PDA

View Full Version : rear visability

Triple X
03/03/2004, 02:20 PM
I know I'm definitely "new in town", but did want to share this. If it's already been discussed, then my apologies. To solve the issue of rear visability (or lack thereof) I took the rear head rests out, added convex mirrors to the side mirrors and mounted an optical lens on the rear window. The lens is just a piece of flexible plastic with concentric rings that gives you a wide-angle (up and down - side to side) view out your rear window. I can't take credit for this idea - saw it in a VX review online while I was shopping around for a new vehicle. The usual auto part stores in my area did not stock this item. However, my folks are RV enthusiasts from the old days and they suggested an RV dealership. Sure enough - I stopped by yesterday and they had a few. They're made by 3M under the brand name Vangard and come in several diffrent sizes. The 8"x10" fits perfectly in the narrowest portion (center) of the rear window. Wet it, stick it to the window and it will dry clear in 24 hours and stays until you peel it off. According to the manufacturer, it should not be effected by factory defrost (after-market defrost installs may be a different story). And I can tell you it makes a big difference. I can now see the ground behind my VX instead of just a slice of blue sky.

rocket man
03/03/2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Triple X me again:D

Your going thru what I think most of us went thru..Its a getting used to process..and if that ugly little plastic thing makes you feel better go for it....

Putting the VX in reverse in tantamount to backing up a "Trident" class submarine while still in the harbor....submerged:rolleyes:

But in time, you'll get used to it. Many have a rear camera and tv monitor.... Tone Monday has some interesting stuff on his website.

Just make sure that when you decide to tackle that dirt bike hill outside of town you can make it ALLLL the up to the top so you can turn around and go down "nose first". The gear reduction in reverse even in compound low is pathetic:mad: You havn't lived till you find youself backing down a really steep hill full of ruts doing the bouncy thing with your head stuck out the window, wondering...what's going on on the other side of my car:wtfr2: It was in this type of situation that I understood the term "pucker factor" because my *** cheeks were so tightly gripping my leather Recaro seats that had I flipped her over I would have stayed in my seat even without my belt fastened;eekr;

John

Triple X
03/03/2004, 03:14 PM
I don't think the optical lens is ugly and I'm not concerned about what's behind me off-road. I'm concerned about backing over my dog or the neighbor's kid. I didn't buy the VX for only sport driving. It's also for everyday Atlanta-suicide mission-driving. Call me stodgy, but safety is important to me. It may not hurt any less, but if I'm about to get rear-ended by some yahoo on the interstate who's more concerned about their caramel-mocha latte than they are paying attention to traffic, I want to see it coming.

rocket man
03/03/2004, 03:59 PM
You can have my plastic thing...contact me privately if you want it..I'll mail it to you free then you can have two..:-)

The camera set up on Mondays website will give you that view of that Yahoo bearing down on you from behind with coffee in his hand( color too). He could probably even rig it up with a recorder if you want, you know like a "black box data recorder" on an airliner. Since the VX has one of/or maybe the shortest stopping distance (from 60 to zero in 106 feet) of any production car on the road today. But these cars have faired well in crashes( see pictures on previous threads) Some you wonder how they walked away..

I quess I 'm just used to it...but if you study the visual area of both rear view side mirrors they will converge about 10 feet from the back of the VX. so to me the getting used to part was the parking

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/03/2004, 04:32 PM
:fyi: I get misty :cryb: whenever I watch "Hunt for Red October" 'cause it reminds me of the "Crazy ;wtf; Ivan's" I perform while driving the VX.

Jonnie
03/03/2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by rocket man
You can have my plastic thing...contact me privately if you want it..I'll mail it to you free then you can have two..:-)

parking

I reallly need a plastic thingy so I can unpucker till I can afford a camera rig!

Jonathan;Dy;