PDA

View Full Version : Heavily modify your VX?

WormGod
02/27/2004, 10:09 AM
For those that are daring enough to turn your VX into a true moon buggy, check this out....

Grand DARPA Challenge (http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/index.htm)

Looks like a ton of fun. Especially if you had the time and money to take your VX througha monster garage for it. ;)

Nerfzooka
02/27/2004, 02:50 PM
The VX would be off-roading by itself. You could feel anxious and proud and triumphant for your autonomous vehicle, but the ride would be a passive and safe event for you.

Where is the danger, the grace uner fire? Gone. What proves courage, lightning reflexes, last-second ingenuity? Nothing.

The robot race is a fine puzzle, and contest, and pinnacle of technology, but not fun.

WormGod
02/27/2004, 03:00 PM
Nevertheless, a fun and engaging challenge all in itself. Long live the geeks! :D

Nerfzooka
03/01/2004, 02:31 PM
Going into a cathedral isn't fun either, but it is inspiring.

Me and my Vehicross will be at the DARPA challenge viewing area at Buffalo Bill's Arena in Primm Nevada on Saturday, March 13th at 6 AM.

Primm Nevada is on the border of California/Nevada at I-15.

If there is a lull in the race, off-roaders will find dry lake beds and mountain trails in the area. Non-off roaders can enjoy the outlet shopping mall... or gambling. Oh yeah! The worlds tallest roller coaster is also at Buffalo Bills. ;eeko; Now that is fun.

Anyone else want to see the robots race across the desert? :wave:

WormGod
03/01/2004, 02:37 PM
Get some pics Nerf. That just sounds like too much fun. Especially with the right crowd. ;)

Nerfzooka
03/15/2004, 09:39 AM
The start of the robot race was miraculous. One by one when the judges dropped the yellow strap of the starting line, unmanned vehicles moved under their own intelligence, and accelerated into the wilderness avoiding cement barriers and overcoming grates cattle can't cross.

Most of the vehicles used were normal SUVs; hummer, pick-ups, a tahoe and an acura. Some were unfamiliar machines, an Israeli sand rail, and there was something with 6 wheels and a rack of antlers containing radar and cameras. The biggest racer was "Terramax" an Osh Kosh fire truck.

Disappointingly, the race was over in 45 minutes. The best competitor ("Sandstorm" from Carnegie-Mellon) made it 7 miles into the 142 mile course before falling off the road and getting stuck. Other entries strayed off the trail getting caught in the sage brush and barbed wire. Two spectacular failures happened at the start line as "Cliff" from Virginia Tech emitted smoke as engine gunned while the brakes firmly held it stationary. Then "David" from TEAM ENSCO took off with more speed and resolve than earlier racers only to capsize on a dirt berm 100 yds down the road.

Then there were the less impressive entries. "Cajunbot" from U of Louisiana immediately hit the wall. "Doom Buggy" from Palos Verde High School did the same. "Ghost rider" a riderless motorcyle made it about 3 inches, then fell over.

Maybe next year someone will win the $1,000,000.

WormGod
03/15/2004, 11:36 AM
Heh, thanks for the update on that Nerf. Sounds like it would be a great addition to the Comedy Central lineup this spring.

Nerfzooka
03/15/2004, 02:14 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/842darpaatv.jpg

This one burnt out it's radar unit just before the race.

What is that a 7 gallon fuel tank? I don't think that is enough fuel to take a quadruple tracked vehicle 142 miles.

SilverBullet75
03/16/2004, 08:58 PM
Hey Nerfzooka!
I see you are in Vegas too... I'm wondering if you are the one I've seen in the parking lot of HomeUSA/Taco Bell??

Nerfzooka
03/17/2004, 11:13 AM
Not me, Neo6265 (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2971&papass=&sort=4)

I think I saw you exiting HYWY 95 N onto Eastern a week or two back.

See ya 'round!

Anita
03/17/2004, 11:15 AM
OOOOOooooooo,

I see a Vegas Meet in the near future!!!