PDA

View Full Version : Dash (?) Rattle help

Ron Pfeiffer
03/10/2004, 02:02 PM
Hey all,
I have developed a non-metallic rattling noise that seems to be coming from my dash area - sounds like somewhere behind the tach/fuzzy hole, though obviously that could be deceiving. I suppose it could be coming from the firewall, and only *sound* like the dash. Its kinda hard to put your ear to the dash and keep your eyes on the road at 70 mph. . .
It happens intermitantly, hot or cold. Usually on the highway at speed, but occasionally in my nieghborhood as low as 20mph too.
Before I dive under the dash and scour the firewall looking for the source, is this an issue others have had and solved? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ron

Spy Hunter
03/10/2004, 05:36 PM
When I took my dash off for the first time, a screw fell out! ;eekb;

AlaskaVX
03/10/2004, 05:39 PM
One commonb squeek/rattle is the hood, its something about putting electrical tape or something on the hood latch, also there are 2 rubber "spacers" on the middle sides of the hood that might have fallen out or gotten squeeky somehow? just something to look into.

Heraclid
03/10/2004, 07:46 PM
Wish I could help, but the only thing remotely like that I've experienced is my A/C system being a bit louder than it probably should be.

SPAZZ
03/10/2004, 07:56 PM
I developed a rattle in my dash when I got it back from Isuzu after they kept it for a month and a half tearing out and replacing god only knows what to try and remedy the problem my VX had...personally I think it was posessed....it even tried to puke pee soup but only black bile came out

Ron Pfeiffer
04/18/2004, 06:32 PM
Hey all,

I found the source of that hideous and elusive rattle seemingly coming from the dash. It was the VIN/Data plate riveted to the firewall in the engine compartment, directly ahead of the fuzzy-hole area of the dash. It was loosely riveted, and would vibrate like crazy at certain speeds or rpms. I both isolated the source of the noise and solved the problem temporarily by wedging a piece of cardboard behind the plate; I will do a permanent fix tomorrow. Thought I'd post this in case anybody else has this problem:

Mystery Rattle Source (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3655)

On a more amusing note, I also found this little guy when I took my center console out during cleaning:

Stowaway (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3654)

Guess he belonged to the first owner. How he ended up under the console box is anybody's guess. I think I'll keep him in the glove box as a good luck talisman . . .

Ron