PDA

View Full Version : Yet MORE tire questions

Ron Pfeiffer
02/29/2004, 05:57 AM
Hey all,
I am currently searching for new shoes for my new VX, since the tire's on it when I bought it last week were on their last legs. Man, trying to get a good tire that will perform on dirt back roads while also being a daily commuter AND fill up the gaping wheel wells a bit, all on stock 18" rims, is a killer! After much perusal of the great info here, I think I am gonna go with the Nitto Terra Grabbers in 285/60/18. My only remaining question is:
What can I expect the Nittos to do to my gas mileage? If those of you who have them would share your experiences, I'd appreciate it. I am getting 15mpg or so now. I commute 50 miles a day round trip, and can't really afford to throw mpg's totally out the window . . .

Thanks,
Ron

mrtew
02/29/2004, 06:58 AM
Theoretically bigger tires might actually help your gas mileage as they will put you in the equivalent of a higher gear when cruising on the freeway. But they will make your mileage LOOK like it's worse because they will throw off your odometer so it looks like you've driven fewer miles (on each gallon of gas) than you actually have. This odo error also extends your warrantee period and makes you feel like you live closer to work. Big tires also make you more vulnerable to speeding tickets because your speedometer is off, and your top speed is increased as the limiter kicks in later. :-] And they make your VX look like it was always meant to look! I've seen a VX with the Nittos and I want them soooooooo bad but I couldn't find any when I had the money a few months ago so I'm going to finish wearing out my Yokos this year and get them next winter. Post back if you find them and where and with pictures of your truck before and after!

rocket man
03/01/2004, 12:30 AM
Hi Ron

Just put Nitto Terra Grapplers 285X60X18s about a month ago. :D

Your gonna love them...you'll need to trim the cladding in the front on the underneath part where it curves under in the front. I used a jig saw and duck tape on the cladding and followed the edge of the tape, maybe 2 inches. Both sides completed in minutes.

I used the stock rims, and tire pressure at 34 lbs. You cannot comapre these claws to the stock tires. These are quiet tires too that make the VX very steady on turns. The look is.... as you note the way a VX tire-wheel set up should look. Those little 245's just look swallowed up in those massive wheel wells. IMO.

I have not noticed any drastic gas milage change. I got 323 miles on a tank for high and 257 miles for a low with these tires.

Last week "Discount Tire" called and said they were holding a set for me. You might call and ask for Brad he said they just got a shipment of 50 sets. I called and thanked him via his voice mail but that I had already purchased some. I have heard that they are hard to find. I did not find that to be true.

Discount Tire has a website that lists there tire companies in your local area. I called the closest one to me and they had a set. I paid $605+ $21 per tire road hazard warranty
;wtf; + tax:mad:

You might also contact Nitto(pronounced "Neato") at there home office in Placencia or Stanton, Ca. Sorry I fergot
:confused: There in the Orange Co area near Disneyland...they could tell you where look....

If you getem you'll lovem!!!

moonspider
03/06/2004, 09:27 AM
I put Yokohama Geolanders on my VX last week.They are great !265-60-18. Improved the look and the ride .Makes the VX look
very bold, more road coverage( quite and smooth) Ordered on line arrived in two days.

Dallas4u
03/06/2004, 11:19 AM
Good choice on the Yoko's. I have enjoyed mine for a couple years, and will probably go with the same when needed!

J La
03/06/2004, 08:23 PM
I have to agree that the Nitto's are just untouchable as far as appearance. And that those who have installed them seem to love them. But just to let you know of more options. I went with Michelin Cross Terrain's 275/55/18 from sam's. I was a bit concerned with their unaggresive tread pattern on a pair I saw at the local tire store. But surprisingly the larger tires had a bit more of a aggresive outter tread pattern on them. So I was pleasantly surprised and went ahead and had them installed. Very pleased with them at pretty much mantained the outer diameter so not to affect mileage. But with the added width and slight height addition they were a cosmetic improvement as well. As well as excellent handling and ride. Just some fyi, wouldn't blame you a bit for going with the Nitto's.