PDA

View Full Version : New belt?

jayfotos
02/19/2004, 11:33 PM
I want to replace my belt with a new Motorcraft serpentine belt, but(I guess this a supercharger question) does the sc run off a separate belt, or a longer belt(suppied with the sc kit) is put in it's place?

I plan on getting the sc soon and I don't want to put on a new belt that will just be replaced when the sc is installed.

Thanks

Jay Dunford
02/20/2004, 04:52 AM
The SC adds a new crank pulley outside the stock one, a tension pulley and another new belt included with the kit. The stock belt remains the same. I have been using Goodyear Gatorbacks for the last two changes.

Cyrk
02/20/2004, 06:46 AM
Here is the belt that I am using:
Auto Zone 4060895 / 6PK2275 Goodyear Gatorback). $34.99 + (6PK2288)

Also you should get 2 new intake gaskets while your putting on the SC:
Isuzu P/N: 8-97237-538-0 list for $18.88 ea

jayfotos since your new here this is a great # to have, I get all my parts form these guys fast shipping & great prices:
http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/parts_department.asp?LINK=Parts&MAIN=parts_department

St. Charles Isuzu
1-800-727-8066

-Dave

jayfotos
02/20/2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

Dallas4u
02/20/2004, 03:46 PM
Can anyone let Jay know about the injector o-rings as well? I don't have a part(s) number, and I know people were ordering from their dealer and getting a single o-ring for like $18.

jayfotos
02/21/2004, 02:37 PM
So, I'm making my list of things to replace when putting in the sc.

I got-

1. Intake gaskets

2. new belt, Gatorback Goodyear

3.(not to sure about this one, need more insight) the injector o-rings?

SGT.BATGUANO
02/21/2004, 06:11 PM
Used o-rings sometimes swell and won't fit into the new s/c manifold without tearing. Some have even reported having to scotchbrite the new manifold's injector orifices to open them up enough to allow the injectors to fit properly. Some others just reported the fit problem to Alpine, who then shipped out a new intake.

jayfotos
02/21/2004, 06:33 PM
I did a rearch and read up on it....got me somewhat nervous.....again.

My plan it to buy the sc kit and all the stuff to replace....belts, gaskets and whatnot.

Hand it to a shop guy and GO.

I'm try to lessen the chances of "hang-ups" in the shop and make sure EVERYTHING is there for the installation for a smooooth install.

I plan on talking to the shop guy and make sure he fallows the instructions(seems that was a problem with some shops not fallowing them and screwing things up) and make sure he watches out for all these little "hang-ups".

VX922
02/21/2004, 07:13 PM
$18 for an "o" ring is outrages!
Alternatively for fraction of the cost "o" rings can be purchased in industrial supply store that deals with seals and bearings. If they see an old one they can possibly match it. Material I believe should be Viton on fuel side (grayish or brownish color) rather than Neoprene (black).

VX922

jayfotos
02/21/2004, 09:07 PM
I don't mind paying the $18....and what your saying is pull it out and "look" for one to match.

Remember, the idea here is to have a smooth installation with no hang ups....that's a hang up.

I read on another thread, this guy had his VX in the shop for a week....that's nuts!

I also plan to research shops and make sure they dedicate all there time to this project til it's done, hoping they will have done in a few days at the most. Telling them that the install should not take more than a day to do and letting them know "I know the deal" should keep them on the up and up.

With giving the shop all the "stuff" they need, letting them know I know how it should go down and without any hang ups should cut down on shop costs.

You agree?

VX922
02/21/2004, 11:45 PM
I agree however you might save few bucks.
What about if you phone around and find a supplier then buy one ring for $18 from Isuzu then let the supplier match it that will eliminate hang up. I would expect a dozen of rings would be less than $5 compared to $216 and you would have a set before dissasembly.
Other possibility is that the "o" rings are most likely still in good shape and reusable. My L98 has original "o" rings and I took the injectors out at least dozen of times. I don't have fuel or vacuum leaks and my intake is all artermarket. When I reinstall injectors I coat them with rubber grease made by bendix for rubber components on hydraulic brakes, then they go in easily.
Did you consider to do the work yourself, I think Tone has a step by step instruction posted and it looks like an easy weekend job.
You are correct it never hurts to talk to the shop bit prepared they will take you more seriously I think.

VX922

jayfotos
02/22/2004, 12:09 AM
I think(from what I understand) $18 is a "bag-o-rings", different sizes and stuff. It's overkill, but will eliminate any guesswork and will have plenty to spare.
As for doing it myself, I would love to! But, I don't have the space to do it nor the tools. Plus I want to make SURE it's done right. I plan on printing out that Tone instructions and giving it to the shop, but I'm sure it comes with the kit.....hope.

I started a new thread, a checklist if you will....

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3341

VX922
02/22/2004, 07:08 AM
I looks like you have all your ducks lined up, good luck.
VX922