PDA

View Full Version : HotShot intake downfall?

WormGod
02/24/2004, 12:39 PM
Well, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to take off the HotShot intake and replace the stock airbox. Performance change? Hardly. Afterall, it's only an intake. The only change I noticed was my fuel efficiency.

With HotShot intake - avg. 230-250 full tank

Stock - avg. 280-300 full tank

It sure looks pretty and all, but I just don't know if it's worth it at this point. It's hard to say, but with winter here still, we are still using a winter-mix fuel as compared to warmer weather. I am gonna keep going with the stock for a couple of months and see what I decide on sticking with. It's very possible there will be a HotShot intake for sale here soon.

Also considering, this winter alone, I have gone through 3 filters for it. The salt and sand from the plows really make a mess of them things.

BTW, just for an extra blurb, it's now been 2 years with the PV1. All I can say is YEAH! The ultra deep throaty sound has trully set in and is here to stay. Great addition to any VX if you are looking for a great exhaust. I may have to get another just as a backup. :thumbup:

VX_PA
02/24/2004, 01:26 PM
First dibs on the intake if you decide to sell it!! E-mail or PM me how much?

Maybe we can work out some sort of trade for my 16" wheels with BFG's on them? We could take off what your asking from what I'm asking. Heck I'll even meet you halfway like near Frederick MD or something?

TDUB
02/24/2004, 04:31 PM
Hey W. God,

The muffler sounds like a good upgrade. Our VX's look so cool but the sound is a little on the "Trooper-ish" side.

What would you compare the sound of th PV to?

Tom

VXMAN
02/24/2004, 05:20 PM
WormGod, I've noticed the same thing with the gas mileage problem. I've been getting about 260-275 pre tank, ever since the Hotshot intake installation. I was getting about 290-310 before. I've been planning to remove mine as well. Anyone want it, let me know. Looks good but I need to stay away from the gas stations more often.

:D

Dave...

WormGod
02/24/2004, 05:51 PM
I'll keep ya in mind. ;)

Damned shame the intake is such a drag down though, cause it sure is purdy.

skunkworks
02/24/2004, 06:17 PM
VXMAN, got a PM

albert
________
buy scale (http://www.vaporshop.com/scales)

Dallas4u
02/24/2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by TDUB
Hey W. God,

The muffler sounds like a good upgrade. Our VX's look so cool but the sound is a little on the "Trooper-ish" side.

What would you compare the sound of th PV to?

Tom

Tom... not to knock your post, but where have you been man? There is almost ALWAYS talk of the PV. Do a search and you will find possibly TOO much info on the muffler... yup, too much! These questions have been asked over and over, so you are guaranteed to find many views on the sound and performance.

TDUB
02/24/2004, 07:34 PM
So Dallas,

What do you think of the muffler.

Tom

Dallas4u
02/24/2004, 08:12 PM
Well... if you searched, you'd know! ;)

Actually, I love mine. Best mod of the money if you ask me. I love my supercharger and everything else... but the PV was somewhat cheap and added extra needed hp. I love the sound and makes the VX sound like a brute.

TDUB
02/24/2004, 08:19 PM
D 4 U,

THANKS!!

Tom:cool:

Maverick
02/26/2004, 05:55 PM
just some thoughts on the cone filter type intakes, general ofcourse, as i havent tried one on a vx, but heres why..
.. in order to be effective, i think theyd need to be down pretty low, but youd not only be constanly changing filters (as above) , but also run the risk of hydrolocking your engine if you happen to hit a deep flooded road section. granted in the vx its gotta be pretty deep to risk that, but still..its 4x4, you never know. I have one in my 94 probe, if i were keeping it, id find a stock airbox.. im convinced its screwing up the engine management system,, not bad, but just enough to annoy me..im particular about the little things..

i was surprized so see the gas milage loss, thats a biggie there..
for me, i just decided to stick with the stock airbox, and picked up a K&N perfomance filter.. my vx feels slightly "crisper" and responsive now.. and im getting 360 miles to a tank with mixed driving, a/c on most of the time, and usually fill up with five or six gallons still in the tank.. not bad eh? ;Db;

I do think the powervault muffler is in my near future though, as soon as actually install the rest of the stuff ive bought so far...:rolleyes: ;Dy;

Dallas4u
02/26/2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Maverick
and im getting 360 miles to a tank with mixed driving, a/c on most of the time, and usually fill up with five or six gallons still in the tank.. not bad eh? ;Db;

Damn you... DAMN YOU!!!