PDA

View Full Version : works in progress...longish..

Maverick
03/10/2004, 07:12 AM
awhile back , i posted some questions on rear safety mods, gps, and some other things..since then ive made a bit progress with these mods. it goes slow, since i dont have allot of time, but im getting there little by little...
My biggest concern was/is the rear blind spot, so thats where im concentrating "phase 1" of of my modifications.
For about $35 i picked up a "back up radar" system off ebay. this system has two sensors which are actually modified tranducers, making it a simple sonar system in actuality from what i see. they mount in the rear of the vehicle. i cut them into the rear cladding just inside the rear reflectors by drilling a 3/4 inch hole on each side. it worked out well as i had large scuff in that area, which is now mostly gone as i was able to install a sensor dead center of the worst part of it. i used tape to creat a grid on the rear clading to properly align and ensure equal spacing, time consuming but well worth the effort.. then i just ran the wires from behind the clading and up into the rear cargo area and mounted the brain box inside the kick panel above the jack, along with the piezzo type speaker (gawd its loud, i had to wrap it in foam, and its still loud..)Power comes from a tap into the reverse light harness, right there above the jack housing. It also has a led bar graph display, which im still working on integrating into the fuzzy hole with a custom housing including the lcd 1.8 inch display for the camera. but the system works without the led display via the annunciator. In testing, the sensor pick up within about 5 feet behind the truck, and sense a few feet to each side as well, they also pick on "walk bys" from left to right..pretty cool stuff and no more wories about backing over the neighbors kids..or bikes for that matter..
the rear view camera (lipstick type b&w for better night visibility, about $70 last year) and door poper(tone, $85) are also in, but need wiring from the rear cargo area to the front.. im working "back to front" taking care of multiple items in each area as i go..
the biggest challenge is creating the "control center" for these items..not only the custom mounting housing, but also including over ride switches (necessitaing switching diodes so nothing fries) to enable the camera not only to come on automaticly when reversing, but also to be available on demand. the housing iteself is also quite a challenge since im using bits and pieces , a piece of abs plastic i litterly found on the ground in a parking lot, and other such scavenged materiels (switches from an old radar detector, etc..) and trying to cram all these bits into a very small space..ill get it, itll take time though..
i also saw a pretty cool non related item in the new Bently's, theyre using super bright LED's in the overhead to softly illuminate the shift console area. you only see the light where it "hits" things, and it doesnt illuminate the "air" very cool item i plan to experiment with,... But the most difficult thing so far is adding these items without adding much weight. being performance oriented, i want toys but not wieght (lighter = faster) the combined wirght of all these items including wiring is under 6lbs..wire is heavy and so is the door popper solinoid......but not too bad...
As for the carputer, video recorder, and gps, im experimenting with a touch screen kiosk i picked up for $200 to learn how they work and what i need to do there, the experimental unit will end up as a home video/mp3 server when im done playing and ill build an itx pc, but thats a ways off for the moment..

there are some pics in my gallery and ill add more as i have time if this stuff interests anyone...

azskyrider
03/10/2004, 09:37 AM
Holy Cow K.I.T.T. (http://www.scifi.com/knightrider/)

Knight Rider, a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Maverick, champions the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

A lone crusader in the dangerous world... the world of the Knight Rider.

:cool!:

VX_PA
03/10/2004, 11:20 AM
That would be cool if someone made a new version of KITT but use a Vehicross instead of Pontiac TA. Screens everywhere, Turbo boost buttons, instead of just windows darkening when needed a paint job that changes when needed, and tons of laser amunition. Now that's the job the VX was made for. :D

azskyrider
03/10/2004, 12:01 PM
Don't forget "Super Pursuit" mode!:naughty:

Maverick
03/11/2004, 07:17 AM
LOL, KITT!! i was thinking more along the lines of "H.A.L" without the split personality option....

in the end, some of these upgrades will in fact be very "James Bond" like..down the pike will be several surveilance cameras integrated into the VX (maybe one even infrared capable), viewable and recordable via another LCD screen (main reason for the carputer) ,possibly voice activated if i can figure it out... for use as as "race cams" and also for professional reasons... ive even been toying with using power mirror motors to allow some remote pitch and yaw for them, but most mirror motors are much to large to be practical, well see ....
its not easy though, they have to be durable and the mounting is critical, dont want them shifting when i take the truck wheels up and play "air VX".. :D

johnnyapollo
03/11/2004, 07:37 AM
Naoiki has multiple cameras, on overhead bank of switches for accessories, heads-up-display, multiple tft screens and all sorts of stuff. Crazy stuff!

http://homepage3.nifty.com/vehi/ieterior/ieterior.htm

-- John

coachreed
03/13/2004, 08:11 PM
I had started gutting my system in the VX in preparation for my carputer system just before the motor quit. I will continue the work after it is running again as I need wheels...

I have a VIA Epia M10000 Nehimiah motherboard sitting, waiting for installation... along with a 120GB hard drive, CD RW/DVD ROM drive, 3.5" floppy drive, 512MB RAM, 7" touchscreen monitor, and Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound board (supporting up to 7.1 surround sound, DVD Audio, and THX certified)... I also have a couple of other small mini PC's and am considering a network in the VX so I can have GPS running (displayed on the steering wheel in place of the airbag) and a Virtual Dashboard in place of my gauge cluster which will display information from my scan tool for my motor/trans ECU. I will also have a Playstation2 gutted and fix mounted so that only the drive, buttons, and controller ports are in view. I have my speakers for 6.1 surround sound (front mains, surrounds front center, a rear center plus subs) and my amps should be here in the next week or so (Alpine MRD-M500 (2), MRV-F540, and MRV-T320)... lots of work to do... oh yeah, I will also have my rear view camera integrated into the system.

Anyway... I hope I can get back to work on things soon... its driving me nuts having all of these gadgets sitting here waiting to be installed.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Coversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Maverick
03/14/2004, 05:52 AM
heh, lots of gizmo freaks on here i see :)
im running power at this point. i didnt want to go digging around in the factory fuse system and trying to add thing that it wasnt designed for (especially after reading that some had issues with the tranny after adding remote starters-sensitive electrics.) Ive been this route before having completely rewired a few euro vehicles (may Lucas burn in hell for all eternity,oopps flashback ;eekb; ) Anyhow, i pulled a factory fuse panel at the bone yard from a nissan, trimmed the excess and bridged it into two sections, one for constant and one for ignition with six fuses each available for my add ons. And ive run a 14 gauge wire directly to the battery (ill probably add a voltage regulated capacitor later for "pure" power., havent gotten that far yet though. the new box is only about 2x5" but i havent found a suitable place to mount it yet that i could get too easily if needed, but thats still under the dash area someplace..the alternative is in the rear kick panel, but i really dont want to cut in an access hatch if its not absolutely necessary, and itll make for longer wire runs (less efficient and more weight, not to mention more of a pita).. And i still need to ad an ignition power source, havent figured that out yet either, but ill probably use a relay tripped by a key on circiut and bridge the 14 gauge as the "real" power source..
Off this fuse box i should be able to run just about any accessory i want, with no stress to the factory wiring.. And use smaller (lighter) gauge wire whereever possible to make my power connections.. ill probably also install a small aux fuse box in engine area as well for fogs and such later on.. the power ill need really isnt that great, but i didnt want splices all over ,or a dozen in line fuse add ons to deal with if one blows..harder to install, but much easier in the long run...

azskyrider
03/24/2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
Naoiki has multiple cameras, on overhead bank of switches ......
-- John

Does he manufacture and sell this stuff?

Are there any Web browsers that can translate? Would like to know what switches does what.