PDA

View Full Version : Back speaker (what size?) HELP

edwin
02/26/2004, 07:25 AM
Zup all -
Can any one please tell me what size speakers I need get to replace the back seat speakers of my 2000VX - ?
That'll be really cool if anyone can help -
Thanks -
Ed NYC -

Triathlete
02/26/2004, 08:08 AM
Confusious once said "Search and yee shall be inlightened with many an answer"!:naughty: :laughy: :naughty: :laughy:

Navigator
02/26/2004, 08:08 AM
... I replaced mine with 5 1/4's with minor modification. There is room for more, but you will need to do some cutting.

edwin
02/26/2004, 08:14 AM
Cutting - ?
Of the panel it self or inside of the panel - ?
What speakers model did you place in yours - ?

edwin
02/26/2004, 08:16 AM
Confusious - ?
I like that guy -
I think he smoked "something" to be so enlighten - !
:p

edwin
02/26/2004, 09:10 AM
ok, so I can get the 6x9's & they'll fir ok w/out cutting - ?

edwin
02/26/2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Navigator
... I replaced mine with 5 1/4's with minor modification. There is room for more, but you will need to do some cutting.

5 1/4 - ?
someone said I wouldn't have to do any cutting for 6x9's -
do you know what size they are exactly - ?

carlymac
02/26/2004, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty sure you'll have to carve the speaker bracket alot to fit a set of 6x9's in the rear.

HERE'S A POST ON PUTTING 6X9's IN (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2853&highlight=speakers)

hope this helps, I'm gradually upgrading my sound system one piece at a time and haven't tackled the rears yet...

OH...and I think the rear speakers are 4''

jayfotos
02/26/2004, 12:05 PM
I just put a self powered Pioneer 10" bass tube in the back(strapped to the floor) and that's all I did.....sounds badass! I did'nt replace any of the other speakers....did'nt have to....again....sounds great!

The tube is cool, unplug, take straps off and pull it out if you need the room.

edwin
02/26/2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by carlymac
I'm pretty sure you'll have to carve the speaker bracket alot to fit a set of 6x9's in the rear.

HERE'S A POST ON PUTTING 6X9's IN (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2853&highlight=speakers)

hope this helps, I'm gradually upgrading my sound system one piece at a time and haven't tackled the rears yet...

OH...and I think the rear speakers are 4''

I'm doin' mine lil' by lil' also - I kinda of figured that I'd have to cut to fit 6x9's - !
In the front, in each doors I put Kicker's K60's.
In the back I put two Kicker Solo-Baric S10L7's, 10" woofers w/custom kicker box. I have an Sony Xplod 2ch 1200watts pushing the 10's and a kicker 800 watts to 2push the components speakers but I haven't even taken the stock ones out yet -
I don't want to cut my panels, do you know who makes a kick-*** 4" speaker - ? Kicker definitely doesn't -
ed

coachreed
02/26/2004, 05:09 PM
Ed-
YOu won't have to cut your panels to fit the speakers back behind them, you will have to cut the speaker bracket. The stock speakers are 4" or slightly bigger... non-standard sizes... there are lots of GREAT speakers out there that will fit the space without any noticable hacking... only on the metal bracket behind. If you want to get a small speaker with GREAT sound, I know the newest line of Boston Acoustic's have the neodymium (sp?) magnets which are a fraction of the size as the older speakers... so they fit easily... and sound pretty awsome... there are a lot of options... I have a set of MB Quart's in the back of mine... but they are being replaced with Alpine TypeR 5¼" components... the magnets are huge so they will require some work to clearance... just depends on how much work you wanna do.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Coversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Hotsauce
02/26/2004, 07:43 PM
I replaced my rear speakers with... nothing!

Thats right, i removed them. Sounds sooo much better with just fronts and a sub.

Anyone who heard my truck playing at Foxwoods can attest to that. That was just fronts, and single 10" rear. All 6L6GC tube powered.

John C.

coachreed
02/26/2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
...Sounds sooo much better with just fronts and a sub...

Most of those who are into stereo's feel that way... and I don't argue... I personally am going to be running 6.1 surround sound in my VX... running an Audigy 2zs Platinum sound board which is capable of up to 7.1, EAX HD, DTS ES, Dolby Digital EX, and is THX certified and will also play DVD Audio! I will be running a Alpine TypeR 6.5" coax for each of my front and rear centers... ok, so maybe I've gone a little overboard... wait... we knew that from the pictures of the wires I cut outta the VX! ;eekb; LMAO!

Anyway... just thought I'd add my insanity... TTYL!

Dallas4u
02/26/2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
I replaced my rear speakers with... nothing!

Thats right, i removed them. Sounds sooo much better with just fronts and a sub.

Anyone who heard my truck playing at Foxwoods can attest to that. That was just fronts, and single 10" rear. All 6L6GC tube powered.

John C.

Yup... this is my opinion. Get yourself a good set of components up front, and you won't need rears. I also have a 10" sub in the back for bass fill, and that is all that is needed for me. I have a 400w 4 channel MTX amp up front (only using 2 channels right now), and a 250w 2 channel amp bridged and running the sub... sounds better than any setup I have ever had!

MZ-N10
02/26/2004, 10:03 PM
if u get the pioneer 6x9s 3-ways they wont fit....but if u dont get the 3-ways they will....
________
COCKBREAKER live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/COCKBREAKER)

Dallas4u
02/27/2004, 08:53 AM
SPAZZ, any pics of your install? I'm starting to think that you have a different OEM setup behind your interior panel than I (or many of us) do as I can't seem to understand the mounting you did.

Are you just talking about mounting the 6x9 to the inside of the panel... like screwing the screws through the holes in the speaker frame and into the panel itself, bypassing the metal mounting bracket all together?

If so, this could work... the speaker hole in the panel is a nasty guy, and scrapes my hands up whenever I reach back there as it has plastic sharp edges all around it. If you plan on using speakers that would require tearing up the OEM metal mounting brackets to mount them, I would consider doing what SPAZZ is speaking of and mounting them to the speaker hole area inside the cladding. Just be careful not to use a screw that would penetrate through the panel.