PDA

View Full Version : Got my PV muffler!

jayfotos
02/25/2004, 09:35 PM
Installing it tomorrow morning....can't wait!

Funny thing.....it's half the size of the stock muffler.

Dallas4u
02/26/2004, 06:09 AM
Half the size AND the weight!!!

Let us know what you think when you get it on... and just understand this: The noise gets lower and mellower over a period of time. So, whether you really like it at first or not, it WILL mellow a bit!!

jayfotos
02/26/2004, 11:33 AM
Got it in! Ooooooh so nice!....whew!

I love how it sounds when I start it up.

Well, I kept my old muffler....thinking I could get a few bucks for it. I'll offer it here first before I throw it up on Ebay.

Here are the specs:

2001, 30k, Arizona(wich means, no currosion) stock VX muffler.

Drop me a line if interested, jay@jayfotos.com

Off to Vegas, see ya!:D

WormGod
02/26/2004, 12:41 PM
Hehe, you gotta love Jay. He just gets his VX and in no time, will probably have the most tricked out, most modded VX we have seen yet. He sure doesnt waste any time. :thumbup:

BTW Jay, in another post, I was commenting on the PV 2 years after installing. It only gets better pal.

jayfotos
02/26/2004, 12:53 PM
I've had my VX for a few years, bought it new.

I'm just now getting into the upgrades....

I plan on keeping everything stock(cosmectic wize)....only things I have done are: Tint windows, New Toyo's, Weatherguards and a bass tube.

I'm focusing on under the hood....

PV muffler and soon to add the sc!

Dropping my VX off at the dealer before I head out, my list of fix's:

1. The DAHM windows(for the forth time)!....Sliding off track!
2. Weatherstripping around head light(falling off)
3. Battery(third one since I bought the truck).....seems to be running a low charge.
4. Rear shocks/springs(heavy squeeks over speedbumps)

should keep'm busy for a while....

WormGod
02/26/2004, 01:28 PM
Ah sorry, I stand corrected.

So, that makes you a "born again VX'er" then, hahaha.

Good luck with the upgrades Jay.

jayfotos
02/27/2004, 07:44 PM
I here in Vegas, being nerd and using the hotel computer....

Talked to my dealer today,..

Getting my headlights replaced(under warentee)!...nice, he told me they were $300 a piece.

The windows, they said they ajusted the windows and they are fine..tried to blame it on my wind delectors...told'm I just put them in days ago and this is my 5th visit about the windows and that's not to blame.

gotta go.

Dallas4u
02/28/2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah... well, dealers have tried to blame the Isuzu window binding problem on wind deflectors to a few here in the past as well. Understand this... I'm not sure if they've actually come up with a fix for this, or if they are still just "adjusting" the windows and leaving them at that, but it may happen again down the line. Mine were "adjusted", and started binding again within a few months. I've tried bending the track, and they go up a bit better now, but still bind.

Heraclid
02/28/2004, 02:31 PM
Same here - got in there, bent the track some, greased 'em up good with white lithium after the silicone didn't do much. Next thing ya know I put them up and the track rubber came out of the door with the glass and ripped in half. Still need to go in and fix that right. But they sorta work. I still have to help them a bit since they still bind. I don't think it's the track, I think it's the lift mechanism and the lift point placement on the glass. This would be a good project for me tomorrow.

crager34
03/29/2004, 01:49 PM
Just had the PV muffler installed. Yep, could feel the difference right off the line, now to fill-er-up and check the mileage.

It's a bit quicker and a whole bunch louder for sure....hehehe

iloveitiloveitiloveit.

Darrin

Heraclid
03/29/2004, 03:26 PM
I loved it at first, then not so much at times, and now I love it again because it mellowed out and got a throatier growl to it. I got mine put on in December and it wasn't until probably mid-February that it really got good and broken-in and sounded its best. It gets better, so don't let it start getting on your nerves a little after the new wears off or you may want to take it off before it sounds really sweet. You will get a lot more guys in SUV's wanting to prove they're better than you now that you're drawing even more attention.

shoota77
03/29/2004, 04:41 PM
Where did you guys get your PV's installed? Meineke or Midas type or local shop? Thanks!

crager34
03/29/2004, 05:00 PM
I had mine done at Midas here in Columbus, OH. Just went in for a quote and they came back with $91..... so.... I thought it was an ok price. Did I get mufflerd?

WyrreJ
03/29/2004, 05:58 PM
I went into my local midas and they wouldn't touch it! Scared there would be complications since it wasn't one of their mufflers. Bunch of *******.

Heraclid
03/29/2004, 06:03 PM
$91 is about 30 or 40 more than you probably should've paid. Some shops will do it for less than $50. For no more than there is to it, even that's high in my opinion, but it's about the going rate.

WyrreJ, now you've done it - you went and pissed off the pussys...

http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/

AlaskaVX
03/29/2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
Bunch of *******. LOL!!!:D
I had mine installed at an offroad shop, they tend to brace things a little better (installed 2 extra hangers) and the price was $100 not too aweful but probobally could be done cheaper. Just make sure they add at least one more hanger to replace the old stock one.

ScottinMA
03/30/2004, 03:36 AM
Went for my MA State inspection yesterday and was rejected due to the PV noise. At first the guy told me that they need to call the registry police to inspect a vehicle thought to be breaking the "sound barrier" but he handed me my registration and I found another garage that passed me. Whew! That never happened before.

Scott

azskyrider
03/30/2004, 06:04 AM
I know it is not the real thing but is there a sound byte where someone can download to get an Idea of how this sounds? Maybe a before and after as well since I read some posts that the sound changes over time.

Just an idea for future owners who might be interested but are hesitant on the sound.

WormGod
03/30/2004, 07:42 AM
I was at Starbucks once and went to start up my VX to leave just as a cop pulled in. He walked over and took a walk around my VX, and asked if the exhaust was stock. I told him it was called PowerVault, specifically designed for the VX. I expected some little lecture and maybe even an inspection ticket at that point. But, all he could say was that it sounded great for a 3.5 V6 and he thought it sounded similar to his V8 5.0 Stang he had at home.

Also the same cop who told me at a later date (ya, I see him at Starbucks all the time now) that the VX reminds him of a 427 Cobra modified to be a 4wd vehicle, heh.

Still loving my PV!

Triathlete
03/30/2004, 08:21 AM
Scott,
You were breaking the "sound barrior";eeky; ;eeky; ;eeky;
The PV must've made your VX WAY fast! Good thing he didn't give you a speeding ticket!;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy;

Dallas4u
03/30/2004, 08:52 AM
The PV DEFINITELY gets better over time! I marvel at the sound the V6 is pushing every time I drive it!

Heraclid
03/30/2004, 03:28 PM
I made a sound clip (several actually) a while back. I will try to post them soon. I may redo it though first so you can hear it better. I kinda decided to drop posting them before when Tone posted that he had 2 or 3 left and then the PVs would be gone anyway.

azskyrider
03/30/2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
I made a sound clip (several actually) a while back. I will try to post them soon. I may redo it though first so you can hear it better. I kinda decided to drop posting them before when Tone posted that he had 2 or 3 left and then the PVs would be gone anyway.

Wondering if the sound is like those with the tricked out CIVICs... You know those high winning sound but no go...

AlaskaVX
03/30/2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by azskyrider
Wondering if the sound is like those with the tricked out CIVICs... You know those high winning sound but no go...
NO!!!!! Mine has a great sound starting up and at idle its a really low wu-wu-wu-wu-wu-wu, not as deep as a V8 with nice exhaust, but it still is deep. And when I rev it up it it kinda crackles (deep crackle) like a 4 wheeler. It's a hard sound to explain but it's definateley not whaiaiaiaiaiai..... The supercharger definately made a change in the tone but before I installed the SC I noticed it was getting deeper and deeper the more I drove.
It is loud but its not winey like a rice rocket.
I absolutely love the sound it makes!

Dallas4u
03/30/2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by azskyrider

If you're seriously wondering, then do a search on the sound. Questioning the sound has come up too many times.

Heraclid
03/30/2004, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'll post the video/audio I made. Just tell me what you want, because the files are huge and I can probably only host one of the clips at a time on the site I have set up. I have:

1. Startup and idle, (from inside the cabin) - pick one of the others with more to hear :-)

2. Startup, idle, and revved, all inside cabin, plus idle outside of cabin

3. cruising at a steady 50 mph (inside cabin

4. decelerating into a turn and then normal moderate acceleration, (inside cabin) - the most like normal daily use

Keep in mind revving and driving at the same revs does not sound the same. In my opinion, 2 and 4 are the best. Actually I may be able to do both...

P.S. - There's another with clip under hard acceleration.

jayfotos
03/30/2004, 04:59 PM
The only gripe I have with it is when you floor it....it's LOUD! I need to get that SC in there to back up that sound with a set of BIG BALLS.

http://www.nubreed.no/myavatar2.gif

Heraclid
03/30/2004, 05:31 PM
Here's a vid clip for ya... will try to post more later...

http://home.comcast.net/~davidsfiles/wsb/STARTNREV.MPG

WormGod
03/31/2004, 07:26 AM
Still lovin' my PV. Althouh, the ricer in front my my VX in traffic today was drowning out my deep growl with his 1200cc powered chainsaw muffler. :p

And Jay, I have to ask man....

http://www.nubreed.no/myavatar2.gif

....what's her #? :D

Just watch that clip.... oddly enough, mine sounds MUCH deeper. It could be the sound in the clip though. Also, that weird Star Trek sounding "whut-whut-whut" sound.... I am hoping that is just something from the clip, or you have a banana in your tailpipe. :p

Capri
03/31/2004, 08:10 AM
this has become my favorite thread now that blondie avatar makes her presence! :heart:

Heraclid
03/31/2004, 01:55 PM
I don't know Wormgod - mine is deep. Maybe the driving clips (they sound a bit different) will have the sound you're thinking of with yours, because that's a bit different than idle or revving in park. I used a Sony Cybershot digital camera to make the clip, and when I kneeled down behind the VX it did seem to pick up more of that "beer bottle" sound. I have heard people talk about that but have never heard my VX do it except on that clip. Standing right there when I did it, neither you nor I would have heard that. Maybe the camera picks up the higher pitches better (man, when I crank up the sound on my computer that seatbelt warning beep is painful). Sounded alright to me though, and you can ask anyone who has heard it up close and personal. Got lots of compliments at the rallycross because it sounded "real mean", so I dunno. Mine is the PV2, which is the deeper-sounding of the two PVs.

jayfotos
03/31/2004, 02:28 PM
Sounds right to me, I got the PV2 too....

Like I said, when you floor it....can get a bit anoying.....tooling around, sounds good.

Watch it boys, that's my wife your drooling over!;)

ScottinMA
03/31/2004, 03:12 PM
That's your wife??!!

I have the original PV1...not the catback (had the catback and something about it didn't work for me so I sold it). It's a must have due to the super charger.

Scott

WormGod
03/31/2004, 03:30 PM
Ya, video must really toy with the sound. No big deal. Yuo still have to hear it in person to fully understand the goodness of it.

Jay, I certainly hope that's not your wife.... cause I have seen other forums that use that same avatar. :p

jayfotos
03/31/2004, 06:20 PM
Not the wife...kid'n;)

WormGod
03/31/2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by jayfotos
Not the wife...kid'n;)

So was I.

:p