PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 mile service gone wrong?

yal^
03/06/2004, 06:03 PM
Friday I took my baby to the dealer for 30,000-mile service, for reasons, I do not understand exactly, but... I got scared they will void my warranty, and I listened to someone here saying "let them make some money, and they will take care of you later", and...

Anyway, apparently among other things they do, they rotated my tires. I told them to leave them as they are, since I got free rotation and balance, and the whole tire service from Discount Tire - they put new wheels on, they service them for life. Service department didn't listen, telling me it's my fault, because guy at the desk couldn't understand me. I have a slight accent, but I speak clearly and loud, so that was more offensive, than anything else.

I jumped on highway on my way home, and got very upset, as my baby was "ill-riding". The steering wheel started vibrating really bad once I hit 40 mph. It got a tad better after 60 mph, but it only stopped vibrating close to 80 mph. It was quite bad, felt like there is about half an inch loose in steering wheel, I had trouble to hold it.

It's Saturday, so dealer's service department was closed, and I didn’t have anyone to yell at. I took it back to DT instead, and they balanced my tires again, telling me the log nuts were not tighten either. Nice. I took it home. It was fine, but then I got very slight vibrations at about 55 mph. Of course it could've been tire guys that messed up this time, but they know my truck really well, and I never had problems with them.
So here is the question: what else could've been sc***ed up while servicing to make steerin wheel vibrate? I am mechanically challenged, so I am very careful with those things. And do they really flush all the fluids or only pretend to do it? And one more: I always thought that for tune-up spark plugs should be replaced, not just cleaned, or maybe I am wrong?
Any answer would more than helpful at this point, as I am a bit upset. Thx.

Kasia

jayfotos
03/06/2004, 06:37 PM
I had the same feelings as you, I went to my dealer for a 30k.....they wanted $800....I laughed and got back in my truck.

I went to a Econo-Lube and got....

New fuel filter
Flushed and changed out trans filter and gasket
Front and rear Differential
Oil and filter

$300....and watched them do it.

I'm not very happy with my dealer, I asked them to fix my window recently for the forth time(amonst other stuff) while I was out of town. I spoke to my service adviser while I was out of town and he said the machanic said he did'nt notice anything wrong with the window(it was clearly sliding off track). I told the adviser that, hoping he would fallow up and check it....got back home, picked up my truck.....the window was the same as I left it...jerk-offs!

nocturnalVX
03/07/2004, 01:46 AM
Hey Kasia,
I hope it wasn't Suburban that gave you such grief! They've been great to me. What happened?

yal^
03/07/2004, 03:43 PM
Gill, I didn't want to say, not to upset you, but it was them. I know you got excellent service. I did too first time I went. I e-mailed you about it.

The thing is that Kevin wasn't there when I brought my VX. I spoke to him only once, and it was when I couldn't leave the car for check up. There is one guy that insists on taking my car in, and absolutely cannot understand what I am saying to him. I tried to talk to someone else, but it almost never works out. Finally I had my hubby to call them and explain what is needed. That took only an hour. You see, the mix up could come from the fact, that I had them put on a roof rack that I brought with me, bought at different dealership. I wanted the roof rack on, then the service - maybe too much at one time. Multitasking is a hard thing for some.

About my wheels. I read the booklet, and it does say they will rotate tires as a part of service. Maybe we weren't clear enough on it, and they did it anyway, so I don't blame anybody. The thing is, that they let me out without tightening the log nuts. It is fixed now, and I do not want to think of it again. BTW, shouldn't they balance them while rotating?
And the vibrations I feel now on higher speed are probably from the fact, that the wheels are rotated, so I need to give it time for a different wear. Those are a bit beefy tires, still relatively new, and I think it's might be just "new tire effect," if you know what I mean.
At the end my pocket is hurting a lot. It was very expensive service, so I was very upset knowing something did not go the right way. I am sure service guys at Suburban know what they are doing; I was just tired of repeating myself over and over again, and not getting the results.

Chopper
03/07/2004, 04:06 PM
just a guess. The rear tires were not balanced correctly , when moved to the front you noticed. They could have worn themselves "out of round" while running out of balance in the rear. This would also explain the difficulty getting the vibration out now.

yal^
03/07/2004, 05:18 PM
It's possible, although unlikely. I coudn't tell now even if I wanted. The ride is getting better now, and I am sure my wheels won't fall off, so if Discount Tire didn't balance them properly now it will show in the future for sure...

nocturnalVX
03/07/2004, 09:46 PM
I know it depends on whom you talk to, and how willing they are to LISTEN (not just wait 'til you stop talking & do what they want), but I'm very ticked that they messed with your wheels after you told them not to. Then they don't even bother to tighten the lug nuts completely?!? I hope that's not signs of things to come with them. I'm going there tomorrow or Tuesday for a few minor things. I'll try not to jump on the service guys too much, but I will say something. I know it's too late now, but you should've called me or posted here that you had a roof rack in need of install. I'm sure it would have been enough to get a little meet happening.
Wrenching at Kasia's!!! :smack:

Oh, and by the way... you are not that hard to understand Kasia. I've got a couple of co-workers from India that make me think I have brain damage when they speak. I hear sort of what sounds like words I know, but my brain can't decipher the meaning. Yikes!

AnalogVX
03/08/2004, 08:38 AM
You are not hard to understand at all Kasia. It was just the service guys not listening like Gil said. The guy probably had an issue following instructions from a woman. Sorry you had trouble, a good shop is hard to find.

yal^
03/08/2004, 01:42 PM
Thx you guys. Sometimes I doubt myself ;)

Gill, please don't say anything. It's nice of you, but I might have to deal with them again, and don't want to be classified as "one of those". I am sure it wasn't the guy at the desk that left my log nuts loose, and I really don't want to get anyone in trouble. It's over. From now on I know to speak only with Kevin or that other guy with goat tee. Nice man, sorry I don't know his name.

And yeah... I should've called you about roof rack. Doh... I didn't think about it :( But nothing is lost I guess. There is still a few weeks to spring run, but we could get togheter one of those weekends. Kick back, have some beer, talk, maybe play some games, so you can kick my buns in racing again...
Rich, Gill, what do you think?

nocturnalVX
03/08/2004, 04:57 PM
No problem Kasia. I'll keep my mouth shut. I'm sure I'll be pest enough when I bring up the binding windows... AGAIN! :goof: As for getting together for some drinks... I say good plan! :naughty: What do you say Rich?

AnalogVX
03/08/2004, 09:12 PM
:yeso: :homer:
I have to work this weekend, got my daughter next weekend.
Maybe next after that? Or is that Easter?:confused: :rollg2:

yal^
03/09/2004, 06:12 PM
My Saturdays are pretty much free, so whatever you decide.... as long, as there is beer involved ;)