PDA

View Full Version : Goofy things about the VX

crager34
03/05/2004, 10:19 AM
Not really complaining, just idle banter about the lesser liked things.

A window lock for only two windows.

No cup holders.

anyone else have any?

Eckstream
03/05/2004, 02:26 PM
Umm off the top of my head.... No interior rear door release or a latch to open rear door without the key from the outside. I heard something about a hidden compartment but havent found it yet...

lenny
03/05/2004, 03:01 PM
erm

nowt to be honest tell a lie the only thing i dont like infact i hate the main dealers

are not interested

jayfotos
03/05/2004, 04:45 PM
The windows never work correctly.

Heraclid
03/05/2004, 04:48 PM
One I'm starting to get more and more interested in resolving is the lack of a rear interior dome light.

Don't care about cupholders because I almost never eat or drink in it - it's one of my cardinal rules.

There is a handle for opening rear door - look to the right of your license plate and you'll see a place to grab and pull. Still requires the key, but there is a handle of sorts.

johnnyapollo
03/05/2004, 06:24 PM
I bought a rear dome light that had been pulled from an Inpulse on eBay for $6. It's the same as the VX dome, except it's molded in black. It's something to think about (I want to wire it to the rear hatch rather than the front light).

-- Best, John

Spy Hunter
03/05/2004, 06:45 PM
My Starbucks/Slurpee fits just fine in the square holder.....never had a problem. Goofy things? Hmmm.....The fact that when I stare at the front long enough it looks like a catfish? :winkp:

shoota77
03/05/2004, 10:49 PM
difficult window washer operation...using a key to open AND close fuel door...clearly, rear door without popper...hitting unlock twice to open doors

WyrreJ
03/05/2004, 11:04 PM
The knobs on the seats. PITA to reach while sitting in the seat (either knob, just not enough handspace around knob) and they are also impossible to turn while leaning back into the seat - you gotta sit up to take the pressure off the back in order to get it to move, up or down.

Chopper
03/06/2004, 05:42 AM
Catfish maybe, aren't Carp some kinda Holy fish in Japan?? It's a VehiKoi my good man. I like the rear defrost that sits where it's easily bumped, then stays on after you get out, so it can run your battery to zero. Plus all the other crap. Why do I love this car so much? Explain it one more time please.:goof: :goof: :goof:

Triple X
03/06/2004, 06:04 AM
it's not a catfish, it's a snake. that was the original design concept. the two verticals in the grill are the fangs and the little things that stick up on top of the headlights even look like the pits on the nose of a pit viper. i read that in an original review from 1999. Spyhunter, take a look at yours and see if you can see it. a snake is a heck of a lot sexier than a catfish.

Maverick
03/06/2004, 06:14 AM
No light in the glove box!!! I figured the bulb was out..searching, searching..nada, zip, nothing....

oh and the "option" button on the remote.. one use only so far as i can tell, guess thats why they didnt call it the "options" button... useless to me..but maybe ill get a garage someday...:eek: ;Dy;

Chopper
03/06/2004, 06:18 AM
Or a great big Argentine horned frog.......The Isuzu Amphibhicross The AX. No matter how you cut it, it's cold blooded

Cobrajet
03/06/2004, 09:29 AM
No variable speed adjustment for the intermittent wipers? Or did I miss that in the owner's manual?

WyrreJ
03/06/2004, 09:56 AM
How about when you hit the windshield squirters and sometimes the wipers don't come on. That is messed up.

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/06/2004, 10:04 AM
how about the first time you hit the window squirters with the windows down while driving....DOPE!!!!!!!!!!!:homer:

Raque Thomas
03/06/2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by shoota77
...hitting unlock twice to open doors

That one you can fix at no cost with a simple wiring change. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the directions.

rocket man
03/06/2004, 04:31 PM
Mine looks like a "Nurse Shark" abiet a "ferrocious nurse shark"

Reverse gear ratio way too high/ compound low could have been lower too for better rock crawling just to save a little on the wear and tear on the machinery...

obsure rear vision

would have been nice to have a motorized seat adjuster rather than a wheel...

Better thought out rear seat access

Hinged rear windows for ventilation..

But actually all in all...a terrific ride

SGT.BATGUANO
03/06/2004, 08:23 PM
I agree on the hinged windows. I'd like to see one of our fabbers come up with a solution for hinging the windows immediately behind the doors.

Andrey
03/06/2004, 08:32 PM
when I need to use high beam at night (just to blink) I end up turning ALL lights off. This light switch is so poorly designed it is not even funny......

no light under the hood. I guess people who are "...going further" (read off road jorneys) MUST have under the hood light ! For 30+ K SUV Isuzu could afford to put second dome light, rear hatch poper and under the hood light... those things are A MUST...

WyrreJ
03/06/2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Andrey
when I need to use high beam at night (just to blink) I end up turning ALL lights off. This light switch is so poorly designed it is not even funny....

Yeah, every other light-stalk I've used had a push to flash mode - this one has a "pull a little to flash, pull just one more millimeter for permanet high-beams."

The upside is that in trying to figure out how to flash the high-beams, I learned that I can engage both the low-beam and high-beam filaments by clicking to high-beam and then clicking again, but NOT RELEASING. Kind of like a "flood-fill" high-beam mode, very addicting and I now I find myself constantly using that mode whenever there is no car in front of me.

Baxman
03/06/2004, 09:28 PM
Ergonomically wrong door handles - especially when parked sideways on a slope.

Getting bashed upside the head by the wind when window is down at speed, especially in colder weather.

Almost worthless high beam headlights, unless you're looking for tree-snipers.

Despite these and the above quirks, this vehicle is "so me", I want to be buried in it;Dp;

Chopper
03/07/2004, 08:34 AM
Baxman, the Weather tech deflectors help a lot. Sarge, the B pillar windows would present a challenge, the rears could be done link minivan openings or hinged at the top like old style conversion vans. "Any thing is possible, with a welder, a grinder, and a big enough hammer"

crager34
03/07/2004, 05:03 PM
You forgot Duct tape, glue and string.

Heraclid
03/07/2004, 05:49 PM
These things really are pretty goofy, huh? :-) But I sure love 'em!

vettewars
10/29/2004, 10:58 AM
Why didn't I get it?

I'm at work, brought the VX in to check it out after my wife FINALLY got the truck of her dreams just last week (she's in 7th heaven now after lusting after the VX since it's introduction).

I'm standing there with one of the young guys from work. I said...hmmm....I got an idea on how to make the front look a lot better but my wife will kill me. I'm gonna black spray those 2 crome things in the grill.

What....he says?....are you crazy....

THIS THING'S GOT A SNAKE THING GOIN....THAT'S REALLY COOL!!!

Holy sh@@ you're right I say....why didn't I get it.$#@#@!

PS - has anyone ever spray painted them black or is this sacreligious?

Maugan_VX
10/29/2004, 11:11 AM
no

some people chrome them

which is even moreso.

vettewars
10/29/2004, 11:28 AM
now that you've reminded me....about keeping things STOCK.

Oh he'll go on and on about this....he'll say in a mystical way....you just have to appreciate the people that worked on this...what they had in mind....like get into that.

Understand the vehicle for what it does and what it was meant to do....

I can't do him justice...but he has a point.
When I drive my stock Supercoupes which are a nite and day difference in performance from my modified car, I think of him. It is actually manditory for me to get into this mindset otherwise I'd be putting all the miles I drive on the modified car and kill myself because I'd be racing EVERY DAY on the street.

jimbo
10/29/2004, 11:39 AM
I love my VX!!!! And I like those little teeth silver.

But my two cents:

Stock tires way way too small for the wheels and wheel wells.

Rear vision obscured (in two tiny areas to the sides of the window the cars behind me keep interfering with my perfect view of the spare tire).

No inside back door un-latch.

Can't close gas cap door without key (some dipsh#t at a gas station's gonna break that door someday).

If I can't make it to the gym I do my over-head presses by lifting the hood. Is this hood kind-of heavy or is it just me?

hard to get into the back seat
You can actually get into the backseat? I thought it was what the assault weapon guys call a "strictly cosmetic accessory". I learn something new everyday. ;)

AREA 51
10/29/2004, 11:42 AM
The brushed metal "fangs" are held on by clips. No need to paint them, just pull them off.

vettewars
10/29/2004, 11:50 AM
As far as the vision thing.....

I really think it comes down to using the side mirrors.

I did my own experiment .....I found it's IMPOSSIBLE to hide a car behind this VX and not see it out the side mirrors.

If it was mine and not my wife's I'd simply knock the window mirror off. I've had them fall off in the summer because I can't seem to get my glue thing down yet....and always liked the added view.

On the VX, the very short window makes this attractive.

jimbo
10/29/2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah ... the side mirrors are ok ... but a little boring.

When you want to change lanes a better way is to crank the wheel really really sharp to one side so you can turn your head and catch a glimpse behind you out one of those teensy side windows. Then crank the wheel back real quick before you flip over.

I think this is the method the VX designers had in mind. Who trusts mirrors anyways? ;Dp;

vettewars
10/29/2004, 12:39 PM
I really believe this WAS considered in the design, to overcome the back view problem.

Take a close look at these mirrors. The side mirrors are designed to come out just that extra bit....and also due to the vehicle length being short they literally wrap around the back. Have someone stand behind the vehicle and see where you CAN'T finally see them. Left + right = pretty much a full rear view.

This is quite a departure from cars today....in which you look out a side mirror, don't see much on the side...and might even get a "distorted" image of what's on the passenger side because of the modified optics on that mirror.

With all this in mind, I would have better confidence in passing situations with the VX than a couple other cars I own in which I have to strain to look out the side/back before passing.

t2p
10/29/2004, 12:46 PM
The view out the rear is pathetic ....... their response was to add the rear view camera/screen/whatever ........ unfortunately, this welcome addition was MIA on the US versions .........

t2p
10/29/2004, 12:47 PM
Changes I would have considered in the design stage:
smaller rear seat headrests ...... they are simply too big ..... (ditto for the front ones) ..... small rear seat headrests that 'fold' down would be been better ....
move the rear seats forward 2-4 inches ...... they did not appear to devote a whole lot of time to this area ....
increase length of doors - maybe an inch or so - to increase entry/exit (area) into the rear seat area ...
I also might have 'lowered' the spare tire hump one inch or so .... and maybe taken a tad out of the side (roof) pillars ............

jimbo
10/29/2004, 12:50 PM
Oh man ... if you got to be serious:

I've never had a problem with seeing using the side mirrors. I agree 100% with Mr. Vettewars, they are designed very well.

I get a little nervous backing out in a crowded parking lot, but other than that it's ok.

(I've only squashed two old ladies and a puppy so far)

vettewars
10/29/2004, 01:10 PM
I've been just an "owner" for a week now...it's really my wife's car....but do you think the back has any potential for hanky panky.

I immediately noticed when sitting in the back seats that there is considerable leg room. I could also angle down the back seats.

This plus the limited visibility in = some real possibilities.

Did anyone consider this in the overall design equation?

jimbo
10/29/2004, 01:15 PM
... but do you think the back has any potential for hanky panky.
I'd like to try it out but I'm afraid my wife would find out.

Just KIDDING honey!!!;eekr;

vettewars
10/29/2004, 01:26 PM
That you want to have sex with her@!@#!

Maugan_VX
10/29/2004, 02:20 PM
... but do you think the back has any potential for hanky panky.

Yes.

and I'm 6'6"

tall

johnnyapollo
10/29/2004, 04:35 PM
Rode in a co-works SAAB convertible - nothing really special about it, but what I thought was cool was the passenger side mirror. About 2" from the outside edge, the mirror curves back, providing a convex mirror effect to help with the blind spot - what great design.

-- Best, John

Doc4h
10/29/2004, 05:21 PM
I've been just an "owner" for a week now...it's really my wife's car....but do you think the back has any potential for hanky panky.

You better belive it... I may not be 6'6" but I am 6'4" and there is plenty of room and Vettewar you are right about people not being able to see in. Oh and it's not so bad even with three. As long as your not into BIG girls.:naughty:

marximus
10/29/2004, 11:26 PM
okay, first off, my favorite drink is sanpple, and the glass bottle fits perfect in the square...Hole?...im the center console.

second, i have been told many times, and agree that the front looks like the front of a rattle snake. find a picture of one from the front, youll see what i mean.

and thirdly, okay it is true, the vis isnt so good out back, but it is only a prob when reversing in grocery store parking lot, people walk RIGHT behind me. one of these days i am going to hit one of the curious but oblivious onlookers.

Raque Thomas
10/30/2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by t2p
Changes I would have considered in the design stage:
smaller rear seat headrests ...... they are simply too big ..... (ditto for the front ones) ..... small rear seat headrests that 'fold' down would be been better ....

Get some headrests from a Rodeo and dye them black - your new rear view will be a welcome change! The Rodeo headrests will fit with no modifications and have no center - it's amazing how much it improves the view!

kpaske
10/30/2004, 03:28 PM
Rodeo headrests for the front or for the rear?

coachreed
10/30/2004, 04:01 PM
My pet-peeve is a motor that spins a rod bearing with no warning of any kind! Ugh! I honestly can't really complain about anything else in the truck... I soooo can't wait to drive it again!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

WyrreJ
10/30/2004, 04:23 PM
If the rear headrests are in the way, just fold the entire seatback forward. Before I pulled my rear seat out completely, I used to leave the seatbacks down all the time. They flip back up with no trouble at all.

Regarding hanky-panky, if you remove the headrests from the front seats, the backs will go back down to horizontal and just meet the front of the rear seat, and then the rear seat backs will also go back down to horizontal, making the interior of the car one big, if slightly lumpy, bed.

V12BMW
11/02/2004, 01:05 PM
O man the front seat angle adjustment knob, so so stupid. i dont get it, the back seats have a lil lever for angle but then they wanted to use a stupid knob thingy for the front seats? Drrrrrrr. :confused:
Here's a trick for the no cup holder, go to a party store/gas station and buy a bottle a Figi Water it's a square bottle and it fits great!!!!!! Cost me $3.00 a bottle though:(

dkmiller68
11/02/2004, 03:01 PM
how about the volume knob remembering where you left it (when in the on position)...when I get home the volume is up and the next time I start her up, it seems way too loud...newer cars, no matter where you leave it, if you turn the vehicle off, it returns to a more normal volume.

Denee
11/02/2004, 04:39 PM
I just love it!!! couldn't have said it better myself!! I'm laughing as I"m typing! a little champagne to hlep'!! lol
Denee'