PDA

View Full Version : Looking at VX, things to check for

Joe C
12/25/2002, 04:26 PM
I'm going to be looking at a 99 VX tomorrow at a lot in Va. Beach Va. It's white with the red and black interior, but does not seem to have the Ironman logo on it. It has 53K miles on it and theyre asking $14775 for it. I've been reading up on these vehicles for the last few days but have not come across a recommended check list for a used VX. I know it's a little late in the game but does anyone have any tips or things to look for before I go and see this thing? Thanks in advance. BTW, if anyone would like to look at the ad on traderonline just click this LINK (http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=VEHICROSS&certified=n&start_year=1982&end_year=2003&min_price=&max_price=&distance=25&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=ISU&address=23454&search_type=used&x=24&y=8)

Joe Creecy
95 Isuzu Trooper (just did water pump and timing belt, fun!)
94 Pontiac Formula 12.42@109
93 Ford Probe GT beater

AnalogVX
12/25/2002, 06:40 PM
Welcome! It is to my understanding the white VXs were all Ironman editions so the logos must have been removed by the previous owner. Really $15k is not bad. There have been trouble with the CD changers, make sure it works. Some owners have had leaky shocks too, give a good glance for seapage down the sides and around the boots. The VX has it's quirks but it's a vehicle to fall in love with. I was looking for one for about 3 months when I found my '99 Astral silver. I read the posts on this forum and on Club Vmag (http://club.vmag.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Isuzu+Vehicross+2&number=39&DaysPrune=) for info. Good luck!

SGT.BATGUANO
12/25/2002, 11:22 PM
Check windows for binding or coming out of tracks on the way up (easy fix). Lift floormats , check for dampness (firewall seam seal). Ignition shifter interlock operation. Seat recline operation.Chrome bubbling on wheels. Headlight clearcoat hazing or cracking. Headlight weatherstripping adhesion. Check tires for signs of mis-alignment. As always , make sure the check engine light and abs self- test passes. The lights should come on briefly, then go off, as long as you know the bulb is good and it doesn't stay on.

Joe C
12/26/2002, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys, I'm heading out to look at it right now with checklist in hand.

Joe C
12/31/2002, 03:21 PM
Bought it, Guess it's time to change my screen name :)

Joe Creecy
1999 Ironman #304

Moncha
12/31/2002, 04:12 PM
Congrats!!!! Welcome to the family!!!:jump:

Dallas4u
12/31/2002, 04:46 PM
PICTURES!!!!

Joe C
12/31/2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
PICTURES!!!!

Unfortunately I dont have a digicam here at home. I should have some by friday from the camera at work though. In the meantime here's the pics from the dealer's site. I'm so friggin stoked I can hardly stand it! http://images.getauto.com/vehicles/JACC/JACCN57X5X7990304-a.jpg

Moncha
12/31/2002, 06:20 PM
I'll change your username for you.. Just email me with your wishes...

AnalogVX
12/31/2002, 11:33 PM
Welcome! I know what you mean about being stoked...I am everytime I drive my VX still. I don't think it ever goes away!

Maverick
01/02/2003, 01:35 AM
aw man..your killing me people..ive been lurking, reading up on vx's..drooled over one..but another priority is inthe way (house purchase) right now...but you can bet as soon as im done with that mess, a vx will soon follow...

Best of luck to you with your new toy!! im jealous!! ;Db;

Joe C
01/06/2003, 11:05 AM
Here's a quick pic of my new baby.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~jcreecy/Joes_VX.jpg

Triathlete
01/06/2003, 11:08 AM
Congratulations!!!!! You are going to love your new VX and its capabilities!

Joe C
01/06/2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Triathlete
Congratulations!!!!! You are going to love your new VX and its capabilities!

Well it's certainly been a blast thusfar. Unfortunately testing the limits of it's capabilities is going to be difficult here in flat as a pancake coastal Va. It will see some beach duty on the outer banks of NC and the eastern shore of VA and I do plan to rallycross it a time or two. What I'd really like to try though is rock crawling.

Triathlete
01/06/2003, 11:47 AM
I got to play this weekend! First time I've really tested the limits. Had gone off road a few times but nothing like this. I was impressed...but not surprised! You've got some bueatiful terrain back there...just head west into the Smokey's! I remember driving through them when I was stationed at Cherry Point, NC (pre VX days).

carlymac
01/08/2003, 08:24 AM
If you want some off road adventure check this website out www.tellicoinfo.com/ I have been to Tellico Plains and the trails run from 1-10. one of the 3-4 trails made me cry like an eight year old little girl. The national forrest is in the corner on TN.,GA.,and SC. I hope to organize a run to Tellico in the summer provided I have interest. I know some of the Atlanta VXers will go for it. check out the website and give me some input.

Joe C
01/09/2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by carlymac
If you want some off road adventure check this website out www.tellicoinfo.com/ I have been to Tellico Plains and the trails run from 1-10. one of the 3-4 trails made me cry like an eight year old little girl. The national forrest is in the corner on TN.,GA.,and SC. I hope to organize a run to Tellico in the summer provided I have interest. I know some of the Atlanta VXers will go for it. check out the website and give me some input.

PM sent.