PDA

View Full Version : New ascender engines

hchen
03/08/2004, 05:37 PM
they got a 4.2L V-6 pumping out 275hp 275 lbs of torque
and a 5.3L V-8 pushing 290hp and 325 lbs of torque on the new ascenders....was wondering if they could be dropped into a VX

Spy Hunter
03/08/2004, 06:01 PM
Probably not easily....those are straight GM engines. Ask Coachreed how easy THAT is! ;)

TEXNTEG
03/10/2004, 12:42 PM
hell, they are GM suv's with a new grille and badging. uses the GMC envoy interior.
plus, a better warranty.

coachreed
03/10/2004, 04:52 PM
I would expect the V-6 to go fairly easily in comparison to the V-8. The good news from my understanding... is that if they are indeed the counterpart of the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada, they should be outfitted with a 4L60E transmission a transfer case that has the wanted/needed right hand from drop. With that being said, the 5.3L has the same physical dimensions as the 5.7L I am putting into my VX... will it fit? YEAH! But it won't be easy. I am getting close but this little knee injury has me totally screwed... not looking good to make it to Moab for a debut. :( I am looking at 4-6 weeks of physical therapy for a torn PCL and partially torn ACL of the left knee! OUCH this sux! Anyway, yeah, you could make it work... but those drivetrains aren't gonna be cheap... at least not for awhile... they just made it to the street... gonna be awhile before they are over-abundant in the salvage yards.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Coversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

driver3
03/11/2004, 05:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that's a straight 6, but I'm not positive. That's the new GM I-6 270+ HP

coachreed
03/11/2004, 05:25 PM
I have heard of the I-6 that GM has and I guess its modular because the I think I heard that there is an available I-5... sounds weird to me... not positive though that there isn't a V6... whatever though... if it has the 4L60E and the Isuzu T150 Transfer case (right hand front drop) they would be a good alternative for the VX IMO.

TTYL!

Daver
03/22/2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by coachreed
I have heard of the I-6 that GM has and I guess its modular because the I think I heard that there is an available I-5... sounds weird to me... not positive though that there isn't a V6... whatever though... if it has the 4L60E and the Isuzu T150 Transfer case (right hand front drop) they would be a good alternative for the VX IMO.

TTYL!

Colorado and other S-10 replacement pickups get the I5, Trailblazer and other siblings get the I6.

Yes, it's modular.

-Daver