PDA

View Full Version : intermittent(sp?) missfire

TDUB
02/28/2004, 05:06 PM
once in awhile the VX will develop a missfire. Took it in and the computer showed cylinder 1 missfire. Of course we couldn't get it to missfire at my mechanic's shop.
We changed plugs and switched the coils around, hoping that next time it missfires the computer will show a diffrent cylinder missfiring then it's probably a coil.
Well, it started to miss again. I'll take it to Mark( my mech) Monday. If for some reason it's still missing on # 1 cyl what do you guys (or girls) think the next step should be?
40,000 miles.
BTW it starts missing from startup, not during driving. I tried disconnecting battery to reset the glitch but it didn't work. Started it up 3 hours later and all is well. Go figure!!

When I die they'll bury me in this car with my hands still on the wheel!!

Thanks!!

TW:

WyrreJ
02/28/2004, 07:22 PM
Aren't problems with cylinder #1 the percursor to the dreaded 60K mile engine failure? I could be totally wrong, and I'm too lazy to use the search engine myself to find out for sure....

VX FIX
02/28/2004, 07:56 PM
When I bought the coils from Coachreed ,some one posted that one of the coils is shorter than the rest ,it also has a differnt number " 9714 " stamped on it ,It goes to the number 6 cylinder only .right drivers side .

Triathlete
02/29/2004, 04:47 PM
Try tapping on the injector or cleaning it. That stopped my check engine light from coming on... the code thrown was #1 cylinder missfire!

TDUB
03/01/2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks!!

Billy, I had read your post in the archives about tapping on the tubes. That sounds too easy! I tried it and we'll see if that exorcized the deamons. :)

Thanks again guys for your input

TW