PDA

View Full Version : Moab and Maintenance Prep Q's

Baxman
03/01/2004, 10:06 PM
Looks like Moab is a GO for me this year. What a great time it was in '02. Looking forward to seeing other Moab-bound VXers!

Does anyone know when ZuZoo registration will open - I keep checking, but...:confused:

Another Q: By May, my VX will be ready for the 60K service. To Moab and back = 2500+ miles. Do it before leaving and contaminate my precious fluids with red Moab dust, or wait until I get back?

SPAZZ
03/02/2004, 07:58 AM
if you happen to pass through Idaho on the 84...let me know...I am in Nampa...near Boise...you could crash here and we could caravan to Moab?

Dallas4u
03/02/2004, 08:33 AM
Bax-

I'd wait on the diffy and tranny fluid changes, and even the bearing repacks if you plan on doing them. You can change the oil and flush the radiator early as you may want to change oil again when the other fluids are changed, too.

Tone
03/02/2004, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah, changing old fluids AFTER you have put the vehicle through some of the most stressful activities possible and a long drive down and back - good idea. I'm trying to figure out how that red dust gets in the sealed tranny and diffs? And we wouldn't want fresh grease in the bearings in case some dust got past the seals. And bearings with 30K worth of use and not being reset shouldn't ruin them...

Be sure to replace all fuses with wire so the dust won't cause them to short out!

Dallas4u
03/02/2004, 07:11 PM
Tone, I don't like your Tone (ha ha)

Seriously, you don't have to be a jacka$$. State why you didn't think my post was wrong and post some useful info on what Rick should do instead of spouting off.

Jeez...

By the way, my point was if it the dust is going to contaminate the fluids, why do the 60k changes twice? I went to around 38k without doing a 30k service. I didn't mean to push it, I wasn't in Moab... I know I know, so don't say it. I did drive 2000k miles from Dallas to Portland, and drove to work for a few months before performing the service.

Maybe Rick should just do the service before he leaves to come back?

Locomigo
03/02/2004, 07:17 PM
Rick,

I would personally at the VERY least change the engine oil... a coolant flush probably wouldnt hurt.

When was the last time the bearings were packed? If more than 30k, I would probabkly do them too...

Otherwise, I think everything else can and should wait until you return. For the most part, I would imagine that a 5% past due mileage wouldnt hurt your VX.

As to registration... SOON. I am currently registering staff, and should have general registration up before too long. After the next planning committee meeting, I will know more.

Thanks, and I HTH,
Keith
Moab 'Zu Zoo VII Trailmaster

Baxman
03/02/2004, 07:58 PM
The idea of a Mobile 1 change, etc. twice in a month is a bit expen$ive, but may be worth it. Seals or not, that dust and sand really penetrates - two years later, I'm still finding red dirt here and there. (Remember the run out to Devils Racetrack in '02?) Thanks for the advice, even if I had to wade waist-deep in sarcasm to extract it.

Spazz, thanks for the offer! I expect that we'll be passing by Nampa ~2pm Sunday. Overnite in Tremonton. Jet back home in 18 hours straight on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone:D