at any rate I can see this is going to be an ongoing labor of love....

Harris' Dream Car
07/13/2014, 11:13 AM
My son, Harris, is now 22 and he has dreamed about owning a VX since age nine. I'm now 52 and his fantasies dragged me in to this deal. Saw this VX on Ebay two weeks ago and won the bidding war. Drove from south Alabama to Virginia to get it and now it's mine. Harris WILL get it in a few years, but I wanted to have fun first.
My name is Mark McKinney and I live in Jackson, Alabama. I am new to VX's, with only Virginia to Alabama driving experience - and I love it already!

ThisGuyIndy
07/13/2014, 02:51 PM
Awesome! Welcome Mark! Good for you and Harris!

ahdoman
07/15/2014, 06:00 PM
Well, after lurking around for a little while. I decided to join this weird corner of the motoring world. I've always thought the VehiCross was an exceptional vehicle (I tend to have a soft spot for underrated vehicles*) and told myself that if I ever had the opportunity to buy a good one at a good price I would. Today I did. 2001, White. But, it doesn't have the "Ironman" designations on it. Did they do white non-Ironmans or did a previous owner just remove the badging? Either way, I don't care. This thing is bitchin' (sorry, I was born in the 60's).

*a small sampling of the other "underrated collectables" I've owned;
- 1970 Porsche 914/6 w/2.7
- Saab 99 Turbo
- Dodge Dakota Shelby Convertible (Custom built by me, the only one in the world)
- Plus an odd assortment of bikes, mostly BMW's from the 80's.

Mile High VX
07/15/2014, 06:03 PM
This is the Pearl White from AZ. Congrats on a great purchase!

VXCanada
07/16/2014, 06:50 AM
Congrats and welcome :)

T.

TEXAGGIE-VX-01
07/19/2014, 11:38 AM
I figured id take the time to introduce myself to the board. My name is Craig, 28 and from the Austin TX ( Central Texas ) area. I bought my first VX last weekend down in Houston and absolutely love it. But man is it a challenge or what to find parts for it.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10419459_10204232363588109_3629423546934192873_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10458112_10204232365308152_6434984708658636605_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/t1.0-9/10464041_10204232364748138_4935874573157677291_n.j pg?oh=96914d641cdde78ce7942a7403b2404d&oe=54450FEB&__gda__=1412886888_42be461a482c8296eb1eea9cb7e12f3 9

Mile High VX
07/19/2014, 12:07 PM
I figured id take the time to introduce myself to the board. My name is Craig, 28 and from the Austin TX ( Central Texas ) area. I bought my first VX last weekend down in Houston and absolutely love it. But man is it a challenge or what to find parts for it.

Used to be one01proof's ride.

He had oil consumption issues with it so be sure to check your oil often and fill as needed.

TEXAGGIE-VX-01
07/19/2014, 01:26 PM
will do

eternal21
07/19/2014, 10:16 PM

Welcome! We have a large number of VXs in this area. If you're like, drop me your email address and we'll add you to our mailing list.

dfwvx
07/20/2014, 02:52 AM
Hi, in in the DFW area. I've had my vx for about 8 years but just recently started doing mods.
I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to lift 3 inches in the front and rear without losing cornering ability. I've got my RANCHO 9000XL'S ready for install when I get the info I need on the right springs and spacers to go with. I'd appreciate any advice.

waaaaht
07/21/2014, 06:11 AM
$40 on Amazon.Daystar KC09103BK Comfort Ride 1.5" Front Coil Spring Spacer Kit. Also, I got some rear springs out the junkyard for $20 (pair) off of a 99 trooper 4x4. $60 not bad for a lift. I bought some 912's from http://www.rocky-road.com/isuzu.html
that are still NIB if you're interested.

Otwobme
07/27/2014, 02:29 PM
Hello to all,
so im not sure were to began. i have wanted a VX sense they came out. the more rare they get i knew the chances were slimming... however about a month ago i found one with a blown motor on C.L. for $2500. after talking the guy down to $1500 i purchased it and started working on rebuilding the motor.
this was an easy rebuild sense the 3.5 is a non-interference motor. after i got the engine going i started everything else. here is a huge list that im sure will surprise some, remember this has all happen in about a month.
deep breath.... :bgwo: 2 inch diff drop, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift, custom toggle switch from a mini cooper, L.E.D Lights ALL the way AROUND, 15 inch rims sitting on 35" tires, Hella off road lights in front bumper with custom brackets, custom under vehicle air compressor, custom exhaust, 3K CFM electric Fan, custom 6.5 speakers in the back with tweeter, new 6.5 speakers in the front, 10" sub in back off to the left side were the jack used to be, custom Hidden Hitch made by ME... 3 inch gas tank lift. EXHALE>>>>>:winky: i own an automotive shop and on my down time on weekends and while the wife had girl nights this is what i was working on. this week i plan on putting 4.56s in it. LOL... now that i put it all down on here it does not seem like a lot...

Otwobme
07/27/2014, 02:31 PM
oh and just this past fri i bought an 99 Iron Man. not sure if im fixing it, use as a doner or selling it for parts. i have a guy that wants one like mine so maybe i can build it up and keep another one on the road.

JoFotoz
07/27/2014, 03:10 PM
WOW, you have been busy

NICE!!!!

Mark down Moab in May next year...

...and come wheel !

Jo

Otwobme
07/27/2014, 04:03 PM
That is something worth putting on the calendar. I'll be there. Now I just have to learn how to... Lol... Just getting into it. Anyone in colorado that wants to take a beginner wheeling let me know.

Triathlete
07/27/2014, 05:00 PM
Lots of people start off as beginners in Moab. We take good care of you :) Lots of experienced guys there that are happy and willing to help out when you encounter a rough spot.
Oh, and by the way...WE WANT PICTURES! :D

kuroshi
07/30/2014, 02:52 PM
Hey New to the community. Have loved the Vehicross since they came out and finally had the opportunity to buy one. Absolutely love it but I think I just blew the motor coming back from Oklahoma. I was just wondering if it is the motor can they be rebuilt or do you have to a used motor? Incase anyone has a clue, I was coming up a hill the engine got loud and stop pulling and then shut off as I coasted to a stop. The engine oil all came out the bottom. Any advice is appreciated?

VX KAT
07/30/2014, 07:06 PM
Hi kirushi-

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your VX.
I compiled a list of threads on the issue. You'll want to spend some time reading all of them.

It covers threads on oil consumption, engine failure, polls, experience, etc....

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3756&highlight=ENGINE+FAILURE+POLL

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16854&highlight=ENGINE+FAILURE+POLL

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17228&highlight=engine+oil+poll

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=166184#post166184

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=axiom+DI

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16136&highlight=axiom+DI

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14775&highlight=iamironman

Here's the thread from Iamironman...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16157&highlight=built+2000

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=engine+swap+axiom

Several theories on Isuzu design defect in rings that causes oil consumption:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14548&highlight=brand+pcv+valve
There's a ton of threads and much discussion about the oil consumption issue in many VXs.
Here's a list of many threads I put together where it's discussed:

What is your oil consumption? - lots of discussion:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=247376&highlight=rotella#post247376

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=251128&postcount=163

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22034

*****INDEPTH info from Isuzu Master Mechanic on oil holes, oil viscosities - Jerry Lemond's opinion, uses Rotella (**SEE POST #20, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 printed below**)
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24140&highlight=rotella

Mobil1
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24193&highlight=rotella

What type oil should I use?
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24017&highlight=rotella

What is your preferred oil? From 2010 Rotella, Mobil1, Eneos (post #30, #39
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19057&highlight=rotella

Finally had to add a bit of oil- talks alot about filters also
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24095&highlight=rotella

High mileage vs. synthetic oil - (etlsport 2009)
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15377&highlight=M1-105

LittleBeast blown engine- ***good references on Isuzu issue, oil function, Rotella -see post #20
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23312&highlight=rotella

Marvel Mystery Oil - discusses detergent effect
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23672&highlight=rotella
Marvel Mystery Oil website:
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

Rotella T15w40
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=189932&postcount=297

Rotella
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17697&highlight=rotella

Rotella- post #24 by "Buffy"
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19547&highlight=rotella

Isuzu bulletin confirms oil use 1 qt /1000 miles
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16854&highlight=rotella

pbkid describing how his engine oil caused blown engine:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=258790&postcount=175

MarekB
07/31/2014, 11:28 AM
Hello,
I invite you to my new blog: www.vehicross.pl (or www.vehicross-poland.blogspot.com).
I am writing in Polish, but the google translator tool (which is available on my website) easily translates into English or any other language in the world.

Otwobme
08/01/2014, 01:13 AM
I get pictures loaded, I'm going to the pit rally race this weekend, they are going to be hitting speeds over 200mph on public road...oh yea, I have a booth there going to showcase the VX hope to bring in some business. after it slows I will start uploading pics.

Sakkie
08/01/2014, 05:54 AM
...and I'm from South Africa. I was standing at attention during that bit :p

Came across this site through Google, and haven't really had time to browse around a lot. Three posts up must have the longest list of usefull links I've seen in years. That's going to take me a while to work through.

Haven't got a Vehicross yet. The import control measures here make it almost impossible to bring it in legally. One or two of them around here, all on bordering country plates.

I'm currently busy (again) trying to buy one from Japan. We're RHD, and can't roadworthy anything LHD.... Already got the proforma invoice. Waiting for the approval, based on the vehicle being collectable. That's the only chance I've got. Should know by this time next week.

Isuzu is a very well supported make in South Africa. For years it's been one of the top selling Light Trucks.

I've got an Isuzu Frontier, you guys call it a Wizard? or Frontera? One mean offroader. I've cut out the independant front suspension and fitted a solid front axle while fitting the rear diff (Dana44 clone) under the leafs. If you Google "+Sakkie +Isuzu" you'll find her. She's just plain mean.

You guys have the 3.5 VX, in Japan it was the 3.2. We've got those 3.2 engines running in light trucks. many of them around here. Also some 3.5s, but they are rare. Isuzu diesels are more popular here than petrols.

When I hear about my purchase authorisation, I'll be back.

Ldub
08/01/2014, 07:55 AM
That looks like a great adventure you had...:thumbup:
Enjoyed reading about it & seeing the pics.

Oh, nice rig, that's a Rodeo here in the states.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/PaulC-B/BaboonsDec2011/Sakkie_P1070076.jpg

Beautiful !

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/PaulC-B/BaboonsDec2011/Sakkie_P1070369.jpg

And this is BRILL !!!

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/PaulC-B/BaboonsDec2011/PCB_IMG_4482.jpg

PK
08/01/2014, 08:01 PM
Wow, Sakkie, that is some beautiful countryside there.
And you guys are not afraid to push your vehicles either.

Good luck with getting your VX.

PK

Sakkie
08/02/2014, 03:29 AM
Thanks guys. That little Rodeo kicks serious butt....and takes names.
On youtube check out Jeep vs Fortuner. Obs 3 was the real tester. The Suz had to show that it is in fact doable......
Ill keep you guys updated on my VX progress....hold thumbs please.

LaurieKuzdal
08/11/2014, 03:08 PM
Hi members: My name is Laurie and I'm a newbie to this type of thing so please excuse me if I am not posting correctly. I just inherited a Vcross which I believe is a year 2000? It belonged to my friend who was a paraplegic and had hand controls installed. Unfortunately the controls got stuck and he hit a telephone pole to stop the vehicle from going into on coming traffic. The Vcross has 5600 original miles on it if I recall correctly and I was told about four years ago that with a new battery it would start. Not sure how to post photos here but I took a bunch and wondered if anyone had advice to me as to how to best sell this vehicle now that my friend has passed away. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laurie

JoFotoz
08/11/2014, 03:45 PM
Hi Laurie

Sorry to hear you inherited this from losing a good friend.

There are a couple of options depending on the amount of damage to the car.
Possibly fix, or part out for spares... and parting out is a BIG job....
...both in actual dismantle time, and packaging/sending etc.

Was the car written off, so a salvage title..or simply damaged and no insurance involved?
Do you have an idea of price you want..as it stands.

As for pics.. if you care to send me some showing damage and general condition..
... I may be interested, and I'll also happily post them up here for you
so others can look and give input too.

Send to:- JoFotoz@san.rr.com

Thanks

Jo

VX KAT
08/11/2014, 03:48 PM
Hi Laurie

Sorry to hear you inherited this from losing a good friend.

There are a couple of options depending on the amount of damage to the car.
Possibly fix, or part out for spares... and parting out is a BIG job....
...both in actual dismantle time, and packaging/sending etc.

Was the car written off, so a salvage title..or simply damaged and no insurance involved?
Do you have an idea of price you want..as it stands.

As for pics.. if you care to send me some showing damage and general condition..
... I may be interested, and I'll also happily post them up here for you
so others can look and give input too.

Send to:- JoFotoz@san.rr.com

Thanks

Jo

Great minds Jo! :yeso:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19721

VXRick
08/12/2014, 07:37 AM
Got the 00 Vehicross on the cheap and am bringing it back to life.

Not the original motor, I was informed it was replaced by the previous owner. Talked to the shop who installed it and could not get much information on the age or mileage. They did tell me they installed a new timing belt, so that is a plus. Motor sounds good, no leaks under vehicle.

So far I flushed the motor and filled with synthetic mobile 1 5w30.
All fluids are full and seem good for now.
Installed new Serpentine belt and pvc valve.
Got windshield washer fluid and driver side window working.
CV boots are torn, parts are on order.
A smoker owned the car, had to bombed the inside of the vehicle a couple times, seems to be smelling neutral again.
The Cladding needs attention and I am getting quotes on a paint job. I will put this off until last when I feel confident about the vehicle. I doubt I will stick with yellow but maybe.
Inside of Rims in flaking. For now I will wire brush and spray a high temp paint. New tires on order.
Running sea foam in fuel tank for a bit, after I will replace fuel filter.

I will be taking it to Crestone Needle in the Sangre de Cristo Range in a couple weeks. This should tell me more about the vehicle.

That is my Vehicross experience so far, love the forum...

tom4bren
08/12/2014, 08:18 AM
Rick,

My Proton was 12 in front of yours on the production line.:)

Welcome to the family.

Tom

ANDERS
08/21/2014, 12:18 PM
http://content31-foto.inbox.lv/albums/a/anders33/Mail-Attachments/IMG-20140725-WA0000.sized.jpg?1407785177

MSHardeman
08/21/2014, 12:32 PM
AWESOME! Very intrigued.

Frame off restoration, or are you looking to sell the rolling frame?

Maddawg
08/21/2014, 07:07 PM
http://content31-foto.inbox.lv/albums/a/anders33/Mail-Attachments/IMG-20140725-WA0000.sized.jpg?1407785177

Is that you in the bathroom taking a leak, lol.

Sakkie
08/25/2014, 11:47 PM
Good luck with getting your VX.

I GOT HER!!!!!!!! I can jump over the roof right now!!!

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=303967&d=1408941425

shinte03
08/31/2014, 06:41 AM
My first introduction to the VehiCROSS was about five years ago when my friend purchased one and over the years I got the opportunity to go for a ride in it several times. I told him at the time if he ever decides to sell it to give me first shot at it. Well fast forward five years and he is down sizing his fleet and moving to Texas with a career change. Well he gave me first shot and I didn't hesitate, so I'am now a proud owner of a VehiCROSS. I am now working towards putting my own touches to the VehiCROSS. Great site with a lot of helpful information. I have already PM'ed Jason165 about getting some flaps and knobs. Hope to enjoy the community and the VehiCROSS for a long time!

nocturnalVX
09/01/2014, 06:38 AM
I don't check this thread often, but I wanted to say howdy to all the new VXers.

Howdy! :wave:

1999E
09/02/2014, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm the original owner of my 1999 VX. I have enjoyed driving her off road, inclement weather, all surfaces, and she's performed admirably in every situation. But now due to age I suspect, despite careful maintenance, she's beginning to have some problems and it is only now I'm discovering how rare she is, and how advanced technologically she was for her time. May I ask if anyone has experienced sensor difficulties, that is she's trying to go into four wheel high when not required. Her torque on-demand system is not functioning appropriately and after much head scratching and computer code reading, my mechanics are suggesting sensor replacements --not only a throttle sensor but another slip sensor is well. They say if I simply disconnect the four-wheel-drive capability, I will also lose ABS braking which sounds unsavory. Has anyone had to replace the sensors and if so what is been your experience? Thank you so much for your time.

Triathlete
09/02/2014, 04:18 PM
^^^see reply on other post.

Bird Dog 36
09/16/2014, 02:31 PM
Hello to all. Just purchased a 2000 Black VX on Friday. I have always wanted one, so now that I have ADD, ADHD, IBS, and PTSD I thought that I would buy one. What a fun rig to drive; and already the Lookie Lu's are checking it out. I hope that I never get tired of explaining what it is. Just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to catching up on some of the info contained here-in. (I know, I know....use the search button first.)

Mile High VX
09/16/2014, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the addiction...and it is...:bwgy::bgwo:

Lots of CO VXers around...check out the post for the coffee meet on September 27th...be great to have you join us.

Ldub
09/16/2014, 06:57 PM
(I know, I know....use the search button first.)

Gotta l:heart:ve a new guy that comes out da gate STRONG...:thumbup:

Welcome, frum a ol' timer.

Bird Dog 36
09/16/2014, 08:17 PM
Mile High, Thanks for the invite, I signed up as a maybe, due to possible Kid sports conflict; but otherwise I look forward to going.

Also, thanks to you & Ldub for the warm welcome.:thanx:

bnickoloff
09/20/2014, 11:59 AM
I heard this winter in Michigan is supposed to be worse than last year which it was pretty bad so started craigslisting for a 4x4 and accidently stumbled across this vehicle I've never seen or even heard of in my life it looked like a futuristic apocalypse style vehicle and instantly was interested looked it up on YouTube seen it in moab drove 2 hours to look at it took it for a little drive and bought it it's a little worn interior wise and has some problems like abs, the transfer case might need replaced but 4w works, a little oil leak, trans leak and check engine light sometimes gets stuck between gears the guy said it was a sensor but it's worth the risk its like having a lambo but more rare to see I'm a proud owner already

VxSport
09/21/2014, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the group
Its nice to see another vx in Michagin

circmand
09/22/2014, 08:25 AM
I heard this winter in Michigan is supposed to be worse than last year which it was pretty bad so started craigslisting for a 4x4 and accidently stumbled across this vehicle I've never seen or even heard of in my life it looked like a futuristic apocalypse style vehicle and instantly was interested looked it up on YouTube seen it in moab drove 2 hours to look at it took it for a little drive and bought it it's a little worn interior wise and has some problems like abs, the transfer case might need replaced but 4w works, a little oil leak, trans leak and check engine light sometimes gets stuck between gears the guy said it was a sensor but it's worth the risk its like having a lambo but more rare to see I'm a proud owner already

Check oil level every time you fuel up. These can burn oil pretty fast and you don't want a blown motor added to the list of problems

ValdoVx
09/22/2014, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone!!.. I'm new here and from "The Windy City" Chicago and proud owner of a 2001 white Ironman 124k miles. I've been interested in this VX for a long time and finally had the opportunity to purchase one...Yessss!... Thanks to everyone in this forum I was able to buy this great ride with lots of confidence and plan on learning so much more.

Given2Fly
09/23/2014, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Justin and I'm new here. Just bought a 2001 Foxfire VX. I live in Arkansas and bought it sight/unseen from a dealership in Chicago. I've been dreaming of owning one of these for 14 years now and finally all of the stars aligned (My car was totaled) and my fiance' bought it for me. I'm so happy with it! I had it shipped from Chicago to Arkansas. I didn't want to risk driving 10 hours in a car I had no idea how well it ran. Anyway, it's my primary car now so lets hope it stays in working order... I'm so happy this site exists to help me in my new VehiCROSS endeavor. Thanks in advance for all of your help guys!!!

Given2Fly

Mile High VX
09/24/2014, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the addiction Justin!

I'm originally from the Little Rock area.

Keep plenty of oil in the engine and you'll enjoy your VX for a long time to come.

VX KAT
09/24/2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks in advance for all of your help guys!!!

Given2Fly

and a few gals....;) ...... :thumbup:

WillyLin
09/24/2014, 11:21 PM
just picked up my first VX (still own the 93 trooper) !! harro everyone!

MSHardeman
09/25/2014, 08:58 AM
Nice Willy. Welcome to the dark side. :thumbup:

JoFotoz
09/25/2014, 09:39 AM
Awesome Willy :thumbup:

just picked up my first VX (still own the 93 trooper) !! harro everyone!

Glad ya got her, and got her home safe..
....I almost feel like I was the midwife !!!!

Cheers

jo