PDA

View Full Version : 30k tune up..

jayfotos
02/23/2004, 04:32 PM
Went to my dealer today....they wanted $800! I told them to kiss my ***!

I called a Econo Lube n' Tune and asked them what their full survice was. I went down my list(what the dealer gave me) and that's what they'll do.

Their price.......$200- $300!

Is something wrong here?

Are dealers that bad?

Am I missing something?

:(

Anita
02/23/2004, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, depending on what dealer you go to the price fluctuates wildly. Here is an old thread comparing different experiences.

30 K thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1234&highlight=30+K)

Tone
02/23/2004, 04:58 PM
$800 is average for a dealer done 30K and should be considered IF you want them to side with you on questionable warranty items later on. Let them make some money on you sometimes and they will usually be there to help you in the future. Whomever you go to, make sure they are quoting the EXACT same work - flushing the tranny fluid is good but not the same as changing the filter which requires a lot of extra work like supporting the tranny while the crossmember is removed and then the pan removed and cleaned out - highly recommended if you care about having your tranny for a long time. I flushed the tranny at 15K and then replaced the filter at 30K, flushed at 45k, filter at 60K and so on.

Front wheel bearings definitely need to be repacked at 30K and that is a $150 job at most dealers. DIY if you are able but will take you at least an hour a side the first time if you have good tools.

jayfotos
02/23/2004, 05:02 PM
Thanks, read that tread....wanted to see if there were any new developments since it was a pretty old tread.

Dallas4u
02/23/2004, 05:07 PM
Agree with Tone on keeping the relationship good with the dealer. Dealers don't like dealing with warranty work (they make no money), so if they know you, or see you have come in for service work, they usually feel better about doing warranty work for their dedicated consumers.

As for the pricing on 30k service... it does vary, but I got a quote fo $450 from my closest (well, ONLY) dealer in the Portland area. $800 sounds like they are bending you over. If you can, find another dealer and check them out before going to an Econo-Lube or any other francise oil change shop. I don't trust them farther than I can throw my VX... that ain't far. I trust dealers more.

jayfotos
02/23/2004, 06:20 PM
I don't think my dealer gives to craps about me or anyone. They keep changing their service consultants, so I don't have a relationship with them....even though I brought it in 4 time s to ge tthe windows fixed....still don't work.

But, I do bring it in for all my oil changes.

ScottinMA
03/26/2004, 03:54 PM
I did my 30K today with my mechanic. Started around 11 AM and ended at 5 PM with both of us working together. Interesting findings included the discovery that the dirver's side Ft. wheel bearings were not sealed (seems that the Isuzu folks were in a hurry that day and didn't use any gasket paste resulting in much rust since water had seeped inside the housing. Passenger side was absolutely pristine as compared to driver's side. Then the discovery that Isuzu had a better idea when it came to transmissions. No dipstick. No way to check transmission fluid level. WTH??? Thanks to Dave S. in Carver, MA we were able to complete the job...thanks Dave... Still trying to figure out the thinking behind that plan not to mention dropping the cross member, dealing with the wire harness, holding pans full of ATF and attempting to get screws in the right place while ATH is running down your arm. This just doesn't make sense. Appreciated Spazz's post on the transmission pan drop. Wished we had his mother's telephone number! Anyway it's done and synthetics are installed. Can't imagine that the good people at Isuzu service would spend this amount of effort to do the 30K.

Scott

SPAZZ
03/26/2004, 07:49 PM
on my 30,000 mile servicing;Dp; .....Isuzu wanted $300 to service Tranny on top of the $300 they wanted for the 30,000 mile servicing...I told em no thanks...I'll do it

they wanted $40 each diff to change gear oil...again told em no thanks....

I would love to watch others do the tranny pans & filter thing change;Dp; ...it was very frustrating when I did mine until a good thing happened...that pump I was using fell apart....glad I found that Valvoline replacement pump

I hope that they did a power flush and not just a drain and fill to synthetics...as you would be mixing non synthetic and synthetic together

ScottinMA
03/27/2004, 04:36 AM
Just drained the diffs and added the synthetics, no power flush. I was in stitches reading about your mom saving the day with the pump purchase so you could meet the gf during visiting hours. We didn't have a good pump and sh _ _ was everywhere! Eventually solved that issue but it took a while trying out different pumping systems. We also ran into a problem changing out the antifreeze as the hose connects to the top of the engine and couldn't locate a plug on the bottom to drain all the fuid. So only able to drain the radiator. Will find a shop that will flush the system later. A movie could haved been made of dropping that tranny pan! It was quite a job.

Scott

SPAZZ
03/27/2004, 09:52 AM
it's all justified...they do ALOT of checking for you...

(technican inspecting meticulously all belts and hoses),,,"Yep, got hoses....Yep, got belts...charge em $200"...etc